• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

number11

Being a Disney fan and a Steelbook collector is gonna kill my bank balance. I'm tempted to pick up all the other releases to complete the collection

qfU6qyu.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I never got into steelbooks because availability, especially for lesser-known stuff, is so hit or miss and the last thing I wanted was half my collection in steelbooks. The art for the TLM one looks really nice though :)

Veitsev

For anyone hesitant about getting the Little Mermaid bluray because of the editing issues I can confirm that my copy I just received from Amazon was the corrected version.

duckroll

I rewatched Little Mermaid the other day on blu-ray (yay! no shot order fuck up!), the first time I've rewatched the film in probably over a decade. I love the songs, the characters, etc, but goddamn I just can't get over how DUMB the actual ending is. Out of all the arguable asspulls which Disney does for their fairy tale endings, this has to rank among the worst of them. It really makes no sense!

Just in case someone out there hasn't watched this before (lol):
So Ursula is a powerful Sea Witch whose magic rivals King Triton himself, and she has defeated him, taken the crown and the trident, and now she is a giant super final boss with the power to control the oceans. Okay, cool. How does she get defeated? Prince Eric somehow navigates a shipwreck (which she rose from the bottom of the sea with her powers!) and stabs her in the stomach with the pointy end. Wut? Lol.

The extras were pretty great though, and it was really heartbreaking watching Howard Ashman in the old footage they had of him talking about the songs for the show. What a tragic loss for Disney. The guy was a genius. T_T

I rewatched Little Mermaid the other day on blu-ray (yay! no shot order fuck up!), the first time I've rewatched the film in probably over a decade. I love the songs, the characters, etc, but goddamn I just can't get over how DUMB the actual ending is. Out of all the arguable asspulls which Disney does for their fairy tale endings, this has to rank among the worst of them. It really makes no sense!

Just in case someone out there hasn't watched this before (lol):
So Ursula is a powerful Sea Witch whose magic rivals King Triton himself, and she has defeated him, taken the crown and the trident, and now she is a giant super final boss with the power to control the oceans. Okay, cool. How does she get defeated? Prince Eric somehow navigates a shipwreck (which she rose from the bottom of the sea with her powers!) and stabs her in the stomach with the pointy end. Wut? Lol.

The extras were pretty great though, and it was really heartbreaking watching Howard Ashman in the old footage they had of him talking about the songs for the show. What a tragic loss for Disney. The guy was a genius. T_T

I wouldn't think about it too much if i were you.

Cheerilee

For anyone hesitant about getting the Little Mermaid bluray because of the editing issues I can confirm that my copy I just received from Amazon was the corrected version.

The copy I got from Amazon in early December after people reported getting fixed versions from Amazon was one of the broken ones. :(

But that's what the recall program is for.

Magnus

How will I be able to tell if I got one of the TLM copies with a fixed shot order?

I just got mine from the Cineplex sale in Canada.

Cheerilee

Nah, it's based on the codes on the disc I'm pretty sure?

Watching it is the easiest way. It really stands out as a glaring error once you know what to look for. (Ariel is supposed to sing a line with visible emotion, then silently drift downwards while Flounder looks down. In the mixed up version, she sings a line off-camera while Flounder looks down for no reason, and then says nothing while she silently emotes for no reason.)

Disney will ask you to tell them the serial number on the disc, because that's how they recognize it.

Amazon.co.uk has a half decent 2 for £10 deal on at the moment and I managed to grab some of the not so loved classic Disney films. Chicken Little, Meet the Robinson and Dinosaur. Plus I got Anastasia and Pete's Dragon.

The Wild was also available. The picture on Amazon shows is with a 46th classic tab on the spine but no lists I could see has it as part of the Walt Disney Classic collection. Does anyone know if it is part of the line or not?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The Wild was also available. The picture on Amazon shows is with a 46th classic tab on the spine but no lists I could see has it as part of the Walt Disney Classic collection. Does anyone know if it is part of the line or not?

In the WDAS numbering, the Wild does not count. It was not made by WDAS, just distributed by Disney. It was made by CORE who also did The Ant Bully and Valiant (which was also distributed by Disney).

In the European release numbering, Dinosaur (which was made by WDAS) is not included as a numbered entry, while The Wild is. There's no real logical reason behind this, other than that Dinosaur is a bit of a poop movie.

WDAS number:
39 Dinosaur
40 Emperor's New Groove
41 Atlantis
42 Lilo and Stitch
43 Treasure Planet
44 Brother Bear
45 Home on the Range
46 Chicken Little
47 Meet the Robinsons

European release numbering:
39 Emperor's New Groove
40 Atlantis
41 Lilo and Stitch
42 Treasure Planet
43 Brother Bear
44 Home on the Range
45 Chicken Little
46 The Wild
47 Meet the Robinsons

So the answer is that in your country, The Wild might be given a number and Dinosaur might not, but internally to Disney Dinosaur is included and The Wild is not. Everything before Dinosaur or including/after Meet the Robinsons is otherwise the same, so only the above films have their numbering differ.

