• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

BearChair

Has Disney ever released their non-animated films on Blu-Ray?

Movies like Herbie, or any of the Haley Mills Disney films.

I remember it took years for the non-animated catalog to hit dvd as well.

Guess Disney feels these films are not as essential?

Hocus Pocus was just released on blu ray at the beginning of September.

Pocahontas is artistically the pinnacle of Disney Animation Studios use of CAPS software, and also Alan Menken's (IMO) best, and (pretty much factually) most complex score.

Unfortunately, it suffers from terrible characters and character development, and a half-hearted love story that was caused by the excision of the Pocahontas-John Smith love theme "If I Never Knew You", which the directors later described as "Removing the heart from the movie". Luckily, the DVD release saw the scene included again, making it a much better film (ALMOST as great as pre-Lion King).

But then with the shit-job that Disney did with the Pocahontas Blu-ray release (outside most of the A/V), the scene was excised once again, and only available as a low quality deleted scene.

Mulan was really enjoyable, too, and I will be buying it on Blu-ray.

Okay. But which post-Lion King from 1995 to present (excluding Pixar) will be given a second lease and become considered a classic? Fantasia was a box office failure, but has since achieved Citizen Cane status in the decades since. There are those classics like Snow White and Bambi in the minds of movie goers and cultural critics, and then there are those that seem to inhabit a notch below elite status like Rescuers and Robin Hood. I know they're immensely popular to Disney fans, but you never seem to hear of those films whenever writers list off the names of popular classics.

With Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, they both seemed to be given that elite status right out the gate. Beginning with Pocahontas, a tide seemed to turn against the house of mouse. And with the release of Toy Stoy later that year, it began a new trend in animation that gave way to this attitude that traditional hand drawn animation was no longer worth any effort at all.

I know that Disney released features on a yearly basis for the rest of the 1990's, but afterwards they seemed to toy more with the idea of going computer animation with Dinosaur and others. Emperor's New Cloths and Atlantis by comparison almost seemed like an afterthought, even when they were released in theaters. I never got that feeling that Atlantis was the type of film worth seeing even though I was an adult the way Lion King was.

Of all the traditional animated Disney films post Lion King, which do you suppose will push through that glass ceiling of perceived mediocrity? You liked Mulan, but does it have alot else going for it like Fantasia did?

Iron Giant will probably gain classic status in the next 15 or so years. But will it be on its merits alone, or because it stood out for its hand drawn techniques at a time when the industry was in a transition period?

I feel as though Hunchback has been gaining recognition lately, though it wasn't very well-received when it was released and it does have a VERY OBVIOUS flaw.

Memles

I'd argue Hercules is the most consistent of that era of films, although it lacks the sense of "importance" that would be necessary for something to be designated a retroactive classic.

That said, I'd argue the film with the greatest potential to be mined in terms of being rediscovered is Emperor's New Groove. While it certainly lacks the "importance" factor, it's a hell of a thrill ride of a movie, embracing comedy while excising even the auspices of traditional Disney classics. Pair it with The Sweatbox, the documentary about its transition from Kingdom of the Sun, and you've got a comedy romp a new generation of viewers can enjoy, and a story for older viewers to consider regarding Disney's history.

That won't happen, I don't think, but it's certainly my "favorite" post-Lion King film.

I think I remember reading a headline in 1999 that Disney was slowly dismantling its hand drawn animation studios, but then had reneged on the move. But all of their had drawn efforts are never given serious consideration these days. Frog Princess got alot of good reviews, but again was treated as an afterthought. They've almost become to animation what the black and white flicks were once studios began to use color in motion pictures. Does anyone ever see a full out abandonment of handdrawn animation techniques by Disney in their motion pictures at some point in the future or do you see a renewed renaissance around the corner? Maybe its time to begin mining for 20th century material? If Peter Jackson had not done the LOTR's trilogy, I think now would be about the right time to adapt an animated Disney version of The Hobbit. Not saying that it would be great, but it seems that Disney has exhausted itself of all the pre 20th century fables. Where the Wild Things Are would also be a potential property to mine, or Cat in the Hat. Wizard of Oz too, if the motion picture had never been done.

