• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

cory64

DMC mailer:
Robin Hood Oliver & Sword in the Stone for $50
RH and SitS for $35

No new Disney Afternoon sets this month

They're also introducing: http://www.disneycollectorcards.com/ if you want some collectibles, just remember to cancel immediately. Edit: nevermind, you can't cancel it without returning them until after you pay for the first full price set. Why can't we have nice things?

Downhome

Holy crap.

I just got the Mickey & Yen Sid Fantasia sculpture in the mail. The box weighed 35 pounds or so and the thing is gigantic. I'm uploading pictures of the entire unboxing right now. I have no clue where I am going to put this thing. As of right now I have it boxed back up. We are in the process of closing on a house so we can move out of this apartment so it'll likely stay in storage until closing, which should be at the first of September. Anyway, here are the various pictures of it. Enjoy!

VNyIDid.jpg

51A0rbc.jpg

qfjGL55.jpg

0S0rbDh.jpg

30dqkkR.jpg

hmB6CoJ.jpg

IKKVVFN.jpg

jP2eq4X.jpg

9OX07Em.jpg

KEQox4A.jpg

UHwIsNC.jpg

jxGYSXb.jpg

TzVfk68.jpg

qwKwzy9.jpg

2n9Npco.jpg

SX7K9Om.jpg

exvxfRs.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DMC mailer:
Robin Hood Oliver & Sword in the Stone for $50
RH and SitS for $35

God damnit. Robin Hood is my favourite Disney movie but my mother called me a few weeks ago and said "Did you know they're releasing Robin Hood on Blu-Ray? I'll have to get it for your birthday!!!" :/

They're also introducing: http://www.disneycollectorcards.com/ if you want some collectibles, just remember to cancel immediately. Edit: nevermind, you can't cancel it without returning them until after you pay for the first full price set. Why can't we have nice things?

I wonder if the back of these is suitable for use as a postcard.

Downhome

I finished out my current account by ordering the Robin Hood/Sword in the Stone featured selection (got the free Chicken Little beach ball too, just add it to the order). In the end I got ten Blu-ray titles and the free beach ball which comes to $8.02 for each item, or $9.08 for each Blu-ray, not counting the beach ball. Not bad!

Downhome

I have been charged for Robin Hood and Sword in the Stone so they should be shipping today or so. Awesome.

The Mickey and Yen Sid one is the really amazing one. Theoriticaly speaking, if someone was able to sell it for around $1,000 it would be equal to getting more than 100 Disney Blu-ray titles of all sorts in the DMC. That is crazy. Look at it like you can then get 100 more, or if you've been a member of the club for a while look at it like you just got your last 100 titles for free. I know they don't expect most people to use the club like we do but I'm still shocked they would even offer such a prize just for the points.

All of my titles form my latest DMC membership should be showing up this week, and just like that I'll have almost 1700 points in my DMR account after spending all but 30 of my points on the Fantasia sculpture a very short while ago. To put it into perspective, it's truly insane how I could just about have enough points for the Genie sculpture already if it was still available, which I could in theory sell for more than what these movies cost me to flat out buy.

I realize more and more just how great this combination of the two clubs are. It's crazy.

Sushigod7

I forgot to cancel my Club selection last month so I have Lilo & Stitch with Emperors New Groove coming not sure if I'll keep or not. I have L&S on DVD I guess if they both count toward new titles this would close me out and I could get back in by ordering some new stuff. Anyone pick up L&S Blu?

Downhome

I have L&S but I have yet to watch it. The release got great reviews in terms of audio/visual quality, but one constant complaint is how the audio commentary track is only on the DVD so you can't watch it in HD and listen to the audio commentary at the same time. What a stupid, stupid decision. Also, it is missing an entire second disc of extras that were on the most recent DVD release. Again, a stupid, stupid decision.

As for hoping that the two both count as commitments, they wont. The featured title "combos" only count as one commitment selection.

Sushigod7

I have L&S but I have yet to watch it. The release got great reviews in terms of audio/visual quality, but one constant complaint is how the audio commentary track is only on the DVD so you can't watch it in HD and listen to the audio commentary at the same time. What a stupid, stupid decision. Also, it is missing an entire second disc of extras that were on the most recent DVD release. Again, a stupid, stupid decision.

As for hoping that the two both count as commitments, they wont. The featured title "combos" only count as one commitment selection.

Ahh well that makes it easy then I'll just return them it wasn't a great deal anyway. Thanks for the tips!

Nemesis_

Why would someone quote the OP ;_;

Anyway, am I missing any of these future releases for 2013? I don't have a reliable way to filter Disney Blu-ray on Amazon.

August 6th, 2013

August 13th, 2013

August 20th, 2013

August 27th, 2013

September 10th, 2013

November 5th, 2013

UNCONFIRMED ???

BHK3

Banned
So I got an email for 5 movies for 5 dollars from disneys movie club, whats the catch? It's saying I'm not a member when I try to log in and when I try to sign up it says 4 movies for 1 dollar. There's no big wall of text for me to read on the terms and conditions so I really don't know anything about this.

Edit: Nevermind I found it, I need to purchase 5 regular priced movies within the next 24 months. Idk how they'll hold me to that, it says I can cancel after making the order...I'll just wait for deals or the movies to pop up in the buy/sell/trade thread.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So I got an email for 5 movies for 5 dollars from disneys movie club, whats the catch? It's saying I'm not a member when I try to log in and when I try to sign up it says 4 movies for 1 dollar. There's no big wall of text for me to read on the terms and conditions so I really don't know anything about this.

Edit: Nevermind I found it, I need to purchase 5 regular priced movies within the next 24 months. Idk how they'll hold me to that, it says I can cancel after making the order...I'll just wait for deals or the movies to pop up in the buy/sell/trade thread.

