• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

isny

napkin dispenser
I'll admit, I've only seen it once before as well, but I really enjoyed it and Legacy, so it'd be nice to own them both. Also, quick question: are Ghibli movies discussed in this thread as well? I'd love to find out about sales on them or new releases (HMV was selling Castle in the Sky for $50 on Christmas Eve... no thanks :/; and more specifically, I'm still waiting for a Princess Mononoke BluRay announcement).

Ah, you're in Canada too? Usually the only way to get discounted Ghibli titles is to buy them during the week of release and take advantage of the coupons Disney offers.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ah, you're in Canada too? Usually the only way to get discounted Ghibli titles is to buy them during the week of release and take advantage of the coupons Disney offers.
They didn't even do coupons last year. They told people to buy from Amazon.com to get the discount... which does really no good to someone in Canada.

isny

napkin dispenser
I'll admit, I've only seen it once before as well, but I really enjoyed it and Legacy, so it'd be nice to own them both. Also, quick question: are Ghibli movies discussed in this thread as well? I'd love to find out about sales on them or new releases (HMV was selling Castle in the Sky for $50 on Christmas Eve... no thanks :/; and more specifically, I'm still waiting for a Princess Mononoke BluRay announcement).

They didn't even do coupons last year. They told people to buy from Amazon.com to get the discount... which does really no good to someone in Canada.

I think I'm actually going to sell mine off, need some extra cash, so feel free to PM me if either of you want to buy em at a decent price =)

Alright, it's 2013. I've waited long enough.

My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle

If I don't have these on my shelf by the end of the year, someone's gonna get a hurt real bad.

Sushigod7

Alright, it's 2013. I've waited long enough.

My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle

If I don't have these on my shelf by the end of the year, someone's gonna get a hurt real bad.

That is the ideal list for sure I'd be in for all + Princess Mononoke.

Just looking through the OP, I'm impressed with how classy the covers for the multi-pack movies are. On the other hand, we have Sony and Microsoft doing HD collections with some of the crappiest, laziest cover art imaginable. They should take a look at Disney for how to do it right.

qindarka

Banned
I thought I saw something about the Disney/Ghibli deal running out.

True or false?

I know Disney does not have the theatrical rights to From Up on Poppy Hill, GKids does. No idea about their future releases. Perhaps it's only From Up on Poppy Hill that Disney let go as it's pretty low-key.

I wouldn't think so. Lassetter wouldn't allow it; him and Miyazaki are tight.

I don't know why but I always got the feeling that the affection is rather one sided.

How many people use the Disney Movie Rewards site here? I was surprised to see how bad the US site was, the site here in the UK is awesome I've not actually had to buy many of my 3D Blu's since I get them free from the DMR site.

FOOTE

How many people use the Disney Movie Rewards site here? I was surprised to see how bad the US site was, the site here in the UK is awesome I've not actually had to buy many of my 3D Blu's since I get them free from the DMR site.

I use it. The selection on the US site is not great, agreed.

Sushigod7

I just started using it I'm in the US, it kind of sucks from what I've seen. Maybe they drop exclusive stuff a few times a year and the rest is kids filler stuff. What does the UK have up that is good, movies?

bryanee

I just started using it I'm in the US, it kind of sucks from what I've seen. Maybe they drop exclusive stuff a few times a year and the rest is kids filler stuff. What does the UK have up that is good, movies?

It has a load of DVD's, Blu Rays and 3D Blu Rays. It has other pointless crap.

vazel

Banned
Something troubling I've noticed on DMR is some items have gone up in price. This Fantastic Four boxset was 900 but now it's 1500; luckily I got it while it still cost 900. I'm sure this Donald figurine was cheaper too.

Sushigod7

Did anyone else Buy the Target exclusive version of Brave? Went to look for the code and it wasn't inside wondering if it fell out or if for some reason they didn't include it for this version.

Suairyu

Banned
Blu rays. I've received Tangled, The Princess and the Frog and something else (I forget what) for free so far. Tangled was not long after release, too.

But on the flip side, you guys always get the Diamond Edition releases, whereas over here there's a chance a Diamond Edition film will just be a cheapo single disc, no special features releases.

