• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Little OT but I wish Disney released their tv shows with some respect like Emperor's New School and Hercules. Along with the classics Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers and Darkwing Duck.

vazel

Banned
Little OT but I wish Disney released their tv shows with some respect like Emperor's New School and Hercules. Along with the classics Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers and Darkwing Duck.
I too would like to see their classic TV animation treated with more respect. The incomplete DVD sets that are out have a dirty image. They need to remaster them and release complete sets(hopefully on BD this time).

My bank account gave me cold feet and I canned my Amazon pre-order of Great Mouse Detective on Sunday. Good to see they wouldn't have gotten it out on time anyway. WTF?

Walked into Best Buy and picked up the last copy with my BB card. Fuck yeah.

WTF is going on with this release? First it's delayed like what was it, 2-3 weeks? Now the launch is all fucked on Amazon and delayed another 2 weeks, half the B&M stores don't actually have it in, and those that do are sold out.

The hell?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
WTF is going on with this release? First it's delayed like what was it, 2-3 weeks? Now the launch is all fucked on Amazon and delayed another 2 weeks, half the B&M stores don't actually have it in, and those that do are sold out.

The hell?

I think Disney don't really care about that movie. I meant they didn't adversing the movie in any movie that they just released.

I managed to grab one tho.

omgkitty

They had two at my Best Buy, but they were back in the standard blu-ray section with all of the older releases and not in the new release section. It's really disappointing how Disney is treating this release.

Anyone else get this message from Amazon:

This is some crap!

Yeah same here, and I pre-ordered months ago. Equally lame, not a single store that carries Blurays near me got this in. Thanks Disney for doing another we don't actually give a shit about this movie release.

So are we getting turn of the century films like Atlantis, Hercules and Emperors New Groove soon? Have the urge to watch them.
Atlantis: The Lost Empire is supposedly getting released in the fall of next year, along with Mulan (yay!) and Brother Bear. There's nothing for Hercules or The Emperor's New Groove right now. :\

Are the Rescuers, Great Mouse Detective, Lady and the Tramp, Fox and the Hound, and Robin Hood considered classics like Snow White and Alice in Wonderland? With the exception of Lady and the Tramp, I've always felt that the aforementioned fell a notch below what is considered "timeless" by cultural critics.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Are the Rescuers, Great Mouse Detective, Lady and the Tramp, Fox and the Hound, and Robin Hood considered classics like Snow White and Alice in Wonderland? With the exception of Lady and the Tramp, I've always felt that the aforementioned fell a notch below what is considered "timeless" by cultural critics.

you're correct, if Snow White/Alice in Wonderland is A+ tier, Lady and Tramp is A, Fox and Hound is A-, and the other three are in the B-tiers.

FOOTE

Correct

you're correct, if Snow White/Alice in Wonderland is A+ tier, Lady and Tramp is A, Fox and Hound is A-, and the other three are in the B-tiers.

and correct

qindarka

Banned

The Rescuers, The Great Mouse Detective, The Fox and the Hound and Robin Hood were released in the period after Walt Disney's death sometimes known as the Dark Age. The films in the period don't seem to be as well-known or highly regarded.

Lady and the Tramp is generally regarded as a classic, though.

The Rescuers, The Great Mouse Detective, The Fox and the Hound and Robin Hood were released in the period after Walt Disney's death sometimes known as the Dark Age. The films in the period don't seem to be as well-known or highly regarded.

It was also a time when Disney was taking significant shortcuts with animation, specifically using Xerox photography to speed up the process, so the films tend to be a bit rougher and cheaper-looking compared to their predecessors.

You wanna talk about Dark Period Disney, the one true title that stands out is the Black Cauldron. Nobody ever seems to like or care about that one :(

I kinda like the xerox process, honestly. It's not as clean as the typical Disney Look but the rough look of the [cleaned up] pencils translates to much more energy in the drawings. I just watched Great Mouse Detective last night and when Rattigan is chasing Basil through the gears in the clock tower, the drawings are crazy sketchy and it makes him look even more out of control.

I'm really bummed that GMD doesn't get as much recognition as the other Disney movies. It's really wonderful and was a HUGE step for the company (their first film with CGI), and I just love the characters. I wish they had made more of them, or a TV series. I wonder if that's how Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers came about?

Head's up - one of the directors of Hunchback confirmed it was coming to Blu-ray on facebook. He said that he gave his approval to the final cover art and that it will be bundled in with the sequel (fucking hell!).

