• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

WordAssassin said:
One thing that just infuriates me about the Disney Treasures sets, is that I have the first 3 of Donald cartoons, and they made a SUPER low run of the 4th set, and EOL'd it really fast, so I'm missing the final set. My dad and I are SO pissed. Shitloads of the first 3 volumes on store shelves to this day, but Volume 4 is GONE. Rage.
We're in the same boat. The fucked up thing is I was really close to preordering that set and decided to hold off because I didn't have the funds at the time.

The Treasure sets I have:
Chronological Donald 1-3
On the Front Lines (War Time toons and various propaganda films)
Disneyland: Secrets, Stories, & Magic (so good)
Complete Goofy (UK release bought for like $8 shipped from Amazon UK)

Risette

A Good Citizen
The Ghibli JP release will definitely have English subs and the dub when it comes out, so it's not really a big deal. Sure, it's expensive, but if you really want it you'll pay up.

epmode

Aigis said:
The Ghibli JP release will definitely have English subs and the dub when it comes out, so it's not really a big deal. Sure, it's expensive, but if you really want it you'll pay up.
Oh man, good point. Japan is in the same blu ray region as America, right?

I'll buy.

markatisu

Shadowlink said:
How many points do we get for every Disney movie? Do Pixar movies count?

I'm hoping so too. I really want those collections.

Its usually like 125 pts for BD (or something close to that) , and 75-100 for DVD's

Pixar movies count

Movie theater tickets for any Disney or Pixar movie also count

Also sometimes they do double/triple points for events like Tron Legacy/Classic.

Desmond

Famassu said:
Anybody want some of those Movie Reward codes that come with Disney/Pixar Blu-rays? I've imported all of them from the UK and it says that all the shit you can get requires a UK or Ireland address, so they are probably useless for me. I've pretty much got all of the blu-rays from the classics & Pixar movies except a select few (Sleeping Beauty, Cars, The Incredibles and a sequel like Bambi 2).
i need 100 more points for a BluRay if someone would be so kind

markatisu said:
Its usually like 125 pts for BD (or something close to that) , and 75-100 for DVD's

Pixar movies count

Movie theater tickets for any Disney or Pixar movie also count

Also sometimes they do double/triple points for events like Tron Legacy/Classic.
Awesome! I have a few Bluerays that I can redeem. Guess I'll be getting the Oswald collection. Thanks!

Risette

A Good Citizen
epmode said:
Oh man, good point. Japan is in the same blu ray region as America, right?

I'll buy.
Yes, but all Ghibli JP Blu-rays have been completely region free anyways. Very import friendly.

Pau said:
Oh Disney. Why do you not want my money? How much does it usually cost to import a Ghibli blu-ray?
The most recent Ghibli BD (Whisper of the Heart) is 5237 yen at Amazon JP, so that's $67 even without shipping factored in. Not cheap!

Duderz

Banned
Well, Princess Mononoke is likely (hopefully?) another year or two away from release in Japan if Ghibli continues to release their films in chronological order (Whisper of the Heart and My Neighbor the Yamadas notwithstanding). So maybe by then this will be settled.

Totoro should be next....

zychi

Banned
can someone link me to wherever you guys are talking about your disney points to get other disney movies? we have a shit load on dvd and most on bluray and id like to see what i can get with these "points"

vazel

Banned
zychi said:
can someone link me to wherever you guys are talking about your disney points to get other disney movies? we have a shit load on dvd and most on bluray and id like to see what i can get with these "points"
The disney points flyer included in your movies should tell you the website. But here it is: Disney Movie Rewards.

I'm so bummed all the Beauty and the Beast rewards are sold out. I wanted one of the artworks. I'm considering saving up my points for the next time B&B is rereleased which should be in about ten years haha.

Magnus

So, was this known about? From the Disney Movie Rewards Members Update e-mail:

1u1Zx.png

Nightmare Before Christmas deluxe Bluray by the looks of it, in 3D for those who care. :p

Amazon:

51p04lOLvlL.jpg

B.K.

Lots of Disney news today.

The big news is that the folks at Disney have officially announced the Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray and DVD release of Pixar's Cars 2 on 11/1. There will be a 5-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack (SRP $49.99 - includes Blu-ray 3D, 2-disc Blu-ray, DVD and Digital Copy), a 2-Disc Blu-ray Combo Pack (SRP $39.99 - includes the Blu-ray and DVD - available in both Blu-ray and DVD packaging), DVD (SRP $29.99) and an 11-Disc/3-Movie Blu-ray Collector's Set (SRP $119.99 - includes Cars, Cars 2 and Mater's Tall Tales on Blu-ray and DVD - Cars 2 is also included in Blu-ray 3D). Got that? Extras on the Cars 2 Blu-ray will include the all-new Air Mater and Hawaiian Vacation animated shorts, and an interactive World Tour map that "takes viewers through nine different locations, including those featured in the film and more. A global thrill-ride, it allows viewers to go behind-the-scenes with the Pixar artists and filmmakers as they circle the globe finding inspiration for the most international of all Pixar films to date."

Disney has also announced the 4-Disc Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack release of Toy Story, Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3 on 11/1 (SRP $49.99 each). Each Combo Pack will include Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray, DVD and Digital Copy versions of the film.

