• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

The 3D version is being released in EU on 31st March in 3D. It's only £18, which all things considered isn't too bad. You could always import it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FZM8Z7I/

Has the 3D version of The Little Mermaid been corrected yet? I still need to import it as it was never released here in the UK (along with Meet the Robinsons and Chicken Little... the missus STILL wants those two).

Christopher

movie-thumb_116965_web.jpg
movie-thumb_147562_web.jpg

Going back in the vault NEXT MONTH - get them now!

cory64

The DMC deal this month isn't -terrible-, Saving Mr. Banks and Mary Poppins for $40 or a triple feature with Peter Pan for $57 or Pete's Dragon for $54.

Cheska

I just watched Sleeping Beauty and then the Little Mermaid immediately after and is it just me, or does TLM not look as crisp as SB? I was instantly impressed by the quality of Sleeping Beauty, but TLM seems sub standard to me..

cory64

I just watched Sleeping Beauty and then the Little Mermaid immediately after and is it just me, or does TLM not look as crisp as SB? I was instantly impressed by the quality of Sleeping Beauty, but TLM seems sub standard to me..
Sleeping Beauty was shot on 70mm film, Mermaid was 35mm. They also spent way more money on Sleeping Beauty's restoration.

Snaku

Banned
Sleeping Beauty was shot on 70mm film, Mermaid was 35mm. They also spent way more money on Sleeping Beauty's restoration.

Sleeping Beauty's pq is absolutely breathtaking, it was the first blu-ray that made my jaw drop. Of course the last time I had seen the movie was on the Black Diamond VHS I had as a kid.

It looks like the buy one get one free offer is back in the UK. It's available on play and I presume other websites will add it during the day.

New titles added in this BOGOF are Planes, Monsters University, Little Mermaid, Herculean, Mary Poppins and the swords in the stone.

I haven't checked the 3D section. I was hoping to pick up Robin Hood but it seems that it came out not that long ago.

It looks like the buy one get one free offer is back in the UK. It's available on play and I presume other websites will add it during the day.

Nee titles are Planes, Monsters University, Little Mermaid, Herculean, Mary Poppins and the swords in the stone.

I haven't checked the 3D section. I was hoping to pick up Robin Hood but it seems that it came out not that long ago.

Full list form Amazon.co.uk (listed as 2 for £16, instead of BOGOF but it's the same offer):

101 Dalmations
Aladdin
Alice in Wonderland
Bambi
Brave
Cinderella Diamond Edition
Dumbo
Fantasia
Finding Nemo
Hercules
Lilo & Stitch
Mary Poppins 50th Anniversary Edition
Monsters Inc
Monsters University
Mulan
Peter Pan
Pinocchio
Planes
Pocahontas
Ratatouille
Tangled
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
The Jungle Book
The Lady and the Tramp
The Little Mermaid
The Princess and the Frog
The Sword in the Stone
Toy Story Special Edition
Toy Story 2 Special Edition
Toy Story 3
Up
Wall-E
Wreck-It Ralph

New titles added in this BOGOF are Planes, Monsters University, Little Mermaid, Herculean, Mary Poppins and the swords in the stone.

HMV are doing 2 for £14.99 and appears to be for every Disney title they stock.

Cheerilee

Has little mermaid been fixed yet? I've been holding off buying it.
Hmm I hadnt heard of it. Whats wrong with it?

They disassembled the movie when they restored it, but when they reassembled it, someone messed up and put two shots in the incorrect order. Right at the height of "Part of Your World", too. The audio is fine, but the video looks wrong to anyone who can see the difference between good directing and bad directing.

Disney quietly switched over to printing a "1.1" fixed version of the Bluray and DVD (not the 3D Bluray, too much expense for a dying format), but they didn't do a recall, so some stores still have old stock on hand, and it's a crapshoot if you get the fixed version or not (there is nothing on the box to indicate whether it's a fixed version or not).

People seemed to be getting the fixed version back in December when I decided to buy it, but I still got the original flawed version. Someone said it might be because I got the deluxe set (Blu + DVD + 3DBlu + Digital) and apparently those were all made before the 1.1. So if you're looking to get that one, maybe you'll never find a fixed version, but if you're just getting the regular edition, maybe all the flawed ones have been diluted out of the system by this point?

In any case, if you get the flawed version, you can phone or email customer service, they'll confirm a few things, and then they'll snail-mail you a prepaid mailing label (you have to provide your own bubble mailer envelope). You use that to snail-mail them your 2D Blu and DVD (not the 3D or the packaging), and after they get it, they'll snail-mail you a 1.1 replacement. I'm still waiting for mine. It's a bother, but whatever. Better than leaving it unfixed, which had initially caused me to cancel my preorder.

