• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

wow so I just received my email for my Lion king BD pick up and the steel case has been removed because I didn't pick it up within 8 days of ordering it??

the original order said both would be picked up on 10/4

what a shit load of fuck.

edit: does anyone know if Best Buy still has the steel books in the store? or how can I get one.

this is so stupid.

JdFoX187

Banned
JetBlackPanda said:
wow so I just received my email for my Lion king BD pick up and the steel case has been removed because I didn't pick it up within 8 days of ordering it??

the original order said both would be picked up on 10/4

what a shit load of fuck.

edit: does anyone know if Best Buy still has the steel books in the store? or how can I get one.

this is so stupid.
I would call the store and ask. Today is the street date for The Lion King. You couldn't pick it up earlier. But they should have your steel book since it's a pre-order.

Magnus

Is that nonsense of having to print the coupons directly from your PC still in effect? I'm entitled to the damned coupon and have no way to get it! Haha. Seriously, no one I know actually has a printer or access to a work PC that they can install third-party software to.

I still want to see Robin Hood! Watched that so many times as a kid. I'm afraid it's going to be a ridiculously long time before that's announced. Or shows up in HD on TV.

Magnus said:
Is that nonsense of having to print the coupons directly from your PC still in effect? I'm entitled to the damned coupon and have no way to get it! Haha. Seriously, no one I know actually has a printer or access to a work PC that they can install third-party software to.

Work? School?

JdFoX187 said:
I would call the store and ask. Today is the street date for The Lion King. You couldn't pick it up earlier. But they should have your steel book since it's a pre-order.

apparently because the steel books were in the store the date was changed and they altered my order (original email said pick up both on 10/4 ) the new date for pickup of the steel case only was 9/6 but since I didn't they removed the steel case???

WOW

Magnus

VGChampion said:
Work? School?

None allow installation of new software. I've tried. :( FedEx/Kinko's comps are similarly locked, and no place seems to allow me to connect to their network via my own laptop and print from there.

I don't suppose I could arrange things with one of you who has a scanner to send me the coupon by PM or e-mail? I'd give you my DMR log-in and everything so you can see that I'm eligible for it.

:(

MrMan2k3

So I pre-ordered the 8-disc set for The Lion King a few months ago when I was able to get it shipped for $53.11.

Apparently the box this comes in is about the width of 10 other DVD/Blu-ray cases, so I think I'd like to pick up some Blu-ray cases to move these movies over to. Any suggestions of where to pick up cases that match the other Disney cases for a decent price?

I'd need one four-disc case and two two-disc cases. (Or maybe I could put the whole trilogy in an eight-disc case if such a thing exists.)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
VGChampion said:
I still want to see Robin Hood! Watched that so many times as a kid. I'm afraid it's going to be a ridiculously long time before that's announced. Or shows up in HD on TV.

Hasn't that already been confirmed for next summer?

isny

napkin dispenser
"On the heels of the phenomenal success of The Lion King 3D – which will cross the $80 million mark at the domestic box office today – The Walt Disney Studios has announced limited theatrical engagements for four of its classic films for the first time in 3D. The following titles from Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios will be released in 2012 and 2013:

* Beauty and the Beast – January 13, 2012
* Disney/Pixar’s Finding Nemo – September 14, 2012
* Disney/Pixar’s Monsters, Inc. – January 18, 2013 (Monsters University, a prequel to the original film, arrives in theaters in Disney Digital 3D on June 21, 2013)"

Guessing that confirms Nemo for next year.

Source.

MrMan2k3

isny said:
"On the heels of the phenomenal success of The Lion King 3D – which will cross the $80 million mark at the domestic box office today – The Walt Disney Studios has announced limited theatrical engagements for four of its classic films for the first time in 3D. The following titles from Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios will be released in 2012 and 2013:

* Beauty and the Beast – January 13, 2012
* Disney/Pixar’s Finding Nemo – September 14, 2012
* Disney/Pixar’s Monsters, Inc. – January 18, 2013 (Monsters University, a prequel to the original film, arrives in theaters in Disney Digital 3D on June 21, 2013)"

Guessing that confirms Nemo for next year.

Source.
Not sure if it was added after you posted, but it also says:
The Little Mermaid – September 13, 2013

isny

napkin dispenser
MrMan2k3 said:
Not sure if it was added after you posted, but it also says:
The Little Mermaid – September 13, 2013

Must have been. Wonder if Aladdin will happen? Guess not until at least 2014 at this rate =(

Magnus

I'm hoping these 3D/HD theatrical re-releases mean those films will receive BD home releases soon too.

Just watched the Lion King BD at home. Was magical. Saw so much I didn't see as a kid. Was kind of short, haha.

