• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

isny

napkin dispenser
Guardian Bob said:
Looking at the front page, why does every box design look different?

They're not completely different, they share some similarities, but it's no reason in particular, just Disney being Disney.

kunonabi

I'll be picking up The Little Mermaid and Cinderella for sure as they are my two favorite Disney films of all time.

I really want to see The Lion King too.

I would get Aladdin but I refuse to watch Casey Kasem's version.

DJ_Tet

Banned
For those overly concerned with slip covers have you ordered from Disney Movie Club?

I got the three vaulted titles for about $70 total last week and they all came with slip covers. The prices there are pretty high but they often have sales, like last week every blu was half price after the first one. Made it more bearable for Snow White, Pinocchio and Fantasia/2000.

Not sure if all their movies come with slip covers but I was pleasantly surprised that two somewhat older movies did (SW and Pinocchio, Fantasia obviously isn't as old.)

BDCasbox

Neo Member
Hunchback of Notre Dame needs to be released already. Such an underappreciated Disney film. (well at least mainstream) It doesn't even need to be a Diamond Release.

JdFoX187

Banned
Disney has or will release five of their movies on blu ray this year, including some absolute classics like Bambi and The Lion King. I wonder if they'll keep that accelerated pace into next year as well. The Lady and the Tramp is in the spring, but it's not Diamond Edition. Anyone have a list of the remaining Diamond releases?

FOOTE

JdFoX187 said:
Disney has or will release five of their movies on blu ray this year, including some absolute classics like Bambi and The Lion King. I wonder if they'll keep that accelerated pace into next year as well. The Lady and the Tramp is in the spring, but it's not Diamond Edition. Anyone have a list of the remaining Diamond releases?
I think Lady and the Tramp actually is a Diamond Edition.

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Walt_Disney_Diamond_Editions <-- That link lists what I've seen a few times as the anticipated Diamond releases.

JdFoX187

Banned
FOOTE said:
I think Lady and the Tramp actually is a Diamond Edition.

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Walt_Disney_Diamond_Editions <-- That link lists what I've seen a few times as the anticipated Diamond releases.
Oh wow, did not know that. Is the Peter Pan date correct? Looking at that list, I hope Jungle Book is next fall's blu ray release. Absolutely love that film. That would just leave Cinderella, Peter Pan, 101 Dalmations and The Little Mermaid, which I've seen rumored for 2013.

If they somehow managed to release Lady and the Tramp, Aladdin and The Jungle Book next year, I'd die a happy man on Dec. 21, 2012.

FOOTE

JdFoX187 said:
Oh wow, did not know that. Is the Peter Pan date correct? Looking at that list, I hope Jungle Book is next fall's blu ray release. Absolutely love that film. That would just leave Cinderella, Peter Pan, 101 Dalmations and The Little Mermaid, which I've seen rumored for 2013.

If they somehow managed to release Lady and the Tramp, Aladdin and The Jungle Book next year, I'd die a happy man on Dec. 21, 2012.
No one really knows the dates. The order of the films is not official and really the films aren't either, it's more of a rumour that I think everyone is going with until Disney says otherwise.

tha_devil said:
Why doesnt usa have dumbo on blu ray yet. Because i have it since some weeks allready.

Folks in the US can now preorder Dumbo.

For anyone interested, the Fox and the Hound release is up fro preorder and has a $5 off coupon at amazon.

vazel

Banned
Where did they get that Peter Pan date? Just a date pulled out of someone's ass I presume. I hope we get The Little Mermaid this year or early next year. That's the only other movie besides Beauty and the Beast that I really want.

Edit: Wait wtf Aladdin isn't going to be a Diamond Edition? I don't buy it. It's one of the Disney Renaissance greats.

D-Fens

BDCasbox said:
Hunchback of Notre Dame needs to be released already. Such an underappreciated Disney film. (well at least mainstream) It doesn't even need to be a Diamond Release.

Very true. It's definitely one of my favorites, can't wait to own it already

JdFoX187

Banned
Just saw my Dumbo preorder was down to $16.99 on Amazon. Pretty damn good deal, and I'm sure it'll pull a Bambi and drop down to $12.99. Hope Fox and the Hound does the same.

Alucrid

Banned
FOOTE said:
No one really knows the dates. The order of the films is not official and really the films aren't either, it's more of a rumour that I think everyone is going with until Disney says otherwise.

Folks in the US can now preorder Dumbo.

For anyone interested, the Fox and the Hound release is up fro preorder and has a $5 off coupon at amazon.

Fuck yes. Watched Tangle, Bambi and Snow White earlier. So good.gif. Tangle was especially impressive in the visual department.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Hmm I tried to preorder Fox and the Hound and ran into an Amazon quirk maybe someone can help me with.

