• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

I forgot how much I liked Kiss the Girl. I always think of Under the Sea as my favorite TLM song but watching the movie I think KtG wins out this time around.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I was thinking of signing up for that Disney blu-ray club, but the code posted here (17674B) no longer works?

Apparently 22625 works now, never mind!

Man, what a great deal, got Alice in Wonderland 60th, Finding Nemo, Incredibles, Toy Story 3, Wreck It Ralph, Ratatouille, and Muppets for 21 bucks.

EDIT AGAIN apparently the code I posted makes it so you need to buy 3 at full price instead of 2. WHOOPS I guess that 10042B is the right code to use now.

Kayma

I canceled my Amazon pre-order for The Little Mermaid and intended to use the $7 coupon at Wal*Mart, but apparently it expired yesterday... So sad.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I canceled my Amazon pre-order for The Little Mermaid and intended to use the $7 coupon at Wal*Mart, but apparently it expired yesterday... So sad.

Mine had it priced at 24.96 but it magically went to 19.96 at the register, minus $7 for 12.96. NICE DEAL! The code for the free Frozen movie bucks is smeared off the back of the coupon though and completely unreadable.

I'm just checking on the blu rays I'm missing out on and it's really annoying how many we are missing in the UK that have come out in the US. Basil the Great Mouse Detective was my favorite Disney film as a kid. Does anyone know when it's due to get released here?

Christopher

I'm just checking on the blu rays I'm missing out on and it's really annoying how many we are missing in the UK that have come out in the US. Basil the Great Mouse Detective was my favorite Disney film as a kid. Does anyone know when it's due to get released here?

Hey you guys got damnations Aladdin jungle book and many many films that aren't vaulted so be happy!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

This is probably your best bet (blu-ray.com forums are great for any blu-ray stuff) for UK Disney releases:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=124657

It indicates Great Mouse Detective is not announced in the UK. :(

Just found this thread. My daughter is 20 months old, so I've started putting together a collection of Disney Blu-Rays for her.

Just got TLM on release date and grabbed The Lion King and Lady and the Tramp since they are vaulted but still decently priced on Amazon (~$24 for Diamond Collection).

Probably going to have to just bite the bullet on The Beauty and the Beast and Snow White. Right now they are about $60 on Amazon.

Just found this thread. My daughter is 20 months old, so I've started putting together a collection of Disney Blu-Rays for her.

Just got TLM on release date and grabbed The Lion King and Lady and the Tramp since they are vaulted but still decently priced on Amazon (~$24 for Diamond Collection).

Probably going to have to just bite the bullet on The Beauty and the Beast and Snow White. Right now they are about $60 on Amazon.

Yep, I've been building up the collection for my kids someday. My girl is almost 30 months now and the second one is a month away so by the time they're into it, I should have everything in HD. I just don't know when to introduce them to my girl. The problem with every single Disney film is I can think of something that will probably traumatize her in pretty much every film which is something I don't want to do. Also I've heard from a few people that once you start introducing them to just entertainment content they tend to stop wanting to watch the educational stuff. So between these two factors I'm just not sure when to show her anything.

I just built a little media center for the car and it now has every Disney animated film on there except for Jungle Book. It was kind of a neat fun project to setup and work out how to control it from the front seat without seeing the screen. I can't wait until she takes advantage of having that library at her fingertips.

Yep, I've been building up the collection for my kids someday. My girl is almost 30 months now and the second one is a month away so by the time they're into it, I should have everything in HD. I just don't know when to introduce them to my girl. The problem with every single Disney film is I can think of something that will probably traumatize her in pretty much every film which is something I don't want to do. Also I've heard from a few people that once you start introducing them to just entertainment content they tend to stop wanting to watch the educational stuff. So between these two factors I'm just not sure when to show her anything.

My wife refuses to let her watch Bambi.

Christopher

The only thing missing form the Little Mermaid is the 90's sounding credit music that was in Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast I love their credit songs.

