• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

johnsmith

remember me
Wreck it Ralph and Tangled are on sale too, along with some Pixar movies like Brave and Monster's University 2, and dtv/crap like the tinkerbell movies and planes.

Good sale, but I already have everything in it.

I remember as a kid when I first saw the commercial/trailer for Lion King and they said "Disney's 32nd animated classic..." but I thought they said "thirty-second animated classic" and I was like WTF they just showed the whole thing then.

MicH

Really annoyed that none of the Disney classics have had slipcovers since Lion aking was released (I think) here in Denmark. All single-disc, too :/ Also, Frozen is a wonderful movie

Cheerilee

Wreck it Ralph and Tangled are on sale too, along with some Pixar movies like Brave and Monster's University 2, and dtv/crap like the tinkerbell movies and planes.

Just to mention, the Tinkerbell movies aren't crap. They're kids movies, but they're really good kids movies, better than they have any right to be, which elevates them into a "not for everyone" kind of adult category.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Did you ever seen those movies? I think half of those movies were fantastic kid movies.

Spocker

Really annoyed that none of the Disney classics have had slipcovers since Lion aking was released (I think) here in Denmark. All single-disc, too :/ Also, Frozen is a wonderful movie

The Little Mermaid came with a slipcover here in Sweden, should have been the same in Denmark since it's the same distributor.

MicH

The Little Mermaid came with a slipcover here in Sweden, should have been the same in Denmark since it's the same distributor.
Just checked and you're right! But pretty much none of the movies have then anymore. Not even Ralph or Frozen :/

Cheerilee

Disney's direct to video offerings do not inspire confidence. If crap like Planes got a theatrical release, why didn't those?

Long story.

Basically, Disneytoon was set up in the money-hungry Eisner era and was mandated to exploit established Disney IP with direct-to-video sequels made on a shoestring budget, and they weren't allowed to damage the brands they were working on, so they weren't even allowed to take story risks. I know a lot of people hate Dinseytoon's output from this time, but even though I can see the flaws (Return to Neverland was just terrible) I kind of respect what they managed to get done under terrible working conditions. I know WDAS reportedly hated Disneytoon for stepping on their toes, but I've seen comments that they hated Ducktales and Rescue Rangers for the same reasons, so I don't put a lot of weight into that complaint.

The Tinkerbell series is an attempt to flesh out Disney's unofficial mascot.

After Eisner got the boot for having no soul and Lasseter came to power, Lasseter checked up on the progress of the first movie, since it was stuck in development hell, and said it was absolutely terrible. The writer and director said it was the fault of the head of Disneytoon, an Eisner loyalist, who had inexplicably taken a personal, creative interest in the movie, and churned through a dozen writers and directors and rewrites, trying to attain her perfect vision. Lasseter sat down with the director and writer and asked what they wanted to make, agreed with everything they put forward, and then ordered Disneytoon to make it happen. Then there was some drama with the head of Disneytoon having a meltdown and refusing to listen to Lasseter, putting two "Tinkerbell 1" movies into production at the same time (hers and Lasseters), which resulted in her getting fired.

I've seen four of the Tinkerbell movies (as well as one short episode) and they're really good. I haven't seen the fifth movie yet, but the Bluray just came out and it's sitting on my shelf, and a sixth movie is in production. They're kids movies and they don't have the universal appeal of something like Tangled or Frozen, but as someone well-versed in kids products, they're really good. Basically, if you suspect you'll like the Tinkerbell movies, you probably will. If you can't see how you'd enjoy them, then you probably won't. I must admit, they're not for everybody.

Comparing Disneytoon's first golden age to Pixar's descent into marketing whoredom is like comparing apples to oranges.

Bii

A bunch of Disney movies are $13 at Target:

Frozen
The Little Mermaid
Peter Pan
Cinderella
The Jungle Book

and a few more I believe.

Dropped by my local Target and got The Jungle Book, Frozen, Cinderella and Brave. I was glad that I found a Cinderella with a slip cover. But I guess the point is moot considering the Target plastic cases kind of "crush" the slip covers. :/

overcast

Grabbed Peter Pan! Came out to 14, great deal.

