• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

You create an account on their site and they ship it to you. Shipping to North America is cheap. Most people who still buy Blu Rays pick up a great deal from them, as most UK BR discs are region free. (Although these Ghibli ones are not. You'll need a region free BR player, or a PC BR player and use BD Region Tray to change your region settings on the fly)

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2012/11/blu-ray-review-my-neighbour-totoro-1988.html

Disney dub. Who watches Ghibli dubbed though? =/
Blargh! My only BluRay player is my PS3. Hopes, dashed.

As for the dub, I don't care for the dub but I know when I share the movie with friends they have the mentality of "I don't want to read this shit." so :\

FOOTE

Looks like Little Mermaid 3D has an official release date of Sep 13:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Little-Mermaid-3D-Blu-ray/38587/

Btw, how was Monster Inc 3D? I'm only going because it's only a $1 with my movie money but I was still interested in thoughts. I think I'm going to wait on Little Mermaid 3D until it comes out for home as 3D does look better on my TV (unless there is another deal like this one...maybe with Wreck-It-Ralph?).
Nah, TLM doesn't have an official date yet.

How do they even decide on what is a Diamond Edition? It seems fairly arbitrary. Aladdin's DVD release was a Platinum Edition so I think it's a safe bet it will get a Diamond Edition.

Solo

How do they even decide on what is a Diamond Edition? It seems fairly arbitrary. Aladdin's DVD release was a Platinum Edition so I think it's a safe bet it will get a Diamond Edition.

Do they give a fuck about the movie in question?

If no, then no Platinum/Diamond.
If yes, then Platinum/Diamond.

Basically its all of their biggest hits and/or critical successes. ie. The Little Mermaid through The Lion King.

That's how I see it.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Problem is that I heard that Disney weren't happy with Aladdin's sales (as Platinum) I can't give out the source but I remembered several people were discussing about it. I think I read that in this thread or Blu Ray thread someone else linked to.

Problem is that I heard that Disney weren't happy with Aladdin's sales (as Platinum) I can't give out the source but I remembered several people were discussing about it. I think I read that in this thread or Blu Ray thread someone else linked to.
Aladdin had a crappy encoding, so it was deserved.

Man I had no idea the Beauty and the Beast 3D edition got vaulted so long ago. I have the first blu-ray release and didn't think the 3D one came out until much later.

Debating whether it's worth it for my collection to just go ahead and blow the cash on the 3D re-issue. It's the only one that I'm missing, my siblings got me Dumbo, Cinderella and Fox and the Hound for my birthday.

Magnus

List price on Amazon for some of the blurays is $45-55? Fuck right off. Ridiculous.

Saw great condition blu's for Brave and Lady/Tramp for $15 each at a local game store in Toronto. Probably should have bitten.

Sagitario

Finally got Alice in Wonderland (for $23)!

Now I am only missing Pinocchio and Snow White.
Edit: Damn! I forgot about The Rescuers... I am not sure I want The Great Mouse Detective.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Is that Atlantis set definitely slated for release in March? It's strangely not listed on Amazon yet, although the other sets releasing that day are present. I want to revisit that movie. I always loved the art and concept. I fear it's getting pushed back again.

On the Mulan/Mulan II Blu-ray page on Amazon, you go to page 4 of the 'customers who bought this item also bought' suggestions, you'll find Touch of Love 3D - The Sensual Anal Sex Experience.

Ditto, I thought Spirited Away, Howl's, and even (I know I'm gonna get reamed for this...) the Dakota dub of Totoro were really enjoyable. Last I saw them, there was nothing deplorable in any of these dubs, nothing like vast changes in dialogue/score Kiki underwent (which was actually corrected and re-edited to match the original audio in the latest re-release), or the Miley rock song crammed at the end of Ponyo. Most recently Arriety was also really decent (and in some areas exceeded the original!), and the announced cast for Poppy Hill looks promising. Miyazaki himself prefers a dub in one's native tongue to allow the viewer full immersion in the visuals and world over reading anyway. I'll always give the original VA's a look on my second viewing, but I have no qualms watching it in english, especially when there's actual effort put in.

Suairyu

Banned
Currently sitting at 850 reward points. Enough for a blu ray.

Or, I could wait and save up to 1500 and get this bad boy:

flynn1vkaq.png

Much, much better cover.

