• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Christopher

Peter Pan is out next week folks as always Remeber it has 4 releases:

- DVD only option

- DVD / Blu Ray in DVD packaging

- DVD / Blu ray in Blu Ray packaging

- 3 Disc Combo DVD/Blu Ray/ Digital Copy

Man, quite a few come out on March 12. Did Amazon ever have coupons for any of those?

I'm confused. I can still find all of these films on amazon. I thought vaulted meant they stopped making copies?

I bought Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King (Both in 3D) last week. Feels good.
Did you find them at a Best Buy?

Nemesis_

Peter Pan is out next week folks as always Remeber it has 4 releases:

- DVD only option

- DVD / Blu Ray in DVD packaging

- DVD / Blu ray in Blu Ray packaging

- 3 Disc Combo DVD/Blu Ray/ Digital Copy

Bless you. Pre-ordered. Almost forgot too.

iMjw4XvYoDybs.gif

johnsmith

remember me
Cancelled my peter pan and wreck it ralph preorders from amazon. I'm gonna let the releases stack for a while so I can sign up for the disney blu-ray club again. Can't beat that deal.

Christopher

I'm collecting all Disney movies on iTunes so I don't have to worry about the vault anymore

I have:

Lion king
Beauty and the beast
Lady and the tramp
Peter Pan
Dumbo
Alice in Wonderland
Hunchback of Notredam
Tarzan
Cinderella

They are on the Icloud never again have to worry about buying them over and over, done.

vazel

Banned
I'm collecting all Disney movies on iTunes so I don't have to worry about the vault anymore

I have:

Lion king
Beauty and the beast
Lady and the tramp
Peter Pan
Dumbo
Alice in Wonderland
Hunchback of Notredam
Tarzan
Cinderella

They are on the Icloud never again have to worry about buying them over and over, done.
Who says you have to keep buying them over and over again. I don't see myself rebuying any vault movie on 4K except maybe for Beauty and the Beast since it's my fave movie ever.

You're losing out on PQ and AQ. Plus all the extra features which are half the fun.

Vyer

Who says you have to keep buying them over and over again. I don't see myself rebuying any vault movie on 4K except maybe for Beauty and the Beast since it's my fave movie ever.

You're losing out on PQ and AQ. Plus all the extra features which are half the fun.

Picture quality is close enough that most people probably wouldn't care.

I think you lose some AQ options though, and the special features are always nice (even though I don't end up watching any of them, especially more than once).

vazel

Banned
Picture quality is close enough that most people probably wouldn't care.

I think you lose some AQ options though, and the special features are always nice (even though I don't end up watching any of them, especially more than once).
You're joking right? Encoding a 1080p movie using h.264 at file sizes less than 4GB will not yield PQ that is 'close enough' to BD. Laughable.

Downhome

Do any of you guys do the Disney Blu-ray club?

I signed up the other day with these as my initial selections for a total of $21 with two more to buy to complete the membership...

-Brave 3D
-Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
-The Nightmare Before Christmas 3D
-The Rescuers: 35th Anniversary Edition
-The Secret World of Arrietty
-UP 3D
-Whisper of the Heart

The above has shipped, and I'll complete the membership terms getting 9 Blus for around $85 or so, and then do the membership a few more times to get everything else I want that I've missed out on.

isny

napkin dispenser
Does Disney ''vault'' stuff from iTunes, Christopher?

You can't "buy" Disney titles from Apple. You can only get them with the included digital copies when you buy Blu's. (Which means no, the digital copies you have can't get vaulted)

I signed up the other day with these as my initial selections for a total of $21 with two more to buy to complete the membership...

-Brave 3D
-UP 3D
-Whisper of the Heart

The above has shipped, and I'll complete the membership terms getting 9 Blus for around $85 or so, and then do the membership a few more times to get everything else I want that I've missed out on.
Hmm... there are a few titles I'm missing like Ponyo and Home on the Range. I'm tempted to sign up.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o

-Brave 3D
-UP 3D
-Whisper of the Heart

Was there a special promotion I missed? The one I see on the website now lets you pick up:

- 4 for $1
- 1 for $14.99
- 1 for $9.99

and then you still have to pick up at least 3 more in the next year at a price of $29.99 per title.

