• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

ReaperXL7

Ok so quick question as i'm not sure the full list of movies that are considered to be "Vaulted" but has there been any mention of The Black Cauldron, The Little Mermaid, or Hercules on Blu ray yet?

Admiitedly the Black Cauldron, and Hercules are more for me because I enjoy those alot but Cauldron might be a bit too dark to introduce to my daughter yet. She's become obsessed with the Princess movies though, during the scene were Briar/Aurora, and Prince Phillip are dancing she picks up her giant stuffed frog and dances and sings with it. Sleeping beauty is her favorite So far, but she likes Beauty and the beast (my favorite of the princess movies), and Snow White, so i'd like to complete it by getting Little Mermaid, and Cinderella.

I'd add Aladdin aswell but i'm not sure if it's considered a princess movie since Aladdin is technically the main character.

Ok so quick question as i'm not sure the full list of movies that are considered to be "Vaulted" but has there been any mention of The Black Cauldron, The Little Mermaid, or Hercules on Blu ray yet?

Admiitedly the Black Cauldron, and Hercules are more for me because I enjoy those alot but Cauldron might be a bit too dark to introduce to my daughter yet. She's become obsessed with the Princess movies though, during the scene were Briar/Aurora, and Prince Phillip are dancing she picks up her giant stuffed frog and dances and sings with it. Sleeping beauty is her favorite So far, but she likes Beauty and the beast (my favorite of the princess movies), and Snow White, so i'd like to complete it by getting Little Mermaid, and Cinderella.

I'd add Aladdin aswell but i'm not sure if it's considered a princess movie since Aladdin is technically the main character.

The Little Mermaid should arrive on Blu-ray in 2013, based on the supposed order of the Blu-ray releases.

Hercules will arrive on Blu-ray at some point, but don't expect anything special. It's one of the weaker films of the Disney Renaissance and probably won't get the full treatment.

The Black Cauldron will get a bare bones release in the distant future. Definitely not any time soon.

cory.

Banned

Black Cauldron was released on DVD last year, so it probably won't get a Blu-ray release for a long time. As for the others, refer to this post I made.

Stinks that so many of these films will be out of the print by the time I get around to buying a Blu-Ray Player.

So buy them now before they go OOP and have them for when you get a Blu Ray player. But players are so cheap now. You can get good ones from Sony, Samsung, and Panasonic for around $80 new now.

ReaperXL7

The Little Mermaid should arrive on Blu-ray in 2013, based on the supposed order of the Blu-ray releases.

Hercules will arrive on Blu-ray at some point, but don't expect anything special. It's one of the weaker films of the Disney Renaissance and probably won't get the full treatment.

The Black Cauldron will get a bare bones release in the distant future. Definitely not any time soon.

Oh I know Herc is not considered anywhere near the top of the Disney masterworks or anything, but I liked it overall. I thought it was interesting at the time for Disney to take on Greek Myth instead of the more traditional stuff that I was used to from them, and dispite some complaints I enjoyed it overall. I know Disney won't treat it the same as something like Cinderella, or B&B though.

Black Cauldron was released on DVD last year, so it probably won't get a Blu-ray release for a long time. As for the others, refer to this post I made.

I've always been alittle curious why the Black Cauldron always seemed to be like a Black Sheep film for Disney. I suppose it could just be because the movie is much Darker than probably anything else they have ever done, but i've always thought it was a great movie overall. Sucks i'll have to wait a good long while for it on BR though.

Thanks for the replies from both you.

cory.

Banned
I've always been alittle curious why the Black Cauldron always seemed to be like a Black Sheep film for Disney. I suppose it could just be because the movie is much Darker than probably anything else they have ever done, but i've always thought it was a great movie overall. Sucks i'll have to wait a good long while for it on BR though.

Thanks for the replies from both you.

They lost a lot of money on it at the time ($52m cost vs $44m revenue in today's dollars), and Disney really likes to capitalize on their past hits and marginalize what they perceive as lesser efforts. My dream Blu-ray is Treasure Planet, another bomb ($176m cost vs $137m worldwide revenue in today's dollars, but it probably broke even with the DVD release).

So buy them now before they go OOP and have them for when you get a Blu Ray player. But players are so cheap now. You can get good ones from Sony, Samsung, and Panasonic for around $80 new now.