Suairyu

Banned
Princess And The Frog was a very good B+ film for the animated studios; a good foundation to build further films upon. Shame how things work out...

I'd argue Hercules is the most consistent of that era of films, although it lacks the sense of "importance" that would be necessary for something to be designated a retroactive classic.

That said, I'd argue the film with the greatest potential to be mined in terms of being rediscovered is Emperor's New Groove. While it certainly lacks the "importance" factor, it's a hell of a thrill ride of a movie, embracing comedy while excising even the auspices of traditional Disney classics. Pair it with The Sweatbox, the documentary about its transition from Kingdom of the Sun, and you've got a comedy romp a new generation of viewers can enjoy, and a story for older viewers to consider regarding Disney's history.

That won't happen, I don't think, but it's certainly my "favorite" post-Lion King film.
Hercules is fantastic, and demonstrates Disney's tendency to match their artstyle to the culture they were portraying. Love that square-ish art.

Never got the love for Emperor's New Groove, I'm afraid. At the time, it just seemed an attempt by Disney to talk to those crazy kids with their new trends and it kind of fell flat on its face for me. I was 13, though, so I might have just disliked Disney back then.

I feel as though Hunchback has been gaining recognition lately, though it wasn't very well-received when it was released and it does have a VERY OBVIOUS flaw.
The problem with Hunchback is that it's Disney's most adult film, to the point that children just plain won't understand what is going on. A religious fundamentalist, who has always justified his evil by believing he was pious, discovering he lusts for a heathen gypsy girl and the conflict that arises within him because of it? Yeah, I didn't understand that shit as a kid and it took me until a rewatch at age 19 to finally grasp why the film was amazing.

So, you know, slap some comic-relief talking gargoyles into it so the kids can love it!!!

is the muppets good? I've wanted lion king on blu ray for the longest time but I have a lot of the others in the buy one get one free deal.

it's between the muppets, cars or a bugs life.

FOOTE

So all of you are going to pre-order Peter Pan early and/or take advantage of whatever coupons come out on amazon/other retailers so you aren't kicking yourself later, right?

The pre-order is not up yet on amazon, but you need to order it early to make sure you get the best price if there is even a chance that you might want it when it releases..

cantona222

Princess And The Frog was a very good B+ film for the animated studios; a good foundation to build further films upon. Shame how things work out...

Tangled is also a good hand drawn animated movie. I'm surprised that it has not been mentioned in the discussion.

Tangled is also a good hand drawn animated movie.

...?

936full-tangled-screenshot.jpg

isny

napkin dispenser
LoL
I don't know why I thought Tangled was hand drawn :p Maybe because I know for a fact that it wasn't made by Pixar. I know that is not a good enough excuse anyway :p

Pooh and Princess and the Frog were the last two hand drawn features from Disney =)

Suairyu

Banned
I never saw Pooh. Was it good?

LoL
I don't know why I thought Tangled was hand drawn :p Maybe because I know for a fact that it wasn't made by Pixar. I know that is not a good enough excuse anyway :p
I mean, it's a gorgeous film and despite it's Disney-Channel pop-rock songs, I think it's a solid A-.

I never saw Pooh. Was it good?

It was fantastic as long as you remember that you're watching a Winnie the Pooh movie. It got all the characters right and the stories they used were good and the songs were entertaining (ESPECIALLY the Backson song, which is my favorite part of the whole movie OMG). As Isny said it's a little short for a feature, but I really enjoyed it. Winnie the Pooh is just such a simple, fun, sweet world to visit every now and then.

When are they releasing the original on BluRay? Ever? I expected it to come out to promote the new movie, actually.

vazel

Banned
Winnie the Pooh was great. I was amazed at how enthralled and amused I was by something so simple. I'll grab The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh when it arrives on BD too.

Suairyu

Banned
Oh thank fuck they're going back to classy covers. Years of this "slap all characters on the front" bullshit has been tough.

Remember this thing of beauty?

0000070847.jpg

Looked even better on the inside.

b3b0p

Tangled
The Goofy Movie
Hercules
The Emperor's New Groove
Lilo & Stitch
Aladdin
The Little Mermaid

Are Disney's best animated movies ever created in that order. I can watch them 100x over and not tire of them. Actually, I probably have.

