• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Suairyu

Banned
Well, Pocahintas is the only one based on an actual person.
A person whose life has become so mythologised in history, even by her contemporaries at the time, that it doesn't really matter.

Truthfully, she's an insignificant, boring person in terms of history. She became fascinating as people started layering story after story on her. Disney simply continued that tradition.

But yeah, bastardizing fiction doesn't feel as dirty as bastardizing nonfiction.
Feels dirtier to me. Fairy tales have a purpose, a moral, a lesson. History is just history - we make it important in our telling.

Turning something to legend by omitting, altering or inventing details is the oldest of human storytelling traditions. Almost all the Great early tales of our species originate from the practice.

This is a silly complaint. All the Disney adaptations are horrifically bastardised versions of their inspirations.

By no means is it the first piece of fiction to portray this fake romance, but that doesn't mean it's immune from criticism for it. The life of Pocahontas is well-documented, and compelling in its own right. There's no need to invent a bunch of stupid bullshit to make it interesting.

But anyways, if you want to turn a platonic friendship between a 10-year-old native girl and a 27-year-old Englishman into a romance, fine, but at least make it compelling. Pocahontas and John Smith, as Disney characters, are really goddamned dull.

Chromax

I need to pick up Lion king soon. Should I go for the standard one or the box set with the 3 movies? Can anyone even recommend the 2 sequels?

I need to pick up Lion king soon. Should I go for the standard one or the box set with the 3 movies? Can anyone even recommend the 2 sequels?

My memory is a little hazy but I recall LK2 being a piece of shit, where as LK 1&1/2 was actually pretty enjoyable. So I just have those two.

Or, to put it another way, it's the only Disney sequel that wasn't forced on me in a 2-pack that I went out of my way to buy. The only other ones I'd do that with would be the Aladdin trilogy.

Cheerilee

Simba's underage daughter falls in love with Scar's illegitimate bastard son.

Most of the Disney sequels in general aren't great, they usually have some big flaws, the budgets aren't great, and they tend to play it safe and pull some of their punches at the worst times. But I think they're almost all compelling enough to watch once.

You could just buy the box set as an excuse to watch the sequels, or if you want your collection to reflect your sense of taste and have as few turkeys as possible, then you should really be informed as to whether the sequels meet your sense of taste or not before making your purchase, in which case maybe you could check Netflix or your local library.

Downhome

Do any of you guys do the Disney Blu-ray club?

I signed up the other day with these as my initial selections for a total of $21 with two more to buy to complete the membership...

-Brave 3D
-Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
-The Nightmare Before Christmas 3D
-The Rescuers: 35th Anniversary Edition
-The Secret World of Arrietty
-UP 3D
-Whisper of the Heart

The above has shipped, and I'll complete the membership terms getting 9 Blus for around $85 or so, and then do the membership a few more times to get everything else I want that I've missed out on.

Never, ever ever ever ever sign up to any of those club sites with the standard "deal" that they have as the default when you sign up. It is a huge ripoff, and you'll get screwed. That is how they make money off of those sites.

For the DMC go to this link...

https://disneymovieclub.go.com/weba...hView?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051

And enter this code: 17674B

It changes to, well, reveal the true deal and how to work the program. Instead of the above, you get the following...

-3 "Purchase Commitment" titles required to complete membership
-5 for $1
-1 for $11.95 (this one counts as one of the three commitment titles)
-1 for $8.95
-$21.90/shipped for the initial seven titles

You then have only two more to buy at the higher price, although if you get in on a preorder you can get a commitment title for just $25 or so. This comes to around $89.70 for the completed membership, but less than that if you get in on the even cheaper deals for the commitment titles. It ends up being less than $10 a title, and closer to $8 or $9 if you really maximize the deal.

