• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Christopher

Disney December Releases!

518bsZvX-6L._AA160_.jpg

51iCTXmua7L._AA160_.jpg

http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/promotions/special-offers/lonerangercoupon#
loneranger8coupon.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Found a "pre-played" copy of Brave (containing all the discs but no DMR code or slipcase) at Loblaws (Canada) for $10. No idea why, since the store doesn't otherwise sell used movies, but there you go.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Bought and watched Mary Poppins last night. There's a lot of film grain during the beginning and ending credits, but less so during the movie. The sharper image really shows all the matte paintings for what they are, but they are really well done matte paintings so I didn't care.

isny

napkin dispenser
Found a "pre-played" copy of Brave (containing all the discs but no DMR code or slipcase) at Loblaws (Canada) for $10. No idea why, since the store doesn't otherwise sell used movies, but there you go.

Could be someone like Inetvideo supplying them? Good deal though!

I just ordered a European import copy of Aladdin on BD for my family and I to enjoy. I went this route as I read rumors that 2015 was the new release date on a diamond edition.

I read a couple of reviews stating this disc wasn't region locked, however some Amazon user reviews showed that may not be the case. Either way, my PC is jacked through HDMI - but I would rather use the PS3/4.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Does anyone have any of those special codes for enrolling in the Disney Movie Club?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Does anyone have any of those special codes for enrolling in the Disney Movie Club?

Are you American or Canadian? I'm going to take the Detroit stuff as a hint and guess American. The most recent US code I know of is 10042B which is for the following:
- 5 blu-rays * 0.20 = $1.00
- 1 blu-ray * 11.95 = $11.95
- 1 blu-ray * 8.95 = $8.95
- 2 COMMITMENT REQUIRED blu-rays over the next two years * 29.95 minimum = $59.90 minimum
Total $81.80 + shipping + tax = 9 blu-rays.

If you space out your commitment titles you can slightly lower the price.

Make sure you confirm what I've listed when going through the sign-up process so if the code is expired you don't end up with the default offer.

Son Of D

When do Disney usually announce the next set of releases? Speaking about the UK that is. Still waiting on Great Mouse Detective and Emperor's New Groove.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
When do Disney usually announce the next set of releases? Speaking about the UK that is. Still waiting on Great Mouse Detective and Emperor's New Groove.

Oliver is scheduled for Feb 2014 when North America gets Jungle Book. Nothing after that is scheduled for either region. But I would expect that in Feb-Mar we'd hear about any May-June type releases. The two regions are quite out of sync in release order right now.

Oliver is scheduled for Feb 2014 when North America gets Jungle Book. Nothing after that is scheduled for either region. But I would expect that in Feb-Mar we'd hear about any May-June type releases. The two regions are quite out of sync in release order right now.

May-June I assume we will get more Ghibli movies.

Roge_NES

Had a great last week of the year. I got Pinnochio as a christmas gift from a friend who knows I'm a Disney fanboy =P.

11522822656_c0b52b7f6f_c.jpg

And then a couple days later I find these at my local pawn shop, for 12 dollars each! If anyone has a spare Beauty and The Beast slipcover please PM me.

11680050653_ec2377534e_c.jpg

isny

napkin dispenser
So I believe I now have all of the Ghibli titles released on blu in North America. (Not going to buy the DVD's as they're overpriced and will eventually make their way to Blu. Mononoke was the exception as it was dirt cheap.)

lkwkEerl.jpg

Gameboy415

I was browsing around on Blu-Ray.com and came across a few new box-arts for upcoming Disney releases that I haven't seen mentioned in the thread yet yet:

The Black Cauldron (no release date)
44739_large.jpg

The Jungle Book 2 (March 18th)
92085_large.jpg

Winnie the Pooh: Springtime with Roo (March 11th)
91556_large.jpg

Also, it's not an animated film but I'm pretty psyched to see this is seemingly coming at some point this year too:

'Honey, I' 3-Movie Collection (no release date)
66373_large.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Frozen is March 18th, 2014.

Surprised they're getting Black Cauldron out of the way. Expect a really roughshod transfer with no special features, the film is the sort of black sheep of the Disney canon.

isny

napkin dispenser
Of course the Honey trilogy is being done on Blu after I imported the widescreen DVD's from the UK years ago. I guess I'll bite on the release if the transfer is up to snuff and it's decently priced ($15-$20.) They should know by now, transfers of things like Adventures in Babysitting, The Rocketeer, etc. really don't sell, so I'm actually surprised they're bothering to keep churning out some of this stuff that is almost completely irrelevant to today's consumer.

