• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Gameboy415

Deal-alerts for Disney fans!

For anyone with a Costco membership:

-All Disney Blu-Ray combo packs are $16.99 after instant rebate
-All Disney 3D Blu-Ray combo packs are $23.99 after instant rebate
-Totoro & Howl's are $24.99 each

*I don't remember for sure, but I think the signs said the prices were good through 5/31.

I also noticed that some of the upcoming releases are available for pre-order at $19.99 a pop on Amazon:
-Emperor's/Kronk's New Groove
-Lilo & Stitch
-Oliver & Company
-The Muppet Movie (this one's even less - $18.55)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So is there a concise/complete list of Disney animated films that have a blu ray release?

I've actually never seen Return to Neverland, which is odd because apparently it had a theatrical release.

I'm baffled because Return of Jafar and/or King of Thieves would make a solid theatrical release. Return to Neverland? wat

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So is there a concise/complete list of Disney animated films that have a blu ray release?

US releases---

Animated Classics: See OP

Studio Ghibli films that Disney dubs/distributes: See above
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies*
My Neighbor Totoro
Whisper of the Heart
Howl's Moving Castle
Ponyo
Arrietty
From Up on Poppy Hill *

* = Not Disney in US, but part of Ghibli so I'll include them because of the connection.

Every Pixar film + 2 volumes of pre-movie shorts + Cars shorts

Sequels included in the Blu-Rays for the original movies:
Kronk's New Groove
Atlantis II: Fart Sandwich
Brother Bear II
Hunchback of Notre Dame II
Mulan II
Pocahontas II
Fox and the Hound 2
Lilo and Stitch 2

Sequels that got separate Blu-Ray releases:
Lion King 2
Lion King 1.5
Cinderella 2 / Cinderella 3
Bambi II
Lady and the Tramp II
Tigger Movie
Return to Neverland
Plus the Tinkerbell series (I think there's 5 of these)
Edit: Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas.

In other words--every film that has been released on Blu has had its sequels/prequels released on Blu. The only exceptions so far are that only some of the Pooh movies are released so far (there are 5 or 6 unreleased, and of those only Piglet's Big Movie has a planned release soon), Beauty and the Beast doesn't have its weird made-for-TV sequels released has the second film released but not the third, and that the Lilo and Stitch 2-pack only includes 2 of the 4 movies in the series. Aladdin and the Little Mermaid each have two sequels, Tarzan has one, 101 Dalmatians has one, and that's pretty much all the ones they count.

Hybrid animation stuff:
Enchanted
Pete's Dragon
Who Framed Roger Rabbit*

Tim Burton:
James and the Giant Peach
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Frankenweenie

Other:
Gnomeo and Juliet*
Prep and Landing
G-Force
Mars Needs Moms
Tron
Tron Legacy
The Wild*
A Christmas Carol

* = Only sort of Disney

isny

napkin dispenser
US releases---

Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies*
My Neighbor Totoro
Whisper of the Heart
Howl's Moving Castle
Ponyo
Arrietty
From Up on Poppy Hill

* = Not Disney in US, but part of Ghibli list

Kronk's New Groove
Brother Bear II
Mulan II
Pocahontas II
Fox and the Hound 2
Lilo and Stitch 2

Lion King 2
Lion King 1.5
Bambi II
Lady and the Tramp II
Tigger Movie
Return to Neverland

In other words--every film that has been released on Blu has had its sequels/prequels released on Blu. The only exceptions so far are that only some of the Pooh movies are released so far (there are 5 or 6 unreleased, and of those only Piglet's Big Movie has a planned release soon), Beauty and the Beast doesn't have its weird made-for-TV sequels released, and that the Lilo and Stitch 2-pack only includes 2 of the 4 movies in the series. Aladdin and the Little Mermaid each have two sequels, Tarzan has one, 101 Dalmatians has one,

Hybrid animation stuff:
Enchanted
Pete's Dragon
Who Framed Roger Rabbit*

Tim Burton:
Frankenweenie

Other:
Gnomeo and Juliet*
Prep and Landing
G-Force
Mars Needs Moms
Tron
Tron Legacy
The Wild*
A Christmas Carol

* = Only sort of Disney

B&TB did have its Christmas special released on BR?

Oooh... just found an email from Amazon saying my copy of Finding Nemo 3D has been posted. Looking forward to getting that Monday or Tuesday.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
From Up on Poppy Hill isn't being released by Disney, nor did they produce the dub.

