• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

lo escondido

Apartheid is, in fact, not institutional racism
isny said:
I'm not either, it's not worth the $10.00. If only Disney had done what they did in the UK and released it along with the first Bambi Blu Ray release a few months ago. I would have paid another $5.00 if it had included it packed in, but nothing more than that.

For those of you who missed it, RCSS and Loblaws here in Canada have the X-Men TAS DVD's on sale for $9.99 per season. (They also have WB TV sets like Batman TAS, Freakazoid, Tiny Toons, etc. on for around the same price) You can see my post in the pick up thread for photos =)

My Laputa just came in as well!

2cn8in8.jpg

I always laugh when I see Laputa, its Castle in the Sky to me.

isny

napkin dispenser
Naked Snake said:
holy shit when did Laputa get released

About a month ago. It's a UK only release though, so you have to have a Blu Ray player capable of playing any region BR disc. (Or a PC BR drive)

isny

napkin dispenser
Game Analyst said:
When are the US release dates for Finding Nemo and Castle in the Sky on Blu-ray?

Nemo is next year I do believe. Castle in the Sky is probably years away, as it was only just release on DVD recently here in North America.

Magnus

$10 volumes of X-Men TAS in Canada?! :eek:

Man, I may have to bite on that.

I hate that the episodes are out of order on the discs though. Or...were they aired out of order and this is the actual order? Fuck.

isny said:
Nemo is next year I do believe. Castle in the Sky is probably years away, as it was only just release on DVD recently here in North America.

Uh Castle in the Sky has been out on DVD in the US since like 2006 that I know of.

isny

napkin dispenser
Couples notes.

Just got my Pinocchio replacement disc. Just in time too, with Canada Post about to strike >.>

Also, Nausicaa and World of Wonder seem to both be at new lows. $17.99 for Nausicaa, and $20.49 for WoW.

The Lion King also dropped in price, so those of you who ordered the Two Disc and Four Disc Blu Rays with the $8.00 coupon, check your order to make sure your price dropped to $24.99 and $29.99 pre coupon respectively.

isny said:
I'm not either, it's not worth the $10.00. If only Disney had done what they did in the UK and released it along with the first Bambi Blu Ray release a few months ago. I would have paid another $5.00 if it had included it packed in, but nothing more than that.

For those of you who missed it, RCSS and Loblaws here in Canada have the X-Men TAS DVD's on sale for $9.99 per season. (They also have WB TV sets like Batman TAS, Freakazoid, Tiny Toons, etc. on for around the same price) You can see my post in the pick up thread for photos =)

My Laputa just came in as well!

2cn8in8.jpg

Castle in the Sky BR? holy MFing shit, when did this happene?

isny

napkin dispenser
levious said:
2003 release was disney as well...

I get that now, I thought it was only recently that Disney acquired the rights.

Ken Masters said:
Castle in the Sky BR? holy MFing shit, when did this happene?

It's only been released in Europe so far. It was released about a month ago.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
isny said:
I get that now, I thought it was only recently that Disney acquired the rights.

pretty sure all US home releases after Mononoke were through Disney.

johnsmith

remember me
Just confirmed my order for Fox and the Hound blu-ray through the Disney movie club. At 24.99 shipped it was going to be the cheapest way to get my last commitment title.

I've never even seen this, and really don't want the shitty sequel, but at this point there's no way I won't be able to complete this list.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sources_for_Disney_theatrical_animated_features

HjPqH.jpg

If anybody is still looking for Sleeping Beauty I would check your Blockbusters. While checking out 8 blockbusters in this area for the 5 for $20 and 99 cent sales I saw about 4 copies of Sleeping Beauty for 16.99, though it probably doesn't come with the 2nd bluray of special features.

polyh3dron said:
Randy Newman made The Princess And The Frog suck ass all on his own. My GOD I hate his music. The Pixar movies he's involved in are great in spite of his hand in them, but a musically centered movie like this... ugh.

