• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Christopher

Hey if anyone is getting these titles Tuesday and don't need the digital copies please pm me :) I'll trade something or compensate you through PayPal thanks :)

Nice embossed slip case on The Jungle Book.

scRI7Nx.jpg

Downhome

I love that movie, but TaleSpin twisted my view on it. I can't help but see them all as naked now. I know they always were, but still. Now they are NAKED.

Menaged

I'm having a weird problem...
I just sat down to watch Beauty and the Beast, but for some reason, my PS3 (Slim, 4.46 FW) won't play it.
I get past all the trailers, and then nothing, just a blank screen. I tried deleting the BD data utility thingy, tried disconecting from the internet... I don't know what else :\

Other Blu-rays are working fine (tried Toy Story 2) and for some reason it happens on the bonus disc as well.

Any thoughts?
I watched it a couple of times in the past

Edit: After dozens of different things, it finally works. I don't know if it just a fluke, but it's something...
Too bad I won't be able to watch it today since it's getting late and I have a test tomorrow :(

Leeness

So what exactly is the deal with the Movie Club and preorders? I've ordered Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and it's "ordered and shipped", but obviously it's not out until later this month. Will they ship it then?

Because according to the site, it's already "shipped", and my packing slip from my latest order had it on there :/

Also, it doesn't look like Little Mermaid is on the site for preorder anymore :(

Downhome

So what exactly is the deal with the Movie Club and preorders? I've ordered Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and it's "ordered and shipped", but obviously it's not out until later this month. Will they ship it then?

Because according to the site, it's already "shipped", and my packing slip from my latest order had it on there :/

Every now and then, they release certain titles a month or so early through DMC. This one was one of them. See my post and the picture I posted earlier, I have already received mine. Even when it isn't one of the special early releases you'll get most of the new releases before they hit stores, even if it's just by a few days.

I also got Robin Hood and Sword in the Stone today.

Leeness

Every now and then, they release certain titles a month or so early through DMC. This one was one of them. See my post and the picture I posted earlier, I have already received mine. Even when it isn't one of the special early releases you'll get most of the new releases before they hit stores, even if it's just by a few days.

I also got Robin Hood and Sword in the Stone today.

Well that's awkward. It was on my packing slip and I got Oz the Great and Powerful instead... Bad trade...

Downhome

Did you never order Oz at all? If not then they screwed up.

If you call them and talk to them they will send Pooh to you and also likely let you just keep Oz even if you didn't order it. They are great with their customer service.

Leeness

Did you never order Oz at all? If not then they screwed up.

If you call them and talk to them they will send Pooh to you and also likely let you just keep Oz even if you didn't order it. They are great with their customer service.

Yeah I got a random Oz that I never ordered haha.

Will do! Thanks. :)

Since you seem up on things, any idea why Little Mermaid isn't on the site for preorder anymore? I searched and they brought up Ponyo (lol).

Downhome

Yeah I got a random Oz that I never ordered haha.

Will do! Thanks. :)

Since you seem up on things, any idea why Little Mermaid isn't on the site for preorder anymore? I searched and they brought up Ponyo (lol).

Awesome, free Oz!

Maybe.

I still see Little Mermaid on the site...

https://disneymovieclub.go.com/weba...w=DMCSearchResultsView&fromPage=SearchResults

https://disneymovieclub.go.com/weba...w=DMCSearchResultsView&fromPage=SearchResults

I do not, however, see the 3D version anywhere on the site.

Leeness

Awesome, free Oz!

Maybe.

I still see Little Mermaid on the site...

I do not, however, see the 3D version anywhere on the site.

Weird... I was looking in coming soon and searching and not getting anything. Oh well. Thanks for the links :D I kind of want to try to get the 3D version just for the cover... The blu/digital covers are kind of ugly but the 3D one is beautiful.

LadyRiven

Well I went to open my Goof Troop today and...

874wQBv.jpg

Someone GOOFed. :/
I am hoping they'll just let me keep the Gargoyles DVD though and still send me my copy of Goof Troop. This was purchased through their eBay store.

