• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Christopher

the-little-mermaid-4fdc772ec163c.png

51nd2c72X2L._SY300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036TGT2A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

61ljp3EUKwL._SY300_.jpg

61r%2BHr8qa9L._SY300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C7607BC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I included the coupon version for each.

Again the 3D Version is the Top Version comes with: DVD, Blu Ray, 3D Blu Ray, Digial Copy and Musical Download.

The Gold Border Vesion is: DVD, Blu Ray, Digial Copy

The Blue Border Version is: DVD, Blu Ray

LadyRiven

Good. Now all I need is a Goofy Movie and Hercules.
I'm honestly in shock at how neglected Goofy Movie is. It's seriously only available in 4:3 on DVD only.

A BD release of A Goofy Movie would make me incredibly happy. Awesome movie with a fantastic soundtrack that I listened to on repeat as a kid.

I saw on Film Aficionado that Oliver and Company is coming out on BD this Summer. Is that correct? No pre-order up on Amazon yet.

Out of those Little Mermaid covers, I definitely like the gold one the best!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Taking into account that the 6 package films are not likely to get a public-facing blu-ray release, there are only 9 remaining unannounced films in the regular canon; 101 Dalmatians, Sword in the Stone, Jungle Book, Robin Hood, Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Black Cauldron, Aladdin, Hercules, and Tarzan. Of those only 101 Dalmatians and Aladdin are really "significant" films in the sense that I think they'd likely to be fancy-ass marquee releases. So they could probably be "done" by the end of next year if they keep their release schedule up.

Taking into account that the 6 package films are not likely to get a public-facing blu-ray release, there are only 9 remaining unannounced films in the regular canon; 101 Dalmatians, Sword in the Stone, Jungle Book, Robin Hood, Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Black Cauldron, Aladdin, Hercules, and Tarzan. Of those only 101 Dalmatians and Aladdin are really "significant" films in the sense that I think they'd likely to be fancy-ass marquee releases. So they could probably be "done" by the end of next year if they keep their release schedule up.

I'd add Tarzan to that list. It's considered the last film of the Disney Renaissance, and it really does deserve the full Blu-ray treatment. It's a phenomenal film.

Gameboy415

I've run into an issue. Ordered Who Framed Roger Rabbit from Best Buy since I had a Reward Zone certificate and Amazon dicked my order over. It shipped through that half-assed method of UPS dropping it off with the USPS, who then delivers it to me. Well the tracking site says it was delivered March 30, but I don't have it and UPS doesn't have it and USPS doesn't have it. I've e-mailed Best Buy support. Am I SOL?

I went through a similar debacle with Best Buy for a pre-owned game I ordered a few weeks back.
The tracking stated that it had arrived at my local Post Office during the week, then inexplicably got sent to Chicago, and then delivered somewhere on 4/13.
I called the support number on my order e-mail, explained that I hadn't received my item, and the support rep was able to re-ship another copy to me.
Maybe give them a call?

2459_large.jpg

August 26th

YES!!!! One of my top 3 Disney movies! I can't wait! :D

cory64

Keep in mind that every one of those has been announced or already released outside of North America except for The Black Cauldron.

LadyRiven

Some current good deals on Disney blu-rays on Amazon right now:

Bambi $17.70
The Great Mouse Detective $17.99
Treasure Planet $12.99

If you don't have Treasure Planet you should DEFINITELY get it at that price!

NR1

My local Blockbuster is closing down and they are getting rid of all their stock. All blu-rays are currently $7.99! I was very lucky and grabbed their last copy of Sleeping Beauty! Not bad!

cory64

Wow, I knew a few like 101 Dalmatians and Aladdin were, but I didn't know it was quite that diverse.
Yeah, I don't see how they don't finish (other than the package films) by the end of 2014, if not sooner.

I'll wait for the Black Cauldron/Song of the South two-pack to be announced.
It's not that dire, Black Cauldron got a 25th anniversary edition and it even had a great new transfer while Oliver didn't.

the Black Cauldron aint THAT bad

OK, it's kinda a complete mess narrative wise, and it has like...zero interesting characters, or even a sympathetic protagonist...

ok, it's kinda bad, but it's REALLY pretty! There's a lot of great animation in here, some godlike backgrounds. The shit cost five times as much as the last few Disney movies, but that money is all up there on the screen. It'll be a good-lookin' Blu-Ray if it ever happens

Nemesis_

Cross post from the pickup thread.

