• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Thanks for the info, guys. This is the first Disney blu-ray that included the cheapquels, so I didn't know how they were packaged. I made a deal with myself that if the Disney blu-ray comes with a cheapquel, I'd buy it used. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they packaged it so poorly.

Ovid

Is $42 a good price for the following Blu-ray movies?

Dumbo
Alice In Wonderland
The Lion King
Lady and the Tramp

What would be a fair price for Disney Platinum DVDs?

They're all in perfect condition, most with slipcover.

I was thinking $100 for all 13 of them.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
What would be a fair price for Disney Platinum DVDs?

They're all in perfect condition, most with slipcover.

I was thinking $100 for all 13 of them.

dunno now that lots of blu rays are out, market may have tanked on those. Seems like an ok deal though.

I started selling my Disney DVDs when the blu-transition happened, got between 40-100 a pop, and like 100+ for most of my Ghibli DVDs.

Ovid

I think I'm going to do it.

One more thing, what's the deal with the Diamond and Platinum editions of these films? Is it that big a deal?

Ovid

Okay, cool. I already have Sleeping Beauty.

I'll get those four and pick up Pinocchio and Beauty & The Beast at a later date.

Thanks everyone!

For a "recent" animated movie, Fox and the Hound doesn't look that good, and the cleanup isn't that great, either. Right after they introduce the lady fox, there's like a hair or scratch on the right side of the frame that lasts for a few minutes (a scratch then).

Also, the Pooh voices are annoying. The bird is Tigger, the porcupine is Piglet, and the owl looks exactly like Owl.

There's even some strange inking on the characters, and the backgrounds are so sterile.

I'm now nervous to revisit The Great Mouse Detective since I know that movie's budget got chopped in half or something.

edit: omg, I forgot how great the fight with the bear is at the end. Reminds me a bit of Pinocchio and the whale sequence. They must have blown their budget on that one sequence.

qindarka

Banned
For a "recent" animated movie, Fox and the Hound doesn't look that good, and the cleanup isn't that great, either. Right after they introduce the lady fox, there's like a hair or scratch on the right side of the frame that lasts for a few minutes (a scratch then).

Also, the Pooh voices are annoying. The bird is Tigger, the porcupine is Piglet, and the owl looks exactly like Owl.

There's even some strange inking on the characters, and the backgrounds are so sterile.

I'm now nervous to revisit The Great Mouse Detective since I know that movie's budget got chopped in half or something.

edit: omg, I forgot how great the fight with the bear is at the end. Reminds me a bit of Pinocchio and the whale sequence. They must have blown their budget on that one sequence.

Yeah, this distracted me as well. Their voices are just too distinctive.

And by recent, do you mean its year of release or the date of the latest home video release?

isny

napkin dispenser
Wait, so Peter Pan is still being released in a week in Europe? I think I may be tempted to import...

edit: and Totoro the same week? fuuuuu

tumblr_lxq4q3kWOP1qbxfdqo1_400.jpg

WHERE IS THIS!?!?!?!?!?!?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Picked up The Rescuers and Great Mouse Detective. Still need:

Pocahontas
Aristocats
Fox & the Hound
Alice in Wonderland

oatmeal

Banned
Ordered Cinderella and The Great Mouse Detective yesterday. Amazon had that order two qualifying titles and get $8 off.

$32 total. Not bad.

oatmeal

Banned
Also, I wanted Pinnochio so I ordered it from a third party seller on Amazon.

Turned out to be a fucking ITALIAN copy.

I don't want this shit, why is he selling that on the US store?

hope I can return it without paying the, what I expect to be, ridiculous shipping fee.

DJ_Lae

It really is an ugly movie. I don't think it was helped by me watching it directly after Sleeping Beauty, which is absolutely gorgeous.

If I understand correctly much of the movie's problem is that the inking was done differently, or on a dinky budget, or something. Maybe they cut costs on film stock, too, I dunno, but edges look rough and the entire movie looks murky.

LosDaddie

Banned
Man, why is it so hard to find The Great Mouse Detective? All the Best Buys in my area are sold out and Target doesn't stock it.

heh, I got this movie for free this past weekend from a local radio station at our community Halloween event. We went up to their booth and they had some random items on a table. I simply asked if there was a raffle for the movie, and the guy just said "You want it? Go ahead, it's yours. Hope your daughter likes it".

:)

So, is Great Mouse Detective good? I've never seen it, and didn't get around to waching it yet.

oatmeal

Banned
Fuck Amazon is good.

Ordered Cinderella and TGMD yesterday (Sunday)...just did regular shipping (I'm Prime) and...BAM...got them already.

It really is an ugly movie. I don't think it was helped by me watching it directly after Sleeping Beauty, which is absolutely gorgeous.

If I understand correctly much of the movie's problem is that the inking was done differently, or on a dinky budget, or something. Maybe they cut costs on film stock, too, I dunno, but edges look rough and the entire movie looks murky.
It's from an era where they took the rough pencils and cleaned them up, then photocopied them onto the animation cels. It was cheaper and saved a lot of time, but it resulted in a rougher look that not everyone is a fan of.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Sleeping Beauty was also shot on 65mm. Of course it's going to look better.

overcast

Quick question that isn't really related to the vault.

What is the best way to get the Toy Story trilogy on Blu without buying them separately. I heard the Toy box packaging was awful. Any help?

Top Bottom