A reminder: Disney will also release the Dumbo: 70th Anniversary Edition on Blu-ray/DVD Combo and DVD on 9/20.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

isny

napkin dispenser
The Lion King 8 disc set will not be released until January. This was confirmed to me at D23. (The regular release will still be in October)

WordAssassin said:
One thing that just infuriates me about the Disney Treasures sets, is that I have the first 3 of Donald cartoons, and they made a SUPER low run of the 4th set, and EOL'd it really fast, so I'm missing the final set. My dad and I are SO pissed. Shitloads of the first 3 volumes on store shelves to this day, but Volume 4 is GONE. Rage.
This post is from a month ago, but I want to say that this pissed me off too. Fucking nearly invisible print run on Donald vol. 4, so stupid.

Sagitario

Magnus said:
Nightmare Before Christmas deluxe Bluray by the looks of it, in 3D for those who care. :p

Amazon:

51p04lOLvlL.jpg

Dammit! I just bought this the other day:
bLa6J.jpg

Any differences announced? Or is it just a bare bones 3D re-release?

isny said:
The Lion King 8 disc set will not be released until January. This was confirmed to me at D23. (The regular release will still be in October)

Hmmm... now I don't know if I should wait or just get this:
517RyYButRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Don't really care for the sequels, though. Are they good?

Sagitario said:
Hmmm... now I don't know if I should wait or just get this:
517RyYButRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Don't really care for the sequels, though. Are they good?
Just get it now. The sequels are Direct to DVD garbage. It was released when Disney felt the need to sequelize every franchise they had for a quick buck. I can't think of one DTV sequel they did that was good let alone necessary.

New NBC set worthwhile only because the Digital Copy in the original might be expired by now.

Also 3D if you're into that.

I don't have a Blu-Ray player so I just ended up buying the Deluxe DVD+Digital Copy last time it was released.

cajunator

Banned
demosthenes said:
Ugh, my copy weeps.

edit: Why would anyone buy Lion King when the 3D version will come out in a few months? Or are there so few 3D people to worry about that with? But I'd rather future proof myself >_<
Lion King BR is out. Oh shit. must get immediately.
To answer your question, because I can't fucking see 3D.

SaintZ

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
I can't think of one DTV sequel they did that was good let alone necessary.
The Aladdin sequels! I thought they were good for what they were. And I want my Aladdin Blu-ray so bad! :( I'm tired of waiting.

Anth0ny said:
Disney and Criterion are cocky as shit.

Criterion have a niche market with those movies but they still want to deliver an exceptional product ... they charge more because they won't sell as much in the first place.

SaintZ said:
The Aladdin sequels! I thought they were good for what they were. And I want my Aladdin Blu-ray so bad! :( I'm tired of waiting.

Ugh, I know. Aladdin's probably my favorite. I even enjoyed both the sequels.

steveovig

Sorry if this has been asked before but I need some help. Has anything Studio Ghibli been released or announced for BD in the US besides Ponyo and Nausicaa so far?

Binabik15

VGChampion said:
Ugh, I know. Aladdin's probably my favorite. I even enjoyed both the sequels.

Jafar´s German voice is SO BADASS!

I have zero Disney blu rays so far, they´re still hellishly expensive in Germany. I´m not sure I even want to get them. I´d like to have German+English voices for my newphew and childhood memories, but: Some of the older films were "updated" by Disney Germany with new voices singing the songs, WTF! Especially since they´re now done by some c-list celebreties that have long since faded away since Disney pulled this stunt a few years ago.

Cry-worthy stuff, really.

AirBrian

icarus-daedelus said:
The Fox & the Hound is out, right? Any impressions? Curious to know how the movie (& image quality) holds up with adult eyes.
Completely missed this release too. Any GAF impressions?

FOOTE

Magnus said:
Hang on, what? The standard BR is out now?
No, it's not. Not sure what is happening in this thread today...

I have The Fox and the Hound but I haven't gotten around to viewing it.

Famassu

Binabik15 said:
Jafar´s German voice is SO BADASS!

I have zero Disney blu rays so far, they´re still hellishly expensive in Germany. I´m not sure I even want to get them. I´d like to have German+English voices for my newphew and childhood memories, but: Some of the older films were "updated" by Disney Germany with new voices singing the songs, WTF! Especially since they´re now done by some c-list celebreties that have long since faded away since Disney pulled this stunt a few years ago.

Cry-worthy stuff, really.
Dude, just do what everyone else in continental Europe is doing and take advantage of the occasional "Buy 1 Disney Blu-ray Get 1 Free" offers from UK Online retailers like Play.com, TheHut etc. (though, you've missed a lot of Disney Blu-rays that are back in the vault already). That way you can get Disney movies for ~7-8£ (8-9€) per movie.

shwimpy

FOOTE said:
No, it's not. Not sure what is happening in this thread today...

I have The Fox and the Hound but I haven't gotten around to viewing it.
Same here... I'm a Disney whore so I so I buy all the Blu-rays day one but I just don't have the urge to watch it... even though I've never seen it.

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
Just get it now. The sequels are Direct to DVD garbage. It was released when Disney felt the need to sequelize every franchise they had for a quick buck. I can't think of one DTV sequel they did that was good let alone necessary.
return of jafar was good. plus, iago became a good guy.

FOOTE

Magnus said:
Oh, well, in the post I quoted, it was implied it was. Guess he was misinformed.
Yeah, it's October 4th in North America and November in Europe, except France for whatever reason and I wasn't aware of that so they get to have some fun :)

FOOTE

icarus-daedelus said:
The Fox & the Hound is out, right? Any impressions? Curious to know how the movie (& image quality) holds up with adult eyes.
Image quality is good. Disney takes care with their restorations and this one was certainly given the same care as the others.

Also, random comment about The Nightmare Before Christmas 3D price.. DAMN $37.49?

Top Bottom