I didn't believe my eyes when I saw it sitting on the shelf. I didn't realise it was even out yet, after a quick google search it seems Australia is the first to get it. About time.

I'm in Australia too but if Australia is the first to get it (but instead receives the most god-awful packaging) then I don't mind waiting tbh.

And I got so nervous when I thought I would have to buy that hideous Gold Mermaid cover. 3D for me :3

cory64

I want more shorts tbh
Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry have 2 sets each, would it be that painful for them to put out a Donald or Mickey set?
(they did put out a Donald Christmas set last year in those weird countries that deify Donald)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've been thinking about getting Wings of Life, but I just got the BBC one with Oprah narrating.

Emperor's New Groove is the last great animated Disney movie, in my opinion. Didn't care that much for Princess and the Frog.
Preordered Mermaid 3d(just for dat box art), Emperror's, and Lilo. Wish Lilo and Emperor's came with the tv shows on blu-ray instead of the second movie just because those were much better, but I understand why. Disney's finally getting into some stuff that I care about. Little Mermaid was the first and only Disney Princess movie that I really liked.

We're finally starting to get into movies that I care about from Disney after the release of Lion King. Is there ANY possibility of some of the Mickey Mouse stuff getting a blu-ray? I know that Goofy Movie will likely be done eventually in the same vein as the other non-diamond releases, but I'd like to see the Three Musketeers movie on blu-ray. More importantly, I want Walt's Treasures rereleased on bluray.\

Oh and put out Treasure of the Lost Lamp on Blu Ray.
My main question is, with Aladdin, do they do a 3 pack set like Lion King with Return of Jaffar and the King of Thieves? Because King of Thieves is like my favorite straight to VHS movie ever.

Christopher

I've been thinking about getting Wings of Life, but I just got the BBC one with Oprah narrating.

Emperor's New Groove is the last great animated Disney movie, in my opinion. Didn't care that much for Princess and the Frog.
Preordered Mermaid 3d(just for dat box art), Emperror's, and Lilo. Wish Lilo and Emperor's came with the tv shows on blu-ray instead of the second movie just because those were much better, but I understand why. Disney's finally getting into some stuff that I care about. Little Mermaid was the first and only Disney Princess movie that I really liked.

We're finally starting to get into movies that I care about from Disney after the release of Lion King. Is there ANY possibility of some of the Mickey Mouse stuff getting a blu-ray? I know that Goofy Movie will likely be done eventually in the same vein as the other non-diamond releases, but I'd like to see the Three Musketeers movie on blu-ray. More importantly, I want Walt's Treasures rereleased on bluray.

Oh and put out Treasure of the Lost Lamp on Blu Ray.
My main question is, with Aladdin, do they do a 3 pack set like Lion King with Return of Jaffar and the King of Thieves? Because King of Thieves is like my favorite straight to VHS movie ever.

Aladdin will most likely have a trilogy set like the other classics have.

Jungle Book is after mermaid guys and the. After that Aladdin and then were done!

Then it starts again!

I just need Snow White Sleeping Beauty and Pinnochio digitally

vazel

Banned
If The Great Mouse Detective made it to BD then so will The Black Cauldron.

The Black Cauldron got a much improved DVD remaster in 2010. The Great Mouse Detective also received a DVD remaster several years before the BD release.

For those looking for cheap points for DMR. I noticed many places are selling Ducktales for around $10 and they all come with codes. What surprised me though was that Volume 1 and 2 are worth 75 each, but with Volume 3 you get 125. All three volumes are 3-disc sets.

For those looking for cheap points for DMR. I noticed many places are selling Ducktales for around $10 and they all come with codes. What surprised me though was that Volume 1 and 2 are worth 75 each, but with Volume 3 you get 125. All three volumes are 3-disc sets.

amazon has them for $9 each( along with dark wing duck , tales spine, chip and dale)

Thanks for making me look and reminding me how expensive the DVD of the movie is. :(

Yikes! Sorry about that :/ I guess I really forgot how lucky I was I grabbed it off of DMR when it was there.

Was it really? I still have my VHS copy for now... :p I wouldn't mind a dvd though. I'll have to look at that amazon.uk eventually. Wonder how shipping will be.

Region 2, though, so he'd need a region free player or to rip it. Unless he's buying it just for the points :p

That's same region as germany right? I have a dvd player for my germany dvds so I should be fine ironically enough. :p

Top Bottom