• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

kunonabi

I want Aladdin so much but I refuse to pay for the censored PC version. It might be a minor thing to most people but is just inexcusable to me.

Any word yet on The Little Mermaid?

TheExodu5

Banned
I love my Lion King steel case so much. Looks so nice in my collection. Futureshop has been classy as hell with their steelbooks lately:

lion_king.jpg

Tralfamadore64 said:
censored PC version?

The American Arab League pressured Disney to change some of the song lines in the new versions. If I remember correctly, in the original version, the opening song goes:

"Where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face" it's barbaric, but hey, it's home.

The new line goes:

"Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense"

It's a subtle line change, but people get their bonnets in a bunch if anything changes.

linkboy said:
Winnie the Pooh is coming out next week, sweet (had no idea), need to find a way to pick it up.

I've got the following movies

Classic

Alice in Wonderland
Bambi
Beauty and the Beast
Dumbo (R1 Mexican version)
Lion King
Pinocchio
Sleeping Beauty
Snow White

Still need to get Fox and the Hound (really wish I could find a copy without the crappy sequel).

no fantasia???? and i doubt we can even get a copy of fox and the hound without the crappy sequal, :(

and yea winnie the pooh comes out next week and i cant wait to get it. Theres a $5 DMR coupon as well.

Az987

all good things
Anyone post this yet?

It looks like 101 Dalmatians may be released on blu-ray in fall 2012.

Saw it on blu-ray.com/forum here's the link

http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-movies-north-america/185052-101-dalmatians-blu-ray-fall-2012-a.html

and then the German Disney site, here's a link running through google translator

http://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.disney-reporter.de%2Fphp%2Fnews.php%3Fnews_id%3D209&act=url

Don't shoot me if it turns out not to be true, I just thought maybe you Disney fan people would be interested.

FloppyDelux said:
So who else plans on getting winnie the pooh next week?
I do! I may not get it on release date, but I definitely want to get it soon. Still have to pick up Princess and the Frog and Fox and the Hound and I'm caught up on my Disney BRDs. (I'm skipping on Bambi II, though my OCD is killing me.)

cory.

Banned
Az987 said:
Anyone post this yet?

It looks like 101 Dalmatians may be released on blu-ray in fall 2012.

Saw it on blu-ray.com/forum here's the link

http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-movies-north-america/185052-101-dalmatians-blu-ray-fall-2012-a.html

and then the German Disney site, here's a link running through google translator

http://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.disney-reporter.de%2Fphp%2Fnews.php%3Fnews_id%3D209&act=url

Don't shoot me if it turns out not to be true, I just thought maybe you Disney fan people would be interested.
It's probably fall 2012 for the rest of the world and moved up to spring 2013 in the US, pushing Peter Pan back on the Diamond schedule (The Little Mermaid stays Fall '13).

eastmen

Banned
The Broken Ska Record said:
I do! I may not get it on release date, but I definitely want to get it soon. Still have to pick up Princess and the Frog and Fox and the Hound and I'm caught up on my Disney BRDs. (I'm skipping on Bambi II, though my OCD is killing me.)
to anyone using the rewards program they gave a $5 coupon off it. So i plan on getting it this week

kunonabi

icarus-daedelus said:
I assume you're one of those who refuse to buy Fantasia as long as they cut out the centaurette (which signs point to probably forever) unless you never cared for Fantasia in the first place.

never cared for it in the first place.

Usually I can deal with some censorship but the Aladdin thing was such PC bullshit that I've never been able to stomach it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Uhhh...what's up with Simba's eye color in The Lion King? During his adolescent years he has white and blue eyes, and during the scene with Mufasa's ghost, his eyes flash yellow for a few frames. When he comes back to Pride Rock, his eyes are Yellow and Red again. The heck?

edit: found the caps online

file.php

file.php

How could they not fix this?

edit: Apparently this is a blooper that's been in forever:

http://www.mylionking.com/wiki/The_Lion_King_Series_Movie_Mistakes
The whites of Simba's eyes change frequently through the movie, from yellow to white. They're yellow up until the scene where Pumbaa, Timon, and Simba are stargazing; after that they change back and forth frequently. During the Mufasa-in-the-sky scene, when Simba asks, "How can I go back? I'm not who I used to be," they change from yellow to white and back within three frames.

Sleeping Beauty was one of the first two Blu Rays I bought when I got my player back in 2009 (Blade Runner being the other film). On my old 2002 rear projection HDTV, it was stunning to behold.

But tonight I put it in and watched it for the first time on the Panasonic plasma I got back in April. HOLY SHIT. Seriously. This and many other Disney classics, are a testament to what lots of love (and money) can do to help preserve great works of film art.

