• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

pre-ordered that + great mouse and tigger movie.

When the hell can I buy Sleeping Beauty?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013ND30W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

EDIT: Amazon has a $8 coupon for The Aristocats ,Rescuers and Pocahontas which makes them $20 each

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0084IHVC0/?tag=neogaf0e-20 ( Aristocats )
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0084IHVIY/?tag=neogaf0e-20 (Pocahontas)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0084IHVQG/?tag=neogaf0e-20 (The Rescuers:)

FOOTE

Welp. I pre-ordered loads of movies today.

Never was a fan of Finding Nemo, but at that price, I'll bite.
dXAjU.gif

isny

napkin dispenser
5 discs!? 3D, BR, DVD, digital (which honestly should be on the DVD, what a waste) and, what, a second BR?

It's a typo, it's a four disc set. (Unless there are two BD discs, one with the movie and one with the special features, which probably isn't the case)

Amazon has a bunch of titles available with the $8.00 off coupon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_s...90&rh=n:2625373011,k:disney&sort=-releasedate

Amazon also has blu ray summer releases like Adventures in Babysitting and Sister Act available for pre-order finally too!

Adventures in Babysitting
Sister Act 1+2

Lastly, they've finally announced The Avengers info for the blu ray release. (Including a ten disc set, which I may be tempted to get...)

http://www.slashfilm.com/avengers-assembled-movie-tendisc-bluray-set-confirmed/

vazel

Banned
I just ordered a boatload of Disney movies thanks to Amazon's coupons.
Never buy Disney movies off eBay. You have a really good shot at getting a bootlegged piece of shit.

Stick to the Amazon Marketplace.
That is true for DVDs, some counterfeits can be difficult to distinguish from the real deal unless you know what to look for. I've been burned trying to buy some of Disney's Platinum DVDs used before.

But I don't think there is professional counterfeiting for BDs yet. If you're going to buy a used Disney BD I'd do it now before the pirates get their game together.

DJ_Lae

I love how Amazon.ca has August 21st as the release date for the Finding Nemo blu-ray.

No coupons on the Canadian side, unfortunately. It's $40 for the 3D pack, $33 for the regular right now.

Loofy

But I don't think there is professional counterfeiting for BDs yet. If you're going to buy a used Disney BD I'd do it now before the pirates get their game together.
I saw alot of bootleg blu rays in street markets when I went to asia. Not saying thats its a problem on ebay though, I dunno.

vazel

Banned
I saw alot of bootleg blu rays in street markets when I went to asia. Not saying thats its a problem on ebay though, I dunno.
With reproductions of the official cases and disc labels?

There are pirated BDs but they're usually HD movies burned onto DVD-Rs with none of the menus or extra features. They're easy to spot. BD piracy has not yet reached the level of professionalism that DVD piracy has.

iammeiam

It's a typo, it's a four disc set. (Unless there are two BD discs, one with the movie and one with the special features, which probably isn't the case)

It is, indeed, two BluRay discs; the non-3D edition also doesn't get a digital copy, and clocks in at three discs. The full rundown of versions announced:
The home entertainment release of “Finding Nemo” will be available this holiday season as follows:
· 5-Disc Blu-ray 3D Ultimate Collector’s Edition (2 Blu-ray 2D + 1 Blu-ray 3D + 1 DVD + 1 Digital Copy) = Suggested Retail Price: $49.99 U.S./$56.99 Canada
· 3-Disc Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack (2 Blu-ray 2D + 1 DVD) = Suggested Retail Price: $39.99 U.S./$46.99 Canada
· 3D Digital = Suggested Retail Price: $25.00 U.S.
· High-Definition Digital = Suggested Retail Price: $19.50 U.S.

(from here)

18-Volt

Preordered all of them including The Avengers and Tigger Movie.

Too bad there are still no preorders for 101 Dalmatians, Tarzan, Brother Bear, Atlantis and Pete's Dragon. I don't wanna buy the French version of 101 Dalmatians with no slipcover.