Ovid

Got Cinderella today. I didn't know it came out until I visited this thread earlier in this week. Thanks.

So now I have Cinderella, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty. Next on the list, Pinocchio, Dumbo and in the future The Little Mermaid.

On the fence about Beauty and the Beast.

Lace

Got Cinderella today. I didn't know it came out until I visited this thread earlier in this week. Thanks.

So now I have Cinderella, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty. Next on the list, Pinocchio, Dumbo and in the future The Little Mermaid.

On the fence about Beauty and the Beast.
Going to have to ask why you'd be hesitant on Beauty.

What. Did I watch the same films?
Head's up - one of the directors of Hunchback confirmed it was coming to Blu-ray on facebook. He said that he gave his approval to the final cover art and that it will be bundled in with the sequel (fucking hell!).
Cool, I thought it had already been confirmed.

Gameboy415

Where does Oliver and Company fit in :(

A+++ tier alongside A Goofy Movie!....in my opinion. :)

It might be too late for some people (considering it's Saturday evening), but Best Buy has The Great Mouse Detective for $17.99 this week which means you can get it for $12.99 using the 'Upgrade 2 Blu' promotion (trade in any DVD for $5 off any $9.99+ Blu-Ray).
I nabbed my copy this past Wednesday. :)

A+++ tier alongside A Goofy Movie!....in my opinion. :)

It might be too late for some people (considering it's Saturday evening), but Best Buy has The Great Mouse Detective for $17.99 this week which means you can get it for $12.99 using the 'Upgrade 2 Blu' promotion (trade in any DVD for $5 off any $9.99+ Blu-Ray).
I nabbed my copy this past Wednesday. :)
I hadn't heard about that promotion.

qindarka

Banned
You wanna talk about Dark Period Disney, the one true title that stands out is the Black Cauldron. Nobody ever seems to like or care about that one :(

I kinda like the xerox process, honestly. It's not as clean as the typical Disney Look but the rough look of the [cleaned up] pencils translates to much more energy in the drawings. I just watched Great Mouse Detective last night and when Rattigan is chasing Basil through the gears in the clock tower, the drawings are crazy sketchy and it makes him look even more out of control.

I'm really bummed that GMD doesn't get as much recognition as the other Disney movies. It's really wonderful and was a HUGE step for the company (their first film with CGI), and I just love the characters. I wish they had made more of them, or a TV series. I wonder if that's how Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers came about?

If I remember correctly, The Black Cauldron was actually the first animated movie with CGI though I personally have never noticed it and TGMD was the first one to use it prominently.

Not sure if you were joking about The Black Cauldron, given its reputation but I actually like it quite a bit. Along with most of the films in the "Dark Age", I don't think there was any noticeable decline in quality during this period.

If I remember correctly, The Black Cauldron was actually the first animated movie with CGI though I personally have never noticed it and TGMD was the first one to use it prominently.

Not sure if you were joking about The Black Cauldron, given its reputation but I actually like it quite a bit. Along with most of the films in the "Dark Age", I don't think there was any noticeable decline in quality during this period.
From what I remember, I personally like/love the Black Cauldron. But no I was not joking in that it's publicly shit on as the worst of the Disney feature films and fuckin NOBODY remembers it when I talk about it, not to mention it was a huge box office bomb. Of all the "Dark Era" Disney movies Black Cauldron is the top (bottom?) of the pile. At least people know about Fox & the Hound, and to a lesser extent (thanks to its rerelease in 92 I bet) Great Mouse Detective.

The Great Mouse Detective is considered to be not a good movie. Fox and the Hound is probably middle tier, but I think that depends on whether or not you like its hamfisted handling of its themes (I enjoyed them). The Rescuers is loved by some and baffled by others; I'm in the camp that enjoys the sequel considerably more than the original (minus the bare breasts frame splicing). Lady and the Tramp is one of the lowest of the golden age, which sounds like an insult, but really isn't.

Robin Hood is utter trash. I know some people love it because they watched it as children, have a fetish for foxes, or whatever, but the ripping off of animation, the recycling, the ending (if you could call it an ending), and the music all make it awful. It ranks with Oliver and Company and The Aristocats as the worst of the worst Disney animated features.

If Robin Hood is B-tier, I can't even begin to image what you might consider C, D, and E (F) tier.

I remember really enjoying everything outside of the gargoyles and songs (to which I can't remember a single one) in Hunchback, but I haven't seen it since its theatrical debut. I can't wait for its blu-ray release just so I can see it again.