Picked up a few more today:

Cars 3D
Cars 2 3D
The Fox & the Hound
Lilo & Stitch
Hercules
Mulan

Saw that Oliver & Company was out too, but it wasn't in the bogof. Maybe next time though (Cars 3D and Cars 2 3D were both in HMV's 2 3D BRD for £25 offer). Our Pixar collection appears to be complete now, which I'm pleased about.

cajunator

Banned
They disassembled the movie when they restored it, but when they reassembled it, someone messed up and put two shots in the incorrect order. Right at the height of "Part of Your World", too. The audio is fine, but the video looks wrong to anyone who can see the difference between good directing and bad directing.

Disney quietly switched over to printing a "1.1" fixed version of the Bluray and DVD (not the 3D Bluray, too much expense for a dying format), but they didn't do a recall, so some stores still have old stock on hand, and it's a crapshoot if you get the fixed version or not (there is nothing on the box to indicate whether it's a fixed version or not).

People seemed to be getting the fixed version back in December when I decided to buy it, but I still got the original flawed version. Someone said it might be because I got the deluxe set (Blu + DVD + 3DBlu + Digital) and apparently those were all made before the 1.1. So if you're looking to get that one, maybe you'll never find a fixed version, but if you're just getting the regular edition, maybe all the flawed ones have been diluted out of the system by this point?

In any case, if you get the flawed version, you can phone or email customer service, they'll confirm a few things, and then they'll snail-mail you a prepaid mailing label (you have to provide your own bubble mailer envelope). You use that to snail-mail them your 2D Blu and DVD (not the 3D or the packaging), and after they get it, they'll snail-mail you a 1.1 replacement. I'm still waiting for mine. It's a bother, but whatever. Better than leaving it unfixed, which had initially caused me to cancel my preorder.

Hmm. Im stereoblind so I have no use for the 3d one.

IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME

Do we have a release date?

Also kinda surprised that Tarzan II isn't bundled. Did they make a second Herc movie or was it just the TV show?

IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME

Do we have a release date?

Also kinda surprised that Tarzan II isn't bundled. Did they make a second Herc movie or was it just the TV show?
There was a TV show. They made a "movie" on it called Hercules: Zero to Hero but it's just three episodes spliced together.

I might pass on Herc since it's on Netflix but I can't wait for Tarzan. And thank Christ they're not contaminating it with that awful sequel.

So what makes Tarzan a "special edition" and Hercules just some standard set? Won't know until the feature list comes out or is it rated higher than Herc on some internal Disney ladder for whatever reason?

Got round to redeeming a load of DMR codes yesterday. Had enough to order Mulan, Fantasia and Fantasia 2000, all on Blu-ray, and all for free.

Still got a few points left too, so once they come and I redeem the codes from them I should be able to get another free Blu. Will either be Lady & the Tramp or Aladdin. Not decided yet.

zroid

Banned
Got round to redeeming a load of DMR codes yesterday. Had enough to order Mulan, Fantasia and Fantasia 2000, all on Blu-ray, and all for free.

Is this from the rewards catalogue? I don't see Fantasia/2000, would definitely order them if I could.

edit: I looked it up and apparently they're available in the UK... guessing that's where you're from, lol.

Is this from the rewards catalogue? I don't see Fantasia/2000, would definitely order them if I could.

edit: I looked it up and apparently they're available in the UK... guessing that's where you're from, lol.

Yup, I'm in the UK. DMR's not too bad here, but it's rarely updated. It's had 3 or 4 new movies added since I started using it (got Lion King 3D for free from them, back in the day). In fact, more stuff's dropped off than been added and there's next to nothing left that I don't already own or aren't interested in.

Hopefully they'll add more stuff soon.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Still no Aladdin? :(

Aladdin is 100% going to be a Diamond release, meaning either a Spring or Fall release based on the past pattern. No one knows whether they'll do another Diamond besides Sleeping Beauty this fall, since this is their first Blu to be removed from the vault.

With Hercules and Tarzan announced--well, sort of--the only remaining mainline titles in the US to not be announced are 101 Dalmatians, Aladdin, and the package films from the 40s.

Aladdin is 100% going to be a Diamond release, meaning either a Spring or Fall release based on the past pattern. No one knows whether they'll do another Diamond besides Sleeping Beauty this fall, since this is their first Blu to be removed from the vault.

With Hercules and Tarzan announced--well, sort of--the only remaining mainline titles in the US to not be announced are 101 Dalmatians, Aladdin, and the package films from the 40s.
Hopefully you're right about that. We need to see Jafar in glorious HD!

Once they are done with the mainline titles, they should re-release all the Disney classic cartoons/shorts on BR.

Top Bottom