JdFoX187

Banned
Went ahead and preordered Aristocats, Pocahontas, Rescuers and Great Mouse Detective. I imagine they'll drop the prices on those down to $24.99, or perhaps a little lower, before they ship. Will be nice to collect a bunch of movies for probably $15-18 each.

JdFoX187

Banned
The Fox and the Hound seems to be the low point. If Tarzan's transfer is on that level, it will be a little disappointing, but nothing major. Fox and the Hound is decent, just not up to the standard of the Diamond issues. Any word on an ETA for Tarzan stateside? I've given up hope on Hercules and The Jungle Book.

Christopher

I'm starting to trade/rebuy all the ones with Digital Copies...the prospect of having them forever on iCloud and with Apple TV/iPhone/iPad sync is awesome. So essentially I gotta rebuy the Toy Story's, Bolt, Pirates in 3D I hope they have a deal soon.

Leeness

Nooooooo. Has anyone else had any issues with their Whisper of the Heart blu-rays? Mine froze in the last two minutes... :(

Jeez, I hope Best Buy will let me exchange... I don't have the receipt, but have a record of my reward points...thing.

DJ_Lae

Nooooooo. Has anyone else had any issues with their Whisper of the Heart blu-rays? Mine froze in the last two minutes... :(

Jeez, I hope Best Buy will let me exchange... I don't have the receipt, but have a record of my reward points...thing.

Mine has no freezing issues but I get garbled audio at a couple of points during the movie. It's kind of annoying.

Nice of them to completely abandon the cover style they had going for the Pixar releases with Finding Nemo. Awesome. (Though it looks like they did it wist Cars 2 as well, I just assumed they didn't do it for that movie since it was new).

Fucking hell, these collections are a visual disaster. Blue, gold, or silver covers for the Disney movies, and some full-artwork / some half-art-half-logo covers for the Pixar films. C'mon.

^^ Thank God those were ugly as fuck.

Disney always sucks with covers, though.
Tons of logos/ads and unholy borders everywhere.

I need to buy all of Pixars' movies on BR.
Guess I'll join that club when Nemo comes out.

^^ Thank God those were ugly as fuck.

Disney always sucks with covers, though.
Tons of logos/ads and unholy borders everywhere.

I need to buy all of Pixars' movies on BR.
Guess I'll join that club when Nemo comes out.

They were ugly as fuck, but there are several of them that were ONLY released like that (Toy Story 1 & 2, Monsters Inc and Incredibles) and all the other, old, normal covered releases (Up, Ratatouille, WALL-E, Cars, Bug's Life) have been discontinued and replaced with the new ones.

So when Finding Nemo hits, the only Pixar Blu-Rays with normal covers will be Cars 2, Toy Story 3, and Finding Nemo. All their other movies will have those awful half-and-half covers

As it is, my collection is completely fucked up. TS1+2 new covers, old Bug's Life, new Monster's Inc, new Incredibles, new Cars, old Up, old TS3. Still need to get Ratatouille and WALL-E, but good luck to me finding them with the old covers, or do I want the new covers for uniformity? But their new releases aren't using the new covers? I could replace my old cover releases with the new cover, so everything up to TS3 will be uniform, except that Finding Nemo doesn't go with that look at all?

UGH.

Llyranor

Yes! Finding Nemo! My favorite Pixar movie (I think? It's been so long)

Mine froze at the final scene after the dialogue finished. Like, 2 secs before the credits roll. I watched the rest on DVD to confirm.

Hex

Banned
Has Little Mermaid been released on Blu yet?

I have Pinocchio , Sleeping Beauty, Ponyo, and Snow White so far.
Really need to grab Beauty and the Beast off of Amazon before it gets harder to find.

Tunic

Has Little Mermaid been released on Blu yet?

I have Pinocchio , Sleeping Beauty, Ponyo, and Snow White so far.
Really need to grab Beauty and the Beast off of Amazon before it gets harder to find.

Unfortunately The Little Mermaid hasn't been released to Disney Blu-ray yet. They haven't set a release date either. I am keeping my fingers crossed it will be next year.

isny

napkin dispenser
For you Canadians, Amazon.ca just added an $8.00 coupon for all of the upcoming titles for this year. I just cancelled my Amazon.com orders and re-ordered from .ca =D

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Unfortunately The Little Mermaid hasn't been released to Disney Blu-ray yet. They haven't set a release date either. I am keeping my fingers crossed it will be next year.