Footos22

Uk is pretty decent, in a year and a half i have redeemed all these

Dinosaur Blu-ray
Toy Story 1 Blu-ray 3D ( Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)
Meet the Robinsons Blu-ray
Toy Story 2 Blu-ray 3D (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)
Toy Story 3 Blu-ray 3D (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)
Tinker Bell Blu-ray
Alice in Wonderland Blu-ray 3D (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)
Bolt Blu-ray 3D (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)
The Nightmare Before Christmas Blu-ray

they give you points like they are nothing too.
I have 1350 just sitting there waiting for brave 3d to be added.
But they are taking their sweet time.

Sushigod7

Uk is pretty decent, in a year and a half i have redeemed all these

Dinosaur Blu-ray
Toy Story 1 Blu-ray 3D ( Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)
Meet the Robinsons Blu-ray
Toy Story 2 Blu-ray 3D (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)
Toy Story 3 Blu-ray 3D (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)
Tinker Bell Blu-ray
Alice in Wonderland Blu-ray 3D (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)
Bolt Blu-ray 3D (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray)
The Nightmare Before Christmas Blu-ray

they give you points like they are nothing too.
I have 1350 just sitting there waiting for brave 3d to be added.
But they are taking their sweet time.

Wow jealous, were those put up like a promo kind of deal for a few months then pulled down? Or are all those still up for members to get (in the UK)?

netguy503

Wreck it Raplh and Monster's Inc. 3D blu-ray details:

Walt Disney Home Entertainment has officially announced and detailed the upcoming Blu-ray releases of Wreck-It Ralph and Wreck-It Ralph 3D. Nominated for Best Animated Feature Film at this year's Golden Globes, Disney's 52nd Animated Classic follows the misadventures of a videogame character who forges his own path through his beloved arcade, and features the voice talents of John C. Reilly, Sarah Silverman, Jack McBrayer and Jane Lynch. Both the 2D and 4-disc Ultimate Collector's Edition 3D/2D Combo Pack releases of Wreck-It Ralph hit Blu-ray on March 5, 2013.

For decades, Ralph (Reilly) has played the bad guy in Fix-It Felix Jr., a popular video game starring his friendly foe Felix (McBrayer). In a bold move, Ralph embarks on an action-packed excursion, setting out to prove to everyone that he's a true hero with a big heart. As he explores exciting new worlds, he teams up with some unlikely new friends including feisty misfit Vanellope von Schweetz (Silverman), gruff space marine Sgt. Calhoun (Lynch) and eventually Felix himself.

Both the 2D and 3D versions of the film will be presented with a DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 surround track, and are available for pre-order now. Special features are set to include:

Disney Intermission: The Gamer's Guide to Wreck-It Ralph - When the film is paused, host Chris Hardwick appears on screen to guide viewers through a series of 10 video segments offering an inside look at the many video game references, Disney references and other hidden surprises featured in the film.

Bit by Bit: Creating the Worlds of Wreck-It Ralph – Fans of the film will get a look at five new worlds created for the film. The short takes viewers into Game Central Station with the artists who brought Sugar Rush, Hero's Duty and Fix It Felix Jr. to life.

Deleted & Alternate Scenes – Four separate scenes are highlighted with an introduction and optional audio commentary from director Rich Moore.

Video Game Commercials – Viewers can check out the commercials created for the video games featured in the film - Fix It Felix Jr., Sugar Rush, Hero's Duty and Fix It Felix Hammer.

Paperman – This animated short film played in theaters before Wreck-It Ralph and tells the story of a young man in an office who sees the girl of his dreams in a skyscraper window across the street. But how can he get her attention?

Walt Disney Home Entertainment has detailed the upcoming 5-disc 3D Blu-ray Combo Pack release of Monsters, Inc. 3D, due in stores on February 19, 2013. Pixar Animation Studios' fourth film features the voice talents of John Goodman, Billy Crystal, Steve Buscemi and James Coburn, and remains an Academy Award-winning fan favorite.

Set in Monstropolis, a thriving company town where monsters of all shapes and sizes reside, Monsters, Inc. tells the story of lovable Sulley (Goodman) and his wisecracking best friend Mike Wazowski (Crystal), the top scare team at Monsters, Inc., the largest scream-processing factory in the city. The main power source in the monster world is the collected screams of human children, and at Monsters, Inc., an elite team of scarers is responsible for gathering those precious natural resources. Believed by monsters to be toxic, children are strictly forbidden from entering Monstropolis. But when a little girl named Boo (Mary Gibbs) accidentally follows Sulley back into his world, he finds his career in jeopardy and his life in utter chaos. Assisted by Mike, the two pals plot to rectify the mistake and return Boo to her home. When the trio encounters an unexpected series of complications, they become embroiled in a cover-up catapulting them into a mystery beyond their wildest dreams.

