• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

MicH

neorej said:
Wonderful. Lion King release not untill the end of the year. Why u no want my moneyz Disney?
Really? That's a shame. It released today in Denmark and I got my copy! Gonna watch this wonderful movie tonight :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
why do Disney do the 3D blurays as separate discs, with another 2D bluray in the pack? The 3D bluray will play fine in 2D. Are they just assuming consumers are idiots?

Oozer3993

mrklaw said:
why do Disney do the 3D blurays as separate discs, with another 2D bluray in the pack? The 3D bluray will play fine in 2D. Are they just assuming consumers are idiots?

My Tangled 3D disc wouldn't play when I tried it on a non 3D TV. It just put up a message about only working with 3D TVs. I'm not sure it would look the same anyway. I believe Tangled in 3D has no depth of field in either side because your mind will fill it in naturally.

P.S. Cinderella? Awesome. Now just announce Aladdin too!

FOOTE

neorej said:
Wonderful. Lion King release not untill the end of the year. Why u no want my moneyz Disney?
Has the date changed for your country? It's still the 4th of October here in North America. I don't think it changed in the UK either.

Oozer3993 said:
P.S. Cinderella? Awesome. Now just announce Aladdin too!
Cinderella hasn't been announced yet. I'm willing to bet that we'll know what the next Diamond Edition is when TLK releases in the US and Canada as a preview on the disc.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
FOOTE said:
Has the date changed for your country? It's still the 4th of October here in North America. I don't think it changed in the UK either.

December 5th in Holland. Without any good reason whatsoever.

Famassu

TheHut, Play.com and maybe others seem to have a Buy 1 Get 1 Free offer for Disney Blu-rays. The sale includes movies like Tangled, The Incredibles, Fantasia, Beauty and the Beast & Bambi.

Ordered myself Tangled & The Incredibles, the only two from this set of movies on sale I still don't have (that I want).

B.K.

That's a good price. I just placed and order for a copy. I wonder what will be wrong with it when/if I get it. There has to be a catch somewhere for it to be just $7. It must be disc only or something.

Still debating if I want to actually purchase Beauty & the Beast a second time... I already have the first diamond collection but part of me wants the 3D edition...

Lion King is a lock for Tuesday though.

Oozer3993

B.K. said:
That's a good price. I just placed and order for a copy. I wonder what will be wrong with it when/if I get it. There has to be a catch somewhere for it to be just $7. It must be disc only or something.

People on CAG who've gotten there's say the cases were a little beat up and the cover art wasn't in the greatest shape. The discs have come in great shape though, and it includes all three of them.

B.K.

Oozer3993 said:
People on CAG who've gotten there's say the cases were a little beat up and the cover art wasn't in the greatest shape. The discs have come in great shape though, and it includes all three of them.

I'll find out next week. It's scheduled to ship tomorrow and with standard shipping, it should be here next Wednesday or Thursday.

NekoFever

FOOTE said:
Does it even have a UK date? I don't see it on any of the online stores, but they all have finished cover art so it must be soon.

I'm going to break and pay extra to import if it's not announced soon. I'll have birthday money to burn next week.

B.K. said:
Were any of the Disney movies after The Lion King any good? That's the last one I ever saw.

I thought Pocahontas was meh story-wise though visually it was nice, loved Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules and Tarzan were okay, have a soft spot for Emperor's New Groove, missed both Atlantis & Treasure Planet (do want to see both still) and I love Lilo and Stitch.

B.K. said:
Were any of the Disney movies after The Lion King any good? That's the last one I ever saw.

I'd argue The Lion King was the only terrible film during the Disney Renaissance until Dinosaur came along.

Of course Lilo & Stitch was great, and Atlantis and Treasure Planet were decent.

NekoFever said:
Does it even have a UK date? I don't see it on any of the online stores, but they all have finished cover art so it must be soon.

I'm going to break and pay extra to import if it's not announced soon. I'll have birthday money to burn next week.

I haven't seen a date yet, Amazon is normally pretty good but they havn't confirmed anything.

BK - not sure if you've seen Tangled but I thought it was fantastic, also really liked Princess and the Frog

18-Volt

AaiFO.jpg

It's from Lion King Blu-ray.

