• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I wish they still used the fat cases like they did on Snow White, Pinocchio, and Monsters Inc. Very nice feel to them.

Don't they usually still do the fatter cases on the 3D sets?

And sorry if the question is old, but why is there no 3D set being released?

cory64

Don't they usually still do the fatter cases on the 3D sets?

And sorry if the question is old, but why is there no 3D set being released?

Disney uses Elite cases for anything more than 3 discs now, the ones I was talking about were Vortex cases. They have rounder top corners and use harder plastic for the disc trays.

edit: yeah Frozen won't have a 3D set for a few months, no clue why.

johnsmith

remember me
Oliver and Company is 14.96 on amazon. Worth it? I think I saw it as a kid, and I remember having these McDonalds toys from it, but I remember nothing about the movie.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CTNUMPO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

il_570xN.184258572.jpg

That seems like a bit of a stretch.

But B&TB, Aladdin, and The Lion King are outliers for image quality partly because the age of the source material, budget in original production, and vested interest Disney had in their IMAX releases.

cory64

It's a little bit better than upscaling the Platinum edition, but not by much.
There's extra depth and fine detail trapped in the grain they're removing from all their films, it's sad to see them with no signs of changing their ways (obviously the digitally created films like BatB and TLK are excepted from this, though their color timing is questionable).
We can't even get disc art anymore.

johnsmith

remember me
So was there no printable Jungle Book coupon? I think this is the first diamond edition without one. Good thing I got the one from amazon a while back.

It's a little bit better than upscaling the Platinum edition, but not by much.
There's extra depth and fine detail trapped in the grain they're removing from all their films, it's sad to see them with no signs of changing their ways (obviously the digitally created films like BatB and TLK are excepted from this, though their color timing is questionable).
We can't even get disc art anymore.
On top of that, bare-bones menus and no new or minimal effort special features compared to the early Diamond Edition releases, and it's hardly worth buying these movies anymore outside of favorites.

I was buying the Disney movies I didn't even care for just because there was so much care put into the transfers and the special features.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't necessarily blame Disney for the reduced efforts; sales of DVD and Blu have plummeted across the board. People are moving away from owning stuff. Obviously higher quality products are more interesting and measures to make stuff more affordable will increase unit sales, but there's enough structural decay industry-wide that it doesn't surprise me that budgets and effort levels have declined.

TV-on-DVD has really suffered from this even worse than films have.

cory64

Seems like they're overserving the family market (who are generally switching to streaming) and underserving the collectors market. No one wins.

XShagrath

I'm heading up to Toys R Us in a bit to grab Jungle Book for $11.

All you have to do is pre-order Frozen for $1, and you'll get $10 off a Disney title purchased at the same time as the pre-order.

I did this same thing with Monsters University and got it for $13 (I think) when it came out.

Christopher

What's going in the Disney Vault in 2014 (April)

61XbaQixNbL._AA160_.jpg
51OFGEznbOL._AA160_.jpg

2014 Releases:

612EOrBcl7L._AA160_.jpg
51%2BYf976LZL._AA160_.jpg

...Not too much unlike the other years, of course we have Sleeping Beauty and probably Maleficent, however looks bleek.

Not sure why they are doing Sleeping Beauty again before they release stuff like Herc or Aladdin =/.

Is the new version going to be really any different from the previous BRD release?

jett

D-Member
Wow I just happened upon a Sword in the Stone review and I can't believe how it looks. I don't like the movie much but it deserves better. Whoever worked on this BD remaster needs to be fired ASAP and blacklisted from industry. Shameful, embarrassing work.

There are no words to describe this. The original work was destroyed.

cory64

Lowry did the Diamond edition of Mermaid but not the Platinum, which was Technicolor. All of the Walt era Blu-rays except for Sword in the Stone were done by Lowry.

Christopher

Lowry did the Diamond edition of Mermaid but not the Platinum, which was Technicolor. All of the Walt era Blu-rays except for Sword in the Stone were done by Lowry.

Are you SURE? I remember Disney in-house doing the 2D/3D Mermaid conversion and restoration.

cory64

Time in Vault before Blu-ray:
Snow White: 8 years (8 years between releases)
Pinocchio: 7 years (9 years between releases)
Fantasia: 7 years (10 between)
Bambi: 4 years (6 between)
Cinderella: 5 years (7 between)
Peter Pan: 4 years (6 between)
Lady and the Tramp: 5 years (6 between)
Sleeping Beauty: 5 years (5 between)
101 Dalmatians: will be at least 5 years (at least 6 between)
Jungle Book: 4 years (5 between)
The Little Mermaid: 5 years (7 between)
Beauty and the Beast: 8 years (8 between)
Aladdin: 6 years and counting (9 years since last release)
The Lion King: 7 years (8 between)

I'm surprised they haven't vaulted Tangled yet.

Christopher

Cory do you think the vslut is still a good thing? I dunno to be honest.

Also I cant wait for these for their digital release:

Snow white
Aladdin
Bambi
Sleeping beauty
Pinnochio
Fantasia

Then I'm pretty much done as I said im not gonna rebuy physical media over and over again anymore

Magnus

Time in Vault before Blu-ray:
Snow White: 8 years (8 years between releases)
Pinocchio: 7 years (9 years between releases)
Fantasia: 7 years (10 between)
Bambi: 4 years (6 between)
Cinderella: 5 years (7 between)
Peter Pan: 4 years (6 between)
Lady and the Tramp: 5 years (6 between)
Sleeping Beauty: 5 years (5 between)
101 Dalmatians: will be at least 5 years (at least 6 between)
Jungle Book: 4 years (5 between)
The Little Mermaid: 5 years (7 between)
Beauty and the Beast: 8 years (8 between)
Aladdin: 6 years and counting (9 years since last release)
The Lion King: 7 years (8 between)

I'm surprised they haven't vaulted Tangled yet.

I'm confused about the difference between these two sets of numbers. Aren't they they the same thing? - time since last release, and waiting time till bluray?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm confused about the difference between these two sets of numbers. Aren't they they the same thing? - time since last release, and waiting time till bluray?

One is length of time it's been in the vault; one is length of time since the last release. The difference between the two is the amount of time the release was available before being vaulted.

Top Bottom