• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

B.K.

I found a complete copy of Snow White today, including the slip case, at a used movie store for $25. I bought it. The price was better than used prices on Ebay or Amazon. Now I need to get the Beauty and the Beast and Fox and the Hound sets.

So are the rather high prices and lack of availability for Monsters Inc. blu-ray due to the 3D rerelease in January 2013 or are they actually throwing a Pixar movie in to the vault?

Famassu

I found a complete copy of Snow White today, including the slip case, at a used movie store for $25. I bought it. The price was better than used prices on Ebay or Amazon. Now I need to get the Beauty and the Beast and Fox and the Hound sets.
I completed my Disney blu-ray collection with a relatively cheap new copy of Sleeping Beauty (or well, at least the older releases, there are a couple of recent ones I still have to get). I was actually quite new to this Disney Vault phenomenon (hadn't really gotten into the habit of buying DVDs and the parents bought the Disney animations on VHS when I was still a child), so I didn't know they vaulted these things until it was too late. Now I know better and I get the movies in time. :)

isny

napkin dispenser
Does anyone know if Aladdin will be getting a 3D release?

Probably not. Only Pixar titles in the near future AFAIK.

So are the rather high prices and lack of availability for Monsters Inc. blu-ray due to the 3D rerelease in January 2013 or are they actually throwing a Pixar movie in to the vault?

This is logical. Great way to hype the movie and build excitement for it.

isny

napkin dispenser
What makes the UK transfers shitty?

Nothing. Just google reviews and you'll see most of the UK transfers look fine. What I didn't like about the UK releases were the subtitles, as a lot of it was translated directly and not transliterated.

Either way, we're getting three more titles here in NA in the next few months, so I just sold my UK copies and will pick up the Disney releases.

Theonik

What makes the UK transfers shitty?
They are done by a different company entirely, from the top of my head the main differences are that the picture seems less grainy in the UK release with some colour difference too. But the real turn off for me was the yellow subtitles. Screw that.

Looking for Sleeping Beauty. Now I find out it's been put back in the Vault. :(

Amazon.ca is saying I can get a new copy for around $60 via a private seller. I love the film, but that's too much money.

isny

napkin dispenser
Since I helped someone out recently with a cover scan I figured I'd try my luck and hope for good karma by asking for a couple of scans =)

I'm looking for Dumbo and the Lion King sequels. If anyone has those on Blu and has a few minutes and would be willing to scan them in for me it would be greatly appreciated =D

MrMan2k3

Since I helped someone out recently with a cover scan I figured I'd try my luck and hope for good karma by asking for a couple of scans =)

I'm looking for Dumbo and the Lion King sequels. If anyone has those on Blu and has a few minutes and would be willing to scan them in for me it would be greatly appreciated =D

I could scan in Dumbo for you. I'm also looking for scans of the Lion King sequels.

isny

napkin dispenser
I could scan in Dumbo for you. I'm also looking for scans of the Lion King sequels.

That would be amazing, thanks.

I actually think the ones I got for the Lion King sequels are alright, they're bilingual, but they look like retail covers. I'll scan em in for ya later tonight and you can be the judge.

Famassu

Looking for Sleeping Beauty. Now I find out it's been put back in the Vault. :(

Amazon.ca is saying I can get a new copy for around $60 via a private seller. I love the film, but that's too much money.
I am having this problem as well.
I bought a new, still sealed copy for little over 20 euros (that's something like for ~30$) from Play.com just last week. Don't really have a habit of buying blu-rays for that price, but for a Disney movie that's gone back to the Vault, it was incredibly tempting so I went ahead and bought it.

Heavy DNR that removes fine detail. I guess their goal was to remove the grain (why?!) but as always that just resulted in detail loss. Also, the colour timing is wrong and everything has a weird tint to it.

Basically, it sucks.
Did they do that for Nausicaa too? They better not do anything for the US release. >:\

Theonik

Damn. :\ I guess even Ghibli is afraid of reverse importation.
Ghibli does their own transfers for JP so it's simply a matter of having different people involved.

Heavy DNR that removes fine detail. I guess their goal was to remove the grain (why?!) but as always that just resulted in detail loss. Also, the colour timing is wrong and everything has a weird tint to it.

Basically, it sucks.
Yep, I touched on that on my previous post. But also Yellow subtitles!

Christopher

I think we need an update of the Disney movie list coming out this year, when they did that whole release of catalog titles I totally got lost in the shuffle from what can still remember:

Pocohantas
Tarazan
Treasure Planet
Home on the Range
Atlantis
Cinderella
The Aristrocats

Plus now there are just a mess of catalog titles, a lot to keep up with.

epmode

If you have the money, you can get a bunch of Ghibli movies on Bluray from Japan RIGHT NOW! They're Region A, have English subtitles and most of them even include the English dubs!
They're also three times the price! Or nearly that. ..as you alluded to in the post I'm quoting.

