• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Had to import this since it's not being released in the UK, nice slipcover.

anJOPWp.jpg

cory64

DNR strikes again

KO3P0Kz.png

A lot better than recent implementations & will probably look fine in motion, but still.
Doesn't seem to be a problem in most shots tho:

iMO99ag.png

Edit: Upon closer inspection, all of the backgrounds have a small amount of that characteristic digital blobbing to them.

omgkitty

After looking at the screenshots from the blu-ray, I realize that chances are I have a thing for redheads now because of watching The Little Mermaid when I was younger. I mean it's a Disney movie with a teenage girl who's essentially in a bikini the entire film.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Disney needs to pay whatever needs to be paid for Muppet Family Christmas on blu-ray. The ultimate Christmas movie
tumblr_mf1h6nIvU31qihfgko1_400.gif

After looking at the screenshots from the blu-ray, I realize that chances are I have a thing for redheads now because of watching The Little Mermaid when I was younger. I mean it's a Disney movie with a teenage girl who's essentially in a bikini the entire film.

Really? I mean sure but... I would've blamed this
tumblr_maapryjsjk1qkg5u5o1_500.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This just showed up on Amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EYZUEOY/

For only £91.25, that averages as £5.36 per movie, but it lists 22 discs so it must have all the bonus discs as well.

Not too shabby! If I didn't already have almost all of those (and 3D ones where applicable) I'd seriously consider it. Seems like really good value.

Never bought through Amazon.co.uk before. I'm a US resident, but I saw this says [REGION FREE] so I figure this would be a good Christmas gift. I just logged in and used all the info that's on my US account, and it went through, but I want to say I tried doing that with Amazon.jp and it didn't work out.

Am I going to be ok doing it this way when the movies are out?

Cheerilee

What am I suppose to be looking for? The slightly blurred edges? Backgrounds look fine to me.

As I understand it, DNR (or digital noise reduction) is a software editing technique of "cleaning" a picture, because people like looking at "clean" pictures, and because cleaner pictures compress down to smaller filesizes.

Since a computer gets to decide what's "noise" and what isn't, lines are sometimes thinned and reduced in ways that don't look like an artist with a brush would have drawn them, because the computer doesn't know what art looks like. What's a brush stroke? It just know that "that thing" on the screen appears to fit the definition of the thing it was programmed to destroy, so it destroys it.

Here's a comparison that someone posted of the old DVD vs the new Bluray.
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/37784

Pay close attention to the seagull in the first shot. The DVD version looks like it was drawn by a human, but the Bluray version looks kind of janky. Also, notice the ship in the background. It's clearer in the DVD screenshot. "What's that, a ship approaching? Nah, looks like noise to me. Lets erase some of it."

The Bluray is obviously a superior storage solution, and Disney obviously has access to a source that's much nicer than DVD, and it's great that they're finally learning to leave the film grain intact and they're not filtering the movie until it looks cel-shaded, buuuttt... you know what would make this great film look even better? Some DNR. Just a little bit. Everyone likes the look of DNR. It just makes everything better.

Edit: BTW, if you're looking to justify the Bluray purchase, just look at shot #6.

overcast

Walmart is going to have the little mermaid 2 disc version for 19.96. So 12.96 with the coupon. Definitely the best deal if you don't care about 3D or digital copies.

It also comes with $8 movie cash for Frozen. A great deal overall. Not sure if all copies have that or if its a Walmart exclusive.
Yup. Seals it. Getting this at Walmart. Thanks!

Sushigod7

Disney does like redheads

ibs6LiwfTz1Rxt.jpg

Edit: BTW, if you're looking to justify the Bluray purchase, just look at shot #6.

Wow that's encouraging looking like this will turn out pretty good.

Recently watched Tangled for the first time and it made me want to go back and buy/watch all the classics.
Got to The Little Mermaid and I enjoyed it way more now as an adult than I did as a kid.
I just didn't enjoy it that much as a kid because it felt so 'girly' compared to the others I liked(BatB & Mulan being my favorites)

But now im out of those childhood phases so I can enjoy them for what they are and their quality.
Still not my favorite but now I wouldn't consider it bad or skippable like I used to do.

