• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

RkOwnage

I am sad to admit that of all the Disney blus I've bought, which is all of their classics, most of their Pixar output and CG stuff, I've only watched Lion King, Up, Incredibles and Tangled. The rest of it all just sits on my shelf. I really need to take a weekend and plow through them all.

right there with ya!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Where is Lilo & Stitch? :(

It's on Vudu HDX.
If you have the DVD, then you can buy it for $5. EDIT: I just checked and it's actually excluded from the disc-to-digital program.

Several other movies that aren't on Blu are on there, also. (Tarzan, The Sword in the Stone, Oliver and Company...) The Black Cauldron is, too, and I don't see that ever getting a Blu-ray release.

Is there any reason to get the new Monsters Inc. release that's coming if you already got it when it was first released? New features? New digital render?

Finally bought Brave 3D yesterday, and pre-ordered Monsters Inc. 3D too.

Kinda cheerful about that :)

oi bad the movie was just OK.=/(brave) monster inc is great.

Is there any reason to get the new Monsters Inc. release that's coming if you already got it when it was first released? New features? New digital render?

English: Dolby TrueHD 7.1
1. Toy Story Toons: Partysaurus Rex 3d+2d)
2. For The Birds (3d + 2d)
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=90851&page=30
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Monsters-Inc-3D-Blu-ray/59991/#Review

I hope soon

Its my favourite disney movie, but well, sometimes it seems like Disney wants to forget it or something like that. Theres ZERO things in disneyland parks from it or merchandising, while the majority of movies of the 2nd golden era have something, so even if its little they are still represented in someway.

I'm really, really excited for Roger Rabbit on BluRay. I just rewatched it and I was surprised at how muddy the animation appears sometimes. The BRD, I assume, will be all fixed up and shiny and the 2D animation clear and crisp.

I'm really, really excited for Roger Rabbit on BluRay. I just rewatched it and I was surprised at how muddy the animation appears sometimes. The BRD, I assume, will be all fixed up and shiny and the 2D animation clear and crisp.

If doen right it can be amazing. i cant wait to see the great animation and art in all of its splendour.

qindarka

Banned
Its my favourite disney movie, but well, sometimes it seems like Disney wants to forget it or something like that. Theres ZERO things in disneyland parks from it or merchandising, while the majority of movies of the 2nd golden era have something, so even if its little they are still represented in someway.

It wasn't very successful, I think it was the worst performing movie of the Disney Renaissance. I'm sure it will come out on Bluray sooner or later though.

It wasn't very successful, I think it was the worst performing movie of the Disney Renaissance. I'm sure it will come out on Bluray sooner or later though.

Worse than rescuers and other movies that have gotten bluray releases? Or is it too big of a name that they would have to make it a better release?

qindarka

Banned
Worse than rescuers and other movies that have gotten bluray releases? Or is it too big of a name that they would have to make it a better release?

The Rescuers was actually very successful back in 1977. Probably less well-known now though so you might have a point. Perhaps they want representation from different eras in their releases.

It wasnt, but it has gained a cult following because of the humour used and its unusual characters for a disney movie, and Hades is one of the most loved villians of all Disney. Im pretty sure they know that, or thats what I hope lol.

That Little Mermaid logo is so fucked.

1. The Disney on top of the Little Mermaid text.
2. "The" is centered on "Little Mermaid" eventhough
3. There's another awkwardly placed "3D" text below it.

Fuck you Disney whoever designed this should get trapped on the It's A Small World ride for eternity.

That Little Mermaid logo is so fucked.

1. The Disney on top of the Little Mermaid text.
2. "The" is centered on "Little Mermaid" eventhough
3. There's another awkwardly placed "3D" text below it.

Fuck you Disney whoever designed this should get trapped on the It's A Small World ride for eternity.

At least is better than the horrendous character art they used for movies like aladdin in the vhs and some dvds where the faces where all fucked up.

The Rescuers was actually very successful back in 1977. Probably less well-known now though so you might have a point. Perhaps they want representation from different eras in their releases.

Ya, I mean I love Rescuers but I don't think most people know/care about the film. I would think that Hercules has bigger name recognition than movies like rescuers does. I don't know how much they value the movie though so I'm not sure if that would have to be a diamond's collection or a more normal release like Rescuers.