Menaged

I'm thinking of taking advantage of the 1+1 sale that's going on, and I need some help. I'm leaning towrads definitely buying:

- Finding Nemo
- The Hunchback
- The lady and the Tramp

I need another movie, and was thinking about 101 Dalmatians or maybe Mulan.

The reason I need your help is beacuse I have no idea if any of these movies are good (even the ones I'm quite sure I'll buy), so feel free to hand your advice.
I have a US PS3, so I can't buy region protected movies such as The Jungle Book, or Ratatouille.

Thanks!

It's region free, just import it.

Speaking of region free, it appears Hercules is region free if anyone from the US want to import it.

image.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What do you think we will see in 2014 only confirmed we have:

Sleeping Beauty and The Jungle Book

If you asked me a while ago I would have said that they'll finish everything off, but I can't figure out their Diamond Edition strategy now that they're doing the Sleeping Beauty re-release. I do suspect we'll get the remaining minor films (Hercules, Tarzan, Black Cauldron). Not sure about Aladdin or 101 Dalmatians. And I still don't really know if they'll ever re-release the package films to the public. Maybe DMR/DMC exclusive?

Just fired up The Little Mermaid Blu-ray for the first time. Got it last week, but I've been super busy with work and only just now got a chance to view it.

I really can't believe how badly they borked the sequencing in "Part of Your World." That's pretty damn high on the list of Disney home video blunders, right up there with chopping off of the tops of The Jungle Book to make it "widescreen" for the DVD release.

But in other news, I'm still amazed at how incredible Pat Carroll is in The Little Mermaid. Best vocal performance in an animated Disney film, easily.

Just a reminder to anyone that bought the Little Mermaid Blu-Ray from the Disney Store website, the 20 dollar coupon that came with it expires tonight at 11:59 PST.

cory64

Finally got around to watching TLM.
I don't like that they replaced the original Disney tag.
I don't like that they replaced the credits with bolder text.
It's absurd that they messed up shots.
The line work is smudgy
The backgrounds are smudgy.

Sigh.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I wish they'd re-release Snow White instead of Sleeping Beauty, I already have Sleeping Beauty!

Kickin' myself for buying Fantasia back when that was in the store but passing on Snow White for whatever nonsense reason. Least I grabbed Beauty and the Beast, sheesh these old ones are gettin' pricey.

Also something I noticed today, speakin' of Fantasia--the disc's title when you put it in the PS3 is Fantasia: Diamond Edition. Think they planned on branding it as such and changed it at the last minute?

Does anyone know of another good Disney Movie Club promo code? 17674B no longer works anymore :(

Try 10042B.

Should give you this:

• You agree to purchase 3 commitment titles within the next 24 months.
• You can select Five Disney Blu-Rays for $1.00 (or 20¢ each) as part of the initial sign-up/enrollment offer. Note not all titles are available as part of the enrollment offer.
• Plus you can take an optional Blu-Ray for an additional $11.95 (this title will go towards your commitment of 3 titles)
• Plus you can take an optional Blu-Ray for an additional $8.95 (this title will not go towards your commitment of 3 titles)

I just used it to sign up a week ago. I got the following for $21.90 as part of my enrollment:

• The Incredibles
• Toy Story
• Finding Nemo
• Ratatouille
• Up
• WALL-E
• A Bug's Life

Hiccup

Banned
Try 10042B.

Should give you this:

• You agree to purchase 3 commitment titles within the next 24 months.
• You can select Five Disney Blu-Rays for $1.00 (or 20¢ each) as part of the initial sign-up/enrollment offer. Note not all titles are available as part of the enrollment offer.
• Plus you can take an optional Blu-Ray for an additional $11.95 (this title will go towards your commitment of 3 titles)
• Plus you can take an optional Blu-Ray for an additional $8.95 (this title will not go towards your commitment of 3 titles)

I just used it to sign up a week ago. I got the following for $21.90 as part of my enrollment:

• The Incredibles
• Toy Story
• Finding Nemo
• Ratatouille
• Up
• WALL-E
• A Bug's Life

Thanks man!

Downhome

I just finished up my latest DMC membership. This time it came to an average of $9.13 a title, and also in that total is four Christmas ornaments that I also picked up. Here are the BD titles I got...

