• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Disney Blu-ray Thread: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Vault

Christopher

Well, I mean, 101 Dalmatians doesn't have a soundtrack (there's not enough songs for a single, even--it's one of the least musical Disney animated classics) so if they were going to do both at or around the same time, we wouldn't know from this.

But to me the timing is suspicious enough that I can't see why they'd re-release the Pinnocchio soundtrack if they weren't planning something else around the same time.

Eh I dunno I don't think so when I see the release schedule for the entire collection.

Dalamtioms Aladdin need to come out then I guess were going to snow again after punnochuo?

Christopher

7712_medium.jpg
44744_medium.jpg
103189_medium.jpg
103180_medium.jpg

Upcoming Disney Catalog Titles

Posted May 9, 2014 04:54 PM by Webmaster

Walt Disney StudiosWalt Disney Home Entertainment will add four titles to its Blu-ray catalog in August: Chris Buck and Kevin Lima's Tarzan (1999), Ron Clements and John Musker's Hercules (1997), James Algar, Clyde Geronimi and Jack Kinney's The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (1949), and Mickey, Donald, Goofy: The Three Musketeers (2004). The four Blu-ray releases are available for pre-order at Amazon.

Tarzan

Wild with exotic adventure and laughs, Disney's Tarzan is a magnificent adaptation of Edgar Rice Burroughs' classic story of the ape man! Raised by a family of gorillas, including the loving Kala and the wisecracking Terk, Tarzan develops all the instincts and prowess of a jungle animal. But with the sudden appearance of Tarzan's own kind, including the beautiful Jane, two very different worlds are about to become one. Driven by five powerful songs from pop superstar Phil Collins, and starring the voice talents of Minnie Driver, Glenn Close and Rosie O'Donnell, Disney's Tarzan delivers incredible adventure as well as important reminders about acceptance and family. STREET DATE: AUGUST 12TH.

Hercules

Taken from the gods as a newborn, adopted on earth, Hercules becomes an awkward teenage pillar of strength. Trying to fit in, he discovers Zeus is his dad and home is on Mount Olympus - if he can move from "zero" to true hero! Hercules teams with Pegasus, the flying stallion, and Phil - a feisty personal trainer - for the mission. But it's no walk on Acropolis. He must match wits with Grecian beauty Meg and a comical hothead named Hades, who's having a devil of a time with his hostile takeover of the Universe. He's armed with morphing morons Pain and Panic for help, and only Hercules stands in his way! STREET DATE: AUGUST 12TH.

The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad

In the tradition of grand animated classics, Disney's 11th animated masterpiece, The Adventures Of Ichabod And Mr. Toad, presents two unforgettable children's classics. Through award winning Disney animation wizardry, The Wind In The Willows and The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow come together in one fabulous adventure - in its original theatrical format. Hang on for the wild motorcar ride of J. Thaddeus Toad as he drives his friends Mole, Rat and Angus McBadger into a worried frenzy! Then meet the spindly Ichabod Crane, who dreams of sweeping beautiful Katrina Van Tassel off her feet, despite opposition from town bully Brom Bones, who also has his eye on Katrina. The comic rivalry introduces Ichabod to the legend of the Headless Horseman, resulting in a heart-thumping climax! Wonderfully narrated by Basil Rathbone and Bing Crosby, The Adventures Of Ichabod And Mr. Toad brims with high-spirited adventure, brilliant animation and captivating music you'll want to share with your family again and again. STREET DATE: AUGUST 12TH.

Mickey, Donald, Goofy: The Three Musketeers

Celebrate the 10th anniversary of Disney's swashbuckling adventure, Mickey, Donald, Goofy: The Three Musketeers, presented for the first time ever in a dazzling new Blu-ray Special Edition! Join Mickey and all your favorite Disney characters in this outrageously funny take on the timeless tale. Best buddies Mickey, Donald and Goofy are small-time janitors with big dreams of becoming Musketeers. They may not look like heroes, but, powered by teamwork and friendship, they soon discover they can accomplish anything if they work together. Packed with six rousing songs and now fully-restored with new and classic bonus features, this heartwarming famiy film is better than ever on Disney Blu-ray. It's "All For Fun And Fun For All!". STREET DATE: AUGUST 12TH.

Leeness

Will buy all, be poor. :(

My animation teacher worked on Three Musketeers :) I can't remember but I think he supervised Mickey animation and his wife worked on Minnie.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
3 Musketeers isn't amazing and I'd kinda rather that it be bundled with The Prince and the Pauper... or they could have just not released Mickey's Christmas Carol as a stand-alone blu-ray holy crap... but from my distant memory I think it's worth a watch.