But Randy Newman IS New Orleans, so his music fits the motif.

isny

napkin dispenser
Future Shop here in Canada has a bunch of Disney BR titles on sale currently.

Some notables include Alice (live action) $19.99, Nightmare $19.99, Bridge to Terabithia $9.99, etc.

These deals seem to be in store only, so YMMV. =)

isny

napkin dispenser
isny said:
Future Shop here in Canada has a bunch of Disney BR titles on sale currently.

Some notables include Alice (live action) $19.99, Nightmare $19.99, Bridge to Terabithia $9.99, etc.

These deals seem to be in store only, so YMMV. =)

Nausicaa also seems to be $19.99 =D

DJ_Lae

Will definitely buy Nightmare at that price.

I managed to snag a copy of Sleeping Beauty from a closing Blockbuster (new, sealed...and actually, I got two, because man is it hard to find and I'm sure someone needs one), so now I've got all the currently released Blu-rays.

Haven't watched about half a dozen of them, though, which is sad.

Oozer3993

I got an email from Amazon a couple days ago apologizing for having not sent out The Lion King Blu-ray yet. Even though it doesn't come out until October lol. They put the release date as October 4th.

Magnus said:
OP's missing Sleeping Beauty and it says VALUTED instead of VAULTED for the vaulted blurays.

I love you Bertram!!
Haha, thanks for the spelling correction.

And I took Sleeping Beauty off because it's pretty much gone.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
isny said:
About a month ago. It's a UK only release though, so you have to have a Blu Ray player capable of playing any region BR disc. (Or a PC BR drive)

is it region coded? seems odd for a Disney archive release.

Great news though, as I'm in the UK and I recently got a UK region bluray player bundled with my TV (previously relying on a JPN region A PS3)

any other Ghibli releases coming soon? Ghibli and Disney are among the only discs I plan to double dip on DVD->bluray

ooh, noticed Nausicaa is out too. Already have ponyo Japanese bluray (bloody hell that was expensive)

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
BertramCooper said:
And I took Sleeping Beauty off because it's pretty much gone.
I dare say that it might be worthwhile to have a "Valuted and Gone" list under the "On the Horizon" section just to be thorough.

isny

napkin dispenser
mrklaw said:
is it region coded? seems odd for a Disney archive release.

Great news though, as I'm in the UK and I recently got a UK region bluray player bundled with my TV (previously relying on a JPN region A PS3)

any other Ghibli releases coming soon? Ghibli and Disney are among the only discs I plan to double dip on DVD->bluray

ooh, noticed Nausicaa is out too. Already have ponyo Japanese bluray (bloody hell that was expensive)

Disney doesn't release Ghibli titles overseas, so the company that does region locks them to the UK. (Which you can get around with luckily by using a PC Blu Ray drive or a region free Blu Ray player)

I haven't watched Totoro in years, haven't even seen the new Disney redub, because I know the minute I buy it on DVD they're gonna announce the Blu-Ray and I'd rather just wait for that. UGHHH it's one of my favoritesssss toooooooo

Duderz

Banned
WordAssassin said:
I haven't watched Totoro in years, haven't even seen the new Disney redub, because I know the minute I buy it on DVD they're gonna announce the Blu-Ray and I'd rather just wait for that. UGHHH it's one of my favoritesssss toooooooo

We typically get our Ghibli movies 6 or so months after Japan gets theirs, and since Totoro hasn't been announced there yet, I'd say you've got a long wait.

Samara

There's something buging me in my copy of Princess and the frog and Beauty and the beast. I can't make the work in progress fill the entire screen. Or am I being fooled, I swear I saw this on YT once. Can I

I had a dream last night where Cinderella was released with a DLC, I sleepwalked to my PC, looking endlessly for it. then went back to sleep. Lol

Famassu

Anybody want some of those Movie Reward codes that come with Disney/Pixar Blu-rays? I've imported all of them from the UK and it says that all the shit you can get requires a UK or Ireland address, so they are probably useless for me. I've pretty much got all of the blu-rays from the classics & Pixar movies except a select few (Sleeping Beauty, Cars, The Incredibles and a sequel like Bambi 2).