Christopher

Hercules is one of my favorites too...u was at Disney in April and nothing in the parks I THINK I saw a hades sign in Hollywood studios...during the light show.

Tarzan is never really represented either and Meg was the original anti feminist before the chucky doll in brave

Pachinko

I picked up Treasure Planet for cheap yesterday and just watched it. Not bad at all for a later disney film, I think it gets kind of passed over and neglected because it came out awful close to Pirates of the Caribbean which is a much better film that features pirates.

I can see why disney 2D animation kind of faltered though, this movie looked very expensive and I don't recall it did very well. For my next trick I should check out Atlantis.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I picked up Treasure Planet for cheap yesterday and just watched it. Not bad at all for a later disney film, I think it gets kind of passed over and neglected because it came out awful close to Pirates of the Caribbean which is a much better film that features pirates.

I can see why disney 2D animation kind of faltered though, this movie looked very expensive and I don't recall it did very well. For my next trick I should check out Atlantis.

I love this one too, but it's probably my Stevenson blood talking more than any sort of rationality

Suairyu

Banned
How are they junk? Because they cleaned them up a bit? Disney remove all the grain from their own films so it's not like it's not done. Least Studio Canal don't go around changing characters names and adding cheesy pop songs to credits like Disney did with Arrietty.
DNR I could forgive somewhat as Studio Canal doesn't go overboard. Some of the fine details are definitely lost if you frame-analyse, but you can't notice it in motion.

But it's the alterations to the colour timing that fucks me off the most. Unforgivable.

Theonik

So it seems like Totoro and Howl's Moving castle are confirmed with Amazon listings and cover art for May 21st now So I guess that's that.
Thanks Articalys
And right as I got Totoro from Japan too. Oh well no harm done they are gorgeous releases!

Theonik

Damn, was hoping they'd go with Kiki's Delivery Service over Howl's Moving Castle.
Kiki is too new to happen, looking at my list now, Howl's was the obvious first choice for them due to how popular it is in the west then the Yamadas were probably off so the next one on the chain would be Totoro. Earthsea Disney probably doesn't care about either so they skip it.

Before the fact I'd have thought it would have been Howl plus another or just Howl.
Either way I got my copy of Only Yesterday, Kiki, and Totoro from Japan today so I'm not too bothered. Probably won't bite for Howl.

Fantastic. Just pre-ordered both Howl's and Totoro. Howl's is far from Miyazaki's best film, but it's a great adventure movie ,and I still really enjoyed it.

I prefer the UK cover for Totoro and actually they haven't scrubbed the grain either in the UK version, so perhaps going forward they won't do that any more.

f8T6khd.jpg

Guessing the UK might see Kiki this year since it was released in Japan in December.

Sushigod7

So it seems like Totoro and Howl's Moving castle are confirmed with Amazon listings and cover art for May 21st now So I guess that's that.
Thanks Articalys
And right as I got Totoro from Japan too. Oh well no harm done they are gorgeous releases!

Hell yeah just pre-ordered both was very close to importing both of these. I'll settle for US release to save some cash. Can't wait!

SCReuter

BN is having a 50% sale on kid's movies, and disney blu-rays are included.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s?aref=1524&dref=1050&pro=1450

Home on the Range, Chicken Little and Treasure Planet are only 9.99. Not the greatest movies, but good prices for those collecting the entire canon.

Thanks! Grabbing Treasure Planet now. May throw in Home on the Range later.

Edit: The discount price doesn't seem to apply to in-store pickups. Grr.

BN is having a 50% sale on kid's movies, and disney blu-rays are included.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s?aref=1524&dref=1050&pro=1450

Home on the Range, Chicken Little and Treasure Planet are only 9.99. Not the greatest movies, but good prices for those collecting the entire canon.

Thank you! Filling out my collection before the March tidal wave. Got Home on the Range and Treasure Planet for $10 each and Pete's Dragon for $15.

Also, though it's not Disney, ParaNorman's 3D set is $24 there, which is currently the cheapest price anywhere for it. (normally goes for $32-35) And the Complete Set for Powerpuff Girls is $30, which is also the cheapest price I believe it's ever been. JUST A HEAD'S UP.

Top Bottom