• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Suairyu

Banned
I don't know why they did it but it's pretty terrible that they did. Of all the DTV sequels they wouldn't release it would have to be one I like! I could import of course, but I'm sorta fond of the spine numbers on the UK releases and have pretty strong OCD. (Sleeping Beauty is hidden for this reason on my collection)
It's not a DTV sequel. It's an animated classic that was released in theatres. Hence why I want it, unlike the other sequels.

Downhome

Has the Lilo & Stitch link and cover been posted yet? It looks like I'll be doing another Disney Movie Club in June or so to get this, ENG, and Atlantis and a few other things at the same time. Woohoo!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BY6XM5E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

mV6jJWa.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's not a DTV sequel. It's an animated classic that was released in theatres. Hence why I want it, unlike the other sequels.
I remember watching it as a kid and later being surprised that it was a sequel.

How many theatrical sequels have there been to Disney animated films? I can only think of this.

qindarka

Banned
I remember watching it as a kid and later being surprised that it was a sequel.

How many theatrical sequels have there been to Disney animated films? I can only think of this.

It's the only true sequel, even then its vastly different in tone from the original. Some consider Fantasia 2000 and Winnie the Pooh to be sequels but I don't on account on them not happening chronologically after Fantasia and Many Adventures respectively, given that chronology doesn't matter in those films.

It may have been received theatrically but it was still, like the DTV sequels, made by Disneytoons instead of WDAS. I believe that Jungle Book 2 and Bambi 2 also received a theatrical release.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It may have been received theatrically but it was still, like the DTV sequels, made by Disneytoons instead of WDAS. I believe that Jungle Book 2 and Bambi 2 also received a theatrical release.

A better argument might be to wonder which sequels are considered "Animated Classics"--and the answer to that is Rescuers Down Under, Fantasia 2000, and Pooh 2011. And yeah, of those only Rescuers Down Under is really a "sequel" as opposed to Fantasia 2000 which is a remake/spiritual followup and Pooh 2011 which is just another story in the series.

I might have to do this DMC thing. I've always wanted a bunch of Disney blu rays but couldn't afford them..I have a lot to choose from, though. Gonna be hard to pick. aaaah

I only have Monsters Inc, Toy Story 1, Toy Story 3, Up, and Cars for Pixar blu rays. I have no Disney animation blu rays at all. :(

Downhome, how did you get the item numbers for stuff not listed on DMC? Will I have to tell the CSR the name of the titles instead?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just FYI, my Movie Club order got here (10 calendar days, sent to Canada)

ThlNk2yl.jpg

Has the cardboard sleeves for Tron, Great Mouse Detective, Pixar Short Films 2, Alice, and Incredibles... but not for Ratatouille or Pocahontas. Makes the Pocahontas release seem especially cheap since that's also a 2-movies-1-disc release. Oh well.

So as it turns out my membership off (again, Canadian offers differ from US) was 5 for $0.40 each + 1 for $14.95 + 1 for $9.95 + 3 more full price over the next several years. So that's one fewer than I imagined. My 3 more will be Hunchback, Mulan--which I just ordered, and Wreck-it Ralph...

... and then I'll cancel and get my girlfriend to subscribe, cha-ching

Well damn, tried to get Lion King, Mulan, and Hunchback...didn't work out. Maybe it's because I didn't have the item numbers, but I feel like it is going to be pretty hard to get those titles. How did you succeed Downhome!!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Why can't all the 2-movie covers be like Lilo & Stitch's or Hunchback's?

Why can't all of their packaging be as great as the Best Buy steelbook for The Lion King?

Does this mean there will be Emperor's New Groove merchandise in Disney stores?

My gosh, we can only hope.

I was sad that he never comes out at Walt Disney World ever. :(

Also, not crazy about the Blu Ray cover at all, ENG is too amazing to split it 50/50 with the less stellar sequel. Should be more like the Stitch cover at least.

Is there a version that only features the first one?

Honestly, those cheapquels are better relegated to the bonus features section as a mild curiosity.

Suairyu

Banned
Have Disney really started locking down special features to the 3D discs?

Looking at Brave, for example, half of the featurettes seem to only be available on the 3D version.

Was about to jump on Brave in the 2 for 1 deal, but...

Have Disney really started locking down special features to the 3D discs?

Looking at Brave, for example, half of the featurettes seem to only be available on the 3D version.

Was about to jump on Brave in the 2 for 1 deal, but...

Ugh, really? I picked up Brave awhile back but never watched it. I have no interest in 3D whatsoever but it's really going to annoy me if I have to start picking up the 3D copies for bonus features.

netguy503

Has the Lilo & Stitch link and cover been posted yet? It looks like I'll be doing another Disney Movie Club in June or so to get this, ENG, and Atlantis and a few other things at the same time. Woohoo!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BY6XM5E/?tag=neogaf0e-20

mV6jJWa.jpg

why can't I wait until June and order it then with Mulan/Hunchback/Brother Bear don't you need 5 items to complete your order? Right now those are the only 3 I want. Lilo and Stitch and Alantis combo packs would make it 5.

cory64

I wonder if the "Making of Atlantis" thing on the Blu-ray is the same as the stuff from the Collector's Edition DVD (which would be about 2 hours long).

