• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Magnus

One is length of time it's been in the vault; one is length of time since the last release. The difference between the two is the amount of time the release was available before being vaulted.

My brain is probably over-complicating this - hahaha. Thanks, I think I understand.

edit0

Ohhhh, I understand. So, in Aladdin's case, it's been 9 years since the last release (on DVD), and 6 years that it's been vaulted ("waiting for bluray"). So, it was available for sale for the three years in between.

GOTCHA.

I think I would have understood it better if the numbers were flipped, haha.

Anth0ny

But then you have the terrible cover art and the ugly ratings icons.

81kzJi30DdL._SL1500_.jpg

that cover isn't horrible

But I'm hoping some version of the North American release uses this for a cover:

:)

Famassu

So, I haven't bought a lot of Blu-rays within the last 1,5-2 years and I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what movies have been released and are still available and where. I'm European and I have the following Disney Blu-ray's, what am I still missing from the (non-horrible sequels, non-Pixar) Disney movies released in Europe so far? (I'll accept suggestions if there are some region-free ones that are (seemingly) never happening in Europe but have been released in North America or somewhere, I know Winnie the Pooh is doomed on the old continent):

101 Dalmatians
Alice in Wonderland
Aristocats
Bambi
Beauty & the Beast
Bolt
Dumbo
Fantasia
Fantasia 2000
Jungle Book
Lady & the Tramp
Lion King
Little Mermaid
Pinocchio
Pocahontas
Princess & the Frog
Sleeping Beauty
Snow White & the Seven Dwarves
Tangled
The Fox and the Hound

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Disney films available in the EU:

Pixar (All available)
Toy Story
A Bug's Life
Toy Story 2
Monsters Inc
Finding Nemo
The Incredibles
Cars
Ratatouille
Wall-E
Up
Toy Story 3
Cars 2
Brave
Monsters University
(+ the two short film collections)

Disney
Snow White
Pinocchio
Fantasia
Dumbo
Bambi
Cinderella
Alice in Wonderland
Peter Pan
Lady and the Tramp
Sleeping Beauty
101 Dalmatians * Not available in US
The Sword in the Stone
The Jungle Book
The Aristocats
Robin Hood
The Rescuers
The Fox and the Hound
The Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin * Not available in US
The Lion King
Pocahontas
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Hercules * Not available in US
Mulan
Tarzan * Not available in US
Fantasia 2000 (in a two-pack with Fantasia in US, not sure about EU)
Dinosaur
Brother Bear
Chicken Little
Meet the Robinsons
Bolt
The Princess and the Frog
Tangled
Wreck-it Ralph

Films that are NOT available in the EU, but have US versions available, so you could maybe import:
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
The Great Mouse Detective (Basil of Baker Street)
Oliver and Company -- releasing soon in EU
The Rescuers Down Under (in a two-pack with The Rescuers in the US)
The Emperor's New Groove -- releasing soon in EU
Atlantis
Lilo and Stitch -- releasing soon in EU
Treasure Planet
Home on the Range
Winnie the Pooh 2011
I don't know the region codes on ANY of these films

Films that aren't available anywhere:
Saludos Amigos
The Three Caballeros
Make Mine Music
Fun and Fancy Free
Melody Time
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr Toad
The Black Cauldron -- releasing soon in EU and US.

In terms of import advice, the two Winnie the Pooh films are the only ones that I am aware of that actually have issues that might prevent the release. Personally if I was in your position I'd import those two and wait out all the rest, unless the US-only films were the absolute last ones you needed for your collection.

cory64

Films available in HD on iTunes in US/EU but not on Blu-ray anywhere
Saludos Amigos (also available in Australia)
The Three Caballeros
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr Toad
The Black Cauldron

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Just curious, but did y'all try Disney Movies Anywhere yet on iOS? I was project lead on it for our studio and would love some feedback from folks, especially those who own a lot of Disney flicks.

cory64

Wow that finally launched? Thought it had been canned. I don't have any iOS devices but I can't wait to try it regardless.

edit: I'm also waiting for Apple to upgrade its pathetic bitrate for 1080p movies and shows.

dan2026

Has Disney stopped botching all their Blu-ray reconstruction work?