----
Edit: The Amazon description for the 3-disc edition of Ichabod and Mr Toad says:
Experience two classic Disney masterpieces, THE ADVENTURES OF ICHABOD AND MR. TOAD and FUN AND FANCY FREE for the very first time on Blu-ray and Digital HD.

Special Features
"The Reluctant Dragon"

So you actually get two of the six package films, and The Reluctant Dragon, which is a full-length-ish Disney film that combines a studio tour of Walt Disney in the 40s with an animated segment. Very cool, great value.

Magnus

Hercules finally! Yay!!

Just need Aladdin and the golden era of the '90s will be complete for me.

Got the DVD in the meantime, which still manages to look fantastic up scaled.

Dead

well not really...yet
Kinda mad that we get Hercules and Tarzan as stand alone blu-rays, yet Brother Bear, Notre Dame and Pocahontas got stuck in dumb-ass two packs with sequels.

Son Of D

For those in the UK (or those who import from UK) who collects the steelbook editions, Zavvi just released the artwork for the next 3 Disney Blu-Ray steelbooks: Pinocchio, Hercules and Mulan. All released on the 4th of June. The pre-orders aren't live yet so don't think they're sold out.

Definitely going to go for Mulan out of these and might get Pinocchio if my budget allows for it.
Still waiting on Great Mouse Detective in the UK. Whether it's regular casing or steelbook. :(

I honestly didn't think those would ever come out in a Blu set. So bought. I'm kind of assuming that means no more shorts though.

There's at least one more "full length" TST coming out, isn't there? a 'spring' one? Dunno about theatrical shorts though. They're still cranking out Cars Toons though so I wouldn't be surprised.

Edit: Just looked, there is one more, "The Toy Story That Time Forgot" coming out this year around Christmas time.

3Experience two classic Disney masterpieces, THE ADVENTURES OF ICHABOD AND MR. TOAD and FUN AND FANCY FREE for the very first time on Blu-ray and Digital HD.

Special Features
"The Reluctant Dragon"

So you actually get two of the six package films, and The Reluctant Dragon, which is a full-length-ish Disney film that combines a studio tour of Walt Disney in the 40s with an animated segment. Very cool, great value.

can somebody confirm me that this set is going to be Zone free? I'm from Italy and I'm quite interested in it and I'm pretty sure it's never going to see the light of the day here, so I would import if I can watch it with no problem on my EU Ps3

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Here's the cover for the 3-disc Ichabod and Mr Toad / Fun and Fancy Free blu-ray (also including the Reluctant Dragon), according to some random blu-ray.com poster

9YPk0sL.jpg

Leeness

Also, yas at the Brother Bear positivity in here. I love that movie. Transformation is suuuch a good scene and it gets me teary every time near the end.

Christopher

292x250_TarzanHercules.jpg
C714_240x250_TarzanHercules_BD_DVD.png

Disney Movie Club members only get it a month early if anyone wants I just want the digital copy I'll send you both for 20 + shipping.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Watching Home on the Range today and holy crap, the transfer is bad. The whole film is done with a thin, pencil-work style with a mix of swoopy curves and sharp angles--and there's incredibly bad aliasing visible in pretty much every shot. You also get some shimmering on the lines too because of how thin the lines are. The colours are fine because the shading is pretty flat and it's a very colourful film, but man those lines. That aliasing. I think this is probably the worst Disney transfer I've seen (I haven't bought Sword in the Stone yet!)

By contrast, watched Princess and the Frog a few days ago and it's got a stunning transfer.

cory64

Watching Home on the Range today and holy crap, the transfer is bad. The whole film is done with a thin, pencil-work style with a mix of swoopy curves and sharp angles--and there's incredibly bad aliasing visible in pretty much every shot. You also get some shimmering on the lines too because of how thin the lines are. The colours are fine because the shading is pretty flat and it's a very colourful film, but man those lines. That aliasing. I think this is probably the worst Disney transfer I've seen (I haven't bought Sword in the Stone yet!)

By contrast, watched Princess and the Frog a few days ago and it's got a stunning transfer.
Oh yeah I read about that a while back. No movie deserves that.

Disney has no idea what they're doing with home video distribution anymore, and it's kind of pathetic. It's like they're in some kind of panic mode, causing them to half-way everything.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Disney has no idea what they're doing with home video distribution anymore, and it's kind of pathetic. It's like they're in some kind of panic mode, causing them to half-way everything.

