• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Ovid

From NewEgg:

18hll4.jpg

Aegus

Ordered the following on Thursday

- Up
- Dumbo
- Bambi
- A Bug's Life
- Alice in Wonderland
- Wall-E
- Ratatouille
- Monsters Inc.

Also just ordered Snow White.

I don't mind that I missed Pinocchio and Sleeping Beauty since they didn't come under the Diamond edition branding. That would have annoyed the hell out of me in the future.

Anth0ny

Aegus said:
Ordered the following on Thursday

- Up
- Dumbo
- Bambi
- A Bug's Life
- Alice in Wonderland
- Wall-E
- Ratatouille
- Monsters Inc.

Also just ordered Snow White.

I don't mind that I missed Pinocchio and Sleeping Beauty since they didn't come under the Diamond edition branding. That would have annoyed the hell out of me in the future.

so are they definitely going to release Pinocchio in the future under the Diamond edition branding? Or is that just wishful thinking?

Aegus

Anth0ny said:
so are they definitely going to release Pinocchio in the future under the Diamond edition branding? Or is that just wishful thinking?

Wishful thinking on my part. Although Disney would be idiots not to loop round again.

MicH

I don't care for the slips either. They're really pretty, but because I just got my Disney Blu Rays and not a single one came with a slip, I've decided to not keep ones I eventually get.

Also, I love the extras on these Blu rays. So amazing.

ALSO a question: I'm kind of torn wherether to get Fantasia (and/or 2000) or not. Never watched either, but they seem to be loved by many. In Denmark they're released separately and quite expensive. Are they worth the buy?

EDIT: I believe Disney are releasing both Pinocchio and Sleeping Beauty as a Diamond Edition on Blu Ray in a few years. Hopefully they do, because I, too, missed Sleeping Beauty :p

MicH said:
ALSO a question: I'm kind of torn wherether to get Fantasia (and/or 2000) or not. Never watched either, but they seem to be loved by many. In Denmark they're released separately and quite expensive. Are they worth the buy?
Abso-freaking-lutely.

Fantasia more so than Fantasia 2000, but 2000 is still really good.

johnsmith

remember me
I just watched Beauty and the Beast for the first time since the 90s last night. Wow. Just wow.

The animation was beautiful. The story pacing was perfect. Every song was great. I had forgotten how amazing this movie was. The "Be our Guest" sequence blew me away.

Michan

I was having a look through my Disney BDs after signing up for Club Disney Rewards, and three of them are missing codes: Ratatouille, Monsters Inc., and Toy Story 1/2 double pack.

I simply don't touch any contents other than the disc, and since I live alone with my partner it's unlikely that somebody else has pinched/lost them... unless they were gutted when we bought them, but I don't think so.

Has anybody else had this problem?

MicH

BertramCooper said:
Abso-freaking-lutely.

Fantasia more so than Fantasia 2000, but 2000 is still really good.
Thanks, I'll definitely look into it.

I just watched Dumbo for the first time in so many years. And I cried. I cried like a baby. Goddamn, I've never experienced anything like this. Even when I watched the bonus material and any scene with a sad Dumbo showed up, I teared up again. Incredible.

When watching the DVD bonus material on the Blu-ray, the quality difference in the picture is really noticable. Huge difference!

I really love Dumbo, he's so cute, but I don't think I can bear to watch it again anytime soon.

JdFoX187

Banned
Great news about Dumbo. Wasn't it The Lady and the Tramp or Fox and the Hound that was supposed to be released during that month, according to some insert? Guess it got delayed for Dumbo.

I still don't understan why we got Dumbo here last year (UK) but still not in America yet.

Hope we get the 8 disc lion king here though, never seen the sequels and they may be crap but with a baby boy on the way I would rather he watched bad Disney films than bad modern crap.

Kato

What really REALLY bugs me is the sound on all of the Disney Blurays (and other bd's in general). We are Dutch and our daughter of three just looooves her Disney movies. So whenever she gets the chance she wants to watch a movie. In Dutch ofc.

So there she goes, all curled up in the corner of the "movie-couch" firmly holding her Eeyore and Buzz Lightyear pluche and there I go grinding my teeth. Knowing the BD's hold an awesome HD soundtrack and yet I have to settle for a "standard" 5.1 DTS instead of the 5.1 or 7.1 DTS HD Master because well you know the Dutch VA is not in hi-def. Because I love the movies and I have no problems with some of the Dutch VA mainly due to the choices of voice-actors; We have some great ones here in Holland.. But yeah my Onkyo screams for the tracks in HD.

F.R.U.S.T.R.A.T.I.N.G

Whats the deal here? Space on the BD or just lazy ass work of the Dutch recording/re-dubbing studio's? Or like most things a matter of money?

And sure whenever we get the chance the Misses and I do watch them in English for the superior VA, but still.. aaah.

Jomjom

Banned
Jeff Albertson said:
I still don't understan why we got Dumbo here last year (UK) but still not in America yet.

Hope we get the 8 disc lion king here though, never seen the sequels and they may be crap but with a baby boy on the way I would rather he watched bad Disney films than bad modern crap.

UK gets everything before the US now. Movies, games, everything!

