• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

DJ_Lae

They've really put the brakes on coupons up here in Canada in the past year or two, or else I've just been paying less attention than before.

Having said that, at least the price of the movies is a little less than before. The 3D version of Wreck it Ralph for $27 is a decent chunk less than 3D Disney movies are up here.

johnsmith

remember me

Amazon will have coupons for about a week on most major Disney releases soon after preorders go up. They are only available for a short time so you have to keep your eye on this thread or blu-ray.com to catch them. A lot
of times they are even for more than the physical coupon.

They've really put the brakes on coupons up here in Canada in the past year or two, or else I've just been paying less attention than before.

Having said that, at least the price of the movies is a little less than before. The 3D version of Wreck it Ralph for $27 is a decent chunk less than 3D Disney movies are up here.

Where did you see it for $27? I keep seeing $35 and have held off

DJ_Lae

Where did you see it for $27? I keep seeing $35 and have held off

I was dollar off - it hit $27.99 on Amazon.ca just before its release and that's what they charged me. I'm not sure if they price matched incorrectly or what, as everywhere else had it for $35 that I could see.

It looks like it's back up to that now.

edit - Amazon also had (has?) an extra $8 off if you ordered Mulan or Hunchback along with Ralph, which of course I did. I wish we got those sort of deals as often as the US, though.

That Roger Rabbit Blu-ray cover is a travesty.

They couldn't find some college kid on the cheap to come up with something other than the old DVD cover with a shitty border around it?

Is it just me or is this the best Pixar BR cover?

monstersreissueblufront.jpg

The other one is pretty poopy.

bremon

Ordered Peter Pan today. Didn't realize how many movies are coming out with double packs. Hunchback, Mulan, etc. might have passed me by if not for this thread. Also checking out Wreck-It Ralph finally thanks to this thread's goodwill towards that title.

On another note, I have a couple Future Shop Disney steelbooks I've been hanging on to with the intent of making a bit off the top, but I think I'd rather see them go to some enthusiasts from GAF for MSRP instead. PM me if you're interested.

Magnus

Hoping for swell deals on Hunchback and Mulan. Ideally don't want to pay more than $15 for either of them. May just wait till I find them used for that cheap later on in the year though. Sold my DVDs for a tidy amount earlier this week in preparation.

Just can't justify $25-30+ for any one movie these days.

Thankfully, I think I've managed to land almost every Disney (or non-Disney) Blu I own for less than $20. Thank you price-matching, coupons, used (esp. for blu), etc.

Landing Lion King (the 3D pack no less) on release day from Best Buy (in Toronto!) for $14 made me laugh a hearty laugh.

mjc

Is it worth it to get the 3D versions of some of these? I'm gonna order Beauty and the Beast and Lion King...but I can definitely save some money if I don't get the diamond editions. I'd get them for down the road if the 3D versions are REALLY good. Are they?

Is it worth it to get the 3D versions of some of these? I'm gonna order Beauty and the Beast and Lion King...but I can definitely save some money if I don't get the diamond editions. I'd get them for down the road if the 3D versions are REALLY good. Are they?

Beauty and the Beast is the best 3D title I've seen on my 3D TV only after Avatar. I don't even like the movie really, but I bought it because the 3D I thought was that good.

johnsmith

remember me
I only buy the 3D versions when deals/coupons make them the same price as the 2D version. Then I sell the 3D disc on ebay for $15.

Az987

all good things
Well I guess its time to pick up The Lion King.

I'm not sure if anyone has said this yet but from 3/17 - 3/23 Target will have a coupon in their flier for 25% off any Disney video.

Ok that was a generalization, let me elaborate.

Watching The Proposal on BluRay is, IMO, a waste of the format. Watching something like Sleeping Beauty, or Monster's Inc, or even animation-heavy live-action movies like Transformers, is worth it. The clarity of the hand-drawn animation, being able to pause and read the text in the background from CGI movies that would be impossible to see otherwise, etc. Details that artists worked on that you would never see on a DVD. But I don't give a shit about watching RV or Twilight in 1080p.

I realize there are "normal" movies that have gorgeous cinematography, and those are the exceptions, but for the most part I feel that VFX-heavy movies are the only real reason for me to give a shit about BluRay. As one of my friends said, "I don't need to see the cracks in someone's caked-on make-up."
I agree with this. The first movie I watched on blu-ray (at least within the comfort of my own home) was Inception, and I thought it looked fine, but the first movie that made me go "whoa shit" was Beauty and the Beast. Maybe I just have the expectation that newer movies should look perfect while giving older films a pass, but seeing every line, color, shadow etc. in such pristine quality was a definite eye opener.