I remember reading that the only reason they count Dinosaur as a "Disney Classic" (they made it one retroactively) was so they could plop Tangled into the 50th slot and make a big deal about Disney's triumphant return to fairy tales and all that shit. Because otherwise seriously fuck Dinosaur, it has no business being on that list.

Stupid question.

I recently treated myself to TLM, Robin Hood, and The Sword in the Stone in order to round out my Disney collection. But they don't have sleeves! All of my movies have sleeves.

What can I do to get sleeves for them?

Christopher

Stupid question.

I recently treated myself to TLM, Robin Hood, and The Sword in the Stone in order to round out my Disney collection. But they don't have sleeves! All of my movies have sleeves.

You can all Disney direct if they have any more they'll charge you 3.50 for each. They run out quickly, if not you'll have to eBay em

In the WDAS numbering, the Wild does not count. It was not made by WDAS, just distributed by Disney. It was made by CORE who also did The Ant Bully and Valiant (which was also distributed by Disney).

In the European release numbering, Dinosaur (which was made by WDAS) is not included as a numbered entry, while The Wild is. There's no real logical reason behind this, other than that Dinosaur is a bit of a poop movie.

WDAS number:
39 Dinosaur
40 Emperor's New Groove
41 Atlantis
42 Lilo and Stitch
43 Treasure Planet
44 Brother Bear
45 Home on the Range
46 Chicken Little
47 Meet the Robinsons

European release numbering:
39 Emperor's New Groove
40 Atlantis
41 Lilo and Stitch
42 Treasure Planet
43 Brother Bear
44 Home on the Range
45 Chicken Little
46 The Wild
47 Meet the Robinsons

So the answer is that in your country, The Wild might be given a number and Dinosaur might not, but internally to Disney Dinosaur is included and The Wild is not. Everything before Dinosaur or including/after Meet the Robinsons is otherwise the same, so only the above films have their numbering differ.

Wow thanks for the thourgh explanation. I guess i won't bother picking it. I'm not expecting much from the films I picked up but the collector in me wants to see all the numbers on my shelf.

I wish Disney would hurry up and bring Basel The Great Mouse Detective out over here. I loved that fit when I was younger.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Stupid question.

Welcome to collecting Disney Blu-rays. Hahaha. Sleeve completionism is an expensive and anxiety-inducing part of the hobby

Edit: Sorry, to be a little more useful:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=235673

That's the best resource on the internet on getting slipcases.

I remember reading that the only reason they count Dinosaur as a "Disney Classic" (they made it one retroactively) was so they could plop Tangled into the 50th slot and make a big deal about Disney's triumphant return to fairy tales and all that shit. Because otherwise seriously fuck Dinosaur, it has no business being on that list.

Well neither does Chicken Little but you gotta roll with the ups and downs of being a WDAS fan.

Well neither does Chicken Little but you gotta roll with the ups and downs of being a WDAS fan.

Chicken Little might be terrible (I've never seen it and don't plan to) but it was always a "Disney Classics" line movie. Dinosaur wasn't added to the line until like 7-8 years after it came out.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Are there any notoriously rare Disney VHS releases? (apart from Chicken Little).

I don't believe there are any specific animated films that are rare (maybe Chicken Little and Home on the Range, which I believe were the last two released on VHS). Some releases of films are rare. I know the original release run of VHSes pre-1985 are a little unusual. Not sure if they have much value, but they're hard to come by. Pretty much everything got 2-3 releases during the lifespan of the VHS format. And all the pre-VHS home releases that Disney experimented with on other long-since forgotten home video formats are tough to find.

Actually, one that I can think of is that Song of the South's PAL release is somewhat valued, and all the laserdisc releases, because it never got a US home release at all.

But if you're asking because you've got a truckload of old Disney VHS and want to sell them for a profit, I suspect you'll find it's not worth your time or effort for the miniscule amount of money you'd get ;)

Edit: I actually remembered a question about this from the D23 Ask Dave column:
Q: Hello! I found an unopened videotape of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs from 1998 mixed in with my movies. It says it was the first time it was ever on video! Is this true, and, if so, is it worth anything other than coolness?
Eliza, Orlando, Florida
A: It was actually first released on videocassette in 1994. The early videos have little collectible value.

It was also a face-saving measure. Disney thought the technology in Dinosaur would be revolutionary and change the way movies are made etc. etc. The movie did well in the box office but it hardly lit the world on fire, so Disney just pretended it was an experimental canon entry while shutting down the studio that made it - though it only found itself as a numbered entry recently.

Soulfire

I got an email yesterday saying that Peter Pan and Peter Pan: Return to Never Land were being vaulted. There wasn't a date given that I saw though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I got an email yesterday saying that Peter Pan and Peter Pan: Return to Never Land were being vaulted. There wasn't a date given that I saw though.