The added song first included in the DVD release (from the stage production), "The Morning Report", is truly fucking terrible. I'm glad it wasn't integrated into the main feature.

Magnus

This morning, bestbuy.ca mis-priced both Bluray editions of the film (3D and normal combo pack) at $24.99 (should have been $34.99 and $29.99 respectively). I was essscited at first, but then reloaded the site later on my phone and saw they'd fixed it.

I walked up to the counter and asked about the coupon to drop the $35 to $28 at least, and he interrupts me and goes, "naw, don't worry about it", and then gives me an $18 discount on the whole thing. I'm like, why? He says they're aware of the mis-priced item online, so he gave me $10 off to drop it to $25, and then gave me the $8 coupon value on top of it.

Guess they weren't aware the pricing was fixed online, lol.

Lion King 3D BR edition for $19 after tax? Shwiggitty-Shweet!

Question:

Is there any way to register older Disney DVDs with Disney Movie Rewards? There be no magic codes in any of these!

2nd Question:

What's actually worth getting with these points? I'm scanning the possible rewards, and all I see is shit, aside from a couple of nice collectible things like lithos that I don't care about at all. :(

Borman

Video quality was great on the Lion King. Will be a bit before I can watch the 3d version though, but still was amazing. Well worth the 23$ or so.

MrMan2k3 said:
So I pre-ordered the 8-disc set for The Lion King a few months ago when I was able to get it shipped for $53.11.

Apparently the box this comes in is about the width of 10 other DVD/Blu-ray cases, so I think I'd like to pick up some Blu-ray cases to move these movies over to. Any suggestions of where to pick up cases that match the other Disney cases for a decent price?

I'd need one four-disc case and two two-disc cases. (Or maybe I could put the whole trilogy in an eight-disc case if such a thing exists.)
Jesus CHRIST are you serious!?!

I think I'm gonna buy that set, I have $20 in coupons so I'd be getting it for $55, (which would, to justify it to myself, be about $25 for the 4-Disc Lion King set, then $15 each for the two 2-Disc sequels, which seems like ok prices for me) but I am absolutely gonna have to go that route and get individual BRD cases for them. Shiiiiittttt.

johnsmith

remember me
The sequels are going to be getting individual releases next year. You will definitely be able to get the whole trilogy for a lot cheaper than $75. If you buy it now you are just paying extra for a box and early access to crappy movies.

Borman

Yeah, I passed on the set for that reason. Already have Toy Story and Pirates box sets, and wish they were in normal cases.

DJ_Lae

Picked up the Lion King steelbook today - I really like the look of the case, it's nice and reserved.

Was tempted by the full set, but not only is it a lot more expensive, it's goddamn huge (and I can't say I really care for the sequels, so I'd just be buying it to be a completionist).

Figured out the issue with the steel case and got it with the BD today! Picture quality is amazing love it.

Now I just need Aladdin and Little Mermaid

johnsmith said:
The sequels are going to be getting individual releases next year. You will definitely be able to get the whole trilogy for a lot cheaper than $75. If you buy it now you are just paying extra for a box and early access to crappy movies.
Thank God. I don't really want Lion King 2 but I do want 1 1/2.

Passed on the Mega Set, wound up getting Lion King 4-Disc set, Bridesmaids 3-Disc set, and the first two seasons of Children's Hospital for $55 thanks to my coupons. I'd say that's a much better haul than just the Lion King Mega Set for the same price.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Just watched Lion King for the first time in about 10 years...

MY GOD why doesn't Disney make films like this anymore.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
FOOTE said:
Disney did an excellent job on the picture and audio quality.

They continue to do so for their archive releases... don't fire whoever you have in charge of that division Disney!

Kagari said:

If Tangled is any indication, they're back on the right track.

I think Tangled is WDAS' best film since The Lion King.

Kagari said:

'Princess and the Frog' and 'Tangled' were both really good.

BertramCooper said:

I agreed with that until I remembered 'Mulan'. It's the best since 'Mulan'.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
BertramCooper said:
If Tangled is any indication, they're back on the right track.

My only problem with Tangled... was that it was CG animation.

JaseMath

I was watching Lion King last week on DVD to see if the old transfer warranted a purchase, and it still looks pretty damn good. I'll probably pass on the blu-ray, but I'm glad the interest in 2D animation is high...and hopefully apparent to Disney. :)

JdFoX187

Banned
Kagari said:
My only problem with Tangled... was that it was CG animation.
And here I thought I was the only one with this mentality. As much as I enjoyed Tangled, I still think I would have enjoyed it more if it was a 2D animated feature. Just a weird tick I have.

icarus-daedelus said:
So Winnie the Pooh (2011) is coming out in a few weeks, and for whatever reason I assumed they'd sell The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh as a pack-in or something ala Tron/Tron Legacy.

