• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

vazel

Banned
Disney had a replacement program for the minor errors in Pinocchio. Hopefully they will for this too.

I already have The Little Mermaid 3D pre-ordered. This will mark the 4th Blu-ray I've gotten that has errors. Starship Troopers, Pinocchio, and The Truman Show. Out of those only The Truman Show didn't have a replacement program(the disc had a slightly distorted aspect ratio).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How the crap do you screw something like that up?

The Little Mermaid was still made using cels (it's the last pre-CAPS Disney film). I believe when they do restorations on cel-based stuff, rather than taking the composited film, they actually digitize and clean up the constituent cels. This is presumably also why you have issues with transitions or credits, since each would be redone. So they basically need to re-assemble the film entirely. It stands to reason that it'd be fairly easy to flub the shot order. But I'm not sure how no one would have manually caught it viewing the remaster. Both because you'd think they'd have a shot list or a more detailed storyboard, or because you'd expect them to do a side-by-side comparison to make sure there's no timing issues, or because you'd expect someone to watch it because actually the sequence looks visually weird even if you didn't know the original order.

Agent_J

Every time I see this bumped I think to myself, maybe this time it's a bit of Aladdin news....
i let myself down every time i enter this thread :(
seriously i don't understand how Disney can ignore one of their most popular, loved, and demanded movies for so long! i hope it's because they're restoring all three movies for a collection. i really hope so..

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Well apparently sleeping beauty is coming back next fall which pushes Aladdin back further

It's hard to say; they've only done a maximum of two diamond edition films a year, but they also haven't un-vaulted diamond editions until now (and no platinum edition got unvaulted before, and no gold classics got unvaulted, and they only unvaulted masterpiece collection tapes after they finished new masterpiece releases--what i'm saying is that this is totally unprecedented for disney) so it's hard to say if that means for sure they wouldn't do a diamond edition next fall besides.

The Little Mermaid was still made using cels (it's the last pre-CAPS Disney film). I believe when they do restorations on cel-based stuff, rather than taking the composited film, they actually digitize and clean up the constituent cels. This is presumably also why you have issues with transitions or credits, since each would be redone. So they basically need to re-assemble the film entirely. It stands to reason that it'd be fairly easy to flub the shot order. But I'm not sure how no one would have manually caught it viewing the remaster. Both because you'd think they'd have a shot list or a more detailed storyboard, or because you'd expect them to do a side-by-side comparison to make sure there's no timing issues, or because you'd expect someone to watch it because actually the sequence looks visually weird even if you didn't know the original order.
I highly, highly doubt they have the original animation cels. CAPS was used for a scene or two, actually. The error could have been in the print that they used, which might not have been a final print. Most likely someone goofed up in whatever editing program they use. I'm less concerned about how it happened, rather why no one caught it.

Whoa, seriously? I thought The Little Mermaid was the first CAPS film.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well I finally caved and bought Sword In The Stone, Robin Hood, and the Muppets OG. I've done a good job of saving my wallet by just buying the movies that I really love.

Which means all I need now is Aladdin(With all 3 movies), Goofy Movie(if they ever do it), 101 Dalmations, Jungle Book, Hercules, and Tarzan.

...Lord, that's still a lot. And I keep holding out we'll get a rerelease of the Walt Disney Treasures. Or a blu-ray of a bunch of the old shorts like Clock Cleaners.

About to complete my first membership and am planning my titles for my second membership. I have a couple of questions:
1. Do I need to cancel my membership and sign up again manually?
2. Any way to make the 3D blu rays as part of my initial free titles?

Sushigod7

About to complete my first membership and am planning my titles for my second membership. I have a couple of questions:
1. Do I need to cancel my membership and sign up again manually?
2. Any way to make the 3D blu rays as part of my initial free titles?

Interested in #1 as well going to try and do my last two then cancel and sign up again if thats what you need to do.

isny

napkin dispenser
I think Rowlf's fur is the biggest sign of the visual improvements, honestly.

The little details like the dirt on the road while talking to the hitchhiking Big Bird, or the visual quality of the tube TV's in the TV store, or the cut parts of the frame which were added back in; those are some of the things I appreciated most about it, however, things like felt and fur did indeed stand out and look amazing in HD versus the DVD.

Go watch the TRON one if there's one still out there...

I don't doubt that TRON looks amazing, I've been meaning to get that for a while now. When I buy live-action BluRay movies, it's either because they're SFX heavy or for some reason they're way cheaper than their DVD counterpart (Hangover, Bad Teacher). Or when a studio decides to be a butthole and load the BRD with extras/extended cuts and the DVD with nothing (Horrible Bosses).

I've been on such a Disney hiatus that I'm behind by about 7 releases. Gonna pre-order TLM for sure though.

Same. Still have to pick up L&T and PP aside from a few others... Picking up IM3 as well next month and of course I have to get TLM... Guh, I'm so behind on my Disney BDs...

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Highly recommend getting Robin Hood. The movie's got Peter Ustinov in it for God's sake.

Also reminiscing about the cel art they used to ship with the VHSes. Wish they still did that(do they?) Still got the Aristrocats, Toy Story, 101 Dalmatians, and Aladdin ones.

i let myself down every time i enter this thread :(
seriously i don't understand how Disney can ignore one of their most popular, loved, and demanded movies for so long! i hope it's because they're restoring all three movies for a collection. i really hope so..

Aladdin is available in EU, you can always order that until it get a US release.

Fei

I caved and bought Aladdin from Amazon UK. I can't help but think it'll be years before Aladdin finally comes out here. It looks/sounds awesome. And if you're wondering whether a movie is region free, it's listed on their website.

Amazon UK is surprisingly cheap. The blu-ray only cost $22 shipped. Really happy. I might get my daughter 101 Dalmatians for Christmas.