Fox Mulder

I found the diamond edition of beauty and the beast with three discs and the slipcover, but it's in a black case. Don't all blurays come in a blue case?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I found the diamond edition of beauty and the beast with three discs and the slipcover, but it's in a black case. Don't all blurays come in a blue case?

Disney releases most of their movies as Blu-Ray+DVD or DVD+Blu-Ray so that the kids who just want the DVD have a matching case to the rest of their collection or whatever.

Example from my collection so you can see the difference:
nepkULHl.jpg

Snow White: DVD+Blu-Ray, Black box, taller
Rescuers: Blu-Ray+DVD, Blue transparent box, smaller

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Well I went to open my Goof Troop today and...

874wQBv.jpg

Someone GOOFed. :/
I am hoping they'll just let me keep the Gargoyles DVD though and still send me my copy of Goof Troop. This was purchased through their eBay store.

Don't do it! Your purchase was infinitely more significant than Goof Troop!

Fox Mulder

Disney releases most of their movies as Blu-Ray+DVD or DVD+Blu-Ray so that the kids who just want the DVD have a matching case to the rest of their collection or whatever.

Example from my collection so you can see the difference:
nepkULHl.jpg

Snow White: DVD+Blu-Ray, Black box, taller
Rescuers: Blu-Ray+DVD, Blue transparent box, smaller

That's kind of weird to have packaging for both, i didnt know they did that. I only really care that it's a bluray and DVD combo to give to my sister as a baby gift and that movie was number one on her wishlist.

LadyRiven

Don't do it! Your purchase was infinitely more significant than Goof Troop!

I saw every episode of Gargoyles so many times as a kid that I kind of never want to watch it again. I think at some point they were playing two episodes in a row every day and that kind of ruined it for me. I just OD'ed on it.

Goof Troop is pretty high up there on my favorites. Speaking of which, I wish they would release the rest of Gummi Bears on DVD. :(

The shop contacted me and told me to keep the Gargoyles DVD, so that's a thing, but now I feel like I have to buy all the rest of it. :B

LadyRiven

What the flying fuck? They cropped the hell out of the BluRay release. Ugh that is disgusting :(

Isn't this the same thing they did with Robin Hood when they released it on DVD the 2nd time? I have the Gold Collection DVD which retains the original aspect ratio, and the 2nd DVD release which crops it to fit in widescreen. I'm assuming the Blu-ray is also cropped? :( Or they could at least put both versions on it...

bremon

I picked up Sword, Robin Hood, and Oliver on Tuesday. I've only watched Robin Hood so far (a favorite as a kid, I forgot how quickly they wrap things up at the end of that one). Disappointing to hear that Sword in the Stone has a lacklustre transfer. Maybe I'll pop it in this weekend, I think I've only seen it once before anyway so at least it will seem fresh in one way.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
As much as I don't like the double cases or what they do to encoding rates, it's obviously necessary to make some of these releases financially feasible. Glad that Muppet Treasure Island is making it out. Not the best Muppet film by far, but a good enough lark. Wonder if they'll ever manage to get Muppets in Space out?

That's kind of weird to have packaging for both, i didnt know they did that. I only really care that it's a bluray and DVD combo to give to my sister as a baby gift and that movie was number one on her wishlist.

It is a little weird that they do it and it's kind of frustrating because if you're like me and looking to pick up some of the older or vaulted stuff used it means there's less selection that has the preferred case. The only one I own in DVD+Blu format is Snow White, but they're still doing it even today. Gotta be careful doing online or DMC orders for that reason!

Dead

well not really...yet
Sword and Oliver seem to have been completely botched.

Kinda sad. I remember loving Oliver and Company when I was a kid and was looking forward to rewatching it. Oh well :(

Gameboy415

Just got my Gargoyles S2P2 and Talespin V3 sets from the Disney eBay store and I found another eBay seller that had new copies of both Goof Troop volumes for ~$41 shipped so now I have those on the way too! :D

61nl8NA9lcL._SY300_.jpg

December 10, 2013.