You're right that it's not Disney--which I didn't know when I made the list above--but I included it because it's scheduled (like how the OP includes the June stuff as though it were already released)

Christopher

DISNEY’S NEW ‘DIGITAL COPY PLUS’ ONE STEP CLOSER TO ‘DISNEY MOVIES ANYWHERE’

With the home video release of Oz the Great and Powerful on June 11, 2013, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment will be launching a new service, ‘Digital Copy Plus.’ Taking a cue from the Disney Movies Anywhere initiative, in which consumers will be able to purchase a film and stream it across multiple devices, the Digital Copy Plus replaces the digital copy disc previously offered and transfers it into the cloud, so consumers can choose how and where the digital copy is stored/accessed from.

The way it works is relatively simple: consumers will take the Digital Copy Plus code included in their purchase and enter it into the DigitalCopyPlus.com website. They will then choose a cloud provider: iTunes, Amazon Instant Video or Vudu, each with their own offerings on multi-device playback via download and streaming, including access via Roku devices. This means at launch (and depending on chosen provider), Disney films will be available on televisions, iOS devices, Roku, Android tablets, Kindle Fire, gaming consoles, PCs, Macs and even — ironically enough — BD players that offer access to these providers.

The service is not just limited to Disney releases, however. It will apply to all of Disney’s studios including Pixar, Marvel, Touchstone and even DreamWorks, which Disney currently has a distribution agreement with.

At launch, it appears the service will be available only to consumers in the United States and Canada, with Canadian access limited to the iTunes service.

It’s still a far cry from the promised Disney Movies Anywhere service, but it certainly seems a step in the right direction, especially for the company which can now trade off manufacturing and supporting additional discs and materials for leveraging existing services from third party providers.

Read more: Disney's New 'Digital Copy Plus' One Step Closer to 'Disney Movies Anywhere' - Disney News by StitchKingdom.com

Last edited by Lnds500 on Sat May 25, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Well, more flexibility is good (although I personally don't use digital copies, I just rip my own Blus) but my worry is that they're basically launching a middleman service. Your digital code -> Disney's servers -> Third party provider server. So you're at the mercy not only of third parties closing their services, but also of Disney closing these services a few years from now and rendering the codes useless. Oh well, I guess that's part of the game. More flexibility is definitely good.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
My DMR featured title choices for the month:
Lilo & Stitch 2-pack + Emperor's New Groove 2-pack = $34.95 + shipping
Lilo & Stitch 2-pack + Emperor's New Groove 2-pack + Pocahontas 2-pack = $47.95
Lilo & Stitch 2-pack + Emperor's New Groove 2-pack + Monsters Inc = $47.95

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If you say yes to the featured title, does it count towards your commitment? Or in the case of getting a suggested combo of 2 movies, do both count?

"Counting" towards your commitment is just a cash thing. If the item you order is 24-49(?) then it counts as one. So those featured titles count as one. Still a better value than buying one movie for $34 to fulfill your commitment, though.

Yeah, I bit on the deal. I don't see many things I want to spend money on to fulfill my commitment and I haven't seen either of these movies so I went for it.

Boss Doggie

US releases---

Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies*
My Neighbor Totoro
Whisper of the Heart
Howl's Moving Castle
Ponyo
Arrietty
From Up on Poppy Hill *

* = Not Disney in US, but part of Ghibli so I'll include them because of the connection.

Kronk's New Groove
Brother Bear II
Mulan II
Pocahontas II
Fox and the Hound 2
Lilo and Stitch 2

Lion King 2
Lion King 1.5
Bambi II
Lady and the Tramp II
Tigger Movie
Return to Neverland
Edit: Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas.

In other words--every film that has been released on Blu has had its sequels/prequels released on Blu. The only exceptions so far are that only some of the Pooh movies are released so far (there are 5 or 6 unreleased, and of those only Piglet's Big Movie has a planned release soon), Beauty and the Beast doesn't have its weird made-for-TV sequels released has the second film released but not the third, and that the Lilo and Stitch 2-pack only includes 2 of the 4 movies in the series. Aladdin and the Little Mermaid each have two sequels, Tarzan has one, 101 Dalmatians has one, and that's pretty much all the ones they count.

Hybrid animation stuff:
Enchanted
Pete's Dragon
Who Framed Roger Rabbit*

Tim Burton:
Frankenweenie

Other:
Gnomeo and Juliet*
Prep and Landing
G-Force
Mars Needs Moms
Tron
Tron Legacy
The Wild*
A Christmas Carol

* = Only sort of Disney

Ahh thanks!

Also, apparently other countries have blu ray of Aladdin? And I'm baffled as to why they'd "vault" really lasting classics like TLK.

My copy of Finding Nemo 3D turned up on Wed, but I didn't watch it till last night (went to the cinema with the missus instead).

Wow!, it's definitely some of the best 3D I've had on my TV yet! Wreck-It Ralph is released on Monday so I should have that by Wed too. Looking forward to going turbo again :D

I hope they get round to re-releasing the rest of the Pixar movies in 3D. I understand that they've been re-rendering them all in 4K 3D (and have been since Ratatouille was finished). Wall*E in 3D would be stunning!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Also, apparently other countries have blu ray of Aladdin? And I'm baffled as to why they'd "vault" really lasting classics like TLK.

