• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Downhome

Is Frankenweenie 3D disney and would that work? What about that new Circus 3D bluray (is that disney)? How do I get 3D titles added again? I don't see them listed.

They do have Frankenweenie, but I have no clue about the Circus one. You have to call to get 3D titles in an enrollment.

Ramsiege

Anyone else do Disney Movie rewards? Me and the wife started doing them when we started collecting Disney movies and so far we've gotten a Blu-ray player, two seasons of Lost on blu-ray and a Lion King poster.

I put in the codes for Brother Bear, Mulan, and Hunchback and got an extra hundred points.

Downhome

Anyone else do Disney Movie rewards? Me and the wife started doing them when we started collecting Disney movies and so far we've gotten a Blu-ray player, two seasons of Lost on blu-ray and a Lion King poster.

I put in the codes for Brother Bear, Mulan, and Hunchback and got an extra hundred points.

Yep, I love it. The Frankenweenie plush I posted a page or two back is awesome!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Downhome, just FYI, your offer code is US-only; I'm on the phone right now ordering to Canada and they noted that that code doesn't play well with a Canadian address. The girl on the phone is going to try to find me a "comparable" code so hopefully they have a Canadian one I can report back with.

Edit: She seems to have rejiggered my order to something Canadian specific. 5 upfront for $2, one bonus for $11 that counts, one bonus for $9 that doesn't, and a commitment of 4. Canada always gets the ass end of these deals.

In addition, she wouldn't add Mulan, Hunchback, or Wreck-it Ralph but mentioned I could order all those as commitment titles. That doesn't really bother me since I'm looking at the costs of this over the whole program rather than on my first order, so "which" movies I save on aren't particularly important to me.

Went with:
Incredibles
Ratatouille
Pocahontas
Pixar Shorts v2
Alice (Animated)
Tron the Original Classic
(Great Mouse Detective because I honestly couldn't think of anything else)

Commitment titles will be:
Wreck it Ralph
Hunchback
Mulan
Peter Pan

Should be able to get it all cancelled by this summer.

So Mulan I and II are on the same disc, guys.

Now THAT is quality.

(Anyone want to check if it's a 50GB disc? Doubt it is. Also leaving plenty of room for those new 1080p special features).

Now THAT is quality.

(Anyone want to check if it's a 50GB disc? Doubt it is. Also leaving plenty of room for those new 1080p special features).
Yikes. There's no grain, so it's possible the image quality could still be high quality. (Grain fucks with compression.)

Blu-ray.com's review is positive. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mulan-and-Mulan-II-Blu-ray/62074/ Looks like the skimmped on the special features, which is to be expected for a non-Diamond Edition.

Did anyone's Roger Rabbit come with DMR points? Mine had none, didn't know if all of them went with out any.

Now THAT is quality.

I hate when they pull this shit. They did it with something else not that long ago. Means I'll be waiting till I can get Mulan and Hunchback on the cheap.

Theonik

Now THAT is quality.

The Lion King was ~22GB for the 2D edition for the film itself so it's really not that bad as it really sounds. That was a 40mbps encode too. If they went with a dual layer disk which they probably did they probably didn't have to compromise on quality.

I hate when they pull this shit. They did it with something else not that long ago. Means I'll be waiting till I can get Mulan and Hunchback on the cheap.
They did it with Pocahontas, Rescuers, Hunchback and now Mulan I think. It should probably be expected that's what they'll do for all those cheapquel pack-ins. European releases are separate but it kinda sucks because we didn't get Rescuers down Under at all something that still irritates me. (though better covers and all)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Also from a movie quality POV, I'm really never going to watch any of the crummy sequels, so I don't really care if Mulan II is a VHS transfer as long as the original is crisp and clean.

I think sequel-wise, only Rescuers Down Under, the two Toy Story sequels, maybe the two Aladdin sequels, An Extremely Goofy Movie, some of the Pooh sequels, and I guess Monsters University if it ends up being good really register for me as "stuff I'd actually bother to watch".

Ok DownHome, one more question. You said that you can order different titles than what's on the site over the phone, but you need to know their item numbers. Is there anywhere to find those numbers, or do I just say "Mulan I&II BluRay" and they'll know?

Thank you so much for all the information and guidance you've been giving.

Ramsiege

Does anyone know what the next Disney releases are? I know Little Mermaid is getting a Diamond Edition in the Fall, but other than that, has anything been announced?