I don't even know if I'm going to get a Blu-Ray player at this point though. I don't own a HDTV yet of any significant size and by the time I do own one I may just roll straight into digital distro.

Menaged

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but I'll do it anyway.
I noticed that Fantasia is back at the vault.

Now, Amazon UK has it, but I can only get Fantasia 2000 since it's region free (US PS3).
To be honest, I don't remember any of the two, but I don't mind blind buying Fantasia 2000 if it should be very good.

So - should I?

A side note - I watched B&B for the first time in my life last week and it was amazing!
It's not just that the movie itself is great but the PQ is beyong beautiful.

I don't even know if I'm going to get a Blu-Ray player at this point though. I don't own a HDTV yet of any significant size and by the time I do own one I may just roll straight into digital distro.

If you have an HDTV of any size it is worth it. And digital distro is cool and all, but the picture and especially sound will always be a step down from the Blu Ray discs. Unless you want 30-50GB video files. And lossless sound in films is so very nice to have.

cory.

Banned
Not sure if this is the place to ask, but I'll do it anyway.
I noticed that Fantasia is back at the vault.

Now, Amazon UK has it, but I can only get Fantasia 2000 since it's region free (US PS3).
To be honest, I don't remember any of the two, but I don't mind blind buying Fantasia 2000 if it should be very good.

So - should I?

Yes. And are you sure it's region free and the combo pack isn't?

If you have an HDTV of any size it is worth it.
Yep. My personal HDTV is 22" and it still makes a huge difference.

Menaged

Yes. And are you sure it's region free and the combo pack isn't?

Well, what I do usually is just check the back of the box.
You can see in the combo pack pic that the original is B region, while 2000 is ABC.

I might end up buying the combo since it's not too expensive and for the next few weeks I have a PAL PS3 since my got broken.

Probarly grab that with Tangled and The Incredibles.

Erasus

Blu-Ray movies are like 30GB...

Sure downloaded movies still look great to me.

Suairyu

Banned
Have enough points now for a blu ray. Would have had one long ago but I didn't know I had to regularly log in to retain points, so lost a bunch.

Going to pick up Tangled.

18-Volt

According to dvdizzy.com, blu-ray.com and some regional Disney Video distrubutors (Greece, Germany, France and UAE) release lists, 2012 Disney Classics Blu-ray lineup pretty much confirmed for Europe:

February 1-9:
Lady and the Tramp Diamond Edition
Lady and the Tramp 2: Scamp's Adventure (Not in US)

March - April:
Pocahontas
Pocahontas 2: Journey to the New World
Tarzan
Fox and the Hound (2 - Pack) (already released in US)

Fall:
Cinderella Diamond Edition
Cinderella 2: Dreams Come True
Cinderella 3: A Twist in Time
The Aristocats
101 Dalmatians
101 Dalmatians 2: Patch's London Adventure
The Rescuers
The Rescuers Down Under
Aladdin (no sequels mentioned)
Tigger Movie

Pixar:

Up 3D (Spring)
Finding Nemo (Fall)
Brave (December)

There are many sources confirming this, like the official German release list, but dates are different in each country, like Pocahontas releasing in march in most of Europe but not in Germany.

What do you think? Busy year, isn't it?

Suairyu

Banned
My wallet weeps. My eyes and ears celebrate.

I mean, even if you cut that down to just animated classics:

Pocahontas
Tarzan
Fox and the Hound
The Aristocats
101 Dalmatians
The Rescuers
The Rescuers Down Under
Aladdin

That's stupid insane. I really, really wish they could have just stuck to doing two or three Diamond Editions a year and left it at that. Give each film the treatment and room to breathe it deserves. As it is, now I'm backed up on documentaries.

According to dvdizzy.com, blu-ray.com and some regional Disney Video distrubutors (Greece, Germany, France and UAE) release lists, 2012 Disney Classics Blu-ray lineup pretty much confirmed for Europe:

February 1-9:

March - April:
Pocahontas
Tarzan

Fall:
The Aristocats
101 Dalmatians

The Rescuers
The Rescuers Down Under
Tigger Movie

Pixar:

Up 3D ](Spring)
Finding Nemo (Fall)
Brave (December)

There are many sources confirming this, like the official German release list, but dates are different in each country, like Pocahontas releasing in march in most of Europe but not in Germany.

probebly will buy those.

