• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Any idea when Hercules and Aladdin will be dropping?

I figure its doubtful we will ever see Return of Jafar and King of Thieves

Why? They've released all the other sequels so far. Lion King, Cinderella, Fox & the Hound, Pocahontas, Beauty & the Beast, and soon we'll have Mulan, Atlantis, Hunchback, and I think Brother Bear, too. There's no reason to doubt they'll release the Aladdin sequels.

johnsmith

remember me
Is this worth taking into account, most people just brushed past it? Is it false?

It's completely normal outside the US. Only we get good covers. UK covers are pure garbage too, see Peter Pan.

81rEGNBMAHL._AA1500_.jpg
61ddJpPpQXL.jpg

Christopher

If I wanted to sell some of my old Disney movies on Blu-ray like sleeping beauty Pinocchio Fantasia snow white how much do you think I could get for these titles

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Why is Disney not releasing all of their titles in BR first before re-releasing already released titles :<

Theonik

Why is Disney not releasing all of their titles in BR first before re-releasing already released titles :<
Re-printing stuff is easy and doesn't really hurt the sales potential of recent stuff. New releases have a long restoration and mastering process as well as the concern that they only have as many so it's better for them to maximise their sales by releasing them in small doses so they don't kill each other.

What else is coming in the remainder of February and March?

I think the only one that comes to mind is Hunchback.
Hunchback, Mulan, Atlantis, Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and Wreck-It Ralph, off the top of my head. Might be more. March is PACKED.

Edit: Brother Bear is out in March as well.

Suairyu

Banned
It's completely normal outside the US. Only we get good covers. UK covers are pure garbage too, see Peter Pan.
The cover is garbage because Peter Pan wasn't a diamond release in the UK. It doesn't have special features.

... and I'm fucking furious about it.

Is Peter Pan US blu region free? Might have to import this one.

Vyer

You're joking right? Encoding a 1080p movie using h.264 at file sizes less than 4GB will not yield PQ that is 'close enough' to BD. Laughable.

I've seen them in comparison and the link has some information. Yes, for the general public it's very close. *shrug*. You can believe what you want, doesn't make a difference to me.

I use my Apple TV and let me tell you it's not bad at all it looks great to me plus to have them in one place is awesome

Yup.

Thank you.

If only the fucking thing would work. I have entered all my codes, installed the software (AGAIN! I have to install it every damn coupon I print over the months), etc but it still says "please set a default printer."

I JUST WANT TO PRINT MY FUCKING COUPON! I have followed their damn directions, but it still will not print. I HATE (not strong enough a word) using their program. It drives me nuts every time I use it.

DJ_Lae

God damn it, I accidently got Peter Pan blu in the dvd case

I did that with the first two Toy Story movies, because at the time I was able to stack coupons and paid $8 apiece for them, and if I had gone the Blu-ray case route I would have paid more than double.

I still regret it.

Nemesis_

I thought I would summarise this stuff for the coming months, just in case people missed them or wanted a quick place to go.

I found it useful, I hope you guys do too.

FEBRUARY 2013
========
Monsters, Inc. (February 19th, 2013)

Save $8 when you order Monsters, Inc. with an eligible Pixar title (click here for eligible titles)
  • [ 3 Disc Edition ] *DVD Packaging*
    BD / DVD

MARCH 2013
========
Wreck-It Ralph (March 5th, 2013)

Order Wreck it Ralph and an eligible title to save $8 on your total purchase.
--------
Brother Bear / Brother Bear 2 (March 12th, 2013)
--------
Hunchback of Notre Dame (includes II) (March 12th, 2013)
--------
Mulan / Mulan II (March 12th, 2013)
--------
Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (March 12th, 2013)

bryanee

I have Lion King 3D Disney Movie reward code for anyone that would like it, its a USA one so I cant use it.

XHAHMRYL7PHL

The uk version requires the last six digits of the barcode so here it is in full incase its the same for the States.

7 8693681245 9

Nemesis_

Nicely done!

Wasn't Atlantis: The Lost Empire also releasing on March 12th, or was that just a rumor?

I scrolled back pretty far through the Animation category on Amazon. Couldn't find it :/

Keep in mind with my lists (which I will attempt to do semi-regularly) that they are the best option for me as I am in Australia and have started collecting my Disney blu-rays exclusively from the US (due to their covers and slipcases and such).

Additionally, Amazon is the only seller who I can actually buy them from at a proper, decent price.

FOOTE

I have Lion King 3D Disney Movie reward code for anyone that would like it, its a USA one so I cant use it.

XHAHMRYL7PHL

The uk version requires the last six digits of the barcode so here it is in full incase its the same for the States.