Ugh, Jungle Book 2 by itself? Now, I've never seen it so I can't judge. Although I haven't heard anything good, ever. Should be packaging in with Part 1 just like Emperors New Groove.

and a Rocketeer Blu Ray has been out? :eek:

cory64

Frozen is March 18th, 2014.

Surprised they're getting Black Cauldron out of the way. Expect a really roughshod transfer with no special features, the film is the sort of black sheep of the Disney canon.

They did a new DVD transfer in 2010 that looked fantastic, it's a 70mm film.
But yeah don't expect any bonus features.
I'm not a huge fan of the film but the optical effects in it are outstanding.

DJ_Lae

After a small Cineplex haul I'm now only missing Great Mouse Detective...and Pete's Dragon, though I don't really have an interest in picking that one up.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason none of the Cineplex stuff came with slip covers, so House on Poppy Hill, Roger Rabbit, and Sword in the Stone all look naked.

qindarka

Banned
The Black Cauldron will be the last of the canon (excluding package films) to be out on Blu-Ray, right?

Speaking of package films ,if they do get around to releasing Make Mine Music on Blu-Ray, they'd better not have cut out The Martins and the COys again.

isny

napkin dispenser
The Black Cauldron will be the last of the canon (excluding package films) to be out on Blu-Ray, right?

Speaking of package films ,if they do get around to releasing Make Mine Music on Blu-Ray, they'd better not have cut out The Martins and the COys again.

Dalmations, Aladdin, Hercules, Tarzan.

zroid

Banned
I finally ordered Nightmare Before Christmas from the Cineplex sale! Wanted it for a loooong time, but I set an internal price ceiling of $20. $16 with an Admit One pass was glorious.

Unfortunately it's backordered so looks like I'll be waiting a few more weeks.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Watched Mary Poppins on Blu tonight. Drop dead gorgeous transfer, preserves all the film grain, set paintings look wonderful, the animatronics look wonderful, Julie Andrews is gorgeous, the rotoscoped stuff looks vibrant, colours are great. I haven't watched the film in maybe 10-12 years at least and I was bowled over with pretty much every scene, what a great technical achievement. Very witty film too with excellent technical quality.

Most of the extras are recycled from the Platinum DVD release (there's a 60+ minute making of featurette) and the only notable new feature is Jason Schwartzmann and Robert Sherman discussing the music of Mary Poppins and Schwartzmann talking about his role in Saving Mr Banks.

The slipcase also looks fantastic.

So I totally recommend both the film itself and the Blu.

TheExodu5

Banned
So I believe I now have all of the Ghibli titles released on blu in North America. (Not going to buy the DVD's as they're overpriced and will eventually make their way to Blu. Mononoke was the exception as it was dirt cheap.)

lkwkEerl.jpg

There's a Grave of the Fireflies Blu-Ray?!

cory64

I ordered Disney WOW, it was on sale on Amazon earlier but it seems to have gone back up in price already. Includes some informative Goofy shorts. I always have trouble with my tv because it's an older plasma with tricky dithering. Changing brightness and contrast with it isn't linear, it can go back and forth. Sometimes I end up with say, 5% grey being lighter than 10%. A pain to adjust but the picture is solid enough to not have to replace.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I need to get some of those Ghibli films on Blu Ray. And when will we get Spirited Away?

Ghibli just released Princess Mononoke and The Cat Returns in Japan. Spirited Away is the only mainline Ghibli film not yet released on Blu-Ray there. North America's next releases have not yet been announced, but I suspect they will draw from the list of films already released in Japan.

Films Japan has that the US doesn't: Kiki, Only Yesterday, Porco Rosso, Pom Poko, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbors The Yamadas, The Cat Returns, Tales from Earthsea (although I believe this has a UK release if you are interested in importing).

So I would expect end of 2014 for Spirited Away in Japan and then some time in 2015 for NA. An English producer with Ghibli in Japan did Tweet about "reviewing the subtitles" on Spirited Away a little while ago, which a lot of people took as a tease.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DMC offer is:
- Jungle Book
- Jungle Book + Jungle Book 2

... or...

- Jungle Book + Jungle Book 2 + Peter Pan (last chance, entering vault imminently)
- Jungle Book + Jungle Book 2 + Cinderella

Which also means that Cinderella isn't vaulted right now? *updates OP*

johnsmith

remember me
I couldn't find the option to order just Jungle Book without the sequel so I declined. Hopefully there'll be a good deal with a coupon.

Talking about old Disney movies getting stealth Blu-Ray releases, would love to see Cool Runnings get the Blu treatment soon.

Such a good underrated movie and one of John Candy's last. Definitely a fav of mine!

Top Bottom