If it runs through the end of the week (I believe it does?) I'll probably end up grabbing Little Mermaid, Jungle Book, or Cinderella on Friday.

Bii

Grabbed Peter Pan! Came out to 14, great deal.

If it runs through the end of the week (I believe it does?) I'll probably end up grabbing Little Mermaid, Jungle Book, or Cinderella on Friday.

Last day to purchase it at $13 would be this Saturday, 4/19/14. I'm considering going back to grab Monsters University and Wreck-It-Ralph, titles I've watched plenty of times but do not own.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I have an extra Princess and the Frog Blu-Ray DMR code (note: not an extra digital copy code). The reason I have the extra code is because I got a PatF DMR code off a friend a long time ago, and just bought the Blu-Ray today.

Looking to trade for a Tangled, PInocchio, Dumbo, or Enchanted Blu-Ray DMR code--I own all of these but do not have DMR codes for them.

Last day to purchase it at $13 would be this Saturday, 4/19/14. I'm considering going back to grab Monsters University and Wreck-It-Ralph, titles I've watched plenty of times but do not own.
People on Bluray.com said Target corporate sent stuff to stores saying the pricing was a mistake and Bluray versions are to be back at normal price.

overcast

People on Bluray.com said Target corporate sent stuff to stores saying the pricing was a mistake and Bluray versions are to be back at normal price.
Went today, prices are back up to 30 dollars for Blu Rays. Same movies are all 13 on DVD. Damn, at least I made out with Peter Pan right before it is vaulted, really wanted Mermaid at that price.

Going to count that as a victory though.

Bii

Why on God's green earth is Sword in the Stone $40

That price is from a third-party seller on Amazon. Amazon's price is $14.99 but they are currently out of stock. Though you can still lock in the price at $14.99 by placing an order from Amazon (and not the third-party seller) now and they're expected to restock within the next week or two.

That price is from a third-party seller on Amazon. Amazon's price is $14.99 but they are currently out of stock. Though you can still lock in the price at $14.99 by placing an order from Amazon (and not the third-party seller) now and they're expected to restock within the next week or two.

Ah, thanks for the explanation!

Shoot, I was hoping they're OOPing it to make room for a proper remaster

*Hopeful laughter that degrades into sobbing*

From http://www.thedigitalbits.com

And here’s something Rumor Mill worthy... the Disney Wiki has listed street dates for upcoming Disney Diamond Edition Blu-ray animated titles, including
  • Sleeping Beauty (10/2)
  • 101 Dalmatians (2/3/15)
  • Aladdin (10/6/15)
  • Pinocchio (2/2/16)
The very same Wiki has also listed the following additional BD releases for this year:

• Muppets Most Wanted (June)
  • Hercules (6/10), Tarzan (6/10)
  • A Goofy Movie & An Extremely Goofy Movie (2-Movie Collection – 6/24)
  • Mickey, Donald and Goofy: The Three Musketeers (Summer)
  • The Black Cauldron: Special Edition (8/19)
  • Bears (8/26), Fun and Fancy Free (9/30),
  • The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (9/30)
  • Saludos Amigos & The Three Caballeros (2-Movie Collection – 12/2)
  • Make Mine Music & Melody Time (2-Movie Collection – 12/2)
  • Planes: Fire & Rescue (12/9)
Salt this information appropriately, but still... these dates make sense. Thanks to Bits reader Bill M. for the heads-up.

Aladdin over a year from now?!?!

ALL I WANT IS ALADDIN ON BLU, C'MON!

Edit: Oh was it released already? I know Pinocchio was but its on that list

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Aladdin over a year from now?!?!

ALL I WANT IS ALADDIN ON BLU, C'MON!

