• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

omgkitty

Cinderella has the usual gorgeous animation of Golden Age Disney but as a movie I found it to be dull. The movie has a claustrophobic feel to it due to how most of the movie takes place in the home. And for someone that's supposedly tormented she's sure cheery; the happy ending(which is wrapped up too fast) isn't as satisfying for this reason.

Even my sister commented on how the movie seemed better when she was a kid. I'd trade the movie in to Amazon but I can only get .10c for it haha. I'm going to see if the extra features can redeem the disc for me.

Also, this has the worst Second Screen feature so far. I'm usually a fan of these as you can catch more glimpses of behind the scenes material but it's a complete waste of time here. All you get are little animations and mini-games with no purpose and that never end. Very lame Disney.

I'm sure someone here would buy it from you for a decent price.

Also, Goofy's far more iconic. Goofy still shows up on Playhouse Disney, Disney Land, on lunch boxes, etc. You could sell a pack of goofy shorts to parents and their kids. You could only sell Bonkers and Wuzzles to parents
This is a line of thinking that I really hate - and it's not just you, it's top people within Disney that share it too.

There's a stigma about the Disney Afternoon stuff at Disney TVA, where they think "Nobody cares about these franchises because nobody knows who they are, so we can't sell it to kids, so fuck it." But that's a subject for its own thread, and I'm not really at liberty to talk too much about it because I don't want to get anyone in trouble.

But, the Goofy cartoons you're talking about aren't something kids care about either. Just like the Disney Afternoon stuff, only us adults remember or care about the classic Mickey/Donald/Goofy cartoons. Kids weren't the ones buying those Treasure sets, they weren't begging their parents to buy them. They want Playhouse Disney Goofy, not awesome Classic Goofy.

Anyway, sorry, I don't mean to derail or get all bitchy, the DA stuff is a super sore spot for me. In fact how Disney treats ALL of their classic characters and franchises really, really pisses me off. I would LOVE BluRay sets of their classics, rerelease the Treasures line on BluRay at some exorborent price, hell a Best Of with just the most popular shorts, I know I'd buy them. But Disney would never do that, it's not cost effective, there's not enough public interest or some shit.

:mad:

On the plus side, Cinderella is out for delivery, wheee

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This is a line of thinking that I really hate - and it's not just you, it's top people within Disney that share it too.

There's a stigma about the Disney Afternoon stuff at Disney TVA, where they think "Nobody cares about these franchises because nobody knows who they are, so we can't sell it to kids, so fuck it." But that's a subject for its own thread, and I'm not really at liberty to talk too much about it because I don't want to get anyone in trouble.

And yet they can impose Duffy, which have absolutely no brand awareness because they were created just to sell merch. And Duffy is EVERYWHERE. That's so frustrating.

Cinderella has the usual gorgeous animation of Golden Age Disney but as a movie I found it to be dull. The movie has a claustrophobic feel to it due to how most of the movie takes place in the home. And for someone that's supposedly tormented she's sure cheery; the happy ending(which is wrapped up too fast) isn't as satisfying for this reason.

I've never thought about things this way before but I think you make a really good point. The movie does come off as a little insubstantial in part because of how rosy things wrap up. Cinderella doesn't even disown or triumph over her evil stepmother, she just kind of independently triumphs and then moves out. I really think you're onto something.

And yet they can impose Duffy, which have absolutely no brand awareness because they were created just to sell merch. And Duffy is EVERYWHERE. That's so frustrating.
Don't get me started man, my cartoonist friends and I bitch about this all the time. They [Disney] don't want to do anything with the Disney Afternoon / Classic Cast stuff because kids don't know who they are. Did kids know who Spongebob was before his show came out? Finn and Jake? Powerpuff Girls? Who gives a fuck if they don't know who they are, INTRODUCE THEM TO THE CHARACTERS. They are good characters, that's why us adults are still clinging to them. You think kids wouldn't enjoy Duck Tales or Rescue Rangers? Just air the goddamn cartoons again, get them into the properties, go. Gadget has a fucking RIDE at Disneyland for God's sake. Who's Gadget anyway? Oh.

Fucking Christ, the stories I could tell. Ugh.

The mice are probably the best part about Cinderella. And Lady Tremaine is a pretty good villain.

But yeah, I definitely wouldn't rank it among my favorites.

omgkitty

But, the Goofy cartoons you're talking about aren't something kids care about either. Just like the Disney Afternoon stuff, only us adults remember or care about the classic Mickey/Donald/Goofy cartoons. Kids weren't the ones buying those Treasure sets, they weren't begging their parents to buy them. They want Playhouse Disney Goofy, not awesome Classic Goofy.

Anyway, sorry, I don't mean to derail or get all bitchy, the DA stuff is a super sore spot for me. In fact how Disney treats ALL of their classic characters and franchises really, really pisses me off. I would LOVE BluRay sets of their classics, rerelease the Treasures line on BluRay at some exorborent price, hell a Best Of with just the most popular shorts, I know I'd buy them. But Disney would never do that, it's not cost effective, there's not enough public interest or some shit.