But it might be a good idea to get the Japanese release of Princess Mononoke since that won't be making it to America anytime soon.

Speaking of which, can anyone suggest a good place for Japan > USA bluray imports?

They're also three times the price! Or nearly that. ..as you alluded to in the post I'm quoting.

But it might be a good idea to get the Japanese release of Princess Mononoke since that won't be making it to America anytime soon.

Speaking of which, can anyone suggest a good place for Japan > USA bluray imports?
Ask the anime thread.

If you have the money, you can get a bunch of Ghibli movies on Bluray from Japan RIGHT NOW! They're Region A, have English subtitles and most of them even include the English dubs!

Oooo, English dubs?! I only thought they had subs. Definitely going to look into some of these now.

Does Japan have Kiki's Delivery Service or Spirited Away on Blu-ray yet? I looked on Amazon Japan and can only find the DVDs.

JdFoX187

Banned
I think we need an update of the Disney movie list coming out this year, when they did that whole release of catalog titles I totally got lost in the shuffle from what can still remember:

Pocohantas
Tarazan
Treasure Planet
Home on the Range
Atlantis
Cinderella
The Aristrocats

Plus now there are just a mess of catalog titles, a lot to keep up with.

Was wondering about this myself. The only two that have shown up on Amazon are Treasure Planet and Home on the Range.

jiggle

kinda excited about treasure planet
enjoyed it when it first came out
there are some scenes in it that should look great in HD

Christopher

May 15th, 2012: -
- Father of the Bride / Father of the Bride Part II
- Bringing Down the House

June 5th, 2012: -
The Color of Money
- Cocktail
- Ransom

June 19th, 2012: - Sister Act / Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit
- Evita

July 3rd, 2012: - Home on the Range
- The Horse Whisperer
- Phenomenon
- Step Up
- Treasure Planet
- Under the Tuscan Sun

August 7th, 2012:
- The Aristocats

Fall 2012: - Adventures in Babysitting
- Ed Wood
- Ghosts of the Abyss 3D
- Grosse Pointe Blank
- High Fidelity
- Judge Dredd
- Lady and the Tramp II: Scamp's Adventure
- Pete's Dragon
- Pocahontas / Pocahontas 2: Journey to a New World two-movie package
- The Rescuers / The Rescuers Down Under two-movie package
- Romy and Michele's High School Reunion
- The Tigger Movie

Beginning in October 2012:
- The Absent-Minded Professor
- Arachnophobia
- Atlantis: The Lost Empire
- Babes in Toyland
- Beaches
- Brother Bear
- Cinderella
- Cold Creek Manor
- Dick Tracy
- Flubber
- The Hand That Rocks the Cradle
- Hocus Pocus
- The Santa Clause Trilogy
- Son of Flubber
- Sweet Home Alabama
- While You Were Sleeping

omgkitty

Some people would rather watch the film without having to read subtitles at the bottom all the time and, given that, they'd like the best English dub possible. See, this isn't so hard to figure out.

Also, The Borrowers is an English book series, so in that way it kind of fits better.

That is true, but I just always feel like things should be seen in their original form. I think I've just hated all of Disney's dubs for the Ghibli films, but I may have to check out the UK dub.

That is true, but I just always feel like things should be seen in their original form. I think I've just hated all of Disney's dubs for the Ghibli films, but I may have to check out the UK dub.

Live-action - native language
Animation - dub

That's how I roll.

Live-action looks "off" dubbed, and some UK dubs are awful (seriously, check out Ong-Bak's Uk dub, it's hilariously bad).

Seeing how animation usually isn't any more detailed than a mouth being open or closed (most of the time they don't even animate the jaws) you can get away with a dub.

Suairyu

Banned
That is true, but I just always feel like things should be seen in their original form.
Well, the way I look at it, unless the animation was lip-synched to the actors (so Akira or Disney films, basically) there is no "original version". 9/10s out of the Japanese dub will be superior, of course, but every now and again you get a Cowboy Bebop or an Arriety.

omgkitty

Well, the way I look at it, unless the animation was lip-synched to the actors (so Akira or Disney films, basically) there is no "original version". 9/10s out of the Japanese dub will be superior, of course, but every now and again you get a Cowboy Bebop or an Arriety.

Oh yes. I love the Cowboy Bebop English dub. That show's dub is absolutely top notch. I do love the way that Jet says Spike Spiegel in Japanese though.

Top Bottom