Also, do NOT use the website to sign up. I mean, it's fine if the titles listed on there are ones that you really want, but to get the most out of it you need to call and place your order over the phone, but still give them the code I mentioned (they'll ask if you have a code). If you are lucky, you can get just about any title that the DMC sells as an enrollment title, it just depends on the CSR. The 3D titles are not able to be selected on the website, but if you call with the specific item numbers they'll go through depending on the CSR. I was denied twice, I tried calling late at night to start with, but on the third call I made the next day around lunch time the CSR went right ahead with it. In addition to 3D titles, you can also get new releases as enrollment titles as well.

If you need any help at all, just let me know. I'm just happy that I can spread this deal. I know what I'm talking about, I've been dealing with clubs like this for at least ten years. Yes, you can get screwed if you just go in with no clue of what is going on, but if you use the codes and do it as you should, you get crazy deals. There is no cheaper way to buy Disney Blus out there, including using the coupons they give out for certain titles on release. Also, keep in mind that for these clubs you MUST decline at least one monthly title or they'll ship it and bill you automatically. It's not a big deal, you just need to remember. They will email you and let you know, or you could just set an alert somehow reminding you once a month. Even if they do ship one out though if you just write refused on it and send it back they credit whatever was charged back to you, so no harm no foul.

Just to followup on this, if any of you are interested...

I completed my first membership today. My average price per BD was higher than what it could have been, but only because I decided to buy 3D titles as my commitments. In the end, I got the following for a total of $91.24, or an average of $10.14 a BD...

-Brave 3D
-Monsters Inc. 3D
-Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
-The Nightmare Before Christmas 3D
-The Rescuers: 35th Anniversary Edition
-The Secret World of Arrietty
-UP 3D
-Whisper of the Heart
-Wreck-It-Ralph 3D

In addition to the above, I also got this exclusive Dumbo plush for free for ordering two combo packs at the same time (MI3D and WIR3D, my commitment titles)...

yM0xo6W.jpg

So in the end I got five Disney 3DBD titles, three Studio Ghibli BDs, another Disney BD combo pack that goes for up to $30 on Amazon depending on the day, and the Dumbo plush for $91.24. Heck, if you count the plush in the average it ended up being $9.12 an item.

You can't beat that anywhere! I'll be canceling my membership once WIR shows up in the mail later this week, then signing up once again for another round.

NR1

Target is going to have the blu-ray/dvd combo of Wreck it Ralph for 19.99. 12.99 after the coupon. Good deal for those of us that don't care about 3d.

Coupon says its for the Combo Pack and has a photo of the "Ultimate Collectors Edition" (Blu/DVD/3D/Digital) on it... can this be used on the "Collectors Edition" (Blu/DVD)?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Simba's underage daughter falls in love with Scar's illegitimate bastard son.

Wat.
I always thought that Scar was gay. Simba was away for years and Scar apparently never had any cubs when he was surrounded by lionesses that whole time. Plus he was pretty effeminate.

johnsmith

remember me
Coupon says its for the Combo Pack and has a photo of the "Ultimate Collectors Edition" (Blu/DVD/3D/Digital) on it... can this be used on the "Collectors Edition" (Blu/DVD)?

It says Wreck-it Ralph combo pack, doesn't say which specific combo pack. I had no trouble using the Peter Pan coupon on Walmart's special 2 disc edition with the toy, so I doubt I'll have any trouble with Wreck it Ralph.

Wat.
I always thought that Scar was gay. Simba was away for years and Scar apparently never had any cubs when he was surrounded by lionesses that whole time. Plus he was pretty effeminate.
He has a son in TLK2, though it's not the lion Simba's daughter falls in love with. Disney realized the implication of having Scar's son hook up with Simba's daughter, so they said he was just a part of Scar's pride and his hand(paw)-picked apprentice.

overcast

Man, why isn't the coupon printer thing working? It keeps telling me to install the coupon printer even though I did.. Any ideas?

qindarka

Banned
Wat.

Don't expect the plots of Disney DTV sequels to make sense or be faithful to the original. They expect us to believe that that whole time, Scar had another tribe of outcast lions. Right....
Though I don't think Scar is gay, a deleted scene, which was later included in the Broadway musical, had him try to take Nala as his Queen, which got her kicked out of the pride when she rejected him.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Man, why isn't the coupon printer thing working? It keeps telling me to install the coupon printer even though I did.. Any ideas?

