• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Suairyu

Banned
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
V0QuD.jpg

From an Australian retailer.
So ugly. Will Pocahontas-only version.

cory.

Banned
So ugly. Will Pocahontas-only version.

Doesn't look like there will be.

Other titles that this could affect (with only 1 sequel, non-Diamond):
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Atlantis
Mulan
The Emperor's New Groove
Brother Bear
Possibly Lilo & Stitch and Tarzan

Gameboy415

The list of new Disney Blu-Rays for 2012 looks amazing!
I'd swear I heard that stand-alone releases of The Lion King sequels were coming out early this year too....?

Are any other animated classics scheduled to get 3D re-releases like Beauty & the Beast or The Lion King??

I'm finally getting a 3D TV in the next couple weeks so I'm psyched to check out The Lion King in 3D. :)

February 1-9:
Lady and the Tramp Diamond Edition
Lady and the Tramp 2: Scamp's Adventure (Not in US)

March - April:
Pocahontas
Pocahontas 2: Journey to the New World
Tarzan
Fox and the Hound (2 - Pack) (already released in US)

Fall:
Cinderella Diamond Edition
Cinderella 2: Dreams Come True
Cinderella 3: A Twist in Time
The Aristocats
101 Dalmatians
101 Dalmatians 2: Patch's London Adventure
The Rescuers
The Rescuers Down Under
Aladdin (no sequels mentioned)
Tigger Movie

Pixar:

Up 3D (Spring)
Finding Nemo (Fall)
Brave (December)

Highlighted ones are the musts for me. Not sure if I want to get the shitty sequels or not yet. Super excited to watch The Rescuers Down Under again. And 101 Dalmatians.

18-Volt

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
V0QuD.jpg

From an Australian retailer.

Damn, this looks bad. A Disney renaissance classic and a shitty sequel made by same team brought us Jungle Book 2 and Hunchback 2. Way to go, Disney.

Btw, Aussies are lucky to get this on Feb 29th. Europe has to wait for April 23rd.

Oozer3993

I'm definitely in for Cinderella, Aladdin, and Finding Nemo, with Up 3D and Brave as possibles. And if there are any good deals with some of the other ones I'll probably bite too.

How does 3d even work? Are the 2d characters on different planes but still 2d or do the characters look 3d.

I wanted to see lion kind but don´t want to spend 12 bucks to see it. Rather spend it on the blu-ray

In the Lion King, the characters looked 3D. They weren't just paper cutouts held up in front of a background. It was impressive that a 2D animated movie could look that good in 3D.

Doesn't look like there will be.

Other titles that this could affect (with only 1 sequel, non-Diamond):
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Atlantis
Mulan
The Emperor's New Groove
Brother Bear
Possibly Lilo & Stitch and Tarzan

All those movies have a sequel? What rock have I been living under. Not sure if I've even heard of Brother Bear.

I'm buying Pocahontas strictly for the 5.1 soundtrack anyway.

Never was a huge fan of the movie. I can't believe that everybody was leaving The Lion King for that movie.

NekoFever

I really hope this practice of bundling in the sequels doesn't become the standard. I'm sure they're popular with kids and therefore profitable but if I was Disney I'd be trying to bury that crap and pretend it never happened.

I need to dig out that awesome jab at Cinderella II from the Steve Jobs biography.

B.K.

Are there any places to find Snow White and Fantasia for reasonable prices? I missed out on those two. I shouldn't have waited.

Pocahontas goes with Hercules at the lower end of the Disney Renaissance spectrum.

The animation is great, but the movie is pretty insulting for anyone with at least a passing knowledge of the Pocahontas/John Smith story.

People really love Pocahontas? Hmm. I always thought it was kind of a middling entry in the Disney canon.

Same. I made fun of it when I was a kid watching it in the theater, though I am fond of the music moreso than the film itself. Its artstyle though - I ate that up after falling in love with more angular lines from BTAS/STAS.

Duderz

Banned
I always considered the Disney renaissance ending with The Lion King.

Pocahontas, Hercules, Tarzan, Mulan, Hunchback....all of these don't even begin to compare with the films just previous to them.

B.K.

Pocahontas, Hercules, Tarzan, Mulan, Hunchback....all of these don't even begin to compare with the films just previous to them.

I guess it's a good thing that the last Disney movie I've seen was The Lion King.

If Hunchback's Blu-ray release were Hunchback/Hunchback II I would consider boycotting it.

This matters to me for almost no other release, but Hunchback II. Jesus Christ.

I somewhat agree. Mulan, to me, fits within the Disney Princess thing so it gets a pass (it's also one of my favorite movies) while Hunchback I watched just as much as LM, B&B, Aladdin, LK as a kid - it was interesting to see Disney adapt such a dark story into film.

Pocahontas, Hercules and Tarzan... the first two I mostly remember due to their music while Tarzan had interesting tech (and Phil Collins' song)... but are mostly forgettable to me actually. I'll still buy the films on bd just because I never picked them up on VHS/DVD.

Duderz

Banned
I guess it's a good thing that the last Disney movie I've seen was The Lion King.