FOOTE

I was really into this thread back when it first started but kind of fell off when I started back in school... I've had TLM preordered for a long while and it surprised the hell out of me when I received an email telling me that it had shipped.... I completely forgot about it.

It's going to be fun to sit down and watch it this weekend since it's been at least 20 years since I last watched it.

I have a lot of catching up to do with collecting these classics, I think.

Arg, I can't get that coupon working. Every time I click the little "Get Deal" button nothing happens. Have work soon and was hoping to get it before I went in.

Oozer3993

There was a soft recall for Pinocchio for a single line of missing dialogue that occurred during a musical number. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney does something similar for The Little Mermaid.

Sushigod7

Grabbed Little Mermaid this afternoon after waiting around at Wal-Mart no one could figure out how to scan the coupon it wasn't coming up automatically so I said forget it drove down the street to Target for price match and the coupon worked right away in their system. So for anyone not wanting to deal with Wal-Marts genius employees head to target with an ad showing the price they will match and take the coupon. Will watch tonight when the wife and daughter get home looking forward to it!!

Finally decided to sign up for the DMR it is pretty sweet. About to pop in Little Mermaid now.

It is a pretty good deal especially when matched up with the movie club so you have a lot of codes to register. I've got two sets of pins, a free bracelet and necklace (had to pay shipping), 2 blu rays and still have a few points left.

This is available for about 13 with shipping if you register TLM on DMR also. They have another set with Princesses and pets as well.

johnsmith

remember me
Watching The Little Mermaid. Man, do I hate these pause features. I didn't ask for this. This and Peter Pan's were so annoying.

Oozer3993

The bonus feature "Howard's Lecture" on The Little Mermaid Blu-ray is fantastic. It's songwriter Howard Ashman giving a lecture about movie music to a bunch of Disney animators back before TLM was even in full production. It's intercut with recent interviews with the directors and several other production staff.

Bought The Little Mermaid yesterday at my Target. I got the storybook edition. I absolutely love how it looks. The cover is oh so shiny and the pages of the storybook is surprisingly high quality, almost feels like photo paper.
I haven't watched it yet, I have a little three year old niece who will be ecstatic, so I'm saving it for movie night for us :)

The picture isn't as good as I would have hoped
Agree. The colors aren't as vibrant as I thought they would be.
Was thinking the same, my wife actually said "are you sure you put in the blu-ray"? I had to flip a butch of color settings to get it where I liked it. I'm more disappointed in the colors than the shot order deal.
Kind of sounds like all or some of you were expecting it to look like a 90s Disney film.

Agree. The colors aren't as vibrant as I thought they would be.

If you compare it to the previous release, it's a pretty noticeable difference. I was just doing a side by side between the two DVD versions and it's pretty clear next to each other on the color pop. I'm surprised how much more clarity there is on the DVD version alone too.

vazel

Banned
No I expected it to look like sleeping beauty or Alice in wonderland which I'm sure isn't from the 90's
Isn't the explanation for why those old Disney films look so good is because they used high quality nitrate film. They stopped using that kind of film because not only is it flammable but it also decomposes.

Christopher

Isn't the explanation for why those old Disney films look so good is because they used high quality nitrate film. They stopped using that kind of film because not only is it flammable but it also decomposes.

No.

Lowry digital restored them thats why Disney in house restored mermaid

Sushigod7

Assuming the restoration is faithful, yes it does matter.

In your opinion what happens on my TV matters ok man I'll think of you next time I boot it up. You know the preset settings on the TV? Well they all are pretty faithful one way or another I didn't like the Cinema one, or the auto one so I flipped between them finding what I though brought out the colors best. Settings on a TV are varied and not the same on mine or yours etc etc. Overall IMO I don't think it's the best restore job, if you do that's cool I'm happy for ya.

In your opinion what happens on my TV matters ok man I'll think of you next time I boot it up. You know the preset settings on the TV? Well they all are pretty faithful one way or another I didn't like the Cinema one, or the auto one so I flipped between them finding what I though brought out the colors best. Settings on a TV are varied and not the same on mine or yours etc etc. Overall IMO I don't think it's the best restore job, if you do that's cool I'm happy for ya.