I heard rumor that TLM Blu Rat will be release next year. Around Oct 2013. (Diamond Edition)

Hi, just subscribed to this thread and recently picked up half a dozen of the blu ray's that were on offer with zavvi in the uk:

Sleeping Beauty Platinum
Dumbo 70th
Alice in Wonderland 60th
Beauty and the Beast
Toy Story 1-3
Lion King 1-3

On top of a Pirates of the Carribean set I got earlier in the year, I should have a total of 2100 points.

If I claim a blu ray reward back from Disney - will I get another 150 points from that disc?

Seems unlikely - but stranger things have happened at sea.

Theonik

I've been reading a lot of bad things about the Fox and the Hound, Tarzan and Pocahontas transfers. Are they true?
Really disappointing if so seeing as I was looking forward to all 3. Some shots I've seen look OK but I'm interested in how bad it actually is when viewing them.

vazel

Banned
I've been reading a lot of bad things about the Fox and the Hound, Tarzan and Pocahontas transfers. Are they true?
Really disappointing if so seeing as I was looking forward to all 3. Some shots I've seen look OK but I'm interested in how bad it actually is when viewing them.
Tarzan and Pocahontas were produced digitally so they should look good.

Fox and the Hound didn't receive the careful restoration job that Disney gave their other classic titles. It has heavy grain, the title could've used the fine tuned DNR they gave their other classic titles. There are compositing issues between the foreground cels and the backgrounds that Disney did not fix for the BD. It was a quick and dirty transfer. This makes me worried about other dark age Disney movies like The Great Mouse Detective.

Suairyu

Banned
We can guarrantee they'll be given full restoration jobs eventually in some [classy item] edition. It's just they want to be able to sell more than 2 films a year.

Theonik

Tarzan and Pocahontas were produced digitally so they should look good.

Fox and the Hound didn't receive the careful restoration job that Disney gave their other classic titles. It has heavy grain, the title could've used the fine tuned DNR they gave their other classic titles. There are compositing issues between the foreground cels and the backgrounds that Disney did not fix for the BD. It was a quick and dirty transfer. This makes me worried about other dark age Disney movies like The Great Mouse Detective.
With Fox and the Hound I was most worried about claims from bluray.com about it having lines across the screen coming and going presumably due to a fold or a scratch, I don't really mind grain that much so I could probably live with that, black levels and gamma seem to be all over the place too. Pocahontas and Tarzan on the other hand being digital should not have the former issue but I've heard the later issue being reported. In this thread I think it was. Makes me weary about what will happen with the Rescuers and the Aristocats. :/

On a more positive note, my copy of Sleeping Beauty was delivered today and that looks superb. Save for a few silly sequels I think I'm only missing Pinocchio, Dumbo and Snow White from the currently released movies. (and of course save for the 3 before mentioned releases)

duckroll

Being produced digitally is not a good benchmark of whether a BD transfer will look good. The opposite can actually be true, especially for full digital productions early in the digital generation. What you end up with at a lot of assets and components where the flaws are a lot more obvious when presented with more clarity - an indication of how much digital effects and CG components have aged since then. Well restored film based classics from Disney still look way better than Beauty and the Beast for this reason!

Theonik

Being produced digitally is not a good benchmark of whether a BD transfer will look good. The opposite can actually be true, especially for full digital productions early in the digital generation. What you end up with at a lot of assets and components where the flaws are a lot more obvious when presented with more clarity - an indication of how much digital effects and CG components have aged since then. Well restored film based classics from Disney still look way better than Beauty and the Beast for this reason!
Can't have folds on the film if there is no film to fold! I don't disagree though, being produced digitally does remove the risk of the source being damaged over time however, as seems to be the case with the Fox and the Hound restoration allegedly. As for Beauty and the Beast it looks fine save for the CG in the ballroom scene.

Top Bottom