Nice! Glad to see Disney is putting out more of the classic Muppet films. :)

I hope they find a way to release the Muppet Family Christmas special someday!!
Does Disney have the rights to the Fraggle Rock & Sesame Street characters now too?

[Muppets in Space] was released on Blu in 2011.

Very true, but it wasn't a Disney release (if it matters).
Looks to be a Sony-released combo pack:

51iK7akEpQL._SY300_.jpg

Same w/The Muppets Take Manhattan:
51eMvcOQXqL._SY300_.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I saw both Robin Hood and Sword in the Stone at Target.

but man I need to save my money and just wait for Muppets. I can't be buying blu rays.

.....how good are they? Robin Hood especially

isny

napkin dispenser
I hope they find a way to release the Muppet Family Christmas special someday!!
Does Disney have the rights to the Fraggle Rock & Sesame Street characters now too?

Nope never gonna happen. CTW (Childrens Television Workshop) owns Sesame Street and Henson still owns Fraggle Rock.

Very true, but it wasn't a Disney release (if it matters).
Looks to be a Sony-released combo pack:

Yup, because Disney doesn't own the rights to those movies.

Unfortunately, the rights for Muppets are all over the place, which is why we can't have nice stuff (movies with crossover Muppets like we had prior to Disney purchasing the core Muppets that they own today.)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
No reason we can't get Muppets Tonight on DVD

...other than it not being near as good as Muppet Show, but it had its moments.

LadyRiven

Oh damn. Robin Hood does look good. I guess getting that has gone up on my priorities. Plus I found this in regards to one of the things I care about most...

Disney’s take on Robin Hood makes its Blu-ray debut, presented in its original aspect ratio of about 1.66:1 on a dual-layer disc.

I'm so glad they didn't crop it this time.

Cheebo

Banned
No reason we can't get Muppets Tonight on DVD

...other than it not being near as good as Muppet Show, but it had its moments.

Seeing how The Muppet Show is infinitly more popular than Muppets Tonight and Disney never released Season 4 or 5 of The Muppet Show and stopped after season 3.....the chances of Muppets Tonight a far less popular show making it to DVD are somewhere far below 0%.

Maybe with the new movie coming out next year...we'll see!
The never finished releasing The Muppet Show despite the last Muppet movie coming out in 2011. Disney seems to be done with Muppet tv releases, looks like the market wasn't there at all.

I still can't believe there wasn't enough sales to finish out the release of The Muppet Show, they cancelled that DVD release of the series halfway before it was over. And they even had a box art and release date for Season 4 before canceling it! :(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
There are a few mastering errors on The Little Mermaid

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=8017886&postcount=1861

- There's a shot-order error in Part of Your World
- There's originally a shot dissolve that fades into Scuttle's introduction, it's replaced with a smash cut
- They slightly changed the timing and font on "Walt Disney Pictures Presents" during the introduction.

But otherwise the restoration is apparently top-tier visually. No word yet on any disc replacements (the latter two changes could arguably be intentional, but a shot order issue during one of the most significant parts of the film is clearly an error). Caveat Emptor.

Leeness

There are a few mastering errors on The Little Mermaid

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=8017886&postcount=1861

- There's a shot-order error in Part of Your World
- There's originally a shot dissolve that fades into Scuttle's introduction, it's replaced with a smash cut
- They slightly changed the timing and font on "Walt Disney Pictures Presents" during the introduction.

But otherwise the restoration is apparently top-tier visually. No word yet on any disc replacements (the latter two changes could arguably be intentional, but a shot order issue during one of the most significant parts of the film is clearly an error). Caveat Emptor.

;_; nooooooooooo that doesn't look nice at all.

duckroll

They really, really, really need to fix that sequencing error. It's killing me just thinking that one of my favorite Disney movies is just 2 months away from an amazing remaster on blu-ray and they had to screw SOMETHING up. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. >_<

Top Bottom