I want Duck Tales the Movie on Blu-ray still.

Edit: Forgot the Goofy Movie.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's really a shame the treatment Goofy gets. No Goof Troop dvd, no Goofy Movie bluray, no 'special' Extremely Goofy Movie bluray...

But the worst crime of all of them, there is no Goofy's World of Sports bluray. The Goofy 'How To Play' shorts are some of the best things ever produced from Disney, and they would look so good in high definition. I really hate that Disney is so picky about releasing their shorts, which ones, and how. At least with Aladdin, I know it'll come eventually. I don't know that with Clock Cleaners or Soccermania.

isny

napkin dispenser
It's really a shame the treatment Goofy gets. No Goof Troop dvd, no Goofy Movie bluray, no 'special' Extremely Goofy Movie bluray...

But the worst crime of all of them, there is no Goofy's World of Sports bluray. The Goofy 'How To Play' shorts are some of the best things ever produced from Disney, and they would look so good in high definition. I really hate that Disney is so picky about releasing their shorts, which ones, and how. At least with Aladdin, I know it'll come eventually. I don't know that with Clock Cleaners or Soccermania.

Goofy isn't very PC so they keep him out of the limelight.

Leeness

On the subject of things not getting DVDs/blurays...

Does anyone know why New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh never got a DVD set? That was one of my absolute favourite shows as a kid and I want it on DVD so badly. :(

Goofy never set off my gaydar even at a young age. I never looked at him as a domesticated character either. He was mainly sketch comedy, just like Daffy Duck and Bugs Bunny. Besides, Mickey Mouse was the one with the falsetto. Dim maybe, but hardly what I would consider effeminate.

Okay. But which post-Lion King from 1995 to present (excluding Pixar) will be given a second lease and become considered a classic? Fantasia was a box office failure, but has since achieved Citizen Cane status in the decades since. There are those classics like Snow White and Bambi in the minds of movie goers and cultural critics, and then there are those that seem to inhabit a notch below elite status like Rescuers and Robin Hood. I know they're immensely popular to Disney fans, but you never seem to hear of those films whenever writers list off the names of popular classics.

With Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, they both seemed to be given that elite status right out the gate. Beginning with Pocahontas, a tide seemed to turn against the house of mouse. And with the release of Toy Stoy later that year, it began a new trend in animation that gave way to this attitude that traditional hand drawn animation was no longer worth any effort at all.

I know that Disney released features on a yearly basis for the rest of the 1990's, but afterwards they seemed to toy more with the idea of going computer animation with Dinosaur and others. Emperor's New Cloths and Atlantis by comparison almost seemed like an afterthought, even when they were released in theaters. I never got that feeling that Atlantis was the type of film worth seeing even though I was an adult the way Lion King was.

Of all the traditional animated Disney films post Lion King, which do you suppose will push through that glass ceiling of perceived mediocrity? You liked Mulan, but does it have alot else going for it like Fantasia did?

Iron Giant will probably gain classic status in the next 15 or so years. But will it be on its merits alone, or because it stood out for its hand drawn techniques at a time when the industry was in a transition period?

I'm not entirely sure if it's nostalgia or being jaded, but I feel everything post-Lion King up to Emperor's New Groove was getting progressively worse. They mostly didn't have that charm that the New Renaissance had. Even a few monves post-ENG were pretty boring/bad, like Home on the Range.

I think a lot of it came from the director or what they wanted to accomplish with the movie. ENG worked because it shucked the traditional Disney film formula and went with a straight comedy. While HotR was just derivative family animated movie schlock.

Also, I will forever hate Iron Giant beacause Cartoon Network used to run that movie for 48 hours straight on the Fourth of July for a few years.