That comes out to about $116 for 9 titles. Which is still a pretty good deal, but not quite as good as the $85 you detailed.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Was there a special promotion I missed? The one I see on the website now lets you pick up:

- 4 for $1
- 1 for $14.99
- 1 for $9.99

and then you still have to pick up at least 3 more in the next year at a price of $29.99 per title.

That comes out to about $116 for 9 titles. Which is still a pretty good deal, but not quite as good as the $85 you detailed.

I was looking at that too and I think you're still missing a few things. For instance, that fifth movie DOES count towards the 5 you owe them, but the optional 6th title for $9.99 doesn't. So you have to buy 4 movies at $29.99 + $4 for shipping on the first of those and another $1.50 for each additional title, but that's only if you order all 4 at the same time. Otherwise its $4 for each movie shipped. So if this is correct and my math is right, the absolute cheapest you can get out for is $144.50 for 9 movies which is just over $16 per title.

Hex

Banned

-Brave 3D
-UP 3D
-Whisper of the Heart

Yep, joined a bit back.
Picked up Tron OG, Alice , Dumbo, Arietty, and Nausicaa and grabbed Lion King 3D and Lady and the Tramp

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I was looking at that too and I think you're still missing a few things. For instance, that fifth movie DOES count towards the 5 you owe them, but the optional 6th title for $9.99 doesn't. So you have to buy 4 movies at $29.99 + $4 for shipping on the first of those and another $1.50 for each additional title, but that's only if you order all 4 at the same time. Otherwise its $4 for each movie shipped. So if this is correct and my math is right, the absolute cheapest you can get out for is $144.50 for 9 movies which is just over $16 per title.

Right, or $154.45 for 10 movies, which is $15.45 per movie.

Edit: I found a promo code to get the deal the other guys got. Gonna try it out.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I wasn't clear, "Right", was my agreeing with your correction.

Rodger that!

At $16 per title it could still be worth it for some people though. For instance if the movie has been around for awhile and there's no coupons to be had, quiet a few of these movies go for north of $16, especially the 3D versions.

If the math had worked out to something closer to say...$12-13 per title I might have signed up. But as it is...meh

Downhome

- 4 for $1
- 1 for $14.99
- 1 for $9.99

Never, ever ever ever ever sign up to any of those club sites with the standard "deal" that they have as the default when you sign up. It is a huge ripoff, and you'll get screwed. That is how they make money off of those sites.

For the DMC go to this link...

https://disneymovieclub.go.com/weba...hView?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051

And enter this code: 17674B

It changes to, well, reveal the true deal and how to work the program. Instead of the above, you get the following...

-3 "Purchase Commitment" titles required to complete membership
-5 for $1
-1 for $11.95 (this one counts as one of the three commitment titles)
-1 for $8.95
-$21.90/shipped for the initial seven titles

You then have only two more to buy at the higher price, although if you get in on a preorder you can get a commitment title for just $25 or so. This comes to around $89.70 for the completed membership, but less than that if you get in on the even cheaper deals for the commitment titles. It ends up being less than $10 a title, and closer to $8 or $9 if you really maximize the deal.

Also, do NOT use the website to sign up. I mean, it's fine if the titles listed on there are ones that you really want, but to get the most out of it you need to call and place your order over the phone, but still give them the code I mentioned (they'll ask if you have a code). If you are lucky, you can get just about any title that the DMC sells as an enrollment title, it just depends on the CSR. The 3D titles are not able to be selected on the website, but if you call with the specific item numbers they'll go through depending on the CSR. I was denied twice, I tried calling late at night to start with, but on the third call I made the next day around lunch time the CSR went right ahead with it. In addition to 3D titles, you can also get new releases as enrollment titles as well.

If you need any help at all, just let me know. I'm just happy that I can spread this deal. I know what I'm talking about, I've been dealing with clubs like this for at least ten years. Yes, you can get screwed if you just go in with no clue of what is going on, but if you use the codes and do it as you should, you get crazy deals. There is no cheaper way to buy Disney Blus out there, including using the coupons they give out for certain titles on release. Also, keep in mind that for these clubs you MUST decline at least one monthly title or they'll ship it and bill you automatically. It's not a big deal, you just need to remember. They will email you and let you know, or you could just set an alert somehow reminding you once a month. Even if they do ship one out though if you just write refused on it and send it back they credit whatever was charged back to you, so no harm no foul.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Edit: Already covered above.

