• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

MicH

Really looking forward to Aladdin and also the Little Mermaid. The Mouse Detective is one of my favorite films as well.

But man this year is going to be packed. Tarzan, Pocahontas, The Rescuers, Cindarella and the Aristocats? Jesus :D

The one double-pack that actually makes sense.

Somebody, somewhere, should be torched and pitchforked for the existence of The Fox & The Hound 2, let alone its release on blu-ray with the original.

Yea. That one makes the most sense, but whatever. Wee!

I'm also surprised in no The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh this year. What with the sequel released last year.

Is there any place for Aladdin in a post 9/11 world? It's almost like the world wiped him from the history books.

AARABIAN NIIIIIGHTS!

Gosh, I can't wait!

Yeah, it sucks that it was delayed till 2013, but at least we're getting Cinderella, which, IMO, is one of the best of the classic Disney era.

Will get Pocahontas for the soundtrack.

LosDaddie

Banned
I know it's probably been said here many times, but holy shit does Beauty & the Beast look amazing on blu-ray. We bought it for our daughter for Christmas, finally got to watch last weekend, and my mind was blown.

Really, just spectacular work by Disney.

FOOTE

Well I'm a fan of those releases.

Aladdin is getting the Diamond treatment? Sweet! Don't mind waiting for that one because I know Disney is going to treat it well.

3iY1C.jpg

Oh, thank GOD. I was really pulling for them doing this. I could give a shit about the other pack-in sequel combo things they're doing but this one, this is the right one.

Edit: Even though it's been a while, I honestly would love another Rescuers movie.

Just added The Aristocats, The Rescuers/The Rescuers Down Under, and Aladdin to the list of upcoming releases in the OP.

Thanks for the updates, folks!

No Aladdin in 2012 sucks but I'll take a Spring '13 release over no news! Super excited! Getting closer and closer to my favorite movies on Blu. Well, that might finish off all my absolute favorites. :)

Now if only I could get Robin Hood I'd be good. Oh, and I still want to see Little Mermaid. I need to see Under the Sea in 1080p.

cory.

Banned
3iY1C.jpg

Oh, thank GOD. I was really pulling for them doing this. I could give a shit about the other pack-in sequel combo things they're doing but this one, this is the right one.

Edit: Even though it's been a while, I honestly would love another Rescuers movie.

Awesome! A valid combo pack like Fantasia/Fantasia 2000.

Fantasia must be going out of stock super fast. It's already going for $65 through Amazon.

Sleeping Beauty has been vaulted for almost two years and it's going for $37.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I've got a new tv that's not trash, and a headset that lets me experience games/movies other than the TV's bad stereo, and I was looking to start picking up some blu-rays/dvds(dvds mostly just for shows since the ones I'll want probably won't come out on blu-ray)

I was probably going to pick up Lion King, but I'm not much of a Pixar guy(weird, I know), and the idea of Rescuers getting a blu-ray is interesting to me. My point is, should I get the Lion King special box with 1, 2 and 1 1/2?I want 1 and 1 1/2, but I would NEVER watch 2, and I know they'll be selling 1 1/2 separate soon

Also: I've never seen Alice. Worth it?

Just a reminder: Lady and the Tramp comes out Tuesday!

The coupon site on DMR is up: http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/promotions/special-offers/ladyupgrade

(You'll need to enter the UPC code from the DVD: 786936284058)

Also, apparently Target is running an awesome deal where you can get another Disney movie (either Tangled, Beauty & the Beast, Dumbo, Lion King, Bambi, or Winnie the Pooh) and get $8 off at the register when you buy it with Lady and the Tramp. That's in addition to money saved from the coupon.

If this site is correct, that means you can get two Disney movies for around $30! I'm not 100% sure it works, but I still need to get Dumbo, so I'd say it's worth a shot.

cory.

Banned
I totally forgot I had it ordered for $10 off on Amazon from months ago. Though I did have to get the gold cover edition. My collection is ruined.

The Lamp

Is it still possible to buy some of the older blu-ray releases like Snow White and Sleeping Beauty? I'm a poor college student right now but I'm hoping I can find them for reasonable (even though undoubtedly inflated) prices after I graduate lol.
I wonder if we'll ever see Aladdin's sequels on Blu-Ray.

I just realized that this thread turned one year old this past week.

Thanks to everyone for keeping it going. I think it's really turned out to be a great resource for Disneyphiles.

I think they'll probably be separate.