I cannot wait to see what Lady and the Tramp and Cinderella look like. In fact, I find myself more impressed with how older films look on Blu instead of new ones. Because seeing these classics I grew up with restored to such stunning clarity, is like seeing a whole new movie.

Sinthetic

I've got:

Beauty and the Beast
Bambi
Toy Story 3
Monsters Inc
Wall-E
Ratatouille
Up
Princess and the Frog
Bolt
A Bug's Life

I watched Up a couple of nights ago and it was the most stunning Blu Ray I have ever seen. Stunning.

eastmen

Banned
I was down in Disney World last week. Got the Halloween parade on tape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvdMZ7VoJmM

Its all in 1080p.

I also got a parade at hollywood studios i will upload tommorow .

I'm sorry I didn't get the halloween fireworks , my 1 year old niece didn't like them so i took her into the stores while they were going off and my brother in law had my nephew

illadelph

Just purchased and watched my first Disney Blu-Ray, Alice in Wonderland, and started what will likely be an expensive addiction. I had seen Alice once when I was very young but I didn't really remember a whole lot of it. What an insane and creative movie...there are so many crazy and memorable characters. The Chesire Cat (of course) is awesome, as are the smoking Caterpillar, the Flowers, Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum, the Cards, and everyone else. The Tea Party scene had me rolling.

I couldn't believe that a 60-year-old film could look that good; it was absolutely stunning to watch. I can't wait to watch all of the extras.

Animated stuff seems to really benefit from the Blu-Ray format...the Looney Tunes set that comes out soon should be awesome.

I need to track down Sleeping Beauty somehow, but all of the other ones seem readily available at this point. I feel like I see Fantasia and Pinnoccio all over the place.

My most wanted Disney releases:
-The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
-Aladdin trilogy
-Peter Pan
-The Aristocats
-One Hundred and One Dalmations

illadelph

You guys are gonna laugh at me, but the reason I just started getting into collecting these movies is because I just started playing through Kingdom Hearts for the first time. That's why I went and got Alice in Wonderland, because it's the first level in the game haha. Anyway, I've been going through Alice's features and they are mindblowing. These sets are expensive, but Disney makes them worth the money. I think I'm gonna grab Fantasia next due to the limited print run, unless of course I somehow stumple upon Sleeping Beauty in the wild.

Oozer3993

illadelph said:
You guys are gonna laugh at me, but the reason I just started getting into collecting these movies is because I just started playing through Kingdom Hearts for the first time. That's why I went and got Alice in Wonderland, because it's the first level in the game haha. Anyway, I've been going through Alice's features and they are mindblowing. These sets are expensive, but Disney makes them worth the money. I think I'm gonna grab Fantasia next due to the limited print run, unless of course I somehow stumple upon Sleeping Beauty in the wild.

Sleeping Beauty (used) for $7, fulfilled by Amazon. The transfer is absolutely stunning.

Winnie the pooh ( new one) has great animation, ok story( pooh is trying to get honey ,but what else is new) , and i enjoyed all of it but its short( 62 mintues).

isny

napkin dispenser
FloppyDelux said:
Winnie the pooh ( new one) has great animation, ok story( pooh is trying to get honey ,but what else is new) , and i enjoyed all of it but its short( 62 mintues).

Being so short is why I'm waiting on picking this up. Hopefully it can be had for cheap on ebay or Amazon soon enough.

cory. said:
It's probably fall 2012 for the rest of the world and moved up to spring 2013 in the US, pushing Peter Pan back on the Diamond schedule (The Little Mermaid stays Fall '13).

It definitely says "Herbst" now, I'm assuming it said something else before? Definitely a typo if it did.

Merovin

Okay GAF, so I had forgot I pre-ordered both The Lion King Triloy on Blu-Ray and The Lion King 3D, which do I want? Keep 3D and pick up the others on separate release or just go with the trilogy and ditch the 3D? (Is the 3D any good as well)?

isny

napkin dispenser
Merovin said:
Okay GAF, so I had forgot I pre-ordered both The Lion King Triloy on Blu-Ray and The Lion King 3D, which do I want? Keep 3D and pick up the others on separate release or just go with the trilogy and ditch the 3D? (Is the 3D any good as well)?

Both include the movie in 3D.

And even if they didn't I would go with the trilogy unless you're a big fan of 3D. That's the one feature I still haven't become a fan of. But of course it's different opinions for everyone.

Merovin

VGChampion said:
And even if they didn't I would go with the trilogy unless you're a big fan of 3D. That's the one feature I still haven't become a fan of. But of course it's different opinions for everyone.

