• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

The reason Tangled gets brought up any time there's talk of animation is because it has the most advanced, sophisticated, fluid 3D animation to date. If you don't understand that then I don't know what to tell you. (Story, though, that's anyone's call. I liked it but that doesn't mean everyone has to)

In regards to the Lion King Mega Set - I was holding it in Best Buy last night and it is huge but it didn't feel like it was 10 BRD cases wide at all. If i were to put it on my shelf I'd have to take out maybe 5 or 6 movies to fit it I think. (And I'm talking about 5 or 6 Disney BRDs, not flimsy little single-disc BRDs like Cloverfield, so it's possible that it could be 10 of those I guess?)

Quick

Banned
Willy105 said:
I want The Lion King, but I already have it on DVD.

My DVD copy has unfortunately been damaged, so I'll be picking up the blu-ray sometime soon.

I might actually go for the steelbook edition at Future Shop.

M2191746.jpg

m2191746_1.jpg

Mistle

Quick said:
My DVD copy has unfortunately been damaged, so I'll be picking up the blu-ray sometime soon.

I might actually go for the steelbook edition at Future Shop.

[IMG.]http://www.futureshop.ca/multimedia/Products/500x500/M21/M2191/M2191746.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG.]http://www.futureshop.ca/multimedia/Products/500x500/m21/m2191/m2191746_1.jpg[/IMG]
My god that is beautiful. Can I get this in Australia?!

Synless

I went to go pick up my preorder for lion king at best buy and they didn't have my steelbook case. I'm pretty pissed right now.

Synless said:
I went to go pick up my preorder for lion king at best buy and they didn't have my steelbook case. I'm pretty pissed right now.

The same thing happened to me.. I pre-ordered with them and my original order email said to pick them both up on 10/4 well on 10/4 I went to print my email and noticed the Steel Case was removed. I looked back into my email and noticed two days after my order they sent me another email to pick up the steel case that day, since I missed the email I did not pick it up and they removed the steel case from my order.

I raised all kinds of hell to the girl and she searched the store for one and gave it to me.

it was a fucking joke.

Anth0ny

Fuck I want that steelbook so badly, but I already have the regular blu ray.

I wish I could just get the case for, like, $10 >_>

Mistle

Anth0ny said:

It's about $20 on ebay if you're serious enough.

I really really hope Australia gets a similar bonus when released down here. It only just had it's cinema run so it's probably a few months off still. What are the special features like? Any indepth behind the scenes stuff? That'd be brilliant, as I've never seen behind the scenes Lion King content. I know it's pretty unlikely though, as the film was made before that sort of stuff was a concern....

Though to be honest, I feel DVD/Bluray special features have peaked already and are on a decline. The Tangled special features were a huge disappointment :/ Whereas, Pixar still pack in quite a lot.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Anth0ny said:

Glad I was able to get one from Best Buy at the last minute...

Synless

JetBlackPanda said:
The same thing happened to me.. I pre-ordered with them and my original order email said to pick them both up on 10/4 well on 10/4 I went to print my email and noticed the Steel Case was removed. I looked back into my email and noticed two days after my order they sent me another email to pick up the steel case that day, since I missed the email I did not pick it up and they removed the steel case from my order.

I raised all kinds of hell to the girl and she searched the store for one and gave it to me.

it was a fucking joke.
I had to drive 30 minutes to the next Best Buy to get one because they wouldn't ship one to mine...even though they fucked up my order.

So do the Best Buys just have the steel books sitting on shelves or something? The website says my local store has them in stock.

I didn't even think to look for one.

Anth0ny

Yesterday Walt Disney Pictures announced the planned theatrical 3D release of a slew of their staples, including "Beauty and the Beast," "The Little Mermaid" and Pixar's "Finding Nemo" and "Monsters, Inc." The knee-jerk from most was the cynical notion that the success of "The Lion King 3D" caused this craven cash grab, but the truth is, it was a cash grab long before people began lining up to relive the Elton John magic. These conversions were ordered and in the pipeline already.