Dude all those Goofy how-to cartoons are out on DVD in the Disney Treasures sets. So are gems like Clock Cleaners and Ghost Hunters and all those outstanding classics. I don't know if they'll ever give them a blu-ray release, but a lot of those sets are still available even after they've all been discontinued. (still SO FUCKING PISSED that I have the first 3 Donald sets But the 4th set was only out for like three months with an insanely small run so I missed it, GOD DAMN IT)

As for the other stuff, I'm sure at some point Goofy Movie will get a blu-ray release, probably a 2-pack with EGM. But Goof Troop DID get DVD sets, I think at least two. So did Quack Pack. You wanna know sad? No Bonkers or Wuzzles sets. Quack Pack, but no Wuzzles? Wuzzles STARTED Disney Afternoon and AFAIK they're still HUGE in Japan. Sad? Rescue Rangers and Duck Tales, possibly Darkwing and Tale Spin still need their last DVD sets released but they likely never will. At least ALL of the Goofy shorts are/were available on DVD, unlike their other amazing cartoons.

vazel

Banned
Dude all those Goofy how-to cartoons are out on DVD in the Disney Treasures sets. So are gems like Clock Cleaners and Ghost Hunters and all those outstanding classics. I don't know if they'll ever give them a blu-ray release, but a lot of those sets are still available even after they've all been discontinued. (still SO FUCKING PISSED that I have the first 3 Donald sets But the 4th set was only out for like three months with an insanely small run so I missed it, GOD DAMN IT)

As for the other stuff, I'm sure at some point Goofy Movie will get a blu-ray release, probably a 2-pack with EGM. But Goof Troop DID get DVD sets, I think at least two. So did Quack Pack. You wanna know sad? No Bonkers or Wuzzles sets. Quack Pack, but no Wuzzles? Wuzzles STARTED Disney Afternoon and AFAIK they're still HUGE in Japan. Sad? Rescue Rangers and Duck Tales, possibly Darkwing and Tale Spin still need their last DVD sets released but they likely never will. At least ALL of the Goofy shorts are/were available on DVD, unlike their other amazing cartoons.
Which are out of print and go for several times their original price on eBay. They are really nice transfers though. I'm happy I was able to snag Goofy Treasures while I could.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Complete Goofy is over 100 dollars for the Disney Treasures. That is not a viable option for anyone.

Also, can't wait for this. I missed Toy Story during the Muppets, and the assholes didn't put it on the blu ray.
umxV2.jpg

Guys I know Goofy Treasures is out of print. That wasn't the point. He was crying injustice that it wasn't available on BluRay, but unlike things like Wuzzles and Bonkers and the last sets of other Disney Afternoon shows that will never be released, the Goofy shorts DID get releases.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Guys I know Goofy Treasures is out of print. That wasn't the point. He was crying injustice that it wasn't available on BluRay, but unlike things like Wuzzles and Bonkers and the last sets of other Disney Afternoon shows that will never be released, the Goofy shorts DID get releases.

Thats right. I was crying about it

Christopher

Jesus christ. AGAIN

So much money being spent ;_;

I can only find the gold one - is that titanium / onyx one better or worse?

Blu: Blu Ray style Case, includes Blu Ray and DVD

Gold: Blu Ray style Case, includes Blu Ray and DVD and Digital Copy

Diamond: DVD style Case, includes Blu Ray and DVD

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also, Goofy's far more iconic. Goofy still shows up on Playhouse Disney, Disney Land, on lunch boxes, etc. You could sell a pack of goofy shorts to parents and their kids. You could only sell Bonkers and Wuzzles to parents

Wal-Mart's gift with Cinderella blu-rays is a tin coin bank based on her carriage. I figure I'd add that if anyone's got a daughter or someone interested in that. They had the jewelry box as well for 55.

vazel

Banned
Cinderella has the usual gorgeous animation of Golden Age Disney but as a movie I found it to be dull. The movie has a claustrophobic feel to it due to how most of the movie takes place in the home. And for someone that's supposedly tormented she's sure cheery; the happy ending(which is wrapped up too fast) isn't as satisfying for this reason.

Even my sister commented on how the movie seemed better when she was a kid. I'd trade the movie in to Amazon but I can only get .10c for it haha. I'm going to see if the extra features can redeem the disc for me.

Also, this has the worst Second Screen feature so far. I'm usually a fan of these as you can catch more glimpses of behind the scenes material but it's a complete waste of time here. All you get are little animations and mini-games with no purpose and that never end. Very lame Disney.

Top Bottom