The only film I've watched in 3D at home is Tangled so far, but loved the 3D. I'm curious as to how it'll work on the likes of the Lion King. Besides, it appears the Pal copy of the Trilogy doesn't include the 3D version, so I'm still in debate...

isny

napkin dispenser
Merovin said:
The only film I've watched in 3D at home is Tangled so far, but loved the 3D. I'm curious as to how it'll work on the likes of the Lion King. Besides, it appears the Pal copy of the Trilogy doesn't include the 3D version, so I'm still in debate...

I'd wait then, as the packaging sucks for the trilogy, and we already know the other two will be released separately.

Suairyu

Banned
Huh. So I managed to snag Alice In Wonderland (60th Anniversary Edition, apparently) the other day, yet I was startled to see later that the extras are sorely lacking compared to other Disney blu ray releases so far. No blu-ray documentary disc and the bonuses on the film disc seem rather scant.

Was there another edition on blu ray or is this just how it was released? I'm honestly confused here. Especially given that this wasn't called 'Diamond Edition'. Perhaps 'Diamond Edition' specifically refers to if they're getting a good documentary treatment as well?

Got The Lion King diamond a couple weeks ago. Watched with my 7 yo daughter last weekend (first time she saw it) and it was amazing. I hadn't seen it in years, either, so it was certainly a powerful movie to watch together.

RevDM

Banned
Are Bambi and The Lion King that hard to come by? I definitely want my kids to see these some day, but I don't plan on having kids for another 10 years lol.

johnsmith

remember me
Suairyu said:
Huh. So I managed to snag Alice In Wonderland (60th Anniversary Edition, apparently) the other day, yet I was startled to see later that the extras are sorely lacking compared to other Disney blu ray releases so far. No blu-ray documentary disc and the bonuses on the film disc seem rather scant.

Was there another edition on blu ray or is this just how it was released? I'm honestly confused here. Especially given that this wasn't called 'Diamond Edition'. Perhaps 'Diamond Edition' specifically refers to if they're getting a good documentary treatment as well?

There's only 1 version of Alice in Wonderland. Diamond Editions do get the most special features, but at least Alice in Wonderland got a top notch video transfer and restoration.

There's a 76 minute HD documentary included, so the bonus features are definitely there.

I watched The Lion King on Blu-ray. That movie hasn't looked better, my god. The opening is still as beautiful as I remembered.

I love this movie. This might sound weird, but I never got to watch the sequel, is it any good?

B.K. said:
Disney straight to video sequels are never good.
My friend told me that The Lion King 2 is surprisingly good, Romeo & Juliet instead of Hamlet this time he said. :p

Man, I love watching my favorite Disney's movies in HD. Apart from The Lion King, I got The Nighmare Before Christmas, Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland and Tangled. They look amazing. I need Aladdin though!

Is possible for Tarzan to get some HD magic? I just did a google search and didn't see it anywhere, just some placeholders.

Christopher

Tarzan
Pocahontas
Lady and the Tramp
Cinderella

The Lion King II
The Lady and the Tramp II
The Lion King I 1/2

All due to come out in 2012

illadelph

isny said:
That was Lasseter's baby right? I'm sure we'll see it eventually given his influence within the company.
Yeah, I own it on DVD and the image quality isn't too hot...I would like to see it look better, it's a great movie.

I haven't seen them in years but I remember liking the Aladdin sequels.

Gvaz

Banned
illadelph said:
Yeah, I own it on DVD and the image quality isn't too hot...I would like to see it look better, it's a great movie.

I haven't seen them in years but I remember liking the Aladdin sequels.
I thought I liked Return of Jafar as a kid, but I just watched it recently and #3.

Don't watch them. Maybe 3. But no, first is the best, by a long shot.

picked up 'the lion king' on monday as it just arrived here in the uk. ordered 'beauty & the beast' from disney rewards as i had yet to get the blu-ray of that too.
'the fox & the hound' isn't out over here, right?

Risette

A Good Citizen
icarus-daedelus said:
Before Diamond it was Platinum (for Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio on blu-ray and most of their more popular titles on DVD) and yeah, those tend to get better treatment all around wrt both transfers and extras. Mainly, I think, because they're more popular and more liable to sell well, rather than out of greater esteem.
Nah, the transfers get more "cleaned up" -- and we all know what that means. Nobody cares much in animated stuff because smeared lines aren't as immediately apparent to the common viewer as wax people, but it is what it is. Although, the cleanup on Sleeping Beauty is pretty much without any negative effects because of the fine-grained nature of 70mm film.

Fox and the Hound is probably the most natural looking shot-on-film Disney BD.

Top Bottom