Toki767

Does anyone know what the next Disney releases are? I know Little Mermaid is getting a Diamond Edition in the Fall, but other than that, has anything been announced?

Aladdin was supposed to come out in Spring but it got delayed with no new release date in sight.

Atlantis got pushed back to some time this fall, and Lilo & Stitch was just announced for Russia this summer which has led some to speculate it could hit the US this year. Aladdin is kinda nebulously floating around since it got delayed, Monster's University will hit home release this fall/winter, and the original Winnie the Pooh movie is "coming soon" whenever that may be.

So there is a chance the Disney movie club will allow me to do titles like Toy Story 5-disc set and Finding Nemo Ultimate edition? I dont want to keep trying just to find out no one will let me lol

Downhome

Downhome, just FYI, your offer code is US-only; I'm on the phone right now ordering to Canada and they noted that that code doesn't play well with a Canadian address. The girl on the phone is going to try to find me a "comparable" code so hopefully they have a Canadian one I can report back with.

Edit: She seems to have rejiggered my order to something Canadian specific. 5 upfront for $2, one bonus for $11 that counts, one bonus for $9 that doesn't, and a commitment of 4. Canada always gets the ass end of these deals.

In addition, she wouldn't add Mulan, Hunchback, or Wreck-it Ralph but mentioned I could order all those as commitment titles. That doesn't really bother me since I'm looking at the costs of this over the whole program rather than on my first order, so "which" movies I save on aren't particularly important to me.

Went with:
Incredibles
Ratatouille
Pocahontas
Pixar Shorts v2
Alice (Animated)
Tron the Original Classic
(Great Mouse Detective because I honestly couldn't think of anything else)

Commitment titles will be:
Wreck it Ralph
Hunchback
Mulan
Peter Pan

Should be able to get it all cancelled by this summer.

I didn't even know it was possible for Canada, so I can't speak on that or any offers from there. I never would have went with an offer that requires four commitment titles to be bought, but that is just me. If you hang up when they deny you, you just hang up and call back if you really want the titles you have in mind. All that matters is that you are happy though!

Did anyone's Roger Rabbit come with DMR points? Mine had none, didn't know if all of them went with out any.

Unfortunately WFRR doesn't come with DMR points. :(

Ok DownHome, one more question. You said that you can order different titles than what's on the site over the phone, but you need to know their item numbers. Is there anywhere to find those numbers, or do I just say "Mulan I&II BluRay" and they'll know?

Thank you so much for all the information and guidance you've been giving.

I am going to PM you some information pertaining to this.

So there is a chance the Disney movie club will allow me to do titles like Toy Story 5-disc set and Finding Nemo Ultimate edition? I dont want to keep trying just to find out no one will let me lol

Yes, if you are talking about the versions of those movies with the 3D and everything, then yes, there is a chance that when you call in they will allow you to pick those as part of your enrollment package.

vazel

Banned

Now THAT is quality.

It's a 24Mbps video encode which is good for animation. Especially one that has a clean image with no grain.

Yikes. There's no grain, so it's possible the image quality could still be high quality. (Grain fucks with compression.)

Blu-ray.com's review is positive. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mulan-and-Mulan-II-Blu-ray/62074/ Looks like the skimmped on the special features, which is to be expected for a non-Diamond Edition.

Or Diamond Editions, these days. Also, Blu-ray.com reviews often have no idea what they're talking about. Wait for the AVS one if it's coming out.

I don't understand what's so hard about at least retaining special features from previous editions. All of Hunchback's American releases have been completely gimped compared to the 1997 Laserdisc set.

I mean it's blu ray for crying out loud, it's not like there isn't space for it. They could always remove the bullshit sequels to clear room if they needed to (who fondly remembers Hunchback 2, honestly).

No Disney logos at all on the packaging. This is a Touchstone/Amblin joint.

This probably also relates to the numerous characters from several different companies that show up in Roger Rabbit. I would imagine that Disney probably agreed to remove their name from the masthead to avoid the impression that any WB/Universal/Fleischer/etc characters are Disney properties.

Also, the film is pretty racy for a PG film, so Disney probably wanted to avoid pinning their family-friendly brand image to it. They've become a lot more liberal in that regard since then.

Downhome

Has the screwup with the DVD in the WFRR Blu-ray release been mentioned yet?