That doesn't make any sense. If they do a perfect and faithful restoration of the movie, but you manipulate it because you didn't calibrate your TV properly, then that's your fault, not the fault of the restoration.

Cheerilee

It's not Femmeworth's opinion that matters, it's the quality of the movie that matters.

A couple of you said that "the picture isn't as good" as you had hoped, or that "the colors aren't as vibrant" as you thought they would be. But if you look at the screenshot comparison that was posted earlier, you'll see that the colors are stronger and more vibrant in this release than they were in the DVD release several years ago. It's likely that The Little Mermaid is just not as colorful as you remember it being, or as colorful as other Disney movies you could compare it to, before or since.

You said that you adjusted the settings to get the colors to a point where you liked them more, but as a matter of fact, unless you had some evidence suggesting that the colors have been degraded over time and Disney failed to fix them, and unless you have some proper reference point to work against, your "fix" was a blind shot in the dark, and it's probable that you made the colors worse, not better.

In the end, does it matter to your viewing experience? No, apparently it doesn't. But do "correct colors" matter? Yes, they absolutely do.

Sushigod7

It's not Femmeworth's opinion that matters, it's the quality of the movie that matters.

A couple of you said that "the picture isn't as good" as you had hoped, or that "the colors aren't as vibrant" as you thought they would be. But if you look at the screenshot comparison that was posted earlier, you'll see that the colors are stronger and more vibrant in this release than they were in the DVD release several years ago. It's likely that The Little Mermaid is just not as colorful as you remember it being, or as colorful as other Disney movies you could compare it to, before or since.

You said that you adjusted the settings to get the colors to a point where you liked them more, but as a matter of fact, unless you had some evidence suggesting that the colors have been degraded over time and Disney failed to fix them, and unless you have some proper reference point to work against, your "fix" was a blind shot in the dark, and it's probable that you made the colors worse, not better.

In the end, does it matter to your viewing experience? No, apparently it doesn't. But do "correct colors" matter? Yes, they absolutely do.

I see what your saying your explanation makes sense, I'll agree to disagree.

Looking at those comparison pics, this feels like another example where Disney actually scrubbed it up a little too much in spots. Have they done away with the cool "watery" look early on in the film? Also some of the lighting in the shore scenes seems to have been dimmed out, shame because that scene (the one after Ariel saves Eric the first time right?) - is supposed to have this dreamy-dawn look.

I collected Disney DVD's like nobodys business, but recently been turned off trying to collect because the extras have become minimal or not there at all unless you missed the DVD first time around : ( Disney UK seem to have become really keen on digital anyway, with a large majority of their catalogues already on Blinkbox and Netflix.

Sushigod7

Ok, that's wrong, but ok. You like destroying the content as intended so that it fits how you think it should look like rather than how it should look like. You may as well make Ariel a blonde and Sebastian blue at that point.

hahahaha want a hand down off the soap box? You act like I turned the color up to 100 and the contrast to 0, you literally have no idea what it looked like before and after I got done your assuming it looked like shit.

Bii

Is there a workaround for printing coupons from DMR? My printer at home is currently out and I can't install any software on my work PC to print it from the site. :(

hahahaha want a hand down off the soap box? You act like I turned the color up to 100 and the contrast to 0, you literally have no idea what it looked like before and after I got done your assuming it looked like shit.

What I'm saying and what others are saying is you can't just invent how it looks without destroying the intent of the creators. Just like getting rid of black bars in a movie is destroying the content of the film. The best thing to do is to properly calibrate your TV to preferably an ISF standard and let the content creator present it the way they intended to. Making the colors pop isn't always how a movie should look. In fact all TVs have terrible preset settings and often people mis-calibrate their TV to something they think looks better when it's worse and inaccurate. The correct calibration might even look weird at first when you're not used to it, but like a center channel in a 5.1 setup, you get used to it and realize it's better than what it was before.

Top Bottom