7 8693681245 9

Someone used the US code. Thanks for posting though.

ghostmind

I scrolled back pretty far through the Animation category on Amazon. Couldn't find it :/

Keep in mind with my lists (which I will attempt to do semi-regularly) that they are the best option for me as I am in Australia and have started collecting my Disney blu-rays exclusively from the US (due to their covers and slipcases and such).

Additionally, Amazon is the only seller who I can actually buy them from at a proper, decent price.

I looked into it - apparently its been delayed until later in the year. It could have been that 4 releases in one day was enough.

So are there any super duper fantastic MUST HAVE Disney Blu-rays?
I'm talking in terms of everything from commentaries to image quality to tons of quality special features to just holding up as a great movie.

I'm looking to start expanding my Disney blu-ray library, but I'm not sure where to start. I know the Pixar movies are all pretty great packages, but I'm not sure how the older films are, any of those really stand out to people?

DJ_Lae

So are there any super duper fantastic MUST HAVE Disney Blu-rays?
I'm talking in terms of everything from commentaries to image quality to tons of quality special features to just holding up as a great movie.

I'm looking to start expanding my Disney blu-ray library, but I'm not sure where to start. I know the Pixar movies are all pretty great packages, but I'm not sure how the older films are, any of those really stand out to people?

Sleeping Beauty doesn't have the greatest story but it's by far the best looking of the older Disney movies. It's looks downright gorgeous.

Some of the later era ones (prior to Little Mermaid I guess) look really rough in comparison. Fox and the Hound is downright ugly.

In terms of holding up as a complete package, can't go wrong with The Lion King. Story, music, animation, all fantastic.

Sleeping Beauty doesn't have the greatest story but it's by far the best looking of the older Disney movies. It's looks downright gorgeous.

Some of the later era ones (prior to Little Mermaid I guess) look really rough in comparison. Fox and the Hound is downright ugly.

In terms of holding up as a complete package, can't go wrong with The Lion King. Story, music, animation, all fantastic.

Oh yeah, Lion King is high on my list. I remember seeing a ton of Disney films as a kid, but I barely remember most of them. I do recall enjoying Sleeping Beauty a lot.

What kind of Special Features do the older films tend to have? Do they include commentaries or behind the scenes or are they too old to have much of those?

Downhome

I just bought the set with the figure at Walmart for $11 using the $7 off coupon. The tag said like $28 or so, but scanned at the lower price.

Oh, and yes, the BD is sealed inside the pack.

PBBVF7h.jpg

Oozer3993

Oh yeah, Lion King is high on my list. I remember seeing a ton of Disney films as a kid, but I barely remember most of them. I do recall enjoying Sleeping Beauty a lot.

What kind of Special Features do the older films tend to have? Do they include commentaries or behind the scenes or are they too old to have much of those?

Sleeping Beauty, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Fantasia all have audio commentaries with the first three featuring what Disney call "Cine-Explore" which mixes an audio commentary with video and pictures. All Disney Blu-rays come with a bunch of special features. Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, and Pinocchio all even have a second Blu-ray disc just for Special Features. Those features can range from documentaries, to deleted songs and scenes, to famous Disney shorts like Steamboat Willie (on the Snow White 2nd disc) and The Old Mill (On the Bambi disc). Sleeping Beauty even includes the full 29 minute long Oscar winning live action Grand Canyon short that ran before it in theaters during its original run. Disney really does a great job with bonus features for their Blu-rays.

Downhome

Do any of you guys do the Disney Blu-ray club?

I signed up the other day with these as my initial selections for a total of $21 with two more to buy to complete the membership...

-Brave 3D
-Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
-The Nightmare Before Christmas 3D
-The Rescuers: 35th Anniversary Edition
-The Secret World of Arrietty
-UP 3D
-Whisper of the Heart

The above has shipped, and I'll complete the membership terms getting 9 Blus for around $85 or so, and then do the membership a few more times to get everything else I want that I've missed out on.

My order showed up today!

rMf7Qrj.jpg

In addition to the BDs, I got 8 DMR codes - one in each of the seven BDs of course, and then one tossed in with the other paperwork. I have no clue if that is normal or not. It also came with a cool Fantasia 3D lenticular card. I also bought Peter Pan at Walmart today for $11 with the figure, and got yet another DMR code in that. Woohoo!

johnsmith

remember me
I just bought the set with the figure at Walmart for $11 using the $7 off coupon. The tag said like $28 or so, but scanned at the lower price.

Oh, and yes, the BD is sealed inside the pack.

PBBVF7h.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. Just grabbed this for 13.19 after tax. Glad I cancelled my amazon preorder.

Top Bottom