A little OT, but does anyone know if the Disney Store usually stocks products to correspond with the release of the Blu Ray? Just saw that they added new Peter Pan stuff and I would love to get some Atlantis or Brother Bear plushes. Lol

isny

napkin dispenser
A little OT, but does anyone know if the Disney Store usually stocks products to correspond with the release of the Blu Ray? Just saw that they added new Peter Pan stuff and I would love to get some Atlantis or Brother Bear plushes. Lol

They do indeed. With catalogue titles like Atlantis and such though I think the chances are slim to none that you'll see any new product produced. Top tier titles like Lion King, Monsters Inc, etc. tend to get the new merch produced for the Disney Store and Disney Parks around the time the blu ray is released.

They do indeed. With catalogue titles like Atlantis and such though I think the chances are slim to none that you'll see any new product produced. Top tier titles like Lion King, Monsters Inc, etc. tend to get the new merch produced for the Disney Store and Disney Parks around the time the blu ray is released.
Dang. I knew it would be a long shot with titles like that. Guess I'll have to do some searching online....

List price on Amazon for some of the blurays is $45-55? Fuck right off. Ridiculous.

Saw great condition blu's for Brave and Lady/Tramp for $15 each at a local game store in Toronto. Probably should have bitten.

What exactly are you getting all huffy about? It's never sold at list price by amazon, it's been like that for pretty much forever.

I had a quick Google but I'm not awesome at finding info for this stuff.. But is there a release date for Lilo and Stitch or the Aladdin trilogy? I haven't seen either when checking my local stores nor online.

Nemesis_

Uggh, I hate how I stop following these for so long and then all of a sudden a heap have been released and I'm behind again.

I'll have to go investigate to see which ones I own and don't own.

FOOTE

What exactly are you getting all huffy about? It's never sold at list price by amazon, it's been like that for pretty much forever.

I thought he was talking about Sleeping Beauty and Snow White when I read before. Those are OOP, and have been for years, so yeah the price is going to go up.

I thought he was talking about Sleeping Beauty and Snow White when I read before. Those are OOP, and have been for years, so yeah the price is going to go up.

Didn't read like that at all, seemed to suggest that amazon was gouging people because the list price is high but they never charge list price... Was just weird because amazon actually has a "list price" but it doesn't really mean anything. If I misunderstood than I misunderstood but it seems oddly worded if that's the case.

Sushigod7

Just found this thread, awesome. I just got a new TV last month so I have been buying up Disney BR like crazy. So what are you guys getting with the DMR points? I don't see anything on the site that looks good at all. Maybe my daughter will like Tinkerbell when she is older but man they need more stuff.

Levi

Banned
Just spent most of my DMR points on this bad boy:

QB26S.jpg

Got Incredibles, Alice, and Cars Blus for Christmas, which got me there.

FOOTE

Didn't read like that at all, seemed to suggest that amazon was gouging people because the list price is high but they never charge list price... Was just weird because amazon actually has a "list price" but it doesn't really mean anything. If I misunderstood than I misunderstood but it seems oddly worded if that's the case.

No, you're right. The second part of my post wasn't directed at you. I was just stating why the prices are so high now.

isny

napkin dispenser
That is one seriously ugly box. The base artwork is the same but... well, look what they've done to it!

I also don't really like the original Tron. It's just dated. Much as I suspect Tron Legacy will be dated in 30 year's time, too.

Here's a photo of mine. It's lenticular, so it looks really great in person.

Da1X5l.jpg

Windam

Scaley member
Here's a photo of mine. It's lenticular, so it looks really great in person.

Da1X5l.jpg

Ahh I've been looking for this set everywhere this Boxing Week but it seems like it's sold out everywhere now. Had to settle for Legacy alone (not bad since it was $15, but Tron Classic was nowhere to be found, either). :(

isny

napkin dispenser
Ahh I've been looking for this set everywhere this Boxing Week but it seems like it's sold out everywhere now. Had to settle for Legacy alone (not bad since it was $15, but Tron Classic was nowhere to be found, either). :(

I just watched the original again last night. It's so much better the second time around. (Yes, I admit I had only watched it once before, the day I bought the Blu)

Windam

Scaley member
I just watched the original again last night. It's so much better the second time around. (Yes, I admit I had only watched it once before, the day I bought the Blu)

I'll admit, I've only seen it once before as well, but I really enjoyed it and Legacy, so it'd be nice to own them both. Also, quick question: are Ghibli movies discussed in this thread as well? I'd love to find out about sales on them or new releases (HMV was selling Castle in the Sky for $50 on Christmas Eve... no thanks :/; and more specifically, I'm still waiting for a Princess Mononoke BluRay announcement).

Top Bottom