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
I just watched Song of the South which is never coming out of the Vault. It has a hell of a twist ending. So at the end of the movie little Johnny
sees Uncle Remus leaving and tries to intercept him by cutting through a pasture. The bull in the pasture runs Johnny down and by the time they pull em out he's in a coma and near death. So as Johnny is laying in his death bed his absent father finally returns but can't coax Johnny out of his coma. Someone must of caught up to Uncle Remus because he returns and goes to Johnny and starts telling him the story of how Br'er Rabbit goes to his laughing place. This seems to work and Johnny wakes from his coma and reaches for Uncle Remus's hand. Then we break to some time later and Johnny is running and playing with his friends. Uncle Remus who is also in the vicinity is shocked when he see's Br'er Rabbit and other characters from his stories appear and start interacting with the Johnny and the kids. They then all run off into the sunset together and the story ends happily ever after. It's not explicitly stated but I think Johnny never woke from his coma. /inception

isny

napkin dispenser
Only a few days left until Laputa ships to me =D

After just getting to watch Nausicca recently, I'm really looking forward to Laputa. (Hopefully the PQ ends up being good enough to be worth the import)

I had completely blanked that April 30th came and went because I was on a 4-Day road trip. I'm going to Best Buy first thing in the morning to pick up Fantasia.

Edit: Got it. They had NONE at Target but they had at least 15-20 copies of the Blue Ray and DVD versions each. Only three of the BRs had slip covers, though, so thank goodness for that.

MrMan2k3

Dumbo coupons are available on Amazon.

The coupon is for $8 off, and Amazon currently has Dumbo priced at $27.99, so you can get Dumbo shipped for $19.99. Hopefully the price will decrease a bit more before release too.

Also, Fox and the Hound (Blu-ray combo-pack with Fox and the Hound 2) will be released on June 7th. The link has since been taken down, but it was listed on Disney's website earlier.

BertramCooper said:
I just added Dumbo to the list of upcoming releases in the OP.

Thanks for the heads-up!

No problem, because it's the offseason, of course. From September to early January we'll be at war.

isny

napkin dispenser
MrMan2k3 said:
Dumbo coupons are available on Amazon.

The coupon is for $8 off, and Amazon currently has Dumbo priced at $27.99, so you can get Dumbo shipped for $19.99. Hopefully the price will decrease a bit more before release too.

Also, Fox and the Hound (Blu-ray combo-pack with Fox and the Hound 2) will be released on June 7th. The link has since been taken down, but it was listed on Disney's website earlier.

Didn't get an email. Thanks for the heads up =)

FOOTE

Guardian Bob said:
I thought Aladdin was cut from the "Diamond Edition" series?
Even if is was cut, which I believe I read that it was somewhere, that doesn't mean that it will not be released on blu-ray.

JdFoX187

Banned
Guardian Bob said:
I thought Aladdin was cut from the "Diamond Edition" series?
It was cut from the Diamond Series, but it will probably still be out next year. Right now, Disney only has The Lady and the Tramp scheduled for release, and that's in Fall/March. Wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear about Aladdin and maybe one or two other movies coming out next year, especially if they hold to this year's schedule. Would really hope they'd release The Jungle Book too. Absolutely loved that movie.

Anth0ny

Got Beauty and the Beast and Snow White today!

mint condish with the slipcovers. Then again, I couldn't care less about slipcovers. But they're shiny =D

Anth0ny said:
Got Beauty and the Beast and Snow White today!

mint condish with the slipcovers. Then again, I couldn't care less about slipcovers. But they're shiny =D

I always recycle the covers. They are kinda useless and the cases look better on a shelf without em.

isny

napkin dispenser
Just a heads up for you Canadians. In next weeks ads, there seem to be price drops on a few Disney Blu Rays.

isny

napkin dispenser
JdFoX187 said:
Great news about Dumbo. Wasn't it The Lady and the Tramp or Fox and the Hound that was supposed to be released during that month, according to some insert? Guess it got delayed for Dumbo.

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney...d-30th-anniversary-disney-bluray-begins-june/

Fox and the Hound will be released on June 7th. That's four months before Dumbo's September 20th release date.

Dumbo has dropped to $24.99 btw, so hopefully Amazon will adjust the price for those of us who pre-ordered and used the $8.00 coupon.

isny

napkin dispenser
Guardian Bob said:
Yeah? I need basically everything diamond edition...

Yup. Snow White, Princess and the Frog, and Beauty and the Beast combo packs are $25 at WalMart,

Best Buy has all three Pirates combo packs on Blu Ray for $9.99 each when you buy Pirates for one of the three home consoles at $49.99 each which include $10 in RZ credit with purchase.

Best Buy also has the Princess and the Frog Blu Ray combo pack for $19.99 and the Enchanted Blu Ray combo pack for $16.99. (Along with Snow White and B&TB for the same $25 prices as WalMart)

(Granted, you can order all of those together from Amazon.com for about the same price on any given day, and that's without the random price drops they have)

MrMan2k3

Fox and the Hound is available for pre-order on Amazon now.

$27.99 and no promotions or coupons at the moment.

Amazon says the release date is August 9th. The latest rumor is that the June release date mentioned earlier is exclusive to Disney Movie Club members and everyone else has to wait until August.

vazel

Banned
woahitsreeo said:
Ordered Enchanted on the cheap from Amazon a few days ago and got it today. Is it supposed to come with a slipcover?
It's not unusual for later shipments of a movie to come without a slipcover. You can sometimes call the distributor to request a slipcover if it bugs you.

Top Bottom