I swear to god if they don't bring Aladdin back to theatres...

Mistle

Anth0ny said:
Aladdin. Oh man, what a fantastic film.

Though I remember reading the last limited run they did of Aladdin (can't remember which format...), they said it didn't do as well as they expected. Maybe that has something to do with them not including it in the cinema re-leases.

Magnus

Anth0ny said:

I think I have to see Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid in theatres, having never had the chance as a kid. And shit, the chance to see Aladdin in theatres would be sweet if Disney chose to honor that film as they should.

I'm hoping Aladdin is their tentpole release of 2012 or 2013 between theatres/Blu-ray; it really belongs up there with The Lion King in terms of recognition, as far as I'm concerned. And that's a trilogy I will buy if they bring Return of Jafar and King of Thieves to the set as well.

JdFoX187

Banned
Everything that I've read says that Aladdin wasn't as popular on its DVD release. It's apparently been demoted from the Platinum/Diamond selection. Doubt it'll get a release in theaters.

And all of this talk about great Disney movies, and I'm the only one bringing up The Jungle Book has me depressed.

cory.

Banned
Doesn't look like Aladdin will get theatrical, rereleases have been scheduled through The Little Mermaid in September 2013 and I don't see them holding a fairly popular but not-quite-Diamond-popular CAPS film from Blu-ray until 2014.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
JdFoX187 said:
Everything that I've read says that Aladdin wasn't as popular on its DVD release. It's apparently been demoted from the Platinum/Diamond selection. Doubt it'll get a release in theaters.

And all of this talk about great Disney movies, and I'm the only one bringing up The Jungle Book has me depressed.

That's a shame.

Synless

BertramCooper said:
Nope.

Get ready to wait, because it's going to be very low on Disney's priority list.

And when it does come out, don't expect much.
I'm not expecting much, but it's one of the only movies I'm waiting on from Disney.

johnsmith

remember me
I'd be more interested in these theater rereleases if they were in 2D. 3D ruins the main draw of seeing these movies in theaters, the magnificent visuals.

BertramCooper said:
Nope.

Get ready to wait, because it's going to be very low on Disney's priority list.

And when it does come out, don't expect much.

Sadly, this. Only their biggest and most revered movies will get the amazing treatment things like Snow White and Lion King got.

johnsmith said:
I'd be more interested in these theater rereleases if they were in 2D. 3D ruins the main draw of seeing these movies in theaters, the magnificent visuals.

They released Lion King in 2D during the rerelease too so they may do the same with the others.

The older computer animated movies are being serious cash cows.
Theatrical release.
DVD release
Blu-Ray release
<re-render in 3D>
3D Theatrical release.
3D Blu-Ray release.

That Nemo better be in 3D.

eastmen

Banned
speculawyer said:
The older computer animated movies are being serious cash cows.
Theatrical release.
DVD release
Blu-Ray release
<re-render in 3D>
3D Theatrical release.
3D Blu-Ray release.

That Nemo better be in 3D.

its the same with the older movies , except things like snow white played in thearters for decades after their original release , then got a a vhs , dvd and now bluray release and many are getting released in the thearter also

eastmen said:
its the same with the older movies , except things like snow white played in thearters for decades after their original release , then got a a vhs , dvd and now bluray release and many are getting released in the thearter also
Yep. But they actually have to put some work into making those older movies 3D. The computer animated ones are just trivial changes.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
JdFoX187 said:

I went to Walt Disney World last week and Aladdin didn't really get much love there either. Makes me sad.

eastmen

Banned
speculawyer said:
Yep. But they actually have to put some work into making those older movies 3D. The computer animated ones are just trivial changes.

I doubt that , toy story 1 + 2 recieved a texture upgrade and was re rendered in a much higher resolution + 3d . I'm sure it still cost money.

