• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Just in case anyne missed it, the UK Disney BoGoF offer is back on again.

Looking to pick up a few bargains myself. Teh missus is still whinging for some Aristocats in her empty life.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm curious why there's even this much of a wait

would you rather buy aladdin or the great mouse detective

would you rather buy aladdin or brother bear

(spaced out releases = people more likely to buy less desirable releases that they wouldn't buy if they could buy the ones they really want)

Anth0ny

They put absolutely 0 effort into those covers. That's literally the same art as the old vhs release.

i8rapR2GiwSLZ.JPG

Although that cover has a special place in my heart (I wore that VHS out from watching so many times), I do wish they used something different.

Hopefully we get some cool Steelbooks. I think this could work well:

bAbQQyU.jpg

Heck even the mockups were at least something different:

BidvbyM.png

Downhome

For those that have followed along with me on this, I have another update.

I canceled my first account, the one I mentioned back when I posted the above information, just yesterday and I just called in to get the latest bunch of releases in a new enrollment order. I used the same credit card, and the same email address other than placing a period after the first letter of it when I read it back to them. I got the following for the standard $21.90 with only two more to buy to complete my membership...

-Brother Bear 2-Movie Collection
-Castle in the Sky
-The Hunchback Of Notre Dame 2-Movie Collection
-Mulan Special Edition 2-Movie Collection
-Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides 3D
-Pixar Short Films Collection
-Who Framed Roger Rabbit 25th Anniversary Edition

The order went through just fine, first call, no questions asked. This is amazing!

My enrollment order from one week ago today just showed up. My 3D card was the same as I got last time, Fantasia, so I didn't bother including it in the picture. They have been super fast for me the two times I have enrolled so far!

8RNpmaO.jpg

johnsmith

remember me
My enrollment order from one week ago today just showed up. My 3D card was the same as I got last time, Fantasia, so I didn't bother including it in the picture. They have been super fast for me the two times I have enrolled so far!

8RNpmaO.jpg
You got all those as your enrollment? Might be time to sign up again.

vazel

Banned
How did you sign up for DMC again? Do you have to use a different credit card?

Edit: nvm I see you already answered that question.

Downhome

How did you sign up for DMC again? Do you have to use a different credit card?

Edit: nvm I see you already answered that question.

No, same CC, it doesn't matter as long as the first account is closed. Heck, you may be able to use the same one even if the other account is still open for some reason, I'm not sure on that to be honest.

If you have any questions just let me know.

Is it impossible to get a copy of Who Framed Roger Rabbit with a sleeve? Both the copy I picked up from BB last week and the one I got from Amazon didn't have one.

chidrock

Is it impossible to get a copy of Who Framed Roger Rabbit with a sleeve? Both the copy I picked up from BB last week and the one I got from Amazon didn't have one.

No; it is possible to get it - the ones I saw at Walmart had one.

The Mulan I ordered from Best Buy was also missing it, so I just went and picked it up at Walmart as well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
YES! Been waiting for Emperor's New Groove and I can finally watch Atlantis (passed on it when I was a kid).

You're not missing a ton. Atlantis isn't terrible, but it's definitely among Disney's periodic nadirs. I put it on in the background one night maybe a year ago and it didn't really hold anyone's attention. Someone on this page complained that Aladdin's CGI elements have aged poorly, but I really think people rewatching late-90s/early-00s Disney will find it even worse. The CGI-2d blending isn't great, I don't really like how... chunky the characters are. But basically I think the film doesn't work because it tries to be an Indiana Jones or Romancing the Stone, and I don't think anyone had it in them. So you get none of the classic Disney musical formula, and you get just a kind of lame action cartoon. Honestly, Aladdin III hits some of the same adventure vibes, only better... well, at least that's my memory, I last saw Aladdin III on VHS. The characters aren't really engaging. It's just kind of dull.

That being said, obviously as with any Disney movie if you haven't seen it, give it a watch. I'm just saying I wouldn't have the expectations that it's a lost gem.

Emperor's New Groove, by contrast, is one of Disney's most creative films.

You're not missing a ton. Atlantis isn't terrible, but it's definitely among Disney's periodic nadirs. I put it on in the background one night maybe a year ago and it didn't really hold anyone's attention. Someone on this page complained that Aladdin's CGI elements have aged poorly, but I really think people rewatching late-90s/early-00s Disney will find it even worse. The CGI-2d blending isn't great, I don't really like how... chunky the characters are. But basically I think the film doesn't work because it tries to be an Indiana Jones or Romancing the Stone, and I don't think anyone had it in them. So you get none of the classic Disney musical formula, and you get just a kind of lame action cartoon. Honestly, Aladdin III hits some of the same adventure vibes, only better... well, at least that's my memory, I last saw Aladdin III on VHS. The characters aren't really engaging. It's just kind of dull.

That being said, obviously as with any Disney movie if you haven't seen it, give it a watch. I'm just saying I wouldn't have the expectations that it's a lost gem.

Emperor's New Groove, by contrast, is one of Disney's most creative films.

Pretty much what I figured for Atlantis, I was mostly intrigued by the art direction of Mike Mignola rather than the film itself.

Emperor's New Groove on the other hand, it's probably one of my favorite Disney movies ever.