So, Pocahontas is the one of DAC blu-rays of 2012. It should be, it's been OOP for a while now.

FOOTE

That's really odd about The Lion King in the UK, I thought for sure it was November of this year... Maybe it was pushed back, I really don't see why it wouldn't be released before the end of the year.

So Lady and The Tramp is the spring 2012 Diamond Edition release, cool. Pocahontas will be great too. Hopefully we finally get Finding Nemo next year too. Disney will need to release something from Pixar next year. ;)

JdFoX187

Banned
Think the only ones confirmed for 2012 are Lady and the Tramp, which I've heard is some time in February, and Cinderella. Apparently with Pocahontas inserts in Lion King, that means it'll be 2012 too. Disney released four movies on blu ray this year, so we should see at least that many next year, if not a couple more.

Accidentally forgot about Mulan - loved that movie so much.

All I want on bd is for 2012 is Aladdin and either Little Mermaid/Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
B.K. said:

I'm going to be "that guy" here--"Lilo and Stitch" was horrendous.

The other recommendations were pretty good though. I highly recommend "Atlantis"--probably the most underrated Disney movie.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
JdFoX187 said:
Think the only ones confirmed for 2012 are Lady and the Tramp, which I've heard is some time in February, and Cinderella. Apparently with Pocahontas inserts in Lion King, that means it'll be 2012 too. Disney released four movies on blu ray this year, so we should see at least that many next year, if not a couple more.

So bought.

18-Volt

JdFoX187 said:
Robin Hood and Mulan have been sent back to vault this year, so upgraded blu-rays should be expected next year. I won't say no to HD Mulan but I don't think they are the right choices. Hercules and Hunchback of the Notre Dame still have just one DVD version, both released in 2000.

As for Aladdin, nothing has been said, but UK exclusive Aladdin: Musical Masterpiece is also OoP, so it's too on the upcoming list. So 2012 schedule should be like this:

Lady and the Tramp - Spring
Pocahontas - Spring
Robin Hood - Summer
Aladdin -Fall
Cinderella -Fall (traditional October release)
Mulan - either December or early 2013 release

woxel1

Dead said:
Where the fug is Little Mermaid?
If I had to guess, maybe because Mermaid was the last Disney film which didn't exclusively use CAPS makes it more of a hassle to bring up to pristine HD quality.

deduce

Beauty and the Beast is coming to 3D Blu-ray this Tuesday? I still have the original Blu-ray still brand new in packaging that I bought from Walmart back when it released. I wonder if they'll let me swap . . .

Leeness

18-Volt said:
Lady and the Tramp - Spring
Pocahontas - Spring
Robin Hood - Summer
Aladdin -Fall
Cinderella -Fall (traditional October release)
Mulan - either December or early 2013 release

If even half of those show up next year, that's a great line up. :)

That reminds me, I still have to pick up the Fox & the Hound...

I'll probably pick up on Black Friday. Now 3D diamond edition of Beauty & the Beast... ugh, I want but I don't.

18-Volt said:
AaiFO.jpg

It's from Lion King Blu-ray.

So, Pocahontas is the one of DAC blu-rays of 2012. It should be, it's been OOP for a while now.

Lady and the Tramp...come to me!

Big ones I am still waiting for on Blu are that and Cinderella. As far as the big classics go.

omgkitty

I'd kill for a Sword in the Stone and Robin Hood right now. Those two were easily my favorites when I was younger. Absolutely love Robin Hood! Also, what about Rescue Rangers and The Great Mouse Detective...it's been a while since I have seen those on DVD.

iNvid02

just hopped on the 3d bandwagon - just movies at the moment, although i will try uncharted 3 for the first game

i chose tangled as my first 3d film and it didn't disappoint (2nd time viewing actually, originally on dvd)

i've got a few films lined up for the future which im gonna buy that i know are coming

- transformers
- thor
- pirates stranger tides
- harry potter series
- lion king
- green lantern
- kung fu panda 2
- captain america
- toy story trilogy
- inception

is there anything else i missed that came out a while ago that i should definitely watch in 3d?
chances are i've already seen it but i wouldn't mind re watching if the 3d is worth it

Top Bottom