• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

vazel

Banned
The only digital animation I've seen look bad are the ones animated in Flash.

CG models inserted into hand drawn animation doesn't look good most of the time. But that's a production technique and not a fault of being animated digitally(Black Cauldron had CG despite being animated on film).

Leeness

Wow I'm so disappointed. Finally checked my replacement copy of Whisper of the Heart blu ray... It freezes in the same spot at the end. I guess I'm returning this one too. And probably not buying another... 2 for 2 is not very good odds. :( So sad, I love the movie.

b3b0p

I really only want on Blu-ray:

Hercules
Emperor's New Groove
Lilo and Stitch
Duck Tales: The Movie
The Little Mermaid

Theonik

I wish blue-ray was region free :( I want this so bad! I love these movies.
Blu-Ray is selectively region locked and the majority of those releases especially recent ones are region free, so in all likelyhood this will be too. Don't trust amazon for that since they are often wrong or referring to the DVD. I'd wait till August when reviews can verify if it's region-free or not.

Blu-Ray is selectively region locked and the majority of those releases especially recent ones are region free, so in all likelyhood this will be too. Don't trust amazon for that since they are often wrong or referring to the DVD. I'd wait till August when reviews can verify if it's region-free or not.
Thanks for that, oops typo :O

arumisan

Finally started to collect the Disney Blu-ray stuff. Bought Tangled (one of my favourites) and Alice in Wonderland (because it was cheap). Now hunting down a copy of Sleeping Beauty because the screenshots from a couple of pages back were majestic!

Collecting the ones I want is going to take a while though since Aussie prices for Disney distributed stuff tend to be expensive >.>

Theonik

Just ordered Lady and the Tramp and Fantasia/2000 from amazon. Already had Fantasia but the price was quite low and I sorta wanted to own Fantasia 2000. Plus, my OCD wanted me to buy a UK version of Fantasia so that my spines (film number included) matched. I need help :(

Wow I'm so disappointed. Finally checked my replacement copy of Whisper of the Heart blu ray... It freezes in the same spot at the end. I guess I'm returning this one too. And probably not buying another... 2 for 2 is not very good odds. :( So sad, I love the movie.
Did you try cleaning your Blu-ray player's lens?
Being produced digitally is not a good benchmark of whether a BD transfer will look good. The opposite can actually be true, especially for full digital productions early in the digital generation. What you end up with at a lot of assets and components where the flaws are a lot more obvious when presented with more clarity - an indication of how much digital effects and CG components have aged since then. Well restored film based classics from Disney still look way better than Beauty and the Beast for this reason!
I wonder if that is partially why we haven't seen Blu-ray releases of Dreamworks Animation's 2D productions.

Leeness

Did you try cleaning your Blu-ray player's lens?

It's a PS3. So I'm not sure how to clean it... But it was the exact same hitch as the last one, so... :/

But Best Buy didn't give me any trouble and let me return it and get Treasure Planet. So that was nice. Maybe I'll try Whisper of the Heart from some place else sometime... Maybe it was a bad shipment or something, I dunno :(

It's a PS3. So I'm not sure how to clean it... But it was the exact same hitch as the last one, so... :/

But Best Buy didn't give me any trouble and let me return it and get Treasure Planet. So that was nice. Maybe I'll try Whisper of the Heart from some place else sometime... Maybe it was a bad shipment or something, I dunno :(
You use something like this. I have that one and it seems to work. Could be a manufacturing issue with the discs though.

Oh shit Home on the Range is out? I actually get enjoyment from that so I'll likely end up buying it.

Never really cared for Treasure Planet (only saw it once, though) but the completionist OCD fuck inside me will probably force me to get it too.

Theonik

Just reminding everyone,

Home on the Range and Treasure Planet just got released today if anyone care.
I'll have to be patient for Treasure Planet and Atlantis to make it to PAL land. Hopefully it won't be long. Those are all I'm really interested on from that batch.

Christopher

Didn't buy home on the range, not here for that tbh. One of the only Disney Animated films outside of Chicken Little I didn't buy.

Even though their releasing an ocean of things this year I feel like the quality is going to be suffered somehow if it isn't in the diamond line.

Tunic

Did anyone order the Mystery DVD from DMR? I received notification today that it has been shipped. I am interested to see what people receive or if we will all just receive the same DVD.

isny

napkin dispenser
Did anyone order the Mystery DVD from DMR? I received notification today that it has been shipped. I am interested to see what people receive or if we will all just receive the same DVD.

I obviously did =)

Mine shipped Monday, so hoping to have it early next week =D

FOOTE

I thought about it and probably should have, but I didn't pull the trigger. :/

I've been in a Disney mood lately, since I went to Disney World a few weeks ago. The Emperor's New Groove and Lilo & Stich won't be out on Blu-ray until 2015? Fuck you, Disney. >:| At least Mulan should be out next year.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I've been in a Disney mood lately, since I went to Disney World a few weeks ago. The Emperor's New Groove and Lilo & Stich won't be out on Blu-ray until 2015? Fuck you, Disney. >:| At least Mulan should be out next year.