How does anyone hold you to anything? They'll charge your credit card for full price movies and if your card doesn't work or you don't pay, they'll send it to collections?

But for what it's worth, the deals you're suggesting are terrible. If you read the last page or two of this thread you'll see that it's possible for an American DMC member to get 10 blu-rays for $90-100 dollars and cancel issue-free.

Downhome

Search for all of my posts in this thread and you'll find my detailed instructions on how to properly use the club. Long story short you can buy 7 Blu-rays for $20.xx or so and only need to buy two more in two years to fulfil the account and then be able to cancel. It ends up being $90 max for up to 10 movies depending on how you buy, can be a lot cheaper if you work it right as well.

They make money off of the club hoping that marks come along and sign up for it with the default terms, not off of us who know how to use it to our advantage. There are a lot more of the marks that sign up, thus the club remains.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Does Aladdin have an NA release date yet?

Nope. But probably next fall; Disney normally releases two high profile titles a year. Little Mermaid is this fall, Jungle Book is next spring. 101 Dalmatians, Aladdin, and maybe Tarzan would be the only high profile stuff left. Of course they could release anything at any point so who knows?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Man, it taunts you how your visual focus is drawn towards the two dogs that are not available on blu-ray as of the end of this summer.

Christopher

Other where there are however with the reloading Sleeping Beauty again next year...I can only wonder when dalmations and or Aladdin are coming out

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Is it worth it to sign up for the rewards program thing? I do buy most of the big name releases other then that nothing.

Downhome

Is it worth it to sign up for the rewards program thing? I do buy most of the big name releases other then that nothing.

Give me a list of Disney studio distributed titles you are wanting to buy that are either already out, or will be coming out by the end of the year...

You'll pay $9 or less per title if there are enough you want, it just depends. You can't buy Disney releases cheaper anywhere else. Add in the DMR points and it's a crazy good deal.

Gameboy415

I found out that there's an official Disney shop on eBay that sells DMC exclusives now, so I went ahead and ordered a copy of Goof Troop vol. 1!

THANK YOU for sharing this!

I've been hesitant to sign up for the club (I've had some horrific experiences with mail-order clubs in the past) but this saved me the trouble.
Looks like Goof Troop is OOS at the moment, but I just scooped up a copy of Gargoyles S2P2 and Talespin V3! :D

vazel

Banned
Why is Disney being stingy with the stock at their eBay store. I saw Gargoyles was down to 10 copies so I immediately ordered one. I don't want to risk them never restocking their eBay store as I don't want to sign up for DMC again.

I'm hyped for a complete Gargoyles rewatch on DVD(Season 3 is bad so that one doesn't matter). Before this I had to watch the second half of season 2 with crappy quality TV rips.

Edit: Gargoyles has been restocked. Good on Disney. Now restock Goof Troop.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The Jungle Book and ..... Sleeping Beauty announced for Blu Ray.
Anyone know if the new Sleeping Beauty will have anything extra?

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=11805

Glad they finally dated Jungle Book and it's early. Sleeping Beauty is the first Diamond re-release so hard to say if they'll update it or not. Maybe they'll given it a nice beautiful pass through the Digital Noise Reducer like Sword and the Stone and Oliver up there ;)

vazel

Banned
Glad they finally dated Jungle Book and it's early. Sleeping Beauty is the first Diamond re-release so hard to say if they'll update it or not. Maybe they'll given it a nice beautiful pass through the Digital Noise Reducer like Sword and the Stone and Oliver up there ;)
Disney's past Diamond releases already used DNR. There's a good use and a bad use of DNR. Disney usually uses DNR well which is why those Sword and the Stone images are so shocking. I wonder what happened.

Draconian

Those are two great movies. I'll probably get both at some point. Does this have any impact on Aladdin or is it just wishful thinking that that's coming out next year now?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Why would someone quote the OP ;_;

Anyway, am I missing any of these future releases for 2013? I don't have a reliable way to filter Disney Blu-ray on Amazon.

August 6th, 2013

August 13th, 2013

August 20th, 2013

August 27th, 2013

September 10th, 2013

October 1, 2013

October 29, 2013
[URL="http://www.amazon.com/Monsters-University-Blu-ray-Digital-Copy/dp/B008JFUPOY/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1375636527&sr=1-1&keywords=monsters+university]Monster University[/URL]​

November 5th, 2013

December 10, 2013
Mary Poppins​

I would like to bump this release list. I had hard time to find one with Google since Disney got rid of their release calendar for bluray/dvd. Also I added two movies and fixed the list.

cory64

For the transfers of the sketchy era films on Blu-ray I'd have to go:
Fox and the Hound>The Rescuers>The Great Mouse Detective>Robin Hood=Aristocats=Oliver>>>>>The Sword in the Stone

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Those are two great movies. I'll probably get both at some point. Does this have any impact on Aladdin or is it just wishful thinking that that's coming out next year now?

They haven't unvaulted anything before, so it's hard to say if they consider Sleeping Beauty to "take up" the Fall Diamond slot or if they'll release 3 next year or 2 + Sleeping Beauty

Theonik

Disney's past Diamond releases already used DNR. There's a good use and a bad use of DNR. Disney usually uses DNR well which is why those Sword and the Stone images are so shocking. I wonder what happened.
Sleeping Beauty was shot on 70mm film, so the grain is a lot finer when transferred digitally. Thus, it looks better even with DNR. There can be a variety of reasons for what happened with Sword in the Stone, it's not the only such transfer Disney felt they needed to smear though so I'm guessing they didn't like how grainy the film stock was.

Top Bottom