:mad:

On the plus side, Cinderella is out for delivery, wheee

image.php

Seriously though, I know exactly how you feel. Shit sucks.

DJ_Lae

Ordered the 3 disc version as I had an Amazon credit.

I mostly just feel obligated to buy this, as I own every classic Disney release on blu-ray so far and skipping one now would feel weird.

Cinderella was not one of my favourites, though who knows - I might be surprised when I watch it. I didn't care for Sleeping Beauty when I was younger but thought it help up pretty well when I bought and watched it.

Ordered the 3 disc version as I had an Amazon credit.

I mostly just feel obligated to buy this, as I own every classic Disney release on blu-ray so far and skipping one now would feel weird.

Cinderella was not one of my favourites, though who knows - I might be surprised when I watch it. I didn't care for Sleeping Beauty when I was younger but thought it help up pretty well when I bought and watched it.

Neither film was a powerhouse of storytelling, but I'd definitely put Sleeping Beauty above Cinderella for its distinctive visual style. There's nothing in Cinderella that comes anywhere near the work of Eyvind Earle in Sleeping Beauty - and that's something I definitely couldn't appreciate as much as a child or on less detailed formats like VHS and DVD.

I'm not expecting Cinderella to blow me away in the same fashion.

Christopher

I felt the same way I'm only getting Cinderella because I've already purchased the other films and it woul feel weird without. It looks like next year were looking at: Peter Pan, Mermaid, Tarzan, Mulan and others a real shame about Aladdin I feel the collection especially has a gap without the films presence.

Chairhome

there's a coupon at www.cinderellacoupon.com/bestbuy or www.cinderellacoupon.com/target (maybe more for whatever store. I'm not sure if the coupons are different). Only works on the 3 disc edition, though.

I bought the 2-disc digibook edition at target. They actually had an issue with ringing it up this morning (not sure if it was local or nationwide problem), so they told me they'd hold it for me and call me when it was fixed. They called me before lunch and they gave me $3 off the advertised price for the inconvenience, so I got it for 20.99 (or was it 19.99) before tax and my redcard discount.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I felt the same way I'm only getting Cinderella because I've already purchased the other films and it woul feel weird without. It looks like next year were looking at: Peter Pan, Mermaid, Tarzan, Mulan and others a real shame about Aladdin I feel the collection especially has a gap without the films presence.

I've never felt that way. I mean, especially when you consider how many are actually 'diamond editions' and how many aren't. It feels like you'd never be 'complete'.

I always found Cinderella to be a boring movie. As a kid, I assumed it was just because it was geared towards young girls, but even then, I thought Sleeping Beauty was a lot better because Maleficent and Prince Philliip were awesome.

edit: Also, why no Lion King 1 1/2 or 2 listings in the OP? I'd say they're as much 'classics' as Great Mouse Detective

omgkitty

I've never felt that way. I mean, especially when you consider how many are actually 'diamond editions' and how many aren't. It feels like you'd never be 'complete'.

I always found Cinderella to be a boring movie. As a kid, I assumed it was just because it was geared towards young girls, but even then, I thought Sleeping Beauty was a lot better because Maleficent and Prince Philliip were awesome.

edit: Also, why no Lion King 1 1/2 or 2 listings in the OP? I'd say they're as much 'classics' as Great Mouse Detective

Woah man! You take that shit back!

18-Volt

Am I the only one who bought the Jewel Box Cinderella trilogy? I know how it sounds gay but it will look great next to Lion King Drum-thing trilogy. I hope Disney would do the same thing with Little Mermaid (with a treasure chest) and Aladdin (lamp, of course).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Do you guys think they pushed back Aladdin to include 2 and 3 in some kind of box set like they did with Lion King?

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I loved King of Thieves.

SUPREME1

Banned
We received the Gold packaged Cinderella from the Disney Movie Club last night. Gotta love the effort Disney puts into converting everything they release these days into 7.1 audio. I appreciate it. It also included a holographic card, which brings the total to three, the amount of hologrphic cards we now have.

Wife says we now have all the classics and most of the newer animated stuff.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Which is better, the newest Winnie the Pooh movie or the Tigger movie?

Also, what's in the Great Mouse Detective special edition? A digital copy I assume but what else?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Which is better, the newest Winnie the Pooh movie or the Tigger movie?

Personally, I liked the newest Winnie the Pooh movie better. Neither are top shelf and neither are bad films, so I'm not necessarily recommending one over the other :)

Do you guys think they pushed back Aladdin to include 2 and 3 in some kind of box set like they did with Lion King?

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I loved King of Thieves.

I can't say I loved King of Thieves or Return of Jafar, but I think I'd still like to rewatch them once or twice so it'd be pretty handy if they did include them.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Personally, I liked the newest Winnie the Pooh movie better. Neither are top shelf and neither are bad films, so I'm not necessarily recommending one over the other :)
I'll probably buy both eventually, but Winnie stuff has always been real interesting to me or real boring. There's no real middle ground, but I loved Many Adventures. I used to love Welcome to Pooh Corner(lol), but there's no way that series ever shows up anywhere aside from the bowels of the internet.