Well Home on the Range is a really old transfer so I don't really think that's something to hold against them today...

But I think the biggest challenge today, in 2014, is that no one is buying physical media. It's in free-fall. And it's becoming increasingly hit-concentrated. Same challenge is facing digital media that are ownership-based instead of streaming, hence the iTunes sales slowdown. People want access to media, but they don't really care if they own. They want high quality, but HD streaming is considered high quality. That's true for every company releasing Blus. TV-on-DVD and TV-on-Blu are also way down. 3D Blu never took off. So then it sort of becomes, how do you make this work? If you're selling to a shrinking audience of diehards, then you both sell at a premium price (well, Disney's price is already the highest in the industry) and you lower your cost of production (fewer special features, less money spent doing digital remastering, use the same 4K transfer you used for the DVD). It also doesn't help that the vault model has effectively been ended, so their capacity to extract income from re-releases is limited now.

What could really help Disney is if they were willing to license titles externally. There are small, agile companies who can do high-margin low-volume releases that Disney can't. Like, Amazon has CreateSpace. Why isn't Disney using CreateSpace to sell the remaining seasons of its 80s and 90s TV cartoons? Why not investigate a company like Mill Creek to do a release of some of the earlier live-action films?

Personally I'm not too worried because I think the last few films we're waiting for will make it out and then we don't need to think about it anymore. I expect the package films to make it out given that Ichabod / Fun and Fancy are dated. I do worry about stuff like DuckTales The Movie, Brave Little Toaster, A Goofy Movie, and stuff that didn't even get a DVD release like Song of the South or Victory Through Air Power or rights hell products like Doug's 1st Movie.

Kinda mad that we get Hercules and Tarzan as stand alone blu-rays, yet Brother Bear, Notre Dame and Pocahontas got stuck in dumb-ass two packs with sequels.
At least Hunchback's cover art wasn't fuglied up to promote the sequel.

hunchback-blu.jpg

Although I could do without the gargoyles.

Stumpakapow said:
Personally I'm not too worried because I think the last few films we're waiting for will make it out and then we don't need to think about it anymore. I expect the package films to make it out given that Ichabod / Fun and Fancy are dated. I do worry about stuff like DuckTales The Movie, Brave Little Toaster, A Goofy Movie, and stuff that didn't even get a DVD release like Song of the South or Victory Through Air Power or rights hell products like Doug's 1st Movie.
Goofy Movie is getting a 2-pack release with its sequel. It was on a release list that leaked the Summer blu-rays (Hercules, Tarzan, Ichabod, Musketeers, Bedknobs).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Goofy Movie is getting a 2-pack release with its sequel. It was on a release list that leaked the Summer blu-rays (Hercules, Tarzan, Ichabod, Musketeers, Bedknobs).

That list is probably false, and none of the dates were correct on it. Hercules, Tarzan, and Black Cauldron all got Disney official art before that list was posted, and Musketeers got a D23 screening scheduled before the list. It's possibly still true, but with many errors.

Hercules (6/10), Tarzan (6/10)
A Goofy Movie & An Extremely Goofy Movie (2-Movie Collection – 6/24)
Mickey, Donald and Goofy: The Three Musketeers (Summer)
The Black Cauldron: Special Edition (8/19)
Bears (8/26), Fun and Fancy Free (9/30),
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (9/30)
Saludos Amigos & The Three Caballeros (2-Movie Collection – 12/2)
Make Mine Music & Melody Time (2-Movie Collection – 12/2)
Planes: Fire & Rescue (12/9)

Hercules isn't 6/10, Tarzan isn't 6/10, A Goofy Movie/Extremely Goofy Movie isn't 6/24, the list does not correctly identify that Ichabod and Mr Toad and Fun and Fancy Free were in a two-pack (and they're not 9/30), and while a bunch of stuff is coming out mid-August, the Black Cauldron still hasn't been announced.

It now seems to me that the list in question was just informed speculation on the part of a fan. Disney Wiki promptly removed all of it within days of it being added as well, so presumably whoever followed up with the guy who added it wasn't convinced.

