• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

qindarka

Banned
Is Home on the range that awful???

It's pretty bad but not unwatchable or anything. I've gained a new appreciation of the songs there after listening to them again on Youtube.

Regarding Brother Bear, I find the opening 20 minutes or so to be pretty great. Rest of movie fails to live up to that but it's still decent.

Is Home on the range that awful???

Rosanne is the voice of the main character and, like Larry the Cable Guy in Cars, some people just can't stand her.

I personally really like Home on the Range. It has a lot of visual charm - they designed everything to look like old-school Disney:

Home-On-The-Range.jpg

There is also a song by the villain that is without a doubt my favorite (and most creative) part of the entire movie. When I saw it I was instantly reminded of Pink Elephants on Parade from Dumbo and was smiling so hard I thought my face would break in half.

It's just that there's something missing from the last few 2D films by WDFA. A little bit of heart or magic. Everything on the other side was just overrun by corporate bullshit, the animators hated working there, it was just dismal and it comes through a little in the last couple movies they made. Eisner even had the marketing department "render" the ads for Home on the Range to look 3D to trick people into thinking it was a 3D movie instead of 2D:

Talk about insulting.

A lot of people lump Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, Home on the Range, and (vomit) Dinosaur and Chicken Little as Disney's "Second Dark Age" because there's just a general lack of something that made Golden Age Disney movies... Golden Age Disney movies, but a LOT of it is because of all the behind the scenes bullshit that was going on at the time. Unfortunately a lot of the movies suffered.

Christopher

I'm surprised treasure planet did so bad as it was by the people who made Aladdin princess and the frog hercules and the little mermaid

Ramsiege

Glad to have found this topic! About a year ago, my wife and I decided we wanted to collect all the Disney Movies on Blu-Ray before we had kids and could still afford it. When we first started, it was like a scavenger hunt! We would go to second hand stores and clean them out of any and all Disney movies they had, travel about an hour or so to different towns to see if we could find more. It was quite the rush to find gems like Monster's Inc. for $9.99 or the Fantasia Combo Pack for $14.99. Now we basically own just about every Disney movie on Blu-Ray, minus a few that we already owned on DVD (Treasure Planet, Great Mouse Detective, though we may eventually double dip, we already have on a few other movies) and ones that have not been released yet.

I would also suggest if you're just starting to collect Disney Blu-Rays, join the Disney Movie club. I think I got my first 4 movies for a $1, and now that I've finished my commitment of 5 regular priced movies, I can order 1 movie at regular price and get the rest of the movies I order at 60% off. I got Hunchback 2 pack, Mulan 2 pack, and Brother Bear 2 pack Blu-Rays for under $55, where if I had ordered from Amazon it would have been around $75. And also if you're just starting out, hit up second hand stores as that's pretty much the only way you can find some of the movies that are in the vault without paying exorbitant prices on ebay or Amazon. It might take up more of your time, but you'll save a lot more money in the long run.

DJ_Lae

I almost have every Disney movie on blu-ray that I'm interested in - Aladdin, Emperor's New Groove, Little Mermaid and Mulan are pretty much it for me in the future (and this week).

However, I've already gone down the hole of buying every classic Disney movie on blu-ray, which has resulted in me buying some ones that I'm not an enormous fan of (Aristocrats, most recently, and Peter Pan, which I only sort of enjoy), just for the sake of completion. So I know I'll pick up everything just because.

Christopher

I almost have every Disney movie on blu-ray that I'm interested in - Aladdin, Emperor's New Groove, Little Mermaid and Mulan are pretty much it for me in the future (and this week).

However, I've already gone down the hole of buying every classic Disney movie on blu-ray, which has resulted in me buying some ones that I'm not an enormous fan of (Aristocrats, most recently, and Peter Pan, which I only sort of enjoy), just for the sake of completion. So I know I'll pick up everything just because.

Ugh I know the feeling

Downhome

Is it ok if I post this here?

I got my Frankenweenie pull-apart (head, legs, and tail) plush from Disney Rewards today. This is one of the strangest awards ever, or just strangest plushies period. I hope that any of you guys that were interested in it picked it up. I just went to the site to check and they have already removed it. I'm very, very glad I redeemed my points for the first time for this one!

Here are a few pictures I just took of it...

WUYaxAJ.jpg

7bxcLcW.jpg

LZvhZue.jpg

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Hercules was added to Vudu in HDX.