I don't know. But when I tried printing Disney coupons from my netbook a couple years ago it said that I can't print from a mobile device, even though it's a full Windows 7 (64-bit) PC.

Christopher

Mulan FINALLY up to purchase at the iTunes store...it comes and goes but once you have it you have it.

On my apple tv, ipod and ipad <3.

LadyRiven

This is also true.

It's almost certainly the worst film in the Disney Renaissance.

I actually agree. I was really disappointed in Pocahontas, and I think the problem is that it came a trio of absolutely incredible films - Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King. I don't even feel like Disney's managed to really top those films since then, but that's just my personal opinion.

My copy of Monsters Inc 3D finally turned up today, and thanks to the DMR code I had enough for another free Blu Ray... so I've got Cinderella Platinum Edition winging its way to me.

johnsmith

remember me
Is that $19.99 price likely at Best Buy too? I have a $20 Reward Zone certificate that's about to expire.

For Wreck It Ralph? Nope, prices are:

Collector's Edition (Blu+DVD) $22.99
Ultimate Collector's Edition (3D Blu+Blu+DVD+DC) $27.99

You could try a price match though.

qindarka

Banned
I actually agree. I was really disappointed in Pocahontas, and I think the problem is that it came a trio of absolutely incredible films - Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King. I don't even feel like Disney's managed to really top those films since then, but that's just my personal opinion.

I don't think they have ever managed to match their incredible streak from The Little Mermaid to The Lion King. They've still made quite a few good movies since then .and I feel people sometimes unfairly write off their output after The Lion King.

netguy503

For Wreck It Ralph? Nope, prices are:

Collector's Edition (Blu+DVD) $22.99
Ultimate Collector's Edition (3D Blu+Blu+DVD+DC) $27.99

You could try a price match though.

So Wreck it Ralph 3D will be $21 after coupon? I'm in.

Edit: I hope I can get a refund from Toys R Us for my preorder card. God, I hate that store.

I don't think they have ever managed to match their incredible streak from The Little Mermaid to The Lion King. They've still made quite a few good movies since then .and I feel people sometimes unfairly write off their output after The Lion King.
The funny thing is how people tend to forget Rescuers Down Under was sandwiched between Mermaid and Beast. It's a great movie, I'd easily put it up there with the other four Disney renaissance films, but it was a disaster at the box office.

Disney's track record as a CGI studio has been pretty good. Chicken Little is kind of dumb but from Bolt onward (I haven't seen Meet the Robinsons) I've enjoyed them a lot. WIR was no exception, they've surpassed Pixar now.

The funny thing is how people tend to forget Rescuers Down Under was sandwiched between Mermaid and Beast. It's a great movie, I'd easily put it up there with the other four Disney renaissance films, but it was a disaster at the box office.

Disney's track record as a CGI studio has been pretty good. Chicken Little is kind of dumb but from Bolt onward (I haven't seen Meet the Robinsons) I've enjoyed them a lot. WIR was no exception, they've surpassed Pixar now.

Bolt was alright. Meet the Robinsons is definitely one of my favorite Disney CGI movies.

qindarka

Banned

I'm a very big fan of The Rescuers Down Under as well. Can't blame people for not remembering it, though, considering the fact that it was a financial failure and how different it was from the rest of the films in that period.

I've also noticed that lots of people have also forgotten about the Winnie the Pooh movie in 2011, if they even knew about it in the first place. I like it but it seems to be an oddity, it feels like a minor project that they just made to fill in the 2011 slot that would otherwise be empty.

Mulan is incredible why would people write it off

Mulan seems to be the most highly regarded film from the latter half of the Disney Renaissance, but like all Disney films after The Lion King, a good number of people simply dismiss it altogether.

Ok, maybe this sentiment isn't as common as I'm making it out to be.