-Chicken Little 3D
-Ed Wood
-The Great Mouse Detective
-The Little Mermaid 3D
-Meet the Robinsons 3D
-Monsters U 3D
-The Muppet Movie 35th Anniversary
-Oliver & Company
-Return to Never Land
-The Tigger Movie

It sucks that I now realize it'll likely be quite some time before there are enough of titles that I'm interested in to do another membership. That sucks, but I guess I need a break. I don't see a major must get ASAP title until The Jungle Book, unless I'm missing something. I can wait on everything else until at least then.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Just found this thread and I am a little confused with the thread title. It says don't worry and love the vault? I don't own a blu ray player. So I haven't bought any blu rays obviously. But if these movies are going into the vault and not released again why shouldn't I worry? I will apparently miss out on a lot of these movies if I don't have a blu ray player yet correct?

Just found this thread and I am a little confused with the thread title. It says don't worry and love the vault? I don't own a blu ray player. So I haven't bought any blu rays obviously. But if these movies are going into the vault and not released again why shouldn't I worry? I will apparently miss out on a lot of these movies if I don't have a blu ray player yet correct?

It's somewhat sarcastic. It's saying to embrace the fact that Disney puts movies in the vault for approximately seven years. You can always rent them from iTunes/Amazon, I believe. Or buy digital copies if you want (as long as they aren't in the vault).

It's somewhat sarcastic. It's saying to embrace the fact that Disney puts movies in the vault for approximately seven years. You can always rent them from iTunes/Amazon, I believe. Or buy digital copies if you want (as long as they aren't in the vault).

I'm still very proud of that thread title. :lol

I'm less proud of how I basically gave up trying to keep the OP updated. When Disney ramped up their Blu-ray releases, I just lost track of it. Stump seems to be doing a good job, though.

Downhome

Surely they are being sarcastic about not getting the title.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

People.

Yeah, the title is an obvious nod to Strangelove.

But it also indicates that although the Vault policy is a pain in the ass, it also seems to result in very high-quality products overall (though clearly The Little Mermaid doesn't fall into this category) and some pretty great deals if you're savvy enough to find them.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Surely they are being sarcastic about not getting the title.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

People.

I was being serious. No clue on Dr Strangelove. Thanks for the replies though. Cleared some things up.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I found a copy of Beauty and the Beast 3D with the slipcover in perfect shape at Half Price Books this weekend for 20 buckos, NICE

just need Pinocchio ;_;

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Disney is replacing the 2D Blu-Ray and DVD discs from The Little Mermaid

800-723-4763 (U.S.)
888-877-2843 (Canada)

Not sure for Europe or other regions.

duckroll

With regards to the replacement program for Little Mermaid, if I buy it in December, is it likely that the retail stock will be corrected?

Cheerilee

With regards to the replacement program for Little Mermaid, if I buy it in December, is it likely that the retail stock will be corrected?

I don't think anyone knows the odds, but that also means "I can't say it's likely".

- Stores have been preparing for the Christmas rush since before summer. So they might have bought enough 1st-run disks to last through December.

- Stores don't always rotate their stock. About a week ago I was in Best Buy and I saw a popular 5+ year old videogame on the shelves that still had a "please don't break the street date" note on it. Unless they physically sell out completely and then restock with fresh product between now and December, there's still a chance of defective discs being mixed in with their stock.

Disney is apparently shipping fixed versions to stores already. Someone on Blu-ray.com claims to have already purchased a fixed version off the shelves.

There's no way to identify a fixed version just by looking at it in-store, not without opening it. The box art wasn't changed at all. There's a tiny serial number printed on the disc itself which is different, but it's easier to just play the disc and fast forward to the error than it is to check the serial numbers.

It's possible to ask a knowledgeable salesperson if they know if they have fresh discs. They probably don't know, but who knows, they might.

duckroll

Okay thanks. I guess I have to do some legwork on my own. I'm really glad that Disney actually fixed the error though, so the fact that a good version exists already made my day. :D

Top Bottom