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Picked up Peter and the Dragon today, my personal childhood favorite Disney movie. Was surprised it got a BR release.

netguy503

I wonder if the "Making of Atlantis" thing on the Blu-ray is the same as the stuff from the Collector's Edition DVD (which would be about 2 hours long).

Stitch had a good collectors edition as well. I hope everything is ported over (as well as new material).

I hate to be that guy (I could probably figure it out if I looked for the right post, but quick investigation does not help) - what's the point of that disney account you guys are paying for, exactly?
I know a lot of disney movies have coupons, which I never use b/c i only use amazon and my attempts to get the coupons working there always failed.

But this is something you pay for?

NoRéN

johnsmith

remember me
I hate to be that guy (I could probably figure it out if I looked for the right post, but quick investigation does not help) - what's the point of that disney account you guys are paying for, exactly?
I know a lot of disney movies have coupons, which I never use b/c i only use amazon and my attempts to get the coupons working there always failed.

But this is something you pay for?

What account are you talking about?

Are you asking about the disney blu-ray club? That's a way to get a lot of cheap blu-rays, about 9 for $90, which is an unbeatable deal. Even cheaper than using the coupons. This thread has details.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=151870

Or are you asking about disney movie rewards? That's just rewards program where you can use points you get from buying movies for free disney swag.

As for the coupons, amazon will have their own digital coupons for a limited time, a couple of months before release. I usually rely on this thread or the blu-ray.com forums to see when they're put up, as they're only available for a couple of days, maybe a week tops.

What account are you talking about?

Are you asking about the disney blu-ray club? That's a way to get a lot of cheap blu-rays, about 9 for $90, which is an unbeatable deal. Even cheaper than using the coupons. This thread has details.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=151870

Or are you asking about disney movie rewards? That's just rewards program where you can use points you get from buying movies for free disney swag.

As for the coupons, amazon will have their own digital coupons for a limited time, a couple of months before release. I usually rely on this thread or the blu-ray.com forums to see when they're put up, as they're only available for a couple of days, maybe a week tops.

Mm. Interesting. What's the catch? you're supposed to call them to cancel a yearly renewal, or..? It seems too goo to be true.

johnsmith

remember me
Mm. Interesting. What's the catch? you're supposed to call them to cancel a yearly renewal, or..? It seems too goo to be true.

The catch is you need to make sure you cancel the monthly featured titles or they'll send them to you automatically. That's it, really. You can cancel your account as soon as you buy the 2 extra titles beyond the initial 7.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

It's like any other club, like Columbia House. Once you sign up you have a commitment. Every month they suggest a title to you, and if you buy it it counts towards your commitment. But you need to explicitly tell them (via phone, mail, or online) that you don't want the commitment every month if you don't. As long as you're a member they'll keep spamming you. The commitment titles are full price ($29.99/34.99/39.99 depending on country and DVD vs Blu).

Like most other systems in life, if you master it and abuse it you'll do well, but the system relies on enough chumps failing at the system to make it ultra-profitable.

It's like any other club, like Columbia House. Once you sign up you have a commitment. Every month they suggest a title to you, and if you buy it it counts towards your commitment. But you need to explicitly tell them (via phone, mail, or online) that you don't want the commitment every month if you don't. As long as you're a member they'll keep spamming you. The commitment titles are full price ($29.99/34.99/39.99 depending on country and DVD vs Blu).

Like most other systems in life, if you master it and abuse it you'll do well, but the system relies on enough chumps failing at the system to make it ultra-profitable.

Ahah. I had never heard of a system like that. So basically, to not be a chump, you need to buy four (five? three? two? some number) of extra disks, and then after that, call them to cancel. And if you don't explicitely tell them you don't want to send you something, they send you something and charge you.

Is that the idea?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ahah. I had never heard of a system like that. So basically, to not be a chump, you need to buy four (five? three? two? some number) of extra disks, and then after that, call them to cancel. And if you don't explicitely tell them you don't want to send you something, they send you something and charge you.

Is that the idea?

Good usage of the system:
- Use a signup code that gives you a better deal (more "free" movies at the start, fewer commitment titles once you've signed up)
- Only sign up when you are sure you want the minimum number of titles (so you never order any "filler" titles)
- Only buy the bare minimum number of titles and then immediately cancel.
- Don't take advantage of the coupons or discounts they offer you, which are better than regular pricing for the movies but worse than your per-movie price if you us the system.

Bad usage of the system:
- Just sign up using any old code
- Order filler
- Don't respond to featured titles so they get shipped to you and you get billed their full enormous price
- Don't cancel when you're done

Kayma

Tried to do the DMC today (About 5 PM EDT), but my CSR wouldn't let the latest 3 releases (Mulan, Brother Bear, Hunchback) go on my first order. I have some backups, but hopefully I'll have more luck calling back in a few days.

Top Bottom