• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Az987

all good things
Shit, I still need to get Fantasia. I don't really want it without a slip so I guess I'll go to best buy tomorrow.

Stupid Disney and their stupid vault bullshit

cory.

Banned
The documentaries on the TLK disc were really well made, though the main one was not as extensive as past Diamond treatments have been.
Is the style of the left half of the disc new for The Lion King?
Now I'm only missing Dumbo, The Fox and the Hound, and the pre-Tangled CG ones.

cory. said:
The documentaries on the TLK disc were really well made, though the main one was not as extensive as past Diamond treatments have been.
Is the style of the left half of the disc new for The Lion King?
Now I'm only missing Dumbo, The Fox and the Hound, and the pre-Tangled CG ones.
They are very good on the Lion King, but there isn't nearly as much content as other ones. My guess is because the original DVD release maybe didn't have a lot of special features, which could have been included in the Blu-ray version, as with other Disney Blu-ray releases.

Bii

B.K. said:
I got my cheap copy of Sleeping Beauty from Amazon today. Overall, it's in pretty good shape. The cover art has been pulled up a bit and it's folded and bent a bit. The worst thing about it is that it doesn't have the slip cover.

I have two Disney Blu-Rays that I didn't get a slip cover for and it's really hurting the look of my collection (Disneynature's Crimson Wing and Ponyo). I bought those ones on the cheap from third-party sellers on Amazon...now I just have to hunt down those slip covers. Speaking of which, is there a site somewhere (besides trying to see if it's on eBay) to buy slip covers?

Az987 said:
Shit, I still need to get Fantasia. I don't really want it without a slip so I guess I'll go to best buy tomorrow.

Stupid Disney and their stupid vault bullshit

buy it, they are great on blu

LeonSKennedy90 said:
I just gotta say, TLK Blu-Ray looks INCREDIBLE. I wanna watch all these Disney films on Blu-Ray now

get Bambi and dumbo NOW...if u can afford them.

cory.

Banned
I got a little carried away, but here's the state of the animated canon on Blu-ray.

Overdue movies, by time since last release
Make Mine Music, Melody Time, Fun and Fancy Free: 11 years 9 months*
Hercules: 11 years 7 months
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr Toad: 11 years 5 months*
Atlantis: The Lost Empire: 10 years 1 month
The Hunchback of Notre Dame: 10 years
Treasure Planet: 8 years 10 months
Brother Bear: 7 years 11 months
Home on the Range: 7 years 6 months
Mulan: 7 years 5 months
The Emperor's New Groove: 6 years 5 months
Robin Hood - 5 years 4 month

*have appeared partially in shorts collections more recently.

Not as neglected but not yet on Blu-ray, by time since last release
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh - 4 years 9 months
Saludos Amigos/Three Caballeros - 3 years 10 months
The Sword in the Stone - 3 years 9 months
Oliver & Company - 3 years 1 month
Lilo & Stitch - 2 years 11 months
The Great Mouse Detective - 1 year 11 months
The Black Cauldron - 1 year 6 months

Future Diamond Editions
Lady and the Tramp -February 7th 2012 (confirmed)
Cinderella - Fall 12 (confirmed)
101 Dalmatians - Spring 13 (speculation)
The Little Mermaid/3D - Fall 13 (confirmed for theaters)
Peter Pan - Spring 14 (speculation)
The Jungle Book - Fall 14 (speculation)
Pinocchio - Spring 15 (speculation)
Sleeping Beauty - Fall 15 (speculation)

Future Blu-ray
Pocahontas - Summer 2012
The Aristocats - August 7th, 2012
The Rescuers/The Rescuers Down Under - Summer 2012
Tarzan - TBA 2012
101 Dalmatians - TBA
Aladdin - Spring 2013
Wreck-It Ralph/3D - Spring 2013 (anticipated)
King of the Elves/3D - Spring 2014 (anticipated)

Already released
Dinosaur, Chicken Little (Sep 06)
Meet the Robinsons (Oct 07)
Sleeping Beauty (Oct 08)
Pinocchio (Mar 09)
Bolt (Mar 09)
Snow White (Oct 09)
The Princess and the Frog (Mar 10)

Beauty and the Beast (Oct 10)
Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 (Nov 10)
Alice in Wonderland (Feb 11)
Dinosaur, Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons, Bolt, The Princess and the Frog repackaged (Feb 11)
Bambi (Mar 11)
Tangled/3D (Mar 11)
The Fox and the Hound (Aug 11)
Dumbo (Sep 11)
The Lion King/3D (Oct 11)
Beauty and the Beast 3D (Oct 11)
Winnie the Pooh (Oct 11)
Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons, Bolt on Blu-ray 3D
Lady and the Tramp (Feb 12)