I remember reading about how they were destroying detail and messing up all the colours.

cory64

They only have one film-based animated feature left to put on Blu-ray (The Black Cauldron), and it's already available on iTunes in HD and it looks fine. Not ideal, but acceptable.

Surprised to see that I had so many movies already on DMA, forgot that all my Pixar ones had digital copies. However it is disappointing that there's no upgrade path from Blu-ray, so that basically kills the entire service for me. And what's the deal with vaulted titles that never had digital copies in the first place? WTF?

Wow that finally launched? Thought it had been canned. I don't have any iOS devices but I can't wait to try it regardless.

edit: I'm also waiting for Apple to upgrade its pathetic bitrate for 1080p movies and shows.
IDK, in a lot of the comparisons I see these days, you have to seriously look to see the difference between the iTunes and Blu-ray version. It's definitely still there, but honestly to the point that I don't really care about it.

It's more the draconian DRM that companies apply to videos that concern me. Why am I getting punished when I'm purchasing things legally?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just curious, but did y'all try Disney Movies Anywhere yet on iOS? I was project lead on it for our studio and would love some feedback from folks, especially those who own a lot of Disney flicks.

Big issue with Disney Movies Anywhere: US only. Not useful feedback for you, of course, but frustrating for me :p

Edit: Well, never mind, it looks like hardly any Disney movies have digital copies in Canada anyway, so the service would be useless for me. I've got maybe 50-55 Disney Blus, 10 of them (Finding Nemo, Incredibles, Little Mermaid, Mary Poppins, Monsters Inc, Monsters University, Pirates 4, Toy Story 3, Tron Legacy, Wall-E) have digital copies, the rest don't.

cory64

I can only do iTunes TV shows. I'd like to do movies but my monitor doesn't have HDCP, on top of their absurd DRM. Vudu is the only real competitor in this space, but meh.

How does it work if you have it on iTunes it matches it?
Yup you just link your DMR and iTunes accounts.

Snaku

Banned
Works both ways for films you bought on iTunes and redeemed through DMR.

Am I understanding it correctly that DMA will branch out to include vudu, google play, amazon, etc eventually? I've been redeeming nearly all of my Digital Copy + codes on Vudu for the last year, so when they add vudu support for DMA those films will transfer over to my locker, right?

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Am I understanding it correctly that DMA will branch out to include vudu, google play, amazon, etc eventually? I've been redeeming nearly all of my Digital Copy + codes on Vudu for the last year, so when they add vudu support for DMA those films will transfer over to my locker, right?

If you redeemed the films through Digital Copy +, regardless of where you redeemed them to, they'll show up in your locker on the DMA app (via Keychest). If you bought the films directly from a service other than iTunes, they won't.

You can also buy movies through iTunes in the app and you'll get reward points as well, which was also very cool to work on. :)

cajunator

Banned
Why is Lion King and Beauty and the Beast so expensive?
I have both on bluray now so Im not personally worried but for a company with mainstream appeal shouldnt the movies be easily available and affordable?
Why are blurays still being treated like precious gold?

isny

napkin dispenser
I have both on bluray now so Im not personally worried but for a company with mainstream appeal shouldnt the movies be easily available and affordable?

This is just the forced value that Disney has always created for their titles when they put titles back into the "vault."

overcast

Goes in the vault, so the value rises as production of it is done. Kinda stupid.
Beauty and the Beasts prices have sky rocketed, please get The Lion King before it does the same guys...
Honestly, it's too late. 45 dollars :\

cajunator

Banned
Guess Ill get it asap then. I got the two big ones.
I also have Hunchback on bluray. Any others yall think I should jump on brfore they go up? Or maybe its too late?

overcast

Which ones do you want to jump on? Beauty and the Beast is like 65 dollars or something.

I might get Lion King later this month at 40ish, which is just insane.

Christopher

Does anyone have Disney movie reward codes for the older muppets or Winnie the pooh adventures message me if so well set something up ;)

I've used it from day 1. Works wonderfully after the update (was crashing a bit at first). I hope Vudu integration comes soon as I use Vudu most of the time now. The Disney stuff is so expensive to rebuy if I wanted to have it all in Vudu :/

Top Bottom