Famassu

Damn, and I was just happy when I caught up with all Disney & Pixar releases a few months ago. With this many releases, I'm not going to be able to keep up with keeping my collection up to date. :<

Will probably get these:

Pocahontas
Tarzan
Fox and the Hound (2 - Pack)
The Aristocats
101 Dalmatians
The Rescuers
The Rescuers Down Under
Tigger Movie
Finding Nemo (Fall)
Brave (December)

JdFoX187

Banned
Control+F: Jungle Book "No results" GAH!

Otherwise, impressive list that almost seems too good to be true. No way all of those are coming out this year in a massive flood like that. Would love to be proven wrong though.

My List:
Pocahontas
Tarzan
The Aristocats
101 Dalmatians
The Rescuers
The Rescuers Down Under

Wallet am cry.

FOOTE

February 1-9:

March - April:
Pocahontas
Tarzan

Fall:
The Aristocats
101 Dalmatians
The Rescuers
The Rescuers Down Under
Tigger Movie

Pixar:

Up 3D (Spring)
Finding Nemo (Fall)
Brave (December)

I'd be very surprised if all of these are released this year but I wont complain if they are.

At least in theaters, the 3D for Lion King was great.

How does 3d even work? Are the 2d characters on different planes but still 2d or do the characters look 3d.

I wanted to see lion kind but don´t want to spend 12 bucks to see it. Rather spend it on the blu-ray

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
This vault business was cool before the creation of Ebay... But now...

Sleeping Beauty is a definite must have, but Hercules is nowhere to be seen.

saw Hercules again recently. It wasn't as good as I remembered (aside from James Woods, still an awesome Hades).

Sleeping Beauty is fantastic though.

NekoFever

If you have an HDTV of any size it is worth it.
My friend doesn't even have an HDTV and he buys all his movies on Blu-ray. It's obviously not night-and-day like going from SD to HD, but if you've got an eye for compression artefacts and other PQ issues that were more prevalent in the DVD days (edge enhancement, etc) it's still an improvement. Plus he can get the lossless audio. And future-proofing.

Also, damn, I didn't realise that The Fox and the Hound is out in the US. Time to import, I think.

Wow. If that list is real, it's going to be an awesome, expensive year for Disney movies. My purchases:

Pocahontas
101 Dalmatians
Finding Nemo (Fall)
Brave (December)

Only reason I really would want Pocahontas is for the documentaries and to hear the songs in Lossless 5.1. The music from that movie is incredible, even if the plot isn't.

Menaged

Just finished watching Fantasia 2000... Holy SHIT!

That was beyond amazing.
I didn't really remember what Fantasia is all about, but after it started the nostalgia poured in - from the days I was a young kid watching the original one on VHS at my uncle's home.

I loved almost every one of them (the whales wasn't on par though), and can't pick a favourite. Maybe the NY thingy, because I just LOVED the visual style.

I'm just upset about this whole vault thing.
I went traveling for a year so I missed on a few movies like Sleeping Beauty and the original Fantasia (UK is region locked, and I have a PS3 from the US).

One other thing - about the disney reward program.
Is it possible to use the points if I live in Israel or is it eligible only for US \ UK residents?
If it's the latter, I guess I have some that I can give to anyone who wants...

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Tarzan
Fox and the Hound (2 - Pack)
The Aristocats
101 Dalmatians
The Rescuers
The Rescuers Down Under
Aladdin
Tigger Movie
Finding Nemo
Brave

My wallet just wept.

So still no bluray 101? :(

That list is all BluRay releases. 101 AND 101 2 will be out on BRD this fall if that list comes true.

How the fuck am I supposed to afford all these movies? I'm still missing Wall-E and Ratatouille from my BR collection. Thank God Disney puts out those $5/8/10 coupons with each release. Sheyit.

18-Volt

Oh, still a long way to wait then =/

Not too long. French distrubutor's website shows 101 and Aristocats blu-rays for september.

qv796.jpg

Have you seen Pinocchio, mang? Shit's amazing.

Yo gyal I have seen Pinocchio. Definitely one of my favorite Disney films and an excellent cautionary tale to children. When I get kids I'm gonna sit them down and watch this with them, and hopefully not scar them emotionally in the process or anything.

Might as well justify the bump in asking if there are any plans to release Tarzan on bluray? It's a flawed film for sure but I'm a big fan of the soundtrack and the opening scene in particular.

Top Bottom