Famassu said:
Anybody want some of those Movie Reward codes that come with Disney/Pixar Blu-rays? I've imported all of them from the UK and it says that all the shit you can get requires a UK or Ireland address, so they are probably useless for me. I've pretty much got all of the blu-rays from the classics & Pixar movies except a select few (Sleeping Beauty, Cars, The Incredibles and a sequel like Bambi 2).

You got an Alice one dude or not? For some reason mine didn't come with one.

Also Pinochio but I don't think that ever had them did it?

Just used my last batch of points up to buy POTC 1,2 and 3

Thanks either way :)

Famassu

Jeff Albertson said:
You got an Alice one dude or not? For some reason mine didn't come with one.

Also Pinochio but I don't think that ever had them did it?

Just used my last batch of points up to buy POTC 1,2 and 3

Thanks either way :)
Yeah, I've got Alice. And yeah, I don't think Pinocchio had one. I'll PM you the Alice one.

demosthenes said:
Ugh, my copy weeps.

edit: Why would anyone buy Lion King when the 3D version will come out in a few months? Or are there so few 3D people to worry about that with? But I'd rather future proof myself >_<
3D gives me a headache so I'll probably go 2D with Lion King.

Is there any place that has the classic Donald Duck/Mickey Mouse/Goofy cartoon collections? I'm thinking about getting the Oswald DVD too.

Shadowlink said:
Is there any place that has the classic Donald Duck/Mickey Mouse/Goofy cartoon collections? I'm thinking about getting the Oswald DVD too.

You in America dude? I bought the goofy and Mickey ones from HMV but I'm in the UK.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Famassu said:

So these codes won't work with US DMR?

If it does, I'd take either Sleeping Beauty and/or Bambi 2.

Jeff Albertson said:
You in America dude? I bought the goofy and Mickey ones from HMV but I'm in the UK.
I haven't seen them in stores though. Amazon.com also ran out, and people sell them for over $100. :(

Edit: The Disney store doesn't even have the collections.

Famassu

Wario64 said:
So these codes won't work with US DMR?

If it does, I'd take either Sleeping Beauty and/or Bambi 2.
At least it says in the terms & conditions that you'd have to be from UK or Ireland (edit: that is, to have a UK or Ireland address). I assume that means they won't work for US.

And Sleeping Beauty & Bambi 2 (and the rest I mentioned) are the few blu-rays I still don't have. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

isny

napkin dispenser
Shadowlink said:
I haven't seen them in stores though. Amazon.com also ran out, and people sell them for over $100. :(

Edit: The Disney store doesn't even have the collections.

I bought a few of these through Amazon.co.uk. I bought the first Mickey, Complete Goofy, and Silly Symphonies from the UK. All have the exact same content as the U.S. releases.

Oswald is available for free through the DMR site, and all of the other ones I wanted I picked up from ebay.

BTW, still no news of a Fox and the Hound coupon yet, hopefully we hear something this week.

isny said:
I bought a few of these through Amazon.co.uk. I bought the first Mickey, Complete Goofy, and Silly Symphonies from the UK. All have the exact same content as the U.S. releases.

Oswald is available for free through the DMR site, and all of the other ones I wanted I picked up from ebay.

BTW, still no news of a Fox and the Hound coupon yet, hopefully we hear something this week.
Damn! I gotta start registering my Disney movies. I guess I'll order the Oswald one soon.

Anyone have any ideas on where I can purchase the other treasure collections?

Wow awesome thread, just discovered it in the midst of me wanting to recollect my Disney films in Blu-ray. Are there any other coupons other than the Lion King $8 one?