European regions are ahead on the releases but I'm selfish and I'm not going to repeat that release image for Europe. Yeah, Aladdin came out in EU/AU a little while ago.

RE: Vaulting--putting it in the vault is not like naturally going out of print. It's a deliberate effort to take something that would sell off the shelves so that demand builds up, prices stay high. They re-release stuff from the vault every 5 or 8 years or so. You can still buy vaulted stuff on eBay and typically it doesn't rise to more than, say, double the original price. Typically only the major releases (what they're now calling the Diamond Collection) get vaulted.

Ahh thanks!

Because it keeps prices higher and make people who would be on the fence to buy. If you know it'll disappear in a month or so you'll snatch it up instead of possibly missing out. They've done it since forever.

qwerty2k

Does anyone know if the Steelbook Little Mermaid and the Steelbook Jungle Book contain the 3d versions? (i assume not) and if so are there 3d versions of these coming out? They are two of my Mrs favourites so want to make sure i get the 'best' version, the steel book looks lovely but i think she would prefer 3d.

im in the uk and saw the above @ http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/the-li...aign=ENZ-_SteelbookMM&affil=thgemail&fullsite and http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/the-ju...aign=ENZ-_SteelbookMM&affil=thgemail&fullsite

Theonik

Did all the studio ghibli movies come with slipcovers? My ponyo didn't have a cover. :(
My copies of Nausicaa, Castle in the Sky, Whisper of the Heart and Arriety all came with slipcovers. Mind you they are all tacky as hell so you re better off without them. (and the US cases themselves are equally terrible)

European regions are ahead on the releases but I'm selfish and I'm not going to repeat that release image for Europe. Yeah, Aladdin came out in EU/AU a little while ago.
Not exaclty, we just got them at a different order. Mulan came the same day with Aladdin for example months after the US release and there is a handful more we are missing. Including not getting rescuers down under at all.

How's the availability of Meet The Robinsons 3D and Chicken Little 3D? My GF loves those two, but we've given up hope that the 3D versions will ever get released in the UK. Looks like we'll have to import them :(

Theonik

How's the availability of Meet The Robinsons 3D and Chicken Little 3D? My GF loves those two, but we've given up hope that the 3D versions will ever get released in the UK. Looks like we'll have to import them :(
Both are currently in stock on Amazon.com for $23.99 each. I assume from your question you are in the UK so it comes to $56.95 with shipping.

Both are currently in stock on Amazon.com for $23.99 each. I assume from your question you are in the UK so it comes to $56.95 with shipping.

Yeah, cheapest on Amazon UK comes to around £25-£26 each including postage from the states ($38-$40USD).

Thing is, I can't get them quite yet, hence the availability bit. I'm hoping that they're not quite so rare yet that I can get them sometime in the next month or two.

3D releases here usually start off around the £17 ($26) mark for Disney titles, but within a matter of weeks can shoot up to anything as high as £35 ($53). Beauty & The Beast 3D, for example is up at £69.99 ($107) brand new and £45 ($69) used.

Theonik

Yea, cheapest on Amazon UK comes to around £25-£26 each including postage from the states ($38-$40USD).

Thing is, I can't get them quite yet, hence the availability bit. I'm hoping that they're not quite so rare yet that I can get them sometime in the next month or two.

3D releases here usually start off around the £17 ($26) mark for Disney titles, but within a matter of weeks can shoot up to anything as high as £35 ($53). Beauty & The Beast 3D, for example is up at £69.99 ($107) brand new and £45 ($69) used.
That's because Beauty and the Beast is vaulted so the prices you see are scalpers. Both the titles you described didn't come out too long ago and are still in production, but I'd suggest getting them as soon as you want to watch them because they won't be there forever.

Also I'm also in the UK so I can certainly sympathise. The only reason I haven't imported them yet is OCD though as I really like the numbered spines on the UK releases.

They both came out in 2011... I'm gonna have to bite the bullet soon.

And I totally empathise with the OCD on the cases, lol. I don't really give a monkeys about stuff like slip cases, but I do like to have some consistency. The only US Blu's I have are stuff that haven't and likely won't ever, be released here (Big trouble in Little China, The Last Starfighter, etc) but they're standalone titles so I don't mind too much. The Disney stuff, though, have some consistency to them that I can't ignore.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Not sure if anyone has been following gaming side, but it looks like Disney is working on a Fantasia game project, possibly developed by Harmonix. It hasn't been announced yet, but there've been a few people mentioning they heard about it and one of Disney's social media guys is following an empty, not-yet-used account called "Fantasia Game". So, that could be pretty neat. Thought it'd have crossover interest here.

isny

napkin dispenser
Not sure if anyone has been following gaming side, but it looks like Disney is working on a Fantasia game project, possibly developed by Harmonix. It hasn't been announced yet, but there've been a few people mentioning they heard about it and one of Disney's social media guys is following an empty, not-yet-used account called "Fantasia Game". So, that could be pretty neat. Thought it'd have crossover interest here.