BEST BUY AD (03/10/13)

2013-03-10083727.jpg

Just had Amazon refund me $6. I got Hunchback and Mulan. Target has Mulan currently advertised for $22.99.

Thanks for this. Hunchback is my favorite Disney movie of all time and I've never seen Mulan so that should be interesting.

How is Mulan 1/2?

If anyone lives near Omaha or Kansas City, Nebraska Furniture Mart will have Mulan, Hunchback and Roger Rabbit for $19.79. If you buy both Mulan and Hunchback you get $6 off.

Just an update on the Roger Rabbit Amazon.com situation - according to the tracking info, mine is in Los Angeles right now and will be delivered to my home in Burbank by 8pm tomorrow. So yeah, let's hope that they simply ran out and mass-emailed everyone who ordered it, and the discs aren't actually fucked up or something

Christopher

If anyone is looking for the older blus Snow White bambi ect I have some I'm getting rid of as I'm going digital and I won't price gauge you lol message me

Downhome

Never, ever ever ever ever sign up to any of those club sites with the standard "deal" that they have as the default when you sign up. It is a huge ripoff, and you'll get screwed. That is how they make money off of those sites.

For the DMC go to this link...

https://disneymovieclub.go.com/weba...hView?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051

And enter this code: 17674B

It changes to, well, reveal the true deal and how to work the program. Instead of the above, you get the following...

-3 "Purchase Commitment" titles required to complete membership
-5 for $1
-1 for $11.95 (this one counts as one of the three commitment titles)
-1 for $8.95
-$21.90/shipped for the initial seven titles

You then have only two more to buy at the higher price, although if you get in on a preorder you can get a commitment title for just $25 or so. This comes to around $89.70 for the completed membership, but less than that if you get in on the even cheaper deals for the commitment titles. It ends up being less than $10 a title, and closer to $8 or $9 if you really maximize the deal.

Also, do NOT use the website to sign up. I mean, it's fine if the titles listed on there are ones that you really want, but to get the most out of it you need to call and place your order over the phone, but still give them the code I mentioned (they'll ask if you have a code). If you are lucky, you can get just about any title that the DMC sells as an enrollment title, it just depends on the CSR. The 3D titles are not able to be selected on the website, but if you call with the specific item numbers they'll go through depending on the CSR. I was denied twice, I tried calling late at night to start with, but on the third call I made the next day around lunch time the CSR went right ahead with it. In addition to 3D titles, you can also get new releases as enrollment titles as well.

If you need any help at all, just let me know. I'm just happy that I can spread this deal. I know what I'm talking about, I've been dealing with clubs like this for at least ten years. Yes, you can get screwed if you just go in with no clue of what is going on, but if you use the codes and do it as you should, you get crazy deals. There is no cheaper way to buy Disney Blus out there, including using the coupons they give out for certain titles on release. Also, keep in mind that for these clubs you MUST decline at least one monthly title or they'll ship it and bill you automatically. It's not a big deal, you just need to remember. They will email you and let you know, or you could just set an alert somehow reminding you once a month. Even if they do ship one out though if you just write refused on it and send it back they credit whatever was charged back to you, so no harm no foul.

For those that have followed along with me on this, I have another update.

I canceled my first account, the one I mentioned back when I posted the above information, just yesterday and I just called in to get the latest bunch of releases in a new enrollment order. I used the same credit card, and the same email address other than placing a period after the first letter of it when I read it back to them. I got the following for the standard $21.90 with only two more to buy to complete my membership...

-Brother Bear 2-Movie Collection
-Castle in the Sky
-The Hunchback Of Notre Dame 2-Movie Collection
-Mulan Special Edition 2-Movie Collection
-Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides 3D
-Pixar Short Films Collection
-Who Framed Roger Rabbit 25th Anniversary Edition

The order went through just fine, first call, no questions asked. This is amazing!

Downhome

I was ordering the 3D versions even before I had a 3DTV. I'm way too anal about this sort of thing and have to have the "best" version of every title I buy. The only exception I made to that was the Peter Pan release, and that was just because the one without the DC was at Walmart with the little vinyl figure and it was just around $10 or so after the coupon they had for it.

aktham

Personally I go for the bluray only, unless the price is the same for the "premium versions". I did redeem my digital copy in itunes for the Princess and the Frog and the Nightmare before Christmas, but it turned out those were SD quality :(

Never, ever ever ever ever sign up to any of those club sites with the standard "deal" that they have as the default when you sign up. It is a huge ripoff, and you'll get screwed. That is how they make money off of those sites.