L&S better come in a special edition with Stitch's mouth as the disc-sleeve then.

Soodanim

I was not aware of the Disney Vault. That said, I'm only interested in three Disney blu-rays - Lion King, Aladdin, and Jungle Book. One I have, and the other two aren't out yet. If I ever have kids, they will just watch those three. And they will be happy with them.

NekoFever

Goddammit. They added some of the recent releases to the UK Disney Movie Rewards site (Lady and the Tramp, Tarzan, Pocahontas, Fox and the Hound) for 750 points each. My balance? 730.

vazel

Banned
Deepdiscount.com has the Brave blu up for $13.99 for the regular, and $19.99 for the 3D combo. They posted on their facebook that this is not a pricing error either.

I went ahead and placed an order, and also placed one at Amazon, in case theirs drops lower than $20.
The 3D version is a good deal even if you don't want 3D. You can easily make $10-15 by selling the 3D disc on eBay. You'd be able to keep the rest of the discs and case.

XShagrath

The 3D version is a good deal even if you don't want 3D. You can easily make $10-15 by selling the 3D disc on eBay. You'd be able to keep the rest of the discs and case.
Also, picking up the 3D version is the only real way to get any decent extras anymore, which is unfortunate.

jmdajr

So I found my old Black Cauldron DVD. I hadn't even realized it was a letterbox release.
Now I got black bars on all sides! Yikes.... Guess I didn't think much of it when I still had my 4:3 tube.

I see they have recently released a 16:9 DVD.
Seems a Blu-Ray release is still in limbo.

isny

napkin dispenser
Stitch Speaker for 700 points is this weeks Monday deal through Disney Movie Rewards.

http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/rewards/stitchspeaker-6462?cmp=dmov_dmr_fbk_weekly_stitch

stitchspeakerprimary1333650992641.jpg

Tunic

A couple of DMR things:

Looks like Ducktales: Treasure of the Lost Lamp is back up for redemption for 550 points. Also there was a word scramble on the Brave Facebook page, the code is Macintosh which yields 10 points.

FOOTE

A couple of DMR things:

Looks like Ducktales: Treasure of the Lost Lamp is back up for redemption for 550 points. Also there was a word scramble on the Brave Facebook page, the code is Macintosh which yields 10 points.
Thanks for the heads up. Picked up the Ducktales DVD and redeemed the code.

isny

napkin dispenser
Finally!

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-muppet-christmas-carol-prep-landing-bluray-november-21519/

Prior to any official announcement, Walt Disney Studios has announced intentions to bring the Muppet holiday classic, Muppet Christmas Carol, to Disney Blu-ray on November 6, 2012 as a 20th anniversary edition featuring all new bonus features.

Bonus features are set to include:

Disney Intermission: Press “Pause” and see what happens when the Muppets Show up at your door to sing your Christmas Carols – Muppet Style!
Muppet Audio Commentary: All New Audio Commentary from your favorite Muppets – Kermit, Gonzo, Rizzo, and More!
Muppet Holiday Sing-Along
Blooper Reel
Frogs, Pigs, and Humbug: A Behind the Scenes Look
Christmas Around the World with Gonzo and Rizzo
Audio Commentary from Brian Henson
Pepe’s Profiles Presents: Gonzo, Portrait of the Artist as a Young Weirdo

For the last couple months, I can't sign in to the DMR site at all.

Tried in Safari, Firefox and Chrome (on Mac) and in all three browsers the 'sign in' button does nothing. Doesn't even register a click. Hitting enter after populating the fields doesn't do anything either.

Anyone else have this happen?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Finally!

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-muppet-christmas-carol-prep-landing-bluray-november-21519/

Prior to any official announcement, Walt Disney Studios has announced intentions to bring the Muppet holiday classic, Muppet Christmas Carol, to Disney Blu-ray on November 6, 2012 as a 20th anniversary edition featuring all new bonus features.

Bonus features are set to include:

Disney Intermission: Press “Pause” and see what happens when the Muppets Show up at your door to sing your Christmas Carols – Muppet Style!
Muppet Audio Commentary: All New Audio Commentary from your favorite Muppets – Kermit, Gonzo, Rizzo, and More!
Muppet Holiday Sing-Along
Blooper Reel
Frogs, Pigs, and Humbug: A Behind the Scenes Look
Christmas Around the World with Gonzo and Rizzo
Audio Commentary from Brian Henson
Pepe’s Profiles Presents: Gonzo, Portrait of the Artist as a Young Weirdo

YES. Day one.

Top Bottom