• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Sushigod7

The Disney Movie Club doesn't seem like a good deal.

I think it's a pretty good deal if you watch for sales on the full price BR's. I've seen some that count toward your full price ones go for around 23 or so. Which if you buy a lot of Disney they don't go on sale or dip down much on Amazon. To each their own though that's a pretty good haul up there. I got a few Ghibli DVD's should have just left those till later and got all BR's.

johnsmith

remember me
Are the American Ghibli BD discs region free?

Your packaging is so much nicer than the shitty ones I have here ;_;

blu-ray.com says they are
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Nausicaa-of-the-Valley-of-the-Wind-Blu-ray/10049/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Castle-in-the-Sky-Blu-ray/30357/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Whisper-of-the-Heart-Blu-ray/40283/
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Secret-World-of-Arrietty-Blu-ray/39736/

edit: Ponyo is NOT region free. Region A only. The rest of them are, just looked at my copies of Ponyo, Arrietty, and Nausicaa to confirm, and the site has scans of the backs for the others.

overcast

Not necessarily blu-ray related. But Disney related. Has anybody bought The Art of Pixar postcards? I'm looking into them and am wondering which is preferred. Volume 1 or Volume 2? I love Up and Wall-E if that matters.

Might buy Lion King in other news. Only 20 dollars on Amazon.

Theonik

Are the American Ghibli BD discs region free?

Your packaging is so much nicer than the shitty ones I have here ;_;
All the DVDs are Region 1. I can confirm all 4 BDs are all region free however.
Edit: I don't know about Ponyo as I don't have that one.

NR1

I just wanted to see if anyone else was having major issues getting their Digital Copy of Peter Pan to download? I kept getting an error 5002 (iTunes store is not available) despite the fact that I was able to download the Peter Pan Storybook App, my Flight digital copy, and some songs. I did some searching and found the answer at the below link; in case any of you are still having similar problems. I was able to download my copy based on the provided answer below.

...despite the error message, the Peter Pan title was shortly thereafter available in the "movies" section of my iTunes and available to download from iCloud.

The movie was in my list of purchased movies when i went into the itunes store. Thank you so much for your help everyone!

Definitely was under 'purchased' under the main iTunes account page.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4782741?start=0&tstart=0

Tinabina

The Little Mermaid is this fall, in 3D. The Jungle Book is next spring. Both are Diamond Editions. From the Peter Pan Blu-Ray:

9LiedK1.jpg

zdMSwqJ.jpg
OMFG

Nemesis_

I thought I would summarise this stuff for the coming months, just in case people missed them or wanted a quick place to go.

I found it useful, I hope you guys do too.

FEBRUARY 2013
========
Monsters, Inc. (February 19th, 2013)

Save $8 when you order Monsters, Inc. with an eligible Pixar title (click here for eligible titles)
  • [ 3 Disc Edition ] *DVD Packaging*
    BD / DVD

MARCH 2013
========
Wreck-It Ralph (March 5th, 2013)

Order Wreck it Ralph and an eligible title to save $8 on your total purchase.
--------
Brother Bear / Brother Bear 2 (March 12th, 2013)
--------
Hunchback of Notre Dame (includes II) (March 12th, 2013)
--------
Mulan / Mulan II (March 12th, 2013)
--------
Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (March 12th, 2013)

Quoted for the new page.

But also contemplating ordering the Ghibli films. ;_;

Are any others planned to be brought around? I'm surprised Totoro or Spirited Away haven't happened yet.

t-ramp

I haven't even seen half of these movies. So sad. Might hit up the library tomorrow and see if they have some. I wonder if the video store would have the previously released Blu-rays for rental...

Theonik

Quoted for the new page.

Are any others planned to be brought around? I'm surprised Totoro or Spirited Away haven't happened yet.
Nothing really announced as of yet. Totoro just came out in Japan in July so it will be a bit before Disney can have it ready at their current pace unless they move it to higher priority/rush it. Spirited Away doesn't even have a Japanese BD release so it isn't happening any time soon.

Quoted for the new page.

Disney only releases Ghibli films once a year, so we might not hear anything soon. Wish they would do it twice a year like the Diamond Editions.

Edit: Ponyo was March 2010. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind was March 2011. The Secret World of Arrietty, Castle in the Sky, and Whisper of the Heart were May 2012.

Sushigod7

Quoted for the new page.

I wish they would just release Spirited Away in Japan already so I could order that version. I am planning on getting the Jpn version of Totoro, Spirited Away and Mononoke when it's released. The later might take awhile but it will be faster than Disney.