I have $17.50 in trade-in credit. When I clip the $5 coupon, it gets lumped in with this credit.

In essence I can either use the credit and coupon and have F&H cost about $6, or I can 'unclick' the credit and pay full price. When I click on payment options, it shows both items listed but I can only apply either the whole total or none.

How long do I have to pre-order this movie before the coupon goes away? I might have to burn the trade-in credit before-hand or end up sitting on it for months until the movie releases.

Alucrid

Banned
DJ_Tet said:
Hmm I tried to preorder Fox and the Hound and ran into an Amazon quirk maybe someone can help me with.

I have $17.50 in trade-in credit. When I clip the $5 coupon, it gets lumped in with this credit.

In essence I can either use the credit and coupon and have F&H cost about $6, or I can 'unclick' the credit and pay full price. When I click on payment options, it shows both items listed but I can only apply either the whole total or none.

How long do I have to pre-order this movie before the coupon goes away? I might have to burn the trade-in credit before-hand or end up sitting on it for months until the movie releases.

Try contacting Amazon's customer service?

johnsmith

remember me
DJ_Tet said:

Preorder something that isn't out yet, the credit will be used on that. Then put in the order for fox and the hound. Then cancel your preorder and you'll get your credit back.

DJ_Tet

Banned
johnsmith said:
Preorder something that isn't out yet, the credit will be used on that. Then put in the order for fox and the hound. Then cancel your preorder and you'll get your credit back.

Now you're talking :) Thanks!

And yes I'm sure Amazon CS would take care of it too. They have been very helpful in almost every case.

JdFoX187

Banned
DJ_Tet said:
Now you're talking :) Thanks!

And yes I'm sure Amazon CS would take care of it too. They have been very helpful in almost every case.
Actually, I ran into this exact same issue a couple weeks back when trying to preorder The Lion King, ironically. I had to get the CS representative give me an $8 credit on the order. She couldn't separate the gift card credit and the coupon. Only problem is if the movie drops in price to the $64.99 or whatever it is, I won't get that $8 drop as well. Oh well. But your idea was much better.

vazel said:
Edit: Wait wtf Aladdin isn't going to be a Diamond Edition? I don't buy it. It's one of the Disney Renaissance greats.
i heard it's because it sold the least of any of the platinum editions. it's getting a blu-ray release next year for the 20th anniversary

speaking of aladdin, thief and the cobbler needs a blu-ray, preferably a restored/fully animated version of richard williams' workprint.

edit: just a day or so after this I found out Miramax licensed out a ton of their movies to some distribution company and Thief and the Cobbler was one of them. and it's the bullshit theatrical version where matthew broderick and jonathan winters never shut the hell up. and on top of that, it's pan and scan.

this movie came out 16 years ago why is this still happening

Drac

Not to spoil the party but I seem to be victim of a case of bad luck with the bluray Toy Story 3. Previews work ok but when comes the time to show the main menu to launch the movie, I'm just greeted by a black screen and nothing happens, nothing loads (using a ps3, same with the bonus bluray).
I'll just try to get it changed tomorrow at the store but I wanted to know if some other gaffer had a similar problem with this movie (or other ones) as this is the first time I encountered this problem. Had to watch Pirates of the Caribbeans instead :( not that it's a bad movie (the first one) but it kind of broke my cycle...

Try disconnecting it from the internet.

I had a similar issue with TS2, it's trying to load something that requires online, and it's not working for whatever reason.

Drac

Thanks but that didn't do the trick :( Trade it for a new one and still the same, so either my ps3 doesn't like Toy Story 3 (didn't had any problem with the first 2 or any of my other bluray) or I'm freaking unlucky and got the only 2 boxes that are fucked.
Tried in all available language, with or without Internet connection...
I'll go to the store tomorrow again and ask the clerk to try it on their player, not that I'm worried about my console but it's really strange that just this one (and its bonus disk) doesn't work on it.

Alucrid

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is there any way to get the $8 coupon for dumbo and the $8 coupon for buying that with lion king?

Huh? They had an $8 coupon for The Lion King, then that expired. I think the two are completely separate.

just picked up princess & the frog double disk and fantasia 2000 (which in the uk was one disk only, which is really odd/annoying as i've yet to get a blu ray). only need to get beauty and the beast and my collection'll be complete.
until tangled comes out in two weeks time, haha. looking forward to that one mind, should be good!

Duo014

Dumbo is already out in Belgium.

I have Fantasia 1 + 2 / Sleeping Beauty / Pinokio / Snow white /

I still need bambi / alice in wonderland / dumbo / Beauty and the beast /princess and the frog

(those titels are already out in Belgium and there is an action 1+1 free blu ray disney (FRS & Fnac))

are there any i'm missing?

isny

napkin dispenser
http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney...-lion-king-3d-bluray-bonus-features-revealed/

"Lion King Blu Ray Special Features Revealed

We have confirmation that The Lion King will support Disney’s Second Screen technology which allows viewers to use their home computer/laptop or Apple iPad and a free app to view bonus content in sync along with the film. The technology has previously been offered with the blu-ray releases of Bambi and TRON: Legacy. At this time, we do not know if there will be any exclusives on the 3D Blu-ray disc but we will update this article as more information becomes available.

