• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Updated the OP with the new Lady and the Tramp details.

CyJIH.jpg

That's one beautiful cover, even with the dumb vertical title.

Famassu

Does anyone know if all of the movies in the US version of Lion King Trilogy super mega package (with the 3D version of the original and all) are region-free? It seems the UK Trilogy doesn't have the 3D version and I'd very much like to have it since my little brother got a 3DTV so I thought I'd try it out with Lion King.

JdFoX187

Banned
Christopher said:
Tarzan
Pocahontas
Lady and the Tramp
Cinderella

The Lion King II
The Lady and the Tramp II
The Lion King I 1/2

All due to come out in 2012
Any confirmation on Tarzan? Haven't heard anything about that. I'm guessing Aladdin is looking like 2013 it seems. Where the fuck is my Jungle Book Disney?!

Famassu said:
Does anyone know if all of the movies in the US version of Lion King Trilogy super mega package (with the 3D version of the original and all) are region-free? It seems the UK Trilogy doesn't have the 3D version and I'd very much like to have it since my little brother got a 3DTV so I thought I'd try it out with Lion King.

Pretty sure all Disney releases are region free.

eastmen

Banned
BertramCooper said:
Updated the OP with the new Lady and the Tramp details.

CyJIH.jpg

That's one beautiful cover, even with the dumb vertical title.

Its so they can have the beautiful iconic shot from the movie on the cover. The title going across the top would take up way to much room horizontaly and verticly

I haven't bought a Disney bluray since Pinocchio I think (trying to save money whereever I can). Thought of checking the prices on the 3D releases and was quite shocked to see them all locked at $29.99 (amazon)

That's a significant markup over what I was used to pay for single-movie releases, and makes them a much harder impulse buy for me.

Even Coraline 3D which is not Disney is $29, ouch.

johnsmith

remember me
OP list is missing tons of stuff. Missing Sleeping Beauty, and the newer releases, which while not as popular, are still part of the canon.

Dinosaur, Meet the Robinsons, Bolt, The Princess and the Frog, Tangled, and Winnie the Pooh all count.

woahitsreeo said:
I think the OP needs to update with a definitive list of current 3D Disney and Pixar releases on Blu Ray as well as upcoming releases.
I created this thread specifically to help people deal with the Disney Vault, since it's so goddamn confusing.

For the sake of simplicity, any Disney film that is not subject to the Vault policy will not be included in the OP. Disney's new films don't get vaulted, nor have any of the Pixar films, so it wouldn't be that helpful. Also, I'm lazy.

But by all means, feel free to use the thread to discuss anything remotely Disney-related. Anything at all.

icarus-daedelus said:
They're right about Sleeping Beauty, though.
I just added it back to the OP.

I had removed it because it was vaulted ages ago, but I see that you can still get new copies off Amazon. Well, through Amazon.

I'll probably take it off again once it gets really scarce.

BertramCooper said:
I just added it back to the OP.

I had removed it because it was vaulted ages ago, but I see that you can still get new copies off Amazon. Well, through Amazon.

I'll probably take it off again once it gets really scarce.

Don't forget the rumored 3d re-release in 2015

isny

napkin dispenser
Just a heads up for those you going to see The Muppets using the Movie Rewards Movie Cash. It says $10, but if you use it like a credit card to purchase the ticket online through your theatres website, it will allow over $10.

I purchased tickets at $10.99 Canadian and they were approved.

YMMV of course, but why pay extra if you don't have to =)

BearChair

Has there any news about more of the Ghibli movies being put on Blu Ray by Disney? It has already released Ponyo and Nausicaa. I keep hoping for Porco Rosso to get a release, but that hasn't even happened in Japan yet.

vazel

Banned
I have always wondered how much more/less money they make by vaulting titles.
Tracking down a used copy of the platinum DVD edition of Beauty and the Beast was a bitch. I had to buy it $30 used. I also had to be careful with counterfeits there were a lot of them out there because of how in demand Disney's out of print Platinum DVDs were.

Now I make sure to buy Disney's diamond edition BDs as soon as I can so that won't happen to me again. So at least with me it works in making me buy them as soon as I can instead of procrastinating to buy them.

Tracking down a used copy of the platinum DVD edition of Beauty and the Beast was a bitch. I had to buy it $30 used. I also had to be careful with counterfeits there were a lot of them out there because of how in demand Disney's out of print Platinum DVDs were.

Now I make sure to buy Disney's diamond edition BDs as soon as I can so that won't happen to me again. So at least with me it works in making me buy them as soon as I can instead of procrastinating to buy them.
Is it easy to notice the difference between a counterfeit and the real deal? I had to buy Fantasia from Gohastings for $30 used. I should have bought it on Amazon when they had it in stock. :|

vazel

Banned
Is it easy to notice the difference between a counterfeit and the real deal? I had to buy Fantasia from Gohastings for $30 used. I should have bought it on Amazon when they had it in stock. :|
If you're talking about the BD I don't think there are any counterfeit BDs around yet. Counterfeit HD movies are burned on DVDs without any of the menus or extra features.

For DVDs authentic copies will have an IFPI number and barcode stamped on the inner rim of the DVD disc.

isny

napkin dispenser
Has there any news about more of the Ghibli movies being put on Blu Ray by Disney? It has already released Ponyo and Nausicaa. I keep hoping for Porco Rosso to get a release, but that hasn't even happened in Japan yet.

We'll get Arietty, but they haven't announced any catalog Ghibli titles to be released on Blu next year.

Really looking forward to that one at least. I almost imported it from the UK, but holding out as the Disney release will probably be better.

DeadTrees

In case you have a Blockbuster nearby that's still open, they're running a sale on sub-$20 new Blu-rays: three for $25, or five for $50. A whole bunch of Disney/Pixar titles have been spotted, including (extremely YMMV, of course) Fantasia/Fantasia 2000.

Top Bottom