Theonik

Last year's batch of Ghibli films was announced April 13, 2012, so perhaps around then we will hear something.
Yes they don't seem to be announced that well in advance. These would be the candidates I guess:
My Neighbor Totoro - Japan July 2012 so somewhat less likely
Kiki's Delivery Service - Japan Dec 2012 so pretty unlikely
Omohide Poro Poro - Japan Dec 2012 so pretty unlikely
My Neighbors the Yamadas
Howl's Moving Castle
Gedo Senki (Tales From Earthsea)

They don't seem to have any fixed number of releases though so I can be 1 film like it was with Nausicaa, 3 like last time or whatever.

You left out Only Yesterday. Oh wait. :\ Damn Japanese titles, this isn't MAL. >_> Still, unless they decide to dub it I don't think they are ever going to release it.

Yes they don't seem to be announced that well in advance. These would be the candidates I guess:
My Neighbors the Yamadas
Howl's Moving Castle

They don't seem to have any fixed number of releases though so I can be 1 film like it was with Nausicaa, 3 like last time or whatever.

I thought Disney's deal expired?

What the hell is it with Aladdin's blu-ray release anyway? Whatever.

529475_10200595249662441_604038132_n.jpg

Got the DVD case version... Only because that's what I did for B&TB and Lion King. Gotta be consistent, you know.

Theonik

You left out Only Yesterday. Oh wait. :\ Damn Japanese titles, this isn't MAL. >_> Still, unless they decide to dub it I don't think they are ever going to release it.
This is just me being lazy and copying the list of current releases in Japan and removing the ones already out or licensed by someone else. (ie, Grave of the Fireflies)

Nemesis_

Isn't Atlantis coming out March 13th as well, or is that later? Getting Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Wreck-It Ralph.

I scoured Amazon's site for a listing but couldn't find anything. I thought it was pushed back, if only because about wvg94892322 other titles were out that day

My Neighbors the Yamadas
Howl's Moving Castle

This list makes me glad that Disney isn't handling the UK releases of the Studio Ghibli films, we already have My Neighbor Totoro, My Neighbors the Yamadas, Howl's Moving Castle and Tales From Earthsea.

We also didn't get the god awful US Arrietty dub that Disney did where they changed some of the characters names and added a stupid pop song to the end.

This list makes me glad that Disney isn't handling the UK releases of the Studio Ghibli films, we already have My Neighbor Totoro, My Neighbors the Yamadas, Howl's Moving Castle and Tales From Earthsea.

We also didn't get the god awful US Arrietty dub that Disney did where they changed some of the characters names and added a stupid pop song to the end.
If Disney was distributing them in the U.K., they would probably still come out sooner than here. The U.K. has a different Blu-ray region code, so there is less concern for reverse importation.

Theonik

If Disney was distributing them in the U.K., they would probably still come out sooner than here. The U.K. has a different Blu-ray region code, so there is less concern for reverse importation.
Besides, I'd rather have Disney doing them as the UK releases are junk.

Besides, I'd rather have Disney doing them as the UK releases are junk.

How are they junk? Because they cleaned them up a bit? Disney remove all the grain from their own films so it's not like it's not done. Least Studio Canal don't go around changing characters names and adding cheesy pop songs to credits like Disney did with Arrietty.

Theonik

How are they junk? Because they cleaned them up a bit? Disney remove all the grain from their own films so it's not like it's not done. Least Studio Canal don't go around changing characters names and adding cheesy pop songs to credits like Disney did with Arrietty.
It's not just a bit, the amount of DNR they employ is pretty excessive. They also got the colours wrong. Disney also employs DNR on their own releases but it's a lot more reserved compared to what the UK Ghibli ones get.

Why is it taking them so long when it's likely their most famous movie?
Holding them back for impact I guess. They are in no rush to have those out first.

JdFoX187

Banned
I am sad to admit that of all the Disney blus I've bought, which is all of their classics, most of their Pixar output and CG stuff, I've only watched Lion King, Up, Incredibles and Tangled. The rest of it all just sits on my shelf. I really need to take a weekend and plow through them all.

Sushigod7

I am sad to admit that of all the Disney blus I've bought, which is all of their classics, most of their Pixar output and CG stuff, I've only watched Lion King, Up, Incredibles and Tangled. The rest of it all just sits on my shelf. I really need to take a weekend and plow through them all.

Same here I have spent a lot of time and money collecting and not watching. lol glad I'm not the only one.

Top Bottom