For the DMC go to this link...

https://disneymovieclub.go.com/weba...hView?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051

And enter this code: 17674B

It changes to, well, reveal the true deal and how to work the program. Instead of the above, you get the following...

-3 "Purchase Commitment" titles required to complete membership
-5 for $1
-1 for $11.95 (this one counts as one of the three commitment titles)
-1 for $8.95
-$21.90/shipped for the initial seven titles

You then have only two more to buy at the higher price, although if you get in on a preorder you can get a commitment title for just $25 or so. This comes to around $89.70 for the completed membership, but less than that if you get in on the even cheaper deals for the commitment titles. It ends up being less than $10 a title, and closer to $8 or $9 if you really maximize the deal.

Also, do NOT use the website to sign up. I mean, it's fine if the titles listed on there are ones that you really want, but to get the most out of it you need to call and place your order over the phone, but still give them the code I mentioned (they'll ask if you have a code). If you are lucky, you can get just about any title that the DMC sells as an enrollment title, it just depends on the CSR. The 3D titles are not able to be selected on the website, but if you call with the specific item numbers they'll go through depending on the CSR. I was denied twice, I tried calling late at night to start with, but on the third call I made the next day around lunch time the CSR went right ahead with it. In addition to 3D titles, you can also get new releases as enrollment titles as well.

If you need any help at all, just let me know. I'm just happy that I can spread this deal. I know what I'm talking about, I've been dealing with clubs like this for at least ten years. Yes, you can get screwed if you just go in with no clue of what is going on, but if you use the codes and do it as you should, you get crazy deals. There is no cheaper way to buy Disney Blus out there, including using the coupons they give out for certain titles on release. Also, keep in mind that for these clubs you MUST decline at least one monthly title or they'll ship it and bill you automatically. It's not a big deal, you just need to remember. They will email you and let you know, or you could just set an alert somehow reminding you once a month. Even if they do ship one out though if you just write refused on it and send it back they credit whatever was charged back to you, so no harm no foul.

DUDE! I'm doing this tonight, thanks!

Edit: How long do I have to buy those last seven titles? Or are they right away?

I canceled my first account, the one I mentioned back when I posted the above information, just yesterday and I just called in to get the latest bunch of releases in a new enrollment order. I used the same credit card, and the same email address other than placing a period after the first letter of it when I read it back to them. I got the following for the standard $21.90 with only two more to buy to complete my membership...

-Castle in the Sky

The order went through just fine, first call, no questions asked. This is amazing!
Are there other titles than what's on the official site? You mentioned Mulan and Hunchback, but I don't see either of those on the list.

AirBrian

Mulan sold out at two bestbuys. What's the deal here? This was never at the same caliber a Little Mermaid, Aladdin or Lion King ever were

I went and picked up Mulan and Hunchback and grabbed the last copy of each one. Either they're not shipping a lot or there's some higher demand than expected. It's also spring break so the store was much busier than a normal weekday.

Mulan sold out at two bestbuys. What's the deal here? This was never at the same caliber a Little Mermaid, Aladdin or Lion King ever were

It may not be, but I know that several of my friends and family look back on Mulan as any of the top-tier movies. Probably due to being Asian themselves so it's somewhat of a staple in their DVD/VHS libraries.

I know that anytime it's on ABC Family or the Disney Channel, I'll watch it.

Magnus

Gross. Best deal I can find is Mulan and Hunchback together at Best Buy/FS for $30 each, with $6 off total for buying them together. No thanks.

I'll nab em later.

Downhome

DUDE! I'm doing this tonight, thanks!

Edit: How long do I have to buy those last seven titles? Or are they right away?

You get the seven titles in your enrollment package for $21.90 total, shipped. If you do it as I've described, you are required to only buy two more items (your last two commitment selections) priced $29.95 or higher. You can sometimes get your commitment selections for as low as $24.95 depending on any deals or sales they have going, and they are usually preorder deals.

You have two years to buy your final two commitment titles. I recommend getting in and out as soon as you can. You can sign up and complete the membership in as little as a month, which is what I did on my first time around. While you are a member, you have to decline a special monthly selection or it will be shipped and charged to you automatically. This is not a big deal - you can decline by calling and talking to someone, calling an automated line, clinking the link they will email you alerting you to the selection, but the best way is to just log into your account at least once a month and declining there. When you log in, it will blatantly let you know if you have a selection you need to respond to.