Yeah this is the second or third warning for those. I actually thought they were vaulted until this month's DMC offer included an option to get Peter Pan. So I would expect vaulting soon. I have it marked in the vault in the OP's image for that reason.

When is the next round of vaulting and what's going in?

Peter Pan / Return to Neverland are in the next vault round.

kdW4aPL.png

MeealZzl.png

I liked it, but it's certainly not the greatest.

I won't lie, I've been tempted to watch it before. I mean I actually LIKE Home on the Rage (though I agree it's totally awful). There's just something about it that I hate though. I think it's everything about it's genesis, with Eisner killing traditionally animated movies at Disney to make what was essentially their version of a Dreamworks movie, really pissed me off and soured me on ever watching it.

I won't lie, I've been tempted to watch it before. I mean I actually LIKE Home on the Rage (though I agree it's totally awful). There's just something about it that I hate though. I think it's everything about it's genesis, with Eisner killing traditionally animated movies at Disney to make what was essentially their version of a Dreamworks movie, really pissed me off and soured me on ever watching it.

I can totally understand that. Personally, I wasn't much of a fan of HotR.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There's a Grave of the Fireflies Blu-Ray?!
Since 2012, which is why it's the only one I'm missing a slipcover for as I just recently got it. Poppy Hill just came out in September.
I don't think it did. I pre-ordered my copy and it didn't have a slip cover.
It's a completely different distributor/publisher (Sentai) and they have never done slipcovers as far as I know.

cory64

I like the idea but the execution's a bit sloppy.
Not that it even matters since there's no way it will be even half as good as the 2008 set was.

johnsmith

remember me
They're rereleasing sleeping beauty and we still haven't gotten Aladdin? Wtf Disney.

Also what does "first time on digital HD" mean? The last release already looked fantastic.

Christopher

They're rereleasing sleeping beauty and we still haven't gotten Aladdin? Wtf Disney.

Also what does "first time on digital HD" mean? The last release already looked fantastic.

Wasn't available on iTunes or amazon UV blah blah...gotta be first time on something!

Can someone post it here for all to see?

Cat

I remember buying Sleeping Beauty on blu-ray when I was on a Kingdom Hearts kick (which I'm on again right now because I've been playing KH Final Mix on the 1.5 release lately).

So no 3d Blu-Ray included in the Frozen release for the US market? I hope they're not pulling another OZ fiasco on us. Hopefully they at the least release an ultimate collector edition later with the 3d disk included... If they do that I'm guessing in time for Holiday 2014. Anyone have further thoughts or news on this?

cory64

The Jungle Book is ONLY being released with a gold slipcover, so if you've had all blue so far you're out of luck. Looks like SB is going to be the same way, except it actually has a nice design compared to this mediocre one:

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
To be fair, is it possible to have all blue slips so far if you're collecting all disney films and not just Diamond Editions? Mulan is only red, the Incredibles is only red-orange, Emperor's New Groove is only green, I think Bambi is only green, right?

So no 3d Blu-Ray included in the Frozen release for the US market? I hope they're not pulling another OZ fiasco on us. Hopefully they at the least release an ultimate collector edition later with the 3d disk included... If they do that I'm guessing in time for Holiday 2014. Anyone have further thoughts or news on this?

What was the OZ fiasco? Didn't release the 3D Blu for months?

cory64

To be fair, is it possible to have all blue slips so far if you're collecting all disney films and not just Diamond Editions? Mulan is only red, the Incredibles is only red-orange, Emperor's New Groove is only green, I think Bambi is only green, right?
True, though it's not an issue as long as it's well done like Mulan's or Little Mermaid 3D or Peter Pan's gold edition.

It just looks better when the artwork isn't squished into an oval
cycFM6N.jpg

DVD version is better too:
LkcYBIl.jpg

cory64

I wish they still used the fat cases like they did on Snow White, Pinocchio, and Monsters Inc. Very nice feel to them.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Disney Movie Club's price changes are definitely not working properly in Canada.

YhplXwA.png

26.95, but 10.78 if I take advantage of the offer. *clicks on "With Offer"* "Buy 1 Movie at Regular Price Get 50% Off Additional DVDs and Blu-ray Discs!" Okay, but 26.95 - 50% is 13.48 not 10.78... *adds to cart* 26.95.

What else should I add to take advantage of the offer. Here's a Pooh Christmas movie. I don't really want it, but let's just check out this pricing thing. 31.95 regular, 13.98 with offer. 13.98 is not 50% off of 31.95. *adds to cart* Pooh is 31.95 as you'd expect, and Frozen is 13.48, not 10.78. Movies that are 21.95 movies are listed as 10.78 with the offer (like the Tigger Movie). I have no idea why the price is off by 20 cents, but there you go. Planes is listed as 44.95 -> 17.98 after the offer (as though the base price should be 34.95)

I suspect what's happening is that the prices the offer is working properly (50% off reported full price), but the price reported for the offer is based on a discounted price that hasn't properly taken effect.

Top Bottom