Also, since I understand Sleeping Beauty is a bit rare now, what was the original price on Amazon? Currently its $40 with fulfilment from Amazon. I'm thinking about getting it.

isny

napkin dispenser
Shadowlink said:
Damn! I gotta start registering my Disney movies. I guess I'll order the Oswald one soon.

Anyone have any ideas on where I can purchase the other treasure collections?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Walt-Disney-D23...?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item1c1d827f2b

These were available to D23 members up until about two weeks ago, they must have finally sold out. The cost was $599.

I'd say that's your best option for picking them all up. Also, that seller is willing to take offers, so you could get it for a bargain.

eastmen

Banned
demosthenes said:
Ugh, my copy weeps.

edit: Why would anyone buy Lion King when the 3D version will come out in a few months? Or are there so few 3D people to worry about that with? But I'd rather future proof myself >_<

have a brand new 3k 60 inch led tv , not going to go 3D for a very long time. By the time I go 3d we will have ultra hd haha

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
isny said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Walt-Disney-D23...?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item1c1d827f2b

These were available to D23 members up until about two weeks ago, they must have finally sold out. The cost was $599.
Geez, I would love to have that set. I missed out on too many of the early Treasures so I never bothered trying to collect them. Only one I couldn't resist otherwise was the Oswald set.

Here's hoping Disney starts releasing their Treasure collections again on Blu-ray.

One thing that just infuriates me about the Disney Treasures sets, is that I have the first 3 of Donald cartoons, and they made a SUPER low run of the 4th set, and EOL'd it really fast, so I'm missing the final set. My dad and I are SO pissed. Shitloads of the first 3 volumes on store shelves to this day, but Volume 4 is GONE. Rage.

How many points do we get for every Disney movie? Do Pixar movies count?

Dan said:
Geez, I would love to have that set. I missed out on too many of the early Treasures so I never bothered trying to collect them. Only one I couldn't resist otherwise was the Oswald set.

Here's hoping Disney starts releasing their Treasure collections again on Blu-ray.
I'm hoping so too. I really want those collections.

Duderz

Banned
Well, this is a bummer: No Princess Mononoke for U.S. for quite a long time.

http://www.animenews.biz/disney-confirms-princess-mononoke-no-longer-licensed-in-us-7015/

In separate emails to each respective company, both Disney (through their Buena Vista Home Video Entertainment division) and Echo Bridge distribution, the former distributor for the defunct Miramax label have confirmed that the US license for Studio Ghibli’s Princess Mononoke is no longer held by either company and has not been renewed, greatly reducing the chances of a domestic home video re-release.

Thank you for your interest in the Miramax product distributed by Echo Bridge Home Entertainment.
At this time we do not have the rights to the title you reference in your email.
Thank You,
Sincerely,
EBHE Customer Service
The response from Disney.
Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding PRINCESS MONONOKE. This title is no longer a BVHE title.
Sincerely,
Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment Consumer Relations
US and Canada
The film was licensed and distributed by Miramax Entertainment in 1999 and given an extremely limited theatrical run, which prompted Disney executives to complain about its “poor” box office performance despite the limited run in arthouse theaters and larger markets.

The home video release was also not without controversy, as celebrated fantasy writer Neil Gaiman was hired to provide a Westernized English dub script that essentially removed the references to Japanese folklore at the cost of its fidelity to the overall narrative along with initial plans to release the film without the original Japanese track, which forced the delay of the home video release after outcry from fans.

Despite the initial hurdles. the film was a success on home video for Disney/Miramax as it was the best selling anime DVD in January of 2001 owing to the distributor’s massive retail presence. The current probability for the film to be rescued for a new release on DVD/Blu-Ray is low, even for a Miyazaki film as Miramax is dead, with core assets transferred to the successor Weinstein Bros. production company while Disney has shown no interest in renewing the license itself and Echo Bridge is considered a poor choice due to its often criticized treatment of home video releases.

Top Bottom