You know if this is true, I'm going to be over at your place day one to play it right? That sounds amazing.

LadyRiven

For those of you who use Disney Movie Rewards, you can input the word BOTHER into the code field for 10 free points. (expires 6/14)

Edit: Out of curiosity, has anyone ever done like a group order using the movie club? The reason I ask is that I would like to purchase the Goof Troop full season DVDs without actually joining the club if it is possible. Either that, or I'd be interested in joining specifically to get them and also help some other people to get them while I have a temporary membership.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sadly it has almost nothing to do with Fantasia other than the title.

I think the visuals seem to be in keeping with the film's various vignettes, or at least the spirit of them, but obviously the focus on contemporary music over classical deflates the excitement pretty significantly.

Boss Doggie

RE: Vaulting--putting it in the vault is not like naturally going out of print. It's a deliberate effort to take something that would sell off the shelves so that demand builds up, prices stay high. They re-release stuff from the vault every 5 or 8 years or so. You can still buy vaulted stuff on eBay and typically it doesn't rise to more than, say, double the original price. Typically only the major releases (what they're now calling the Diamond Collection) get vaulted.

Because it keeps prices higher and make people who would be on the fence to buy. If you know it'll disappear in a month or so you'll snatch it up instead of possibly missing out. They've done it since forever.

Ahh okay, thanks. You smart bastards, Disney!

And ah didn't know other regions follow a different release date for BR release. I know they have their own region encoding and all that crap, but I always thought the BR release tend to be worldwide.

Downhome

Back on the topic of the Disney Movie Club that I have talked about the last few months...

On my latest account I just ordered Lilo/ENG together for $30 off the site for my first commitment on this account. In the end this account is going to equal ten different titles that averages out to just barely over $8 each. You can't beat that!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, anyone get any of the June 11th Blus? Good transfers? Any interesting special features? I'm morbidly curious if the Atlantis II TV show pilot munged into a Direct 2 DVD Movie ends up being even coherent, let alone a good film.

Downhome

I just called to cancel my latest Disney Movie Club account. This go round I spent a total of $81.80, I received ten different Blu-rays, and it came to just $8.18 for each of the following titles...

-Atlantis: The Lost Empire - Two Movie Collection
-Brother Bear - Two Movie Collection
-Castle in the Sky
-The Emperorer's New Groove - Two Movie Collection
-The Hunchback of Notre Dame - Two Movie Collection
-Lilo & Stitch Two Movie Collection
-Mulan - Two Movie Collection
-Pirates of the Caribbean - On Stranger Tides 3D
-Pixar Shorts Volume 2
-Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

EDIT:

I just signed up for another round. Here are my enrollment titles this time...

I just went ahead and signed up again. Here are my enrollment titles this time...

The Aristocats
Ed Wood
Howl's Moving Castle
My Neighbor Totoro
OZ
OZ 3D
Treasure Planet

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
So, anyone get any of the June 11th Blus? Good transfers? Any interesting special features? I'm morbidly curious if the Atlantis II TV show pilot munged into a Direct 2 DVD Movie ends up being even coherent, let alone a good film.

got all of them, but haven't had time to view any yet

isny

napkin dispenser
Micky Christmas Carol and some Pooh holiday movie on Blu in November. $30+ each though. Soooo not worth it. Will stick to my Disney Treasures version of Christmas Carol.

isny

napkin dispenser
Now that I'm at home, updated with links.

christmascarol.jpg
merrypoohyear.jpg

$33.29, lol

Mickey's Christmas Carol
Winnie the Pooh-Very Merry Pooh Year

Tunic

Micky Christmas Carol and some Pooh holiday movie on Blu in November. $30+ each though. Soooo not worth it. Will stick to my Disney Treasures version of Christmas Carol.

Hopefully the price goes down. I love Mickey's Christmas Carol but not that much!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's been a few years since I've watched Mickey's Christmas Carol, but it can't be much longer than 30-35 mintues can it? Amazon is saying 95, but that sounds way longer than I remember.

isny

napkin dispenser
It's been a few years since I've watched Mickey's Christmas Carol, but it can't be much longer than 30-35 mintues can it? Amazon is saying 95, but that sounds way longer than I remember.

26 minutes including credits, so yeah, not worth full Disney Blu retail.

Top Bottom