• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Laputa, Whisper, and Arrietty are all $22.99 at Best Buy and you also get $8 off if you buy two. Each title is $29.95 on Amazon, which also has the $8 off two deal going. Best Buy is by far the better deal, and will likely be the cheapest way to get these for a while.
I wish I wasn't broke. ;_;

Suairyu

Banned
I've not seen either Arrietty or Whisper of the Heart. Love Laputa to death. Is there some reason I shouldn't buy Arrietty?
Whisper of the Heart is the second best Ghibli film ever. Get it.

Arrietty is the best Ghibli film in years. Get it.

Good on you for loving Laputa. Get it again.

Tunic

One of these days, Hercules is going to be announced for Blu-ray, one day...

Yes! Hopefully they will release The Sword in the Stone, The Jungle Book, Robin Hood, and Peter Pan on Blu-ray one day too. Those are my most wanted ones at least because I would be happy to have any and all of the Disney animation features on Blu-ray. I am sure one day they will all be released though.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Fuck that sucks. Basically it's the dumbed down American script where they assume American's don't know what some Japanese things are and change it?
Perhaps, but it's guaranteed to not really faithful due to rewrites to fit in the sync + I think Disney wants to avoid writing out Laputa at any point, subs incl.

Also dubtitles have a really annoying quirk where a background character will say something in the dub and not the JP track and the line will show up despite... not being there.

There are some new pre-orders up on Amazon.co.uk

The Muppets - 11/06/12
Pocahontas - 21/05/12
The Fox & The Hound - 21/05/12
Pinocchio - 25/06/12
The Aristocats - 25/06/12
The Lion King 2: Simbas Pride - 21/05/12
The Lion King 3; Hakuna Matata - 21/05/12

... at least, they're new to me.

pinocchio? that's been out already...

Looks like a non-anniversary/SE re-release.

810H5m3GzwL._AA1500_.jpg

NekoFever

I'm glad The Fox and the Hound is getting a solo release. I was tempted to buy the double pack from the States just to have it.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Hmm...which versions of Laputa aren't dubtitled? Are the US Blu-rays of Whisper and Arrietty also dubtitled?
HK version of Laputa has the proper subs and is a port of the JP video encode which have been traditionally superior. Also reasonably priced and has a superior cover. Can't go wrong unless you want the dub.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
HK version of Laputa has the proper subs and is a port of the JP video encode which have been traditionally superior. Also reasonably priced and has a superior cover. Can't go wrong unless you want the dub.

I see. I would prefer a version with all the languages and proper subtitles...

Do you know if the US Blu-rays of Whisper and Arrietty also dubtitled?

So I saw Porco Rosso for the first time last night.

I cannot BELIEVE how good that film is. Probably in my top Ghibli films along with Ponyo, Laputa, and Spirited away. My Neighbor Totoro of course is good too.

Miyazaki is amazing. I can't believe how consistently good he is. Honestly, the only film of his I didn't love was Howl's Moving Castle, but I still enjoyed it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Is there any kind of release schedule for the Ghibli films? These ones kind of snuck up on me.

Nope. You can kinda get a rough idea by looking at the International release dates for previous titles and then comparing them to the US dates.

Ponyo

JP - Dec. 8 09 / US - Mar. 2 10 / UK - Jun. 7 10

Nausicaa

JP - Jul. 14 10 / UK - Oct. 18 10 / US - Mar. 8 11

Laputa

JP - Dec. 22 10 / UK - May 9 11 / US - May 22 12

Yamadas

JP - Dec. 22 10 / UK - May 9 11

Arrietty

JP - Jun. 17 11 / UK - Jan. 9 12 / US - May 22 12

Whisper

JP - Jul. 20 11 / UK - Jan. 9 12 / US - May 22 12

Earthsea

JP - Nov. 16 11 / UK - Jun. 25 12

Howl

JP - Nov. 16 11 / UK - Jun. 25 12

Totoro

JP - Jul. 18 12

Graves of the Fireflies

JP - Jul. 18 12

DJ_Lae

Anyone have any weird glitches with their blu-ray of Whisper of the Heart?

I noticed mine's got a few seconds of completely garbled audio (reminds me of the sound you get from playing a data disc in an audio cd player) during the scene where Shizuku is wondering what sort of person Seiji might be and it cuts to a shot of him for a second or two.

Since I'm new to the thread, here's what I have in order of theatrical release:

-Pinocchio
-Fantasia
-Alice in Wonderland
-The Great Mouse Detective
-The Rescuers Down Under
-Beauty and the Beast
-Aladdin (best of the DAC)
-The Lion King
-The Hunchback of Notre Dame
-Mulan
-Fantasia 2000
-Bolt
-The Princess and the Frog

For Pixar, I have:

-Toy Story
-Toy Story 2
-Finding Nemo
-The Incredibles
-Cars
-Wall-E (best movie ever)
-Up
-Toy Story 3

I would like to see a re-release of Peter Pan and The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. Also looking forward to The Rescuers, and I might get Pocahontas as well.

Gav

We picked up a few more yesterday, and are now completely up to date with UK releases.
Got Lady & The Tramp, and then also got Pocahontas, Tarzan & Fox & The Hound, which were only £9.99 each at the Disney Store!

FOOTE

It's already been released and vaulted again. I believe the plan(or rumor) is to release it again as a Diamond Edition in a few years. Otherwise you can try the used markets.

Loofy

Amazon will always have a copy from third parties. You'll be paying more though around $40. Even Snow White is still available($44)

NekoFever

We picked up a few more yesterday, and are now completely up to date with UK releases.
Got Lady & The Tramp, and then also got Pocahontas, Tarzan & Fox & The Hound, which were only £9.99 each at the Disney Store!
Man, I wish there was a Disney Store near here so I could get those.

I'm tempted to wait for them to appear on Disney Movie Rewards. I've got a ton of points saved up and I need to watch the expenditure.

Top Bottom