Edit: Oh was it released already? I know Pinocchio was but its on that list

Pinocchio is the only thing on that list that would be a US re-release. And it makes sense that it'd be unvaulted at some point, given that Sleeping Beauty is being re-released this year and Pinocchio's last release as a Platinum release, not a Diamond release, so it'd be next on the list for a re-release anyway. Aladdin is released in Europe but not the US (the OP has the full list of US releases among mainline WDAS films)

Pinocchio is the only thing on that list that would be a US re-release. And it makes sense that it'd be unvaulted at some point, given that Sleeping Beauty is being re-released this year and Pinocchio's last release as a Platinum release, not a Diamond release, so it'd be next on the list for a re-release anyway. Aladdin is released in Europe but not the US (the OP has the full list of US releases among mainline WDAS films)

Is there a reason movies like Hercules and Aladdin don't have a US BD release? Or Disney just has other priorities?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is there a reason movies like Hercules and Aladdin don't have a US BD release? Or Disney just has other priorities?

Aladdin: Disney considers it a major title and only releases two of those a year. It does extra work on bonus features and gives the films a little bit of extra space in terms of marketing.

Hercules: Disney hasn't got to it yet *shrugs*

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
They are taking so damn long with these. I just want at LEAST Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.

We won't get Spirited Away this year, but, providing Disney hasn't abandoned the Ghibli blu rays altogether, I'd wager that we'll get Mononoke this year, along with The Wind Rises and maybe even Porco Rosso too since it's another Miyazaki aviation themed movie.

overcast

We won't get Spirited Away this year, but, providing Disney hasn't abandoned the Ghibli blu rays altogether, I'd wager that we'll get Mononoke this year, along with The Wind Rises and maybe even Porco Rosso too since it's another Miyazaki aviation themed movie.
What makes you say that? I have never seen Porco Rosso, and I'm kind of holding out on a Blu Ray release to watch it for the first time. Might just buy it on DVD otherwise.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
What makes you say that? I have never seen Porco Rosso, and I'm kind of holding out on a Blu Ray release to watch it for the first time. Might just buy it on DVD otherwise.

We're definitely getting The Wind Rises this year since Disney released it late last year/early this year theatrically. If it follows their typical theatrical-to-bluray release schedule, we should be getting it in a few months.

Disney's Ghibli release schedule:

2010:
Ponyo

2011:
Nausicaa

2012:
Castle in the Sky
Whisper of the Heart
Arrietty

2013:
Totoro
Howl's Moving Castle

Lately they've released two legacy titles per year, not counting the new releases such as Arrietty. (I'm assuming that The Wind Rises won't count either)

So that leaves two more for this year, and in terms of the remaining unreleased Ghibli titles, there are really only two "big" ones left: Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away. The Spirited Away blu ray isn't even out in Japan yet, so there's no way we're getting it this year but Princess Mononoke has been out since last year in Japan and the UK is getting it this year, and since I figure that Disney will want to release at least one major legacy title this year, I'm assuming that that title will be Princess Mononoke. (Fake Edit: after looking through the internet, there seems to be a consensus that Ghibli won't allow their films to be released on blu ray in the US within a year of their Japanese releases, and since Mononoke came out in early December of last year in Japan, we might not get it this year after all.)

I think it's safe to say that Disney will never release Only Yesterday, Pom Poko, or Ocean Waves in the US and I have serious doubts about My Neighbors the Yamadas and Tales from Earthsea as well. That just leaves:

Kiki's Delivery Service
Porco Rosso
The Cat Returns
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away

I'm thinking that Porco would be the likeliest of those since it has an aviation theme (to go along with The Wind Rises). And if we don't get Princess Mononoke this year, I guess its slot would go to either Kiki or Cat.

I don't really know though, I'm just speculating. :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The Miyazaki Lupin III movie (Castle of Cagliostro) is getting a US release this year, but not from Disney. It's from... uh... the people doing the CyberSix DVD release... Discotek, that's it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The Miyazaki Lupin III movie (Castle of Cagliostro) is getting a US release this year, but not from Disney. It's from... uh... the people doing the CyberSix DVD release... Discotek, that's it.

A few of their other pre Ghibli titles are also getting US releases from Discotek later this year: Sherlock Hound and Horus Prince of the Sun.

johnsmith

remember me
Ugh, forgot to decline Thor 2 on the Disney movie club and now I'm getting that god awful movie.