I watched The Black Cauldron about two years ago on Halloween, and thought it was alright. Overall, not bad, but I detested that comedy relief thing.

The Rescuers Down Under was a better movie, I thought, than the original Rescuers. The original felt like it was going through the motions, and I'm sure the whole sequence with the villian and her car was just copy-pasted from 101 Dalmations. That said, RDU wasn't that great of a movie anyway, but I found it fascinating from a historical standpoint. (Pixar's first collaboration with Disney).

The Great Mouse Detective feels a bit underrated, in my eyes. It had a fairly decent story, good characters, and a good style. Granted, it wasn't anywhere near the Renaissance films though.

I got Fox and the Hound last Christmas, but I haven't watched it yet. I feel like I have to be in the mood for a depressing movie, but I rarely am.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
What. Did I watch the same films?

Snow White is certainly A+ tier. especially considering it is 75 years old. It's production alone makes it a staggering achievement that created an industry and changed Hollywood forever.

I'd put Alice up there too as one of the all time Disney classics.

qindarka

Banned
I don't consider Snow White to be an A+ film. Of course, it deserves to be respected as a pioneer of feature animation but I don't think it's actual quality is all that great. The pacing seems off with certain sequences such as the Dwarfs discovering Snow White in the cottage lasting too long. There isn't really much to the story either.

Suairyu

Banned
Just watched Lady and the Tramp and The AristoCats.

I'd put LatT as an A-, mostly on the grounds of some utterly fantastic animation. The dogs are completely convincing, perhaps Disney's greatest animal work. The characters were all fun but the story was so-so. The old racist stereotypes of the Siamese cats didn't overly help things.

AristoCats was much more of a B film, maybe a B-. Not knowing much, I'm going to presume this was during one of Disney's cheap periods. The backgrounds are flat and the animations, while detailed, lack a certain life. And I swear Madam was really obviously rotoscoped, which can look fantastic with the right artistic direction (Sleeping Beauty) but here just looked cheap. Was that Winnie the Pooh's and Baloo's voice actors I heard? Also more bad taste Asia-Pacific stereotypes. I guess blacks were off limits by this point :p

Just watched Lady and the Tramp and The AristoCats.

I'd put LatT as an A-, mostly on the grounds of some utterly fantastic animation. The dogs are completely convincing, perhaps Disney's greatest animal work. The characters were all fun but the story was so-so. The old racist stereotypes of the Siamese cats didn't overly help things.

AristoCats was much more of a B film, maybe a B-. Not knowing much, I'm going to presume this was during one of Disney's cheap periods. The backgrounds are flat and the animations, while detailed, lack a certain life. And I swear Madam was really obviously rotoscoped, which can look fantastic with the right artistic direction (Sleeping Beauty) but here just looked cheap. Was that Winnie the Pooh's and Baloo's voice actors I heard? Also more bad taste Asia-Pacific stereotypes. I guess blacks were off limits by this point :p

Lady and the Tramp's animal animations had my cat mesmerized as we watched it. She just sat there staring at the screen almost the entire movie.

And Lady and the Tramp has one of the most iconic images from any Disney film as well:
tumblr_m6g76clqt21r6un93o5_500.jpg

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I don't consider Snow White to be an A+ film. Of course, it deserves to be respected as a pioneer of feature animation but I don't think it's actual quality is all that great. The pacing seems off with certain sequences such as the Dwarfs discovering Snow White in the cottage lasting too long. There isn't really much to the story either.

The pioneering is simply what makes it as such. Given its age, its time must be considered. Compare it to other movies from the 1930s. I mean, it's an incredible, incredible accomplishment that is nearly timeless.

I'm not trying to say it's an A+ film amongst all films of all time, I am saying that among Disney animated features, it certainly earns A+ tier status

Snow White is certainly A+ tier. especially considering it is 75 years old. It's production alone makes it a staggering achievement that created an industry and changed Hollywood forever.

I'd put Alice up there too as one of the all time Disney classics.
The pioneering is simply what makes it as such. Given its age, its time must be considered. Compare it to other movies from the 1930s. I mean, it's an incredible, incredible accomplishment that is nearly timeless.

I'm not trying to say it's an A+ film amongst all films of all time, I am saying that among Disney animated features, it certainly earns A+ tier status
So it's an important film, not a good one. Gotcha. :p

Top Bottom