Is there a decent wiki for all upcoming Disney blu ray releases or something similar? Something that would list things like Lion King 1 1/2 and Pete's Dragon.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'll probably buy both eventually, but Winnie stuff has always been real interesting to me or real boring. There's no real middle ground, but I loved Many Adventures. I used to love Welcome to Pooh Corner(lol), but there's no way that series ever shows up anywhere aside from the bowels of the internet.

Is there a decent wiki for all upcoming Disney blu ray releases or something similar? Something that would list things like Lion King 1 1/2 and Pete's Dragon.

DVDizzy.com (which used to be "Ultimate Guide to DVD Disney" or whatever) is probably the most comprehensive one, although to be honest, the OP of this thread is pretty identical ahaha.

B.K.

I used to love Welcome to Pooh Corner(lol), but there's no way that series ever shows up anywhere aside from the bowels of the internet.

Someone else remembers Welcome to Pooh Corner! I used to watch it every day when I was a kid. It and Dumbo's Circus.

Has anyone had their copy of the Cinderella Diamond Edition ship from Deep Discount yet? I ordered it back in August when they had it available for $17.99, and it's still listed as a preorder, even though the item is in stock and shipping.

vazel

Banned
Has anyone had their copy of the Cinderella Diamond Edition ship from Deep Discount yet? I ordered it back in August when they had it available for $17.99, and it's still listed as a preorder, even though the item is in stock and shipping.
Hahahaha, I see you're being introduced to the wonderful service of Deep Discount.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Am I the only one who bought the Jewel Box Cinderella trilogy? I know how it sounds gay but it will look great next to Lion King Drum-thing trilogy.

Wait, you mean you're not gay?! That was such a gay comment to make that I thought you were! Well color me surprised!

codhand

Own all the classic Disney's on BD, will skip this one though, just not interested. Sleeping Beauty is slow and dull plot wise, but visually holds my interest, with it's unique painterly widescreen vistas and unparalled hand drawn animation.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Honestly, I don't even need Mulan on Blu-Ray. They could just sell me a 20 dollar blu-ray of this, and I would be happy.

I should really get the Duck Tales movie DVD with my Disney points. I've given up on them ever rereleasing it.

Borman

there's a coupon at www.cinderellacoupon.com/bestbuy or www.cinderellacoupon.com/target (maybe more for whatever store. I'm not sure if the coupons are different). Only works on the 3 disc edition, though.

I bought the 2-disc digibook edition at target. They actually had an issue with ringing it up this morning (not sure if it was local or nationwide problem), so they told me they'd hold it for me and call me when it was fixed. They called me before lunch and they gave me $3 off the advertised price for the inconvenience, so I got it for 20.99 (or was it 19.99) before tax and my redcard discount.

Best Buy still gave me 5$ off of the 2-disk version. Saw that the coupon was for the 3-disk right before checking out too so I was relieved.

illadelph

Best Buy still gave me 5$ off of the 2-disk version. Saw that the coupon was for the 3-disk right before checking out too so I was relieved.

I just did the same thing at Target. Ended up being like 18 bucks, not too shabby

Also today I picked up Pinnochio and Beauty and the Beast (both with slipcovers) so I now have all of the vaulted movies.

Quick question - movies like The Great Mouse Detective don't get coupons, do they?

Christopher

I just did the same thing at Target. Ended up being like 18 bucks, not too shabby

Also today I picked up Pinnochio and Beauty and the Beast (both with slipcovers) so I now have all of the vaulted movies.

Quick question - movies like The Great Mouse Detective don't get coupons, do they?

When Blu Ray was in infancy they use to get coupons all the time for upgrading yoru VHS versions however they have since stopped that practice and only give coupons to Diamond editions.

They use to give out 10 dollar coupons off and the first week you could walk out of the stores for 7 dollars.

Suairyu

Banned
So looking at the Disney BOGOF thing, Lady And The Tramp only has one disc, despite being a diamond edition. Is this right? Don't they normally come with a separate disc for bonus features?

Also, has the UK release of Tarzan been vaulted already, despite only coming out this year? Amazon is out of stock and it isn't included in any of the BOGOFs around the web,

omgkitty

Anyone else get this message from Amazon:

Unfortunately, we are unable to ship the item(s) as soon as we expected and need to provide you with a new estimate of when the item(s) may be delivered:

Vincent Price, et al "The Great Mouse Detective (Two-Disc Special Edition Blu-ray/DVD Combo)"
New Delivery Estimate: October 24, 2012

This is some crap!

LosDaddie

Banned
Cinderella was great on blu-ray. My 4yo daughter loved it. Now I just need to load the digital copy on the ipad.

When does Peter Pan come out? My wife told me I need to go ahead and pre-order it.

Suairyu

Banned
Arrived today (courtesy of my mother):
Lady and the Tramp
Pocahontus

Arriving sometime this week (courtesy of my lover):
Fox and the Hound
The Aristocats
101 Dalmations
The Princess and the Frog
Cinderella

Not a bad blu haul for a week :p

UK copies of Tarzan seem to be getting rarer and rarer all of a sudden. Am just going to have to bite the bullet and order now, I guess.

Top Bottom