This completes my commitment, 84.70 for 9 movies, but Thor is 3D, and you can usually sell just the 3D discs on ebay for $10-15 bucks, so maybe it's not all bad.

johnsmith

remember me
I believe you can return the film even if you've failed to decline it. Not sure if that's worth the hassle for you.

Hmm. Do you have to pay return shipping? I might just keep it to fulfill my commitment so I can cancel. I just looked on the website and there's probably already enough movies out to sign up again.

overcast

Can you guys explain the basics Disney Movie club?

Do I get mail sent to my house if I sign up? Do I have to cancel, or when it's fulfilled it's over?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Disney's The Three Musketeers: Mickey, Donald, and Goofy
August 12, 2014
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00K5ZXKTS/

Amazon Canada also lists Tarzan for August 12, 2014:
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00K5ZXIZY/

Amazon Canada also lists Hercules for August 12, 2014:
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00K5ZXJFI/

Disney Movie Club has Hercules and Tarzan as next month's selection as well, so that's a great way to fulfill your commitment.

In addition, D23 is having a Vault screening of Ichabod and Mr. Toad on September 13th, so expect a fall release for that.

Finally, there's going to be a series of limited edition soundtrack re-releases starting with The Lion King
http://disneymusicemporium.com/
Given that Sleeping Beauty is on this list for this fall at the same time as the blu-ray re-release, it seems possible that Pinocchio's album release (Feb 2015) might coincide with Pinocchio being next spring's Diamond Edition.

overcast

Disney Movie Club has Hercules and Tarzan as next month's selection as well, so that's a great way to fulfill your commitment.
Great news. Which of these aged better in your minds? I will grab one of these and (presumably) Sleeping Beauty when that is a selection later this year. Will complete it then.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Also on Amazon.ca:
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00K5ZXKFM/
August 12, 2014 as well.

Great news. Which of these aged better in your minds? I will grab one of these and (presumably) Sleeping Beauty when that is a selection later this year. Will complete it then.

Hercules is, I think, a pretty interesting film that holds together well with a great performance by James Woods. The soundtrack is by Michael Bolton, I like a few of the tracks.

Tarzan to me is quite a limited film whose only real interesting sequence is CG tree-surfing and I'm not confident that has aged well as a lot of the CG-heavy sequences from that era didn't. I was stunned when I rewatched Atlantis, which was a few years later, how poor a lot of the CG looked in my opinion.; in addition, I was disappointed with Phil Collins' soundtrack. Disney apparently wasn't, because they brought him back for Brother Bear, which I also think was a weak film with a weak soundtrack.

If you only have to get one, for me that one should be Hercules. On the other hand, Tarzan grossed significantly higher at the box-office and I understand that a lot of people like it. So this is just my opinion. I'd personally place both of the above films in the lower end of Disney's 1990s output.

Christopher

Disney's The Three Musketeers: Mickey, Donald, and Goofy
August 12, 2014
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00K5ZXKTS/

Amazon Canada also lists Tarzan for August 12, 2014:
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00K5ZXIZY/

Amazon Canada also lists Hercules for August 12, 2014:
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00K5ZXJFI/

In addition, D23 is having a Vault screening of Ichabod and Mr. Toad on September 13th, so expect a fall release for that.

Finally, there's going to be a series of limited edition soundtrack re-releases starting with The Lion King
http://disneymusicemporium.com/
Given that Sleeping Beauty is on this list for this fall at the same time as the blu-ray re-release, it seems possible that Pinocchio's album release (Feb 2015) might coincide with Pinocchio being next spring's Diamond Edition.

Pinnochio before Dalmatians??? Wtf

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pinnochio before Dalmatians??? Wtf

Well, I mean, 101 Dalmatians doesn't have a soundtrack (there's not enough songs for a single, even--it's one of the least musical Disney animated classics) so if they were going to do both at or around the same time, we wouldn't know from this.

But to me the timing is suspicious enough that I can't see why they'd re-release the Pinnocchio soundtrack if they weren't planning something else around the same time.

Top Bottom