I say to get in and out ASAP just so you don't have to deal with that as much. I don't see a reason to have an account open, never buying anything else, and having to keep declining those monthly selections.

Are there other titles than what's on the official site? You mentioned Mulan and Hunchback, but I don't see either of those on the list.

Do not sign up on the website, the selection on there to pick from is the bare minimum. To sign up, the best way to get the widest selection of titles is to call in and have the item numbers of the titles you are interested in. You can also just tell them the titles if you don't have the item numbers.

Technically, any title that is listed for $29.95 can count as an enrollment title. If you get the right CSR on the phone, you can list other titles with a higher list price (such as 3D titles and the like) to count as well.

I don't see why any serious collector of Disney titles would pay retail for these anymore since you can get them for around $8-10 a piece through the club using these methods. It takes less effort than even driving over to the store to pick them up.

Well this sucks. Burbank Best Buy only had one copy of Brother Bear left, $24.99. Target had all of them, but they were $29.99 except for Mulan which was $22.99. So I returned home empty handed, with Roger Rabbit out for delivery.

I want these movies, but not $30 want them. And even $25 is pushing it. And since neither store had them at attractive prices or even all in stock, there was no "buy-2-save-$6" option. So I either have to wait like I did with Pete's Dragon and hope they eventually drop to around $20 each and still have slipcovers, or look into this Disney Movie Club thing.

About the DMC: it says you have to buy the other titles at full price - does that mean we can't use the manufacturer's coupons for $5-7?

Downhome

About the DMC: it says you have to buy the other titles at full price - does that mean we can't use the manufacturer's coupons for $5-7?

Yes, but the coupons are pointless when buying them through the club since you are only paying $8-$10 a title anyway once your membership is averaged out.

I have no clue how much the titles are on iTunes or anything like that, but I'm a physical collector of things like this. I must have the actual physical release. I also need my Disney Movie Reward points! If you have an account for that as well, the club helps you rack up the points since you get a code in each of the titles you buy.

mrkgoo

A digital copy is a purchase if that's what your asking and yes when titles are vaulted they are pulled from circulation including iTunes

Thanks. Huh, as expected, I guess, regarding whether iTunes versions are pulled from purchase.

(and yes, I knew digital copies count as purchases).

Christopher

They're not pulled from purchase. I can still download beauty and the beast.

Perhaps I phrased it wrong lol once its yours its yours however if it wasn't purchased / digital copied they pull it so you can't purchase it.

Downhome

They're not pulled from purchase. I can still download beauty and the beast.

Perhaps I phrased it wrong lol once its yours its yours however if it wasn't purchased / digital copied they pull it so you can't purchase it.

I'm pretty sure that is how it works. As long as you have purchased it while it was out of the vault, you can continue to redownload even after it enters the vault.

Yes, but the coupons are pointless when buying them through the club since you are only paying $8-$10 a title anyway once your membership is averaged out.

Cool, cool. If you were able to grab 7 movies for $22 like you listed above I am super interested in doing this.

1) Hunchback of Notre Dame
2) Mulan
3) Brother Bear
4) The Tigger Movie
5) Pixar Shorts Collection V2

Would all be for $1, right?

Then
6) Tron (if available, if not probably Pixar SCV1 since I only have it on DVD)

Would be $12 with your code, and

7) Tron Legacy

Would be $9 with your code.

Then, at some point, just buy two more full-priced movies (Likely Atlantis and Little Mermaid or whatever else comes out this year, Monster's University? Original Winnie the Pooh movie?) and I'm done, and I cancel? So the $22 for the initial 7, and then $25-30 for the last two comes to ~$80 for 9 Disney Blu-Rays... right? Holy shit this is quite a deal.

Downhome

Cool, cool. If you were able to grab 7 movies for $22 like you listed above I am super interested in doing this.

1) Hunchback of Notre Dame
2) Mulan
3) Brother Bear
4) The Tigger Movie
5) Pixar Shorts Collection V2

Would all be for $1, right?

Then
6) Tron (if available, if not probably Pixar SCV1 since I only have it on DVD)

Would be $12 with your code, and

7) Tron Legacy

Would be $9 with your code.

Then, at some point, just buy two more full-priced movies (Likely Atlantis and Little Mermaid or whatever else comes out this year, Monster's University? Original Winnie the Pooh movie?) and I'm done, and I cancel? So the $22 for the initial 7, and then $25-30 for the last two comes to ~$80 for 9 Disney Blu-Rays... right? Holy shit this is quite a deal.