In addition to Second Screen support, the 2D Blu-ray disc contains:

* Pride of the Lion King
* The Lion King: A Memoir ? Don Hahn
* Bloopers and Outtakes
* Deleted and Alternate Scenes and Song
* The Morning Report (Extended Scene)
* Disney Sing Along Mode
* Interactive Blu-ray Gallery
* Disney’s Virtual Vault — DVD Legacy Bonus

The DVD edition will contain only the bloopers and outtakes."

Ookami-kun said:
How long does it usually take for something to appear as a bluray release - the old movies I mean.
there's not generally like a set order

something like The Lion King is going to be re-released first before something like The Black Cauldron just because more people want it.

JdFoX187

Banned
Ookami-kun said:
How long does it usually take for something to appear as a bluray release - the old movies I mean.
It's up to Disney when they release. At the pace they're going, with four or five movies a year, the majority of their catalog should be available on blu ray within the next two or three years.

Just give me Jungle Book, Lady and the Tramp and Aladdin next year and I'll be content.

isny said:
The Blu Ray of Laputa is getting great reviews =D

Looking forward to getting mine this coming week!

I am waiting for the NA release for this, already grabbed the Japanese release but I will double dip just to get some of the extras subtitled (also because I decided to collect the rest under the NA Disney releases since the Japanese release costs 3 times as much). Fantastic picture quality, cannot wait for the NA release.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Leshita said:
I am waiting for the NA release for this, already grabbed the Japanese release but I will double dip just to get some of the extras subtitled (also because I decided to collect the rest under the NA Disney releases since the Japanese release costs 3 times as much). Fantastic picture quality, cannot wait for the NA release.

I just wish they'd use the Japanese box arts.

johnsmith

remember me
I just watched the Princess and the Frog. It was really good. The animation is probably the best they've ever done. I actually liked all the characters and I thought the villain was pretty cool. The songs were good, but obviously no match for their classics. Between this and Tangled I have to say that Disney is back.

johnsmith said:
I just watched the Princess and the Frog. It was really good. The animation is probably the best they've ever done. I actually liked all the characters and I thought the villain was pretty cool. The songs were good, but obviously no match for their classics. Between this and Tangled I have to say that Disney is back.
Randy Newman made The Princess And The Frog suck ass all on his own. My GOD I hate his music. The Pixar movies he's involved in are great in spite of his hand in them, but a musically centered movie like this... ugh.

I just realized that I would really love to see Atlantis on Blu-ray. I was reminded of it today by the French animation The Illusionist (2010)... I remember Atlantis had a French-influenced art style, and it was beautiful.

vazel

Banned
Naked Snake said:
I just realized that I would really love to see Atlantis on Blu-ray. I was reminded of it today by the French animation The Illusionist (2010)... I remember Atlantis had a French-influenced art style, and it was beautiful.
That's one of my personal favorites. The humor in the movie was not good but I love the old pulp adventure tone of the movie. I have an HDTV rip of the movie that I often watch but I'd love to see a higher quality BD treatment. It'll probably be the last of Disney's Golden and Renaissance age movies we'll see on BD since it was not well regarded.

vazel said:
That's one of my personal favorites. The humor in the movie was not good but I love the old pulp adventure tone of the movie. I have an HDTV rip of the movie that I often watch but I'd love to see a higher quality BD treatment. It'll probably be the last of Disney's Golden and Renaissance age movies we'll see on BD since it was not well regarded.

Seeing this reminds me I haven't watched the movie since it came out. Looks like it may be time to put it in my Netflix queue.

isny

napkin dispenser
johnsmith said:
A few people still get physical discs from Netflix. Crazy, right?

Also I feel dirty even mentioning this, but there's an $8 coupon for Bambi 2 on Amazon. Even if they price match and it ends up being $10 or something I'm still not touching this crap.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0051SFSDA/

I'm not either, it's not worth the $10.00. If only Disney had done what they did in the UK and released it along with the first Bambi Blu Ray release a few months ago. I would have paid another $5.00 if it had included it packed in, but nothing more than that.

For those of you who missed it, RCSS and Loblaws here in Canada have the X-Men TAS DVD's on sale for $9.99 per season. (They also have WB TV sets like Batman TAS, Freakazoid, Tiny Toons, etc. on for around the same price) You can see my post in the pick up thread for photos =)

My Laputa just came in as well!

2cn8in8.jpg

Top Bottom