Disney only seems to be doing the sequel bundles for some of the not-so-popular films, like The Fox and the Hound and The Rescuers.

I think he was referring to a bundle like that of the Lion King trilogy. I wouldn't be surprised if they did one of those for Aladdin and for Little Mermaid. Kinda surprised they didn't do it for Beauty and the Beast when they re-released the BluRay as the 3D version, especially since all the sequels are out on DVD/BR now.

I think he was referring to a bundle like that of the Lion King trilogy. I wouldn't be surprised if they did one of those for Aladdin and for Little Mermaid. Kinda surprised they didn't do it for Beauty and the Beast when they re-released the BluRay as the 3D version, especially since all the sequels are out on DVD/BR now.

Ahh, okay. I almost completely forgot about that one.

Yeah, I guess that's possible.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

I hope so. I absolutely loved The King of Thieves

Just a reminder: Lady and the Tramp comes out Tuesday!

The coupon site on DMR is up: http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/promotions/special-offers/ladyupgrade

(You'll need to enter the UPC code from the DVD: 786936284058)

Also, apparently Target is running an awesome deal where you can get another Disney movie (either Tangled, Beauty & the Beast, Dumbo, Lion King, Bambi, or Winnie the Pooh) and get $8 off at the register when you buy it with Lady and the Tramp. That's in addition to money saved from the coupon.

If this site is correct, that means you can get two Disney movies for around $30! I'm not 100% sure it works, but I still need to get Dumbo, so I'd say it's worth a shot.

How much do they usually charge for disney new releases?

The website says 30 dollars so... 30 - 5 + 20 - 8 = 37 + tax... which seems more like 40 bucks. Still not bad, but this is something I would definitely do if it was 30 bucks total.

As usual, thanks for the coupon for Lady and the Tramp. This thread has saved me a bundle not to mention always keeping informed on when movies are coming out!

Tizoc

ohhh yeah, EVERYBOOOOOODY! EVERYBOOOOODY! EVERYBOOOOOODY WANTS TO BEEE A CAT!
lol, loved that movie!

Hah that's the first thing that comes to mind whenever anyone mentions Aristocats XP.

BTW are Fantasia and Fantasia 2000 collected in on Bluray set?

When the hell is Disney gonna start releasing their classic films like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Swiss Family Robinson, and Treasure Island?

I'm doubting it, but I wonder if something like "Song of the South" will ever get released again.

I understand why this is most likely not going to happen. Merely a curiousity.

cory.

Banned
When the hell is Disney gonna start releasing their classic films like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Swiss Family Robinson, and Treasure Island?

They've released The Rocketeer and Tron. That's about it for their older live action films. I would love to see the really old stuff, I'm sure they're looking into ways to sell it.
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea will probably come out with the remake (if it ever happens), not sure about the others.
Return to Oz in 2013 to coincide with Oz: The Great and Powerful? I god damn hope so.

JdFoX187

Banned

I imagine they're trying to hold off 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea until David Fincher can get his remake off the ground. But don't know how long that's going to take.

cory.

Banned
Fall 2013 (Rumored) or worse, Aladdin could push TLM into 2014.

It is 99% locked for Fall 2013, they put it last out of their upcoming 3D rereleases because they knew it would take the most time, and they're confident it will be ready by then. And Aladdin wouldn't push it into 2014 because Aladdin won't be a Diamond unless they decide at the last minute to switch its status with 101 Dalmatians in the US.

Oozer3993

Beauty and the Beast: Diamond Edition, which one should I get? The 3D or the regular diamond edition?

3-Disc Blu Ray Combo

or

5-disc Blu Ray Combo

The 3 disc have more special features?

The 5 disc combo is just the 3 disc version plus a 3D disc and a Digital Copy disc. They both have the same special features. Unless you want the movie in 3D or really want the Digital Copy, the 3 Disc version is probably the better way to go.

I'm doubting it, but I wonder if something like "Song of the South" will ever get released again.

I understand why this is most likely not going to happen. Merely a curiousity.

Don't get your hopes up:

Bob Iger said:
I just don’t feel that it’s right for us to use company resources to make it available, whether it’s wide or whether it’s narrow… narrowly available. It’s a strong belief that I have— consulted with other top executives of the company. They all agreed, and I think, just remember it as it was, and don’t expect to see it again for… at least for awhile, if ever.

On the plus side, Disney is restoring it.

Top Bottom