Diamond
Vaulted or replaced

Pixar
Ratatouille - 1-Disc (Nov 07), 2-Disc Repackage (Jul 11)
Cars - 1-Disc (Nov 07), 2-Disc Repackage (Apr 11)
Wall-E - 2-Disc (Nov 08), 3-Disc (Nov 08), 3-Disc Repackage (Jul 11)
A Bug's Life - 2-disc (May 09), 2-Disc Repackage (Sep 10)
Up - 3-Disc (Nov 09), 4-Disc (Nov 09), 3-Disc (Jul 11)
Monsters, Inc. - 4-disc (Nov 09), 2-Disc Repackage (Sep 10)
Toy Story - 2-Disc (Mar 10), 4-Disc 3D (Nov 11)
Toy Story 2 - 2-Disc (Mar 10), 4-Disc 3D (Nov 11)
Toy Story 3 - 2-Disc (Nov 10), 4-Disc (Nov 10), 3-Disc Repackage (May 11), 5-Disc 3D (Nov 11)
The Incredibles - 4-Disc (Apr 11)
Cars 2 - 2-Disc (Nov 11), 5-Disc 3D (Nov 11)

Future:
Brave - Fall 12
Finding Nemo 3D - Fall 12

cajunator

Banned
well, I got TLK on Bluray. So hyped to rewatch it.
But first a dash off to Rouses to get something to eat fitting while watching this masterpiece.

Risette

A Good Citizen
vazel said:
Fox and the Hound didn't get as good a restoration job as their other releases. The image is grainy; it could've used some fine tuned DNR like their other releases got. And there are some odd visual issues with how foreground and background elements were composited which Disney did not fix. On the upside Fox and the Hound got a really high video bitrate to accommodate the grainy image so there's no macroblocking whatsoever.
Fox and the Hound is lucky it isn't popular, then. Disney's DNR is probably the "best", but it still causes fugly smeared/smudgy lines.

Seanbob11

Jeff Albertson said:
Any UK folk in here?

I don't know what Lion King to get, I have ordered the Limited edition boxset from HMV for £65 but not sure now:

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?sku=390916

I know it means paying over the odds but I like the look of that box

I was also thinking about getting this version! It is really expensive but I too like the look of the box. It's just too good to have a standard BR case for :( If only we were able to get the cool metal box for pre-ordering as out American friends do. Even the metal box on it's own is more expensive than the film if we buy it from Ebay :(

Fusebox

Banned
So far I've got:

Snow White Diamond Blu Ray
Bambi Diamond Blu Ray
Beauty and the Beast Diamond Blu Ray
The Princess and the Frog Blu Ray (non-Diamond, is there a Diamond version of this?)

and getting Lion King Diamond Blu Ray later today.

Fusebox

Banned
Thanks cory.

Next big question, Lion King 1 Diamon Edition, or Lion King boxset? I've not seen Lion King 2 or 3 but 2 gets surprisingly decent reviews on IMDB.

FOOTE

Fusebox said:
Thanks cory.

Next big question, Lion King 1 Diamon Edition, or Lion King boxset? I've not seen Lion King 2 or 3 but 2 gets surprisingly decent reviews on IMDB.
The sequels are getting individual releases next year if you want to hold off on them for now.

FOOTE

Fusebox said:
Are they any good though? If they're good I'll just get the boxset now, but if they suck I'll probably never get them.
It's been a long time since I saw them. I don't remember thinking 2 was bad(but I was a kid when it came out), and I think I watched 1/2 only once.

cajunator

Banned
Two was decent actually, but I havent seen 1 1/2.
Definitely gonna get the second one, but I decided I dont like the other movies enough for that expensive boxset.

The boxset is worth it for me but just not sure whether to get the collectors edition or not.

I have a nearly 5 month old son so soon he will be on Disney films, even if I don't like the sequels he may

I have:
Snow White
Pinocchio
Fantasia combo
Dumbo
Bambi
Beauty/Beast
and Lion King

I know I've seen Alice in Wonderland and Princess and the frog at stores as well as Bambi 2... anything else that I'm missing? Did I miss anything that's now back in the vault?

cory.

Banned
MoonsaultSlayer said:
I have:
Snow White
Pinocchio
Fantasia combo
Dumbo
Bambi
Beauty/Beast
and Lion King

I know I've seen Alice in Wonderland and Princess and the frog at stores as well as Bambi 2... anything else that I'm missing? Did I miss anything that's now back in the vault?
Just Sleeping Beauty.