Mabye its less than the 2D but i'm sure the 2D movies have made many times their cost back over the past decades.

Just look at the lion king it made 71.9m with its 3d re release . Toy story 1+2 double feature 3d release only earned 30m .

Thats 2 movies that required re-rendering and art changes vs 1 movie that required restoration and 3d effects.

I'm sure there is alot of money to be made on the old releases .

The other question is how the 3d movies will age. Toy story looks horrible without the higher res artwork and re render. How will even the re-render hold up in another 10 or 20 years.

Snow white and the other animated disney moves still look great 70 years later.

eastmen

Banned
smokeymicpot said:
I went to Walt Disney World last week and Aladdin didn't really get much love there either. Makes me sad.

nothing from the 90s gets alot of love. Remember MGM studios / hollywood studios only opened in 1994. Aladdin / lion king were 92/94 and i'm sure that both were to late for the developmenet of that park.

Both would have fit better in magic kingdom at that point , however that park didn't see much changes in the 90s.

I notice Lion King comes with a digital copy. Is this a first for traditional Disney animation? I know it's common with Pixar movies but I ca't think of if any of the other Disney films come with it. If so, I wonder how they decide which ones get digital copies and which ones don't. Dumbo and Fox and the Hound definitely didn't.

eastmen

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
I notice Lion King comes with a digital copy. Is this a first for traditional Disney animation? I know it's common with Pixar movies but I ca't think of if any of the other Disney films come with it. If so, I wonder how they decide which ones get digital copies and which ones don't. Dumbo and Fox and the Hound definitely didn't.

you can buy them both for $5 if your part of the movie club

icarus-daedelus said:
August man! You're falling behind!

It even comes with...get this...The Fox and the Hound 2. Yes, they really made the sequel to The Fox and the Hound that we were all clamoring for.
waaat

was the sequel any good?

meh, not my concern right now actually. I just bought it's bluray for a cool price, cant wait to watch it in it's HD glory when it arrives.

Holyshit there's more! i love this thread, subscribed.

JdFoX187

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
Sadly, this. Only their biggest and most revered movies will get the amazing treatment things like Snow White and Lion King got.
The only blu ray I haven't watched yet is either of the Fox and the Hound movies, but all of them have had pristine transfers, even their non-diamond releases such as Dumbo and Alice in Wonderland. Disney takes them all extremely seriously.

vazel

Banned
JdFoX187 said:
The only blu ray I haven't watched yet is either of the Fox and the Hound movies, but all of them have had pristine transfers, even their non-diamond releases such as Dumbo and Alice in Wonderland. Disney takes them all extremely seriously.
Fox and the Hound didn't get as good a restoration job as their other releases. The image is grainy; it could've used some fine tuned DNR like their other releases got. And there are some odd visual issues with how foreground and background elements were composited which Disney did not fix. On the upside Fox and the Hound got a really high video bitrate to accommodate the grainy image so there's no macroblocking whatsoever.

JdFoX187 said:

They all look fantastic, yes. But the Diamond/Platinum stuff does get more TLC in the special features department. And judging by how they treated Sword in the Stone on DVD, anything is an improvement.

B.K.

I got my cheap copy of Sleeping Beauty from Amazon today. Overall, it's in pretty good shape. The cover art has been pulled up a bit and it's folded and bent a bit. The worst thing about it is that it doesn't have the slip cover.

JdFoX187

Banned
vazel said:
Fox and the Hound didn't get as good a restoration job as their other releases. The image is grainy; it could've used some fine tuned DNR like their other releases got. And there are some odd visual issues with how foreground and background elements were composited which Disney did not fix. On the upside Fox and the Hound got a really high video bitrate to accommodate the grainy image so there's no macroblocking whatsoever.
That's a shame. It was a great movie when I was a little kid. Seems like it's the only blemish on a stunning list of releases so far.

Top Bottom