I caved and bought Aladdin from Amazon UK. I can't help but think it'll be years before Aladdin finally comes out here. It looks/sounds awesome. And if you're wondering whether a movie is region free, it's listed on their website.

Amazon UK is surprisingly cheap. The blu-ray only cost $22 shipped. Really happy. I might get my daughter 101 Dalmatians for Christmas.

Disney blu-rays are cheap in Europe.

Just look at this:
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00D2KSWN2/

20 Disney / Pixar blu-rays for 116 €. The box is acutally cheaper at other retailers.

This set includes:

- Monsters Inc.
- Brother Bear
- Fox and Hound
- The Incredibles
- The Rescuers
- Mulan SE
- Pocahontas
- A Bug's Life
- Robin Hood SE
- Aristocats Special Edition
- Ratatouille
- Finding Nemo
- Wall-E
- Beauty and the Beast - Diamond Edition
- Tangled
- The Lion King - Diamond Edition
- Aladdin
- The Little Mermaid - Diamond Edition
- Jungle Book - Diamond Edition
- Tarzan

I would have bought this but I already own most of the movies on blu-ray.

I know this is stretching "Disney Blu Ray" a bit, but it is technically owned by them.

Does anyone own "Once Upon a Time" seasons 1 and 2 on Blu? I see there were special Target and Best Buy editions of seasons 1 and 2. Were these worth going out of the way to get?

Picked up Emperor's (and Kronk's) New Groove, Sword in the Stone, and Robin Hood today at Target. With those, Great Mouse Detective, and The Lion King all I want is for Aladdin, The Black Cauldron, and 101 Dalmations to be released and I'll be all set, myself.

johnsmith

remember me
Just signed up for the Disney Movie Club for the 2nd time. Ended up getting

Mulan
Hunchback
Treasure Planet
Who Framged Roger Rabbit
My Neighbor Totoro
Howl's Moving Castle
Whisper of the Heart

I should have tried calling in though to see if they would have let me get something else instead of Treasure Planet. Picked that one for lack of better choices on their website.

isny

napkin dispenser
Just signed up for the Disney Movie Club for the 2nd time. Ended up getting

Mulan
Hunchback
Treasure Planet
Who Framged Roger Rabbit
My Neighbor Totoro
Howl's Moving Castle
Whisper of the Heart

I should have tried calling in though to see if they would have let me get something else instead of Treasure Planet. Picked that one for lack of better choices on their website.

Totoro and Howl are now available as sign up titles? So tempting! Once Monsters U is available as a sign up title I think I'll finally bite!

mrkgoo

I just saw Aladdin on Blu-Ray at the shops.

What's the deal with this? I thought Diamond Edition hadn't been released yet...is this another edition? When did it come out? (NZ).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I just saw Aladdin on Blu-Ray at the shops.

What's the deal with this? I thought Diamond Edition hadn't been released yet...is this another edition? When did it come out? (NZ).

Aladdin is out in UK/PAL/AU/NZ regions, just not US. It is not a Diamond edition and I believe has minimal extras ported directly from the DVD. Most of us believe that Aladdin is likely to be a 2014 Diamond in the US so if you're not dying to have it today or if you want to bask in the extras, wait for that.

Where the shit is the Goofy Movie. The only version available is an out of print fullscreen version. Fullscreen. Come on Disney!

Which films are left to release on Bluray anyway?

mrkgoo

Aladdin is out in UK/PAL/AU/NZ regions, just not US. It is not a Diamond edition and I believe has minimal extras ported directly from the DVD. Most of us believe that Aladdin is likely to be a 2014 Diamond in the US so if you're not dying to have it today or if you want to bask in the extras, wait for that.
Ah, I see thanks.

Is it still a remastered version?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Where the shit is the Goofy Movie. The only version available is an out of print fullscreen version. Fullscreen. Come on Disney!

Which films are left to release on Bluray anyway?

in which region? If you mean in the US...

Animated Classics: (see OP)
Saludos Amigos
The Three Caballeros
Make Mine Music
Fun and Fancy Free
Melody Time
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
One Hundred and One Dalmatians
The Jungle Book
The Black Cauldron
Aladdin
Hercules
Tarzan

Animation, Other:
Aladdin II: Return of Jafar / Aladdin III: King of Thieves
A Goofy Movie / An Extremely Goofy Movie
DuckTales: The Movie
Pooh's Heffalump Movie

Animation / Live Action Hybrid:
The Reluctant Dragon
Song of the South
Victory Through Air Power
So Dear to My Heart
Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Ghibli: (some releases may or may not end up being Disney in the end, not sure what the rights are for any individual title)
Kiki's Delivery Service
Only Yesterday
Porco Rosso
Ocean Waves
Pom Poko
Princess Mononoke
My Neighbors the Yamadas
Spirited Away
The Cat Returns
Tales from Earthsea
From Up on Poppy Hill (Edit: Thanks XShagrath)

I also excluded anything that is already dated (Jungle Book, Mary Poppins, etc)

Is it still a remastered version?

Yes.

Some screencaps should you want them (not my website, also the caps are JPGs so you'll see some quality crush there)
http://disneyscreencaps.com/aladdin-1992/

XShagrath

Studio Ghibli's "From Up on Poppy Hill" just got a US release on blu-ray through someone. I can't tell looking at the box. A couple logos are GKIDS, and NewVideo.

I picked it up for $18 at Costco. Amazon's got it for $22.19.

Tunic

Went to the Washington State Fair today and one of the kiosks had "classic" DVDs for sale. At the front of the kiosk was a blatant bootleg of Song of the South which they were selling for $40. They even had the "DVD" playing. Wish I took a picture, I really hope they are not successful in selling that crap.

Top Bottom