Directed by Oscar-winner Pete Docter (Up) and produced by Oscar nominee Darla K. Anderson (Toy Story 3), Monsters, Inc. 3D features a screenplay by Andrew Stanton and Daniel Gerson and music by Randy Newman. Special features are set to include:

Sneak Peek: Monsters University
Audio Commentary
Filmmakers Round Table Discussion
Toy Story Toons: Partysaurus Rex
For The Birds Animated Short
Mike's New Car Animated Short
Roz's 100-Door Challenge Game
Pixar Fun Factory Tower
Banished Concepts
And More!
The Blu-ray release of Monsters, Inc. 3D also features Dolby TrueHD 7.1 surround, a standard DVD copy of the film and an on-disc Digital Copy.

I hope the shorts on both blu-rays are in 3D but I also hope all the Monsters Inc. blu-ray features are in this release as I just sold mine toward the purchase of this release. I'm also kind of dissapointed Wreck It Raplh is low on extras. They could of done so much more.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I hope the shorts on both blu-rays are in 3D but I also hope all the Monsters Inc. blu-ray features are in this release as I just sold mine toward the purchase of this release. I'm also kind of dissapointed Wreck It Raplh is low on extras. They could of done so much more.

The Wreck-It Ralph set needs bonus features about Paperman.

Is the Toy Story short the only new addition to the MI 3D set? Not sure if I'll keep my preorder or not, since I already own both MI and a digital version of Partysaurus Rex. Of course, I haven't SEEN Monster's Inc in 3D yet, so that door chase might sway me...

netguy503

Is the Toy Story short the only new addition to the MI 3D set? Not sure if I'll keep my preorder or not, since I already own both MI and a digital version of Partysaurus Rex. Of course, I haven't SEEN Monster's Inc in 3D yet, so that door chase might sway me...

Well for the birds was also redone in 3D for this release (didn't know they'd do that, that was awesome but that's not a short to show much 3D range). The snow scenes and the snow chase were the only real 3D stand outs for me. But they REALLY stand out. It's like those scenes were given to another company to do-they are fantastic!! I thought I was on a rollercoaster/snowboarding in the alps. If you sell your Monsters Inc and used that money toward this release (like I'm doing. You should get alot for it, I did, because the original is hard to find) what's the harm?

Oh, the opening credits are also given new life because there is alot of good dimensionality to it. Again, not a title to buy at full price but if you have the means and are getting money back for upgrading go for it.

I'm so glad Paperman is being released with Ralph. I seem to remember it being a thing in the VHS days to remove the shorts when the movie was released.

overcast

Got finding Nemo for 14 dollars a few weeks ago. Very pleased with it. Need the Toy Story's, Wreck it Ralph and Tangled.

I have a bunch of movies, should I redeem points and start up a rewards account. Never done it.

jambo

Nope. Still waiting.

qFwQ2.gif

Hercules is very much an ok, safe-ish movie, and I know people love Woods in it, but it always seemed to me a lesser version of Robin Williams' work as the Genie.

Dan

Are you happy that the Toy Story short will be included in the Monsters Inc. set? I am.

It's nice for those buying it. I hate 3D, so I have no reason to replace my current Monsters Inc Blu-ray. Maybe someday it'll appear on a third volume of shorts...

It's nice for those buying it. I hate 3D, so I have no reason to replace my current Monsters Inc Blu-ray. Maybe someday it'll appear on a third volume of shorts...

Much like the Cars Toons got their own release, I'm sure the Toy Story Toons will eventually get one - once they've made enough. Probably next fall when they air the special Halloween short film.

Well this is certainly a welcome development.

i5BD6.png

It still pales in comparison to the UK rewards selection, but it's a good first step. I'm tempted to pick up Enchanted, but I'll probably hold off to see what else trickles in.

Tunic

Well this is certainly a welcome development.

i5BD6.png

It still pales in comparison to the UK rewards selection, but it's a good first step. I'm tempted to pick up Enchanted, but I'll probably hold off to see what else trickles in.

It is definitely a start. If the US rewards turn out to be anything like the UK rewards I will be a happy man. I am sitting on almost 10,000 points and have no desire in anything they have on there right now.

Dan

Much like the Cars Toons got their own release, I'm sure the Toy Story Toons will eventually get one - once they've made enough. Probably next fall when they air the special Halloween short film.

True. Or after the spring '14 TV special. That would make sense.

Top Bottom