JdFoX187

Banned
Looks like Disney is slowly cleaning out their 90s stash. Only Aladdin, Tarzan and Hercules are left now, right? Maybe then they'll move to their older stuff. I want my g'damn Jungle Book!

Christopher

The Jungle Book, 101 Dalmations, Aladdin, Pinnochio, and Sleeping Beauty will round out the Diamond line.

The Emperors New Groove is a rental for me and Atlantis sucked did it not?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Looks like Disney is slowly cleaning out their 90s stash. Only Aladdin, Tarzan and Hercules are left now, right? Maybe then they'll move to their older stuff. I want my g'damn Jungle Book!

Yep just those 3 from the 90s (well, among Disney Animated Classics, obviously)... and only Lilo & Stitch from the 2000s.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
read my friend, round out the diamond line - they were released as Platinum Editions they will be rereleased again.

Same thing.
I wouldn't be surprised if they just pressed the same three discs for each.

Yes!
Apparently it borrows heavily from Nadia: The Secret of the Blue Water.

8RNpmaO.jpg

Beautiful. Hunchback and Mulan are my first priorities, then on to Ralph.

I want my damn Aladdin and Hercules!

Me too. :(

jett

D-Member
Man you can even see the polygonal edges on the carpet in HD. As far as old CGI goes it hasn't aged too badly, although the Cave entrance and Cave escape is just as bad as the Beauty and the Beast ballroom scene.

Cheerilee

Apparently it borrows heavily from Nadia: The Secret of the Blue Water.

IIRC, it might borrow lightly from Nadia, but both borrow heavily from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Their shared differences from the original are small and common enough to be coincidental. So Atlantis only borrows from Nadia if we believe that's where Disney was looking while they were making it, but Disney has plausible deniability.

It would've been a better movie if it borrowed more from either one of them.

What's their motive for taking the time to develop the DTV sequels in Blu Ray quality and packing it with the original? The double packs aren't more expensive, are they?
Completion's sake. They probably know people won't pay for them separately though. The big ones, like Lion King, or Aladdin, sure. But all the other ones are total dog shit. Even Cinderella 2 & 3 were bundled outside of the mega pack, (unlike Lion King 1-1/2 & 2) since they'd never sell individually.

Completion's sake. They probably know people won't pay for them separately though. The big ones, like Lion King, or Aladdin, sure. But all the other ones are total dog shit. Even Cinderella 2 & 3 were bundled outside of the mega pack, (unlike Lion King 1-1/2 & 2) since they'd never sell individually.

Cinderella 3 was actually decent though, unlike two.

Kronk's new groove is alright at least as it still has David Spade as our lovable Emperor.

Thanks, snagged my third copy from Fry's and it had it. Now I just gotta return the others.

Cool & glad it worked out for you.

I'll probably just snag these double-packs down the road as I don't really need to spend anymore cash since I have the Marvel Phase One set coming up soon.

vazel

Banned
Thanks, snagged my third copy from Fry's and it had it. Now I just gotta return the others.
I know in the past you could call Disney's home video support to get a sleeve.
IIRC, it might borrow lightly from Nadia, but both borrow heavily from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Their shared differences from the original are small and common enough to be coincidental. So Atlantis only borrows from Nadia if we believe that's where Disney was looking while they were making it, but Disney has plausible deniability.

It would've been a better movie if it borrowed more from either one of them.
I love Atlantis but there's no denying they aped Nadia. Just look at the similarities between Kida and Nadia and their crystal/pendant.

Suairyu

Banned
So is there any reason why the Rescuers Down Under didn't get a blu release in the UK? The US seemed to get one in the form of the double pack.

Is Cindy 3 the Twist in Time one? I read an AMAZING review of that one that has had me reeeeeally curious to watch it.

Yep! It's funny because I was never a big fan of the first Cinderella movie as it is. I had heard Cinderella 2 was garbage. First time I noticed it was actually AT Walt Disney World Resort at the Magic Kingdom, I saw a poster for it and read it involved Time Travel, which is right up my alley.

It revisits part 1, and adds while not defaming the classic. I absolutely adored it. Highly recommended, tell me if you get it!

Theonik

What's their motive for taking the time to develop the DTV sequels in Blu Ray quality and packing it with the original? The double packs aren't more expensive, are they?
They add value to some people while packing them in is quite cheap. If they sold them separately not many would buy them either. In Europe they feel differently of course.

Still no spirited away?
Not even in Japan as of yet. Next round should be in the summer I would think for Japan, for the US you would have to wait for next year. Assuming they stick to their current release schedule. Note we don't even know if it's this round or the next etc. They are probably saving it as they know it will sell regardless.

I just need Kiki and Spirited Away and I'll be good.
Speaking of Kiki I was actually re-watching that last night. <3 Also figured I'd post this here. It's my personal screenshots from the JP BD release

So is there any reason why the Rescuers Down Under didn't get a blu release in the UK? The US seemed to get one in the form of the double pack.
I don't know why they did it but it's pretty terrible that they did. Of all the DTV sequels they wouldn't release it would have to be one I like! I could import of course, but I'm sorta fond of the spine numbers on the UK releases and have pretty strong OCD. (Sleeping Beauty is hidden for this reason on my collection)

Top Bottom