I had already figured it out with some googling, and was about to detail out the deal, but you did a better job than I could Downhome. Thanks! My first 7 titles have been ordered.

And I was wondering if it was possible to get Lion King 3D some way. Good to know I can give the CSR call a try when I have to order stuff next time.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
gymnastics

Doesn't sound bad. The only thing that worries me and I couldn't find anything about this in the terms is can I complete the deal immediately and shut it down? Or do I have to remain a member for X amount of months, declining their selected titles for awhile before I can buy my last selections?

Downhome

Edit: Already covered above.

I had already figured it out with some googling, and was about to detail out the deal, but you did a better job than I could Downhome. Thanks! My first 7 titles have been ordered.

And I was wondering if it was possible to get Lion King 3D some way. Good to know I can give the CSR call a try when I have to order stuff next time.

Awesome, glad I could help!

Yes, you can get Lion King 3D either as an enrollment (again, depending on the CSR you get on the phone) or once you are a member you can order it as a commitment title.

I'm in my account right now and I have the upcoming Monsters Inc. 3D in my cart and added Lion King 3D. The total for both ends up being $62.34/shipped. I have no clue if Lion King, in that example, would count as a commitment title though, since they have a sale right now and in this example Monsters Inc. 3D is $31.95 and Lion King 3D is $24.95.

The best way to get the most bang for your buck is try your best to get 3D titles as enrollments, then do preorders for your two commitments. It really just depends on how you want to work with it though. Some people will pay on the way lower end like I'm trying to do, some will be on the slightly higher end - it just depends on your selections. Either way though, it's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than what they try to trick people into using the club.

Do you mind my asking what you picked for your first seven titles?

Doesn't sound bad. The only thing that worries me and I couldn't find anything about this in the terms is can I complete the deal immediately and shut it down? Or do I have to remain a member for X amount of months, declining their selected titles for awhile before I can buy my last selections?

Once you buy all of the required commitment titles, you can cancel your account at any time. Once I get my enrollment titles, I'll likely go ahead and buy two more to finish it up then cancel right away. Once you cancel the account, it takes anywhere from a few days to a few weeks for them to purge your account (email address) from the system. In that time, while your account is technically canceled, you can still log in with your email address. If, during that time, you want to sign up once again use a different email address. If you try to use the same one to sign up again, but it is still allowing you to sign in using it on the old account, your new one will not be accepted. If you don't want another shot at it right away, and you wait until they purge your email address from their system, once you realize you can no longer sign in using your email address you can then sign up once again using the same one. In theory, you can sign up, buy your commitment titles, cancel, and then resign up within the same month. There are no requirements as to how long you must have an account with them.

You're joking right? Encoding a 1080p movie using h.264 at file sizes less than 4GB will not yield PQ that is 'close enough' to BD. Laughable.

If I rip a BR of my own and it comes out to 19-20 GB am I getting around the same quality as the file on the disc? I realize all movies are different sizes but if I'm just straight up ripping them with MakeMKV with what I'm assuming is no compression I should be good right? Just started ripping them for my HTPC is the reason why I'm doing it.

Alucrid

Banned
If I rip a BR of my own and it comes out to 19-20 GB am I getting around the same quality as the file on the disc? I realize all movies are different sizes but if I'm just straight up ripping them with MakeMKV with what I'm assuming is no compression I should be good right? Just started ripping them for my HTPC is the reason why I'm doing it.

Yes, it should be the same as far as I know.

Erasus

Imo 5-10 GB encodes with h.264 look great to me.

FOOTE

Finally a confirmation for TLM, awesome. Also, anyone who is in NA interested in Aladdin should take note the EU release could very well be region free, so keep an eye on it.

Christopher

So slated for this year we have:

Peter Pan
Atlantis: The lost empire
The hunchback of Notredam
Mulan
Brother Bear
Wreck it Ralph
The jungle book

Top Bottom