Yep, that's exactly right.

If you are going to wait until other things are out to buy your commitment titles though, just remember to decline the monthly selections. If you do that, you're golden.

When you call they will first ask for your name, address, and credit card information. Make sure you give them an email address, and before you hang up make sure you get your membership ID number. That way you can instantly log into the site to track your order. If, when you give your selections, they decide to say that such and such title isn't allowed for enrollment, like the ones that were just released, tell them you'll call back later and just hang up and call back and try a different CSR. They should still have your name and all of that saved, so you shouldn't have to go through all of that again so you can get right to naming your selection titles.

I have had the best luck calling around lunch/mid-day EST. Good luck!

Cheska

So is the only way to get the newer movies as part of the DMC deal to give them a call? Doesn't look like they're available through the website yet.

That is crazy!

The last 3-4 movies are purchased through the DMC site, correct? Not Best Buy or something.

Also, the ToS for the BluRay club mentions you get the first 4 free, then you need to buy five more within 24 months. Then it says you can buy a 5th for reduced price and it counts towards the five. Then it talks about the sixth movie for $9, but it doesn't specify if that one qualifies towards the remaining four? And even if it does, then you still need to buy three more movies in 24 months, not two. So a little more than $80 all said and done (Sill an outrageous deal all things considered), unless I missed something?

EDIT: Oh wait I see, with that code you only need to buy 3 more movies not 4.

Sorry to have you go over the details again and again I just want to make sure I have it 100% before I dive into this.

So is the only way to get the newer movies as part of the DMC deal to give them a call? Doesn't look like they're available through the website yet.

Looks like it. They have everything on my list, including the original Tron, but none of the 3 that just came out. You can search Mulan and it returns a result but the page is just blank. Otherwise I could do

1) Tron
2) Tron Legacy
3) Pixar SCV1
4) Pixar SCV2
5) Tigger Movie
6) Mulan

and then order Hunchback and Brother Bear later and be finished in under a month! Dammit!

Oh well I can always call in the order and do exactly that I guess.

Do not sign up on the website, the selection on there to pick from is the bare minimum. To sign up, the best way to get the widest selection of titles is to call in and have the item numbers of the titles you are interested in. You can also just tell them the titles if you don't have the item numbers.

Technically, any title that is listed for $29.95 can count as an enrollment title. If you get the right CSR on the phone, you can list other titles with a higher list price (such as 3D titles and the like) to count as well.

I don't see why any serious collector of Disney titles would pay retail for these anymore since you can get them for around $8-10 a piece through the club using these methods. It takes less effort than even driving over to the store to pick them up.

Thanks. I don't really want to deal with the headache of CSRs. I'll probably hold off until the Ghibli films are released in May and then give it a shot.

Downhome

Yes, to get newer titles or 3D titles or anything like that you must sign up over the phone.

That is crazy!

The last 3-4 movies are purchased through the DMC site, correct? Not Best Buy or something.

As long as you sign up using the code I mentioned before, and as long as you order seven titles in your enrollment (one of which being one of three commitment titles), you will only have two more to buy over two years.

Also, the ToS for the BluRay club mentions you get the first 4 free, then you need to buy five more within 24 months. Then it says you can buy a 5th for reduced price and it counts towards the five. Then it talks about the sixth movie for $9, but it doesn't specify if that one qualifies towards the remaining four? And even if it does, then you still need to buy three more movies in 24 months, not two. So a little more than $80 all said and done (Sill an outrageous deal all things considered), unless I missed something?

Sorry to have you go over the details again and again I just want to make sure I have it 100% before I dive into this.

Ignore the ToS listed on the default site. That is how they plan on making money off of this, from people blinding going to the site and signing up without a code. If you sign up without a code, or without doing it as I've described, you will not be saving anything hardly at all.

If you want to just see it in writing go here...

And type in this code...

17674B

Over on the right you'll see what you get in the enrollment, what I've described before. You get what is over to the right, (one of the two bonus movies count as the first of your three commitment titles under this plan) and then you only have two more you need to buy in two years.

When you call in, give them the code I mentioned above. They will likely ask for any code you may have first thing anyway.

netguy503

-Castle in the Sky

Is Frankenweenie 3D disney and would that work? What about that new Circus 3D bluray (is that disney)? How do I get 3D titles added again? I don't see them listed.

Top Bottom