What the hell, Disney? Why are they not doing this? Does it make too much sense? I loved new Pooh so I'll be picking it up regardless, but still.
How was Winnie the Pooh? I missed it's short theatrical run.

JdFoX187 said:
And here I thought I was the only one with this mentality. As much as I enjoyed Tangled, I still think I would have enjoyed it more if it was a 2D animated feature. Just a weird tick I have.

It was short, only about an hour. I was beautifully animated, but obviously felt very skewed towards kids. One of the few animated films I've ever felt out of place sitting in, and I saw The Powerpuff Girls and all the Pokemon animated films in theaters.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
JdFoX187 said:

I thought it was fantastic. It was a bit short, though.

Don't remember the last time I saw the Lion King but it's still SO GOOD. Still one of my favorite Disney movies of all time. Tied with Aladdin.

Put me down for another Tangled was great but Tangled + 2D would be oh so great.

Magnus

I've owned Tangled for a few months now and still haven't gotten around to watching it. I better get on that!

Always makes me sad to see no profuse love for Pocahontas. I think...it might actually be my #2 after Aladdin.

WillyFive

I want The Lion King, but I already have it on DVD.

AbsoluteZero said:
One of the few animated films I've ever felt out of place sitting in, and I saw The Powerpuff Girls

That's because it was one of the most violent movies of that year.

Willy105 said:
I want The Lion King, but I already have it on DVD.

That's because it was one of the most violent movies of that year.

Definitely one of the most kick-ass.

I'm still bummed there's no letterbox DVD available.

I just want to chime in with Winnie the Pooh adoration. I thought it was wonderful, even of it was short. The stories were excellent and tied together well, they got all the characters personalities right, the animation was incredible and some of the things they did with the "we're in a book" concept were really really creative. I can't wait to buy it so I can watch it with my mom, since she missed its theatrical run. It was very sweet and heartfelt; I've talked to quite a few people that worked on it who were genuinely surprised that I (or anyone) went to see it, which is a painful reaction to hear from a Disney animator - "Oh, wow, someone actually went to see that? I worked on it." Gutwrenching :( Talking to them it was evident that a lot of love went into making it.

Tangled praise... gross.

Disappointed Aladdin isn't next. It's completely ready.
Padding releases and such but disappointing nonetheless...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Magnus said:
I've owned Tangled for a few months now and still haven't gotten around to watching it. I better get on that!

Always makes me sad to see no profuse love for Pocahontas. I think...it might actually be my #2 after Aladdin.

One of my favorites growing up, between that, Mulan and others... the 90s were great.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Buckethead said:
Tangled praise... gross.

Disappointed Aladdin isn't next. It's completely ready.
Padding releases and such but disappointing nonetheless...

What did you see wrong with it?

Suikoguy said:
What did you see wrong with it?
It's all style and no substance.
It may look pretty and have some charming sidekicks but that's about it.

Neither the story or the songs are good.

That and anytime anything related to animation comes up it's Tangled this, Tangled that.
It just gets very grating.

Go watch Triplets of Belleville or Illusionist or something not-Disney ffs.
I'll never get the love for Tangled and hate for Princess and the Frog.

Buckethead said:
It's all style and no substance.
It may look pretty and have some charming sidekicks but that's about it.

Neither the story or the songs are good.

That and anytime anything related to animation comes up it's Tangled this, Tangled that.
It just gets very grating.

Go watch Triplets of Belleville or Illusionist or something not-Disney ffs.
I'll never get the love for Tangled and hate for Princess and the Frog.

Disney fans praising a Disney movie in a Disney thread. For shame!

MrMan2k3

WordAssassin said:
Jesus CHRIST are you serious!?!

I think I'm gonna buy that set, I have $20 in coupons so I'd be getting it for $55, (which would, to justify it to myself, be about $25 for the 4-Disc Lion King set, then $15 each for the two 2-Disc sequels, which seems like ok prices for me) but I am absolutely gonna have to go that route and get individual BRD cases for them. Shiiiiittttt.
Yeah, here's the video where I got the dimensions from. I put a ruler against my set of other Disney Blu-ray's and the width mentioned in that video covered about 10 movies of varying thicknesses.

As far as the cases go, I seem to have found some that match the Disney cases at SleeveTown. Unfortunately, they don't seem to carry 4-disc Blu-ray cases, so I may need to get a 3-disc case and just set aside the digital copy. I also need a few single-disc cases for some movies I picked up at Blockbuster (sold in DVD cases), plus I might condense some TV seasons into thinner cases, so I might be putting in a sizable order soon.

Top Bottom