XwOUg9O.jpg

johnsmith

remember me
It has nothing to do with what you mentioned. Spielberg alled the shots. Disney never had anything to do with the makin of the film and never had their name anywhere on the movie's marketing. They had the rights to the novel which the movie is based on. They went to another studio to adapt, produce, develop and distribute. All they did was sell rights to adaptation and use of their characters (with details on how to use their them). Disney olny wanted rights to merchandise money.

Disney has plenty of racy movies on their own portfolio today.

Disney seemed to be pretty involved based on what I read here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Framed_Roger_Rabbit

"Touchstone Pictures is an American film studio and one of several alternate film labels of The Walt Disney Studios, owned by The Walt Disney Company."

I mean would they create a ride called Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin at Disneyland if they weren't heavily involved in the production?

Oozer3993

It has nothing to do with what you mentioned. Spielberg alled the shots. Disney never had anything to do with the makin of the film and never had their name anywhere on the movie's marketing. They had the rights to the novel which the movie is based on. They went to another studio to adapt, produce, develop and distribute. All they did was sell rights to adaptation and use of their characters (with details on how to use their them). Disney olny wanted rights to merchandise money.

"Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" was absolutely a Disney movie. Disney bought the film rights, then went to Spielberg to produce the film along with their Touchstone offshoot. The movie was then distributed by Disney subsidiary Buena Vista Pictures. The movie was overseen by Disney animation executive Jeffrey Katzenberg. The animated portions, however, were not done by Disney Feature Animation.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is Wreck It Ralph really that good? I watch very few movies, but I was thinking about buying it with a copy of Who FRamed Roger Rabbit.

Does Target still have a deal on it?

Kazerei

Banned
I just bought Wreck-it-Ralph and watched it today. Pretty good fun movie. There weren't that many videogames references though, really.

Sushigod7

I just bought Wreck-it-Ralph and watched it today. Pretty good fun movie. There weren't that many videogames references though, really.

Wreck it ralph was ok that sugar land ruined it as it was too much time on it

It had a lot of references at the beginning but quickly faded out, it does seem to have a lot of hidden Disney easter eggs like Walt Disney's birthday etc. I would have never noticed it though when I paused it the guy there talks about it which was kind of a cool feature. Sugar land was like half the movie and way to long. I wanted to buy the art of book and it's full of that so passed on it. So many places they could have went it was a little disappointing. I like the movie though.

Magnus

Color me surprised at many Toronto stores being sold out of Hunchback/Mulan. I was going to wait and find them for cheaper later, but the sell-out this quickly worries me. They'll show up again before being vaulted, right? =/

I mean, a bunch of stores in North York have it, so I'll be fine. Haha.

I get the subsidiaries. I'm speaking specifically of Disney Studios. Their name has never been plastered over this movie simply because their main animation studio didn't develop it. Symantics.

This is false. Disney made this film as a co-production with Amblin, and were fully involved with the project. Just because they brought in other studios/animators doesn't mean they didn't make the film.

Touchstone is 100% Disney. It's nothing more than an alternate label for more matured-themed films.

Almost all of which are Touchstone-branded films.

Disney wouldn't even put their name on a PG-13 film until 2003, and Who Framed Roger Rabbit is very much a borderline PG/PG-13 film. And I do believe that there is probably a modicum of truth in my claim that other studios who allowed their characters to be used wouldn't want the film being branded as Disney. Do you think Warner Bros. would want to give the impression that Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck are Disney characters?

Anth0ny

okay wait

Aladdin is out in Europe this month?

Does Disney do region free releases? If so, I'm importing that shit asap. I'm not waiting til Fall 2014 or whenever the fuck they're going to put it out in North America.

edit:

m9fllPi.jpg

VfMuBDb.gif

vazel

Banned
This site here has screencaps of Aladdin in what it claims to be in 1080p Blu Ray quality. Been like that for some time and have no idea how it procured them. Perhaps they are just taken from a DVD and mislabeled, I don't have a good eye for this sort of thing.

http://disneyscreencaps.com/aladdin-1992/
Under all those horrible jpeg compression artifacts, it does look like HD.

What a stupid site. Dedicated to screenshots and all those screenshots are horribly compressed jpegs.
crazy.gif

Edit: Here are some good quality png caps of Aladdin in HD. Looks like there is some ringing. :( I'm sure that will be fixed for the American release.
http://imgbox.com/abxLe0qn
http://imgbox.com/ach47KdX
http://imgbox.com/acjeZ1f0
http://imgbox.com/acnDB8kf
http://imgbox.com/acoe9u7J
http://imgbox.com/adwCAHdq

Top Bottom