Cancelled my order for the collectors edition and gone for the bluray trilogy now. My only worry is now the collectors will be worth a lot in the future now

isny

napkin dispenser
You can finally redeem for Disney GC's through DMR =D

750 points nets you a $20 GC. Limit one redemption per member though =(

Still, an extra $20 for me to spend at a Disney Park, Restaurant, or the Disney Store!

I have like a billion DMR points but there's nothing that is good.

I want some posters but of course they don't have any of the good ones. Boo zebras.

neonglow

isny said:
You can finally redeem for Disney GC's through DMR =D

750 points nets you a $20 GC. Limit one redemption per member though =(

Still, an extra $20 for me to spend at a Disney Park, Restaurant, or the Disney Store!

Thanks! I actually had enough points to redeem this. Much better than saving up points for the lackluster Blu Ray selection.

isny

napkin dispenser
Those Gift Cards were sure gone quick. They had a message up on FB a few hours after the redemption opened and ran out of stock.

Just got an email for 10% off one time use at disneystore.com valid until October 31st.

J0311051T8BD31J

Here are the terms:

Offer is valid 10/17/2011 to 10/31/2011 on any single purchase at DisneyStore.com. Cannot be combined with other offers. Offer excludes Shipping & Handling charges, Gift Cards, CDs, Books, DVD's, Blu-Ray Discs, Video Games, Electronics, Club Penguin, D23 Memberships, Exclusive Limited-Edition Dolls, Duffy – The Disney Bear Collection, Personalization, Gift Wrap and Gift Boxes and items not in stock.No adjustments to prior purchases. Merchandise must be exchanged for identical item or returned at discounted price with valid packing slip. Offer valid on phone orders and orders placed online at DisneyStore.com. Not valid on purchases from Disney Store retail or outlet locations. Promotion Code may not be redeemed for cash. Limit one Promotional Offer per Household. Promotion Code may not be sold, altered, duplicated or copied and will not be replaced if lost, stolen or corrupted. Use of Promotion Code is acceptance of its terms. Disney E-Commerce reserves the right to cancel or modify this offer at any time. Void where prohibited.

Gvaz

Banned
Aladdin in 720p is pretty hot
adfm54j.png

isny said:
Those Gift Cards were sure gone quick. They had a message up on FB a few hours after the redemption opened and ran out of stock..
What the fuck?

I've been pissed at that program . . . I saved up a pile of points and just before I redeemed, they stopped offering the item I wanted (tickets to various traveling Disney shows). And most of the stuff they have now is all crap. I don't want DVDs, the few Blu-Rays they offer are weak, most of the stuff is junk. :-(

Now they offer something good and it disappears instantly? :-(

Calcaneus

I've recently got the urge to get a few of these, just the Toy Story movies and The Lion King for now. I would get more classics, but I've seen Snow White and Bambi so many times that I'm good.

So they still haven't announced Alladin? That's one i really want too.

cory.

Banned
Oh, just realized for some stupid kid-friendly marketing reason Dumbo just has "Disney" before its title on the cover, it should be "Walt Disney" since it was produced during his era. Best example of this pattern is the Fantasia set where Fantasia has "Walt Disney" and Fantasia 2000 just has "Disney."

johnsmith

remember me
speculawyer said:
What the fuck?

I've been pissed at that program . . . I saved up a pile of points and just before I redeemed, they stopped offering the item I wanted (tickets to various traveling Disney shows). And most of the stuff they have now is all crap. I don't want DVDs, the few Blu-Rays they offer are weak, most of the stuff is junk. :-(

Now they offer something good and it disappears instantly? :-(

If you really want to get angry you should check out the selection at the UK site. Not only can they get just about any blu-ray, including newer releases, but the point prices are lower. It's ridiculous how terrible the US program is.

cory.

Banned
I really hope this doesn't become standard policy in this thread's scope of movies (and it's not likely given the emphasis on bonus features in Vault releases), but Cars 2 and Pirates 4 only include an extras disc if you buy the 5-disc 3D combo pack, standard Blu-ray set is barebones.

linkboy

FloppyDelux said:
So who else plans on getting winnie the pooh next week?

Winnie the Pooh is coming out next week, sweet (had no idea), need to find a way to pick it up.

I've got the following movies

Classic

Alice in Wonderland
Bambi
Beauty and the Beast
Dumbo (R1 Mexican version)
Lion King
Pinocchio
Sleeping Beauty
Snow White

Still need to get Fox and the Hound (really wish I could find a copy without the crappy sequel).

Top Bottom