Speaking of Mulan, is it only me who finds that the movie feels rather small-scale despite the fact that it is about a war. They probably blew their budget on the scene where
the Hunnish hordes are riding down the mountains, the Chinese army feels like it consists of 10 people throughout.

Roger Rabbit OMG. I haven't seen that in a decade.

When they gave it the bells & whistles DVD release (one of the first DVDs I ever bought was the barebones), they split it into two discs: One for "Grown-ups" and one for "children." The main differences were, if I remember right: Grownups got anamorphic widescreen, commentaries and behind-the-scenes docs/deleted scenes. Children got Pan & Scan, games 'n' such.

Curious as to if they'll do that for this blu-ray. Doubtful, but I hope it's the case if only to keep the dependent hope alive that the original version of Roger Rabbit will finally see home video release.

(I have the Laserdisc to this day mostly because it's the only way to own the unedited theatrical cut)

TAJ

Disney really doesn't give a fuck about it either.
It was a CAPS movie but it's a sub-par transfer of a lousy film source on Blu-ray. At least it's not as shunned as The Black Cauldron, or in It-Never-Happened-Land with Song of the South.

Disney really doesn't give a fuck about it either.
It was a CAPS movie but it looks nasty on Blu-ray. At least it's not as shunned as The Black Cauldron, or in It-Never-Happened-Land with Song of the South.

I really wish Disney would do a limited release of Song of the South on Blu-ray.

TAJ

I really wish Disney would do a limited release of Song of the South on Blu-ray.

So not happening. :( They wouldn't even license that out. I saw it in a theater way back, though.
But like I said earler in this thread, The Black Cauldron is on Vudu. They have the best streaming quality I've ever seen. I haven't seen it, but it should look great because that movie was shot on a Vistavision-level negative area.

Nemesis_

is Brother Bear good? I am strapped for cash and wanting to secure the slipcases for my favourites, but I am wondering if I should bother since I've never seen it.

How many of you are rebuying them on Blu-Ray if you already have them on DVD? Is it worth it?

Yes. Not just in special features but animated films are IMO the only thing really worth buying on BluRays because of the detail.

is Brother Bear good? I am strapped for cash and wanting to secure the slipcases for my favourites, but I am wondering if I should bother since I've never seen it.

It's alright. I don't remember the last time I watched it but it's just... it's not anything spectacular. Not terrible but alright. It was getting towards the end of Disney's theatrical 2D efforts and the crews on it and Home on the Range were a little... disheartened.

*brain breaks*

Ok that was a generalization, let me elaborate.

Watching The Proposal on BluRay is, IMO, a waste of the format. Watching something like Sleeping Beauty, or Monster's Inc, or even animation-heavy live-action movies like Transformers, is worth it. The clarity of the hand-drawn animation, being able to pause and read the text in the background from CGI movies that would be impossible to see otherwise, etc. Details that artists worked on that you would never see on a DVD. But I don't give a shit about watching RV or Twilight in 1080p.

I realize there are "normal" movies that have gorgeous cinematography, and those are the exceptions, but for the most part I feel that VFX-heavy movies are the only real reason for me to give a shit about BluRay. As one of my friends said, "I don't need to see the cracks in someone's caked-on make-up."

Risette

A Good Citizen
Ok that was a generalization, let me elaborate.

Watching The Proposal on BluRay is, IMO, a waste of the format. Watching something like Sleeping Beauty, or Monster's Inc, or even animation-heavy live-action movies like Transformers, is worth it. The clarity of the hand-drawn animation, being able to pause and read the text in the background from CGI movies that would be impossible to see otherwise, etc. Details that artists worked on that you would never see on a DVD. But I don't get a shit about watching RV or Twilight in 1080p.

I realize there are "normal" movies that have gorgeous cinematography, and those are the exceptions, but for the most part I feel that VFX-heavy movies are the only real reason for me to give a shit about BluRay. As one of my friends said, "I don't need to see the cracks in someone's caked-on make-up."
image.php

Top Bottom