Too bad high refresh rate makes every movie in the universe look like shit.

LadyRiven

I actually got the 4 disc version of Wreck-it Ralph because I somehow didn't notice the 2 disc version on Amazon (not sure how that happened). I don't know if I will ever own a 3D TV. I mean, I imagine that we get a new TV at my house once every 10-15 years. It's more likely that I'd buy a 3D computer monitor but eh. I just don't know if it's worth it for me to buy 3D blu-rays when I know a 3D television is nowhere in the near future for me. (I also get the feeling that they're just a fad and by the time I get a new TV they won't be sold anymore. But if they end up getting super cheap later, maybe I'll get one then.)

Anyway, I'm rambling. Thanks for the heads up on Roger Rabbit. I went ahead and ordered it.

I'm guessing everyone has heard this by now, but if you're ever out and about, both Target and Best Buy will price match with Amazon now. I did this for a video game at Target last week, but it has to be rung up at customer service.

NR1

BEST BUY AD (03/10/13)

2013-03-10083727.jpg

Just had Amazon refund me $6. I got Hunchback and Mulan. Target has Mulan currently advertised for $22.99.

does anyone know why Disney does "BluRay + DVD" and "DVD + BluRay" releases separately like that?
I've wondered that myself. I suspect it has to do with buying habits. I'm sure they'd lose sales if they only had a blue plastic Bluray box with a BD and DVD in it, as staunch "I ain't buying no Bluray player" folks would pass on buying it. They are "tricking" people into buying combo packs.

Christopher

Disney Diamond Blu Ray Titles Currently Not Available for Purchase:
51QS-1ysCML._AA160_.jpg
61H-Xutd6tL._AA160_.jpg
51J1BtphrYL._AA160_.jpg

Disney Diamond Blu Ray Titles Currently Available for Purchase
51MTE5%2BgIsL._AA160_.jpg
51JFEBarKwL._AA160_.jpg

Disney Diamond Blu Ray Titles that will be vaulted NEXT MONTH:
517RyYButRL._AA160_.jpg
51-uCKlNnOL._AA160_.jpg

Lion King and The Lady and the Tramp go in next month

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Mulan and Notre Dame coming my way this week. Pretty excited to see them again, though I don't think I ever saw Mulan II - didn't even know it existed until now.

PolishQ

I haven't seen this movie in years... but I remember parts of it terrifying me as child... debating on if I should buy it and watch it again.

It's so good. I'd count it in my top ten films, and number one in terms of most impressive special effects. The way they filmed it, without even knowing how they would add the animated characters later, is endlessly fascinating.

netguy503

BEST BUY AD (03/10/13)

2013-03-10083727.jpg

Just had Amazon refund me $6. I got Hunchback and Mulan. Target has Mulan currently advertised for $22.99.

That's still $40 for both (and that's if you PM Target). So you're still paying $20 a blu-ray. I think that's too rich for my blood especially when everything apart from the feature is in SD. It's a lazy high priced port from disney and there's just to many other things coming out next week IMHO.

I've never seen Brother Bear and usually don't count it as one of the major Disney releases, but there seems to be some interest in it from some people. Is it any good? Just ok?

I've never seen Brother Bear and usually don't count it as one of the major Disney releases, but there seems to be some interest in it from some people. Is it any good? Just ok?

It belongs in the Disney Feature Animation catalog a hell of a lot more than bullshit piece of trash Dinosaur does. I get they had to retroactively make that a WDFA title so that Tangled would be #50 but god fucking dammit is that movie repulsive. Brother Bear is at least enjoyable, even though it's not amazing.

One has to keep in mind, too, that Brother Bear and Home on the Range were both in development during the time that Eisner decided that 2D animation was over at Disney and everything would switch to 3D. They were the last two traditionally animated movies that WDFA did, they both went through numerous rewrites with all kinds of corporate meddling, and everyone working on them knew they'd probably be fired once production wrapped. Home on the Range especially was described as more of a chore for them to just get it over with rather than an enjoyable movie to make (even though, IMO, it has some really excellent Classic Disney parts in it). So you can't really blame either movie for being a little lackluster.

I love brother bear and highly recommend it - one of my favourite Disney movies. Good music and story, but there are a few places where it moves a bit slow. Not perfect but certainly worth your time :)

Top Bottom