The movies I listed earlier I think range from decent to mediocre; The Princess and the Frog was the first BIG step in the right direction from Disney, and Tangled only furthered it.

I'm REALLY interested in seeing the direction Disney goes with The Snow Queen. I feel like it's going to be a big challenge for Disney, with potentially big payoffs.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Why didn't anyone tell me the best Lion King sequel is getting a blu-ray?
the-lion-king-1-1-2gwy98.jpg

Now announce a Duck Tales movie blu-ray, and I'll own the two best non-Pixar Disney movies.

Why didn't anyone tell me the best Lion King sequel is getting a blu-ray?
the-lion-king-1-1-2gwy98.jpg

Now announce a Duck Tales movie blu-ray, and I'll own the two best non-Pixar Disney movies.

It's already on Blu Ray out now. Now the question is when did the individual release get announced?

FOOTE

It's already on Blu Ray out now. Now the question is when did the individual release get announced?

September or October if I remember correctly. Lion King 2 and Lion King 1 1/2 will be out March 6, 2012 in US/Canada. I don't know about European dates, if any.

markatisu

I somewhat agree. Mulan, to me, fits within the Disney Princess thing so it gets a pass (it's also one of my favorite movies) while Hunchback I watched just as much as LM, B&B, Aladdin, LK as a kid - it was interesting to see Disney adapt such a dark story into film.

Pocahontas, Hercules and Tarzan... the first two I mostly remember due to their music while Tarzan had interesting tech (and Phil Collins' song)... but are mostly forgettable to me actually. I'll still buy the films on bd just because I never picked them up on VHS/DVD.

Hunchback was originally supposed to be MUCH darker, had they went with their original vision of the film I think it would have been more of a critical success. Toned down does even begin to describe what the final result was. Think more "hellfire". The epic opening to the movie should have been the tone of the whole thing, especially compared to the source.

OK, so is the first half of the year in Disney Blu-rays really as dismal in the US as it seems?

When are we getting Pocahontas? And is there any rumored releases for all the European announced titles?

Christopher

2012 Disney Blu Ray Releases:

Lady & The Tramp
Lady & The Tramp II
Pocohantas
Pocohantas II
Tarzan
Cinderella
The Rescuers Down Under
The Arisocats

UP 3D
Finding Nemo 3D

This year doesn't look too bad if you ask me

2012 Disney Blu Ray Releases:

Lady & The Tramp
Lady & The Tramp II
Pocohantas
Pocohantas II
Tarzan
Cinderella
The Rescuers Down Under
The Arisocats

UP 3D
Finding Nemo 3D

This year doesn't look too bad if you ask me

why would they release the Rescuers down under and not the Rescuers( the original)?? also we NEED Aladdin!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hey now, Tarzan actually was pretty good. Had believable romance, fucking Gaston, and tree-surfing.

...and I just realized A Goofy Movie and An Extremely Goofy Movie aren't in BR...

18-Volt

From Lady & the Tramp's insert;

NGGF0.jpg

iKcid.jpg

3iY1C.jpg

NolqI.jpg

ITfKs.jpg

So there it is. Next one from Diamond line will be Aladdin, which was previously dropped from Diamond line. Cinderella keeps that stupid vertical title thing. Pocahontas is coming to NA with double pack with horrendous cover art. Rescuers double pack, The Aristocats blu-rays are due summer.

Tarzan and 101 Dalmatians are nowhere to be seen, which both are slated for fall for Europe. Tarzan will be released in april in Australia.

Magnus

I don't understand the rage over the double-packs. The damned things sell for high prices anyway; why not get the extra content? Don't watch it if you don't care to.

Frankly, I see it as a good sign that Aladdin may get its sequels packed in too, and I actually enjoyed those.

I hear you on the cover not being stellar. It's not terrible either though. I mean, the art's nice, and it's a far cry from gaming double/triple-pack covers.

Umm.. doesn't that say Aladdin is Spring 2013?

:(

The only truly bad news here, yes. :(

18-Volt

101 Dalmatians will probably be the Diamond edition release for Fall 2013. (Or maybe The Little Mermaid?)

The Little Mermaid. It's going to be re-released 3D in theatres in summer 2013. Probably trilogy Blu-ray set including 3D of first film will be released fall 2013.

101 Dalmatians coming this year for Europe is confirmed. Nobody knows if it will be double pack as other releases or not. I hope they release separate versions. 101 Dalmatians sequel is no better than other crappy disney sequels.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The movies I listed earlier I think range from decent to mediocre; The Princess and the Frog was the first BIG step in the right direction from Disney, and Tangled only furthered it.

Princess and the Frog was awful. Just awful.

Bad news on Aladdin, but I look forward to getting Aristocats, Tarzan and Pocahontas on Blu-ray this year.

The one good thing about Aladdin is that it'll be a Diamond release. I recall Disney was going to drop it from the diamond line because it had the lowest sales of the platinum DVDs, so I'm glad they changed their minds.

I'm sure it would've been loaded with bonus features regardless, but it's nice to know it'll get a substantial release.

Top Bottom