What's the current code to get the super mega secret deluxe deal on Disney Movie Club? They have like, every BluRay that I've missed (Little Mermaid, Lilo & Stitch, Robin Hood, Sword in the Stone, Oliver & Company, Mulan, OG Winnie the Pooh, Brother Bear, Emperor's New Groove, Mary Poppins, Jungle Book, holy shit I might have to sign up twice) so now is the perfect time for me to sign up.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What's the current code to get the super mega secret deluxe deal on Disney Movie Club? They have like, every BluRay that I've missed (Little Mermaid, Lilo & Stitch, Robin Hood, Sword in the Stone, Oliver & Company, Mulan, OG Winnie the Pooh, Brother Bear, Emperor's New Groove, Mary Poppins, Jungle Book, holy shit I might have to sign up twice) so now is the perfect time for me to sign up.

Assuming you're in the US, 28563 gives you:
- 5 Blu-rays for $0.20 each
- 1 Blu-ray for $11.95
- 1 Blu-ray for $8.95
- 2 Blu-rays at full price over the next two years
- A Mickey Mouse Blanket (10042B is an alternate code that gives you the same deal on the movies and no blanket).

All of the films you've listed are eligible for your sign-up films, but personally I would avoid The Little Mermaid for sign-up, since only the 2D Blu+DVD is available for signup, not the Blu+DVD+Digital Copy or the 3D version. Make sure you order versions that say Blu+DVD not DVD+Blu, the latter contain the same content but come in a DVD case.

Assuming you're in the US, 28563 gives you:
- 5 Blu-rays for $0.20 each
- 1 Blu-ray for $11.95
- 1 Blu-ray for $8.95
- 2 Blu-rays at full price over the next two years
- A Mickey Mouse Blanket (10042B is an alternate code that gives you the same deal on the movies and no blanket).

All of the films you've listed are eligible for your sign-up films, but personally I would avoid The Little Mermaid for sign-up, since only the 2D Blu+DVD is available for signup, not the Blu+DVD+Digital Copy or the 3D version. Make sure you order versions that say Blu+DVD not DVD+Blu, the latter contain the same content but come in a DVD case.

Thank you!! I actually would prefer the standard 2D release of Little Mermaid, I don't have a 3D TV yet and LM is not one of the movies I'm anxious to see in 3D. Unless the 3D version has other bonus features the 2D one doesn't?

Edit: Screw it I just pulled the trigger. So my picks were Little Mermaid, Jungle Book, Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Sword in the Stone, Robin Hood, Emperor's New Groove, and Lilo & Stitch.

So over the next 2 years I just have to get 2 more right? Should be mind-numbingly simple, Aladdin and 101 Dalmatians will do it for me since I apparently missed Hercules and Tarzan. Or if those take too long there's always Pixar movies to consider.

Next wave will be Mary Poppins, Atlantis, Brother Bear, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Oliver & Company, and hopefully by then Hercules and Tarzan will be available.

Damn, all these movies for, what, about $80? This is insane. Why would anyone NOT sign up for this?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So over the next 2 years I just have to get 2 more right? Should be mind-numbingly simple, Aladdin and 101 Dalmatians will do it for me since I apparently missed Hercules and Tarzan. Or if those take too long there's always Pixar movies to consider.

You can either get two more new releases if you'd like, or you once your membership is activated you can log in and buy any two full-price titles and it'll count (so you could still do Hercules and Tarzan, albeit for a few dollars more than the featured offer)

Damn, all these movies for, what, about $80? This is insane. Why would anyone NOT sign up for this?

With shipping it's about $90 for 9 movies. I think the reason why more people don't do it is in part because of past negative experiences with stuff like Columbia House--it's way easier to do a program like this in 2014 because you can decline the featured title online and cancel with relatively little hassle--and in part because most people don't get 9 movies for $90, they get a worse up-front offer and a longer commitment. I suspect Disney also makes quite a lot of money off oafs who don't decline the featured offers. You'll fine that the featured offers are good a few times a year, but mostly just garbage they're trying to hawk (John Carter of Mars; SuperDogz 4: Doggy Dog World; DTV stuff). You should make sure to decline those. Unless you want crap.

Personally I got great value out of my membership. I'll do another batch in a few months to knock out the last five or six of the Disney animated films that I don't yet own and start working on The Muppets and Ghibli. If you're going to buy Disney blus, this is the way to do it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
where's my 2014 ghibli titles disney :(

US Targets have end-cap advertising saying Kiki's is being released on Blu July 22nd, no one seems to know if that's legitimate or an error, nor is it clear if Disney is doing the release or someone else, but there you have it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
US Targets have end-cap advertising saying Kiki's is being released on Blu July 22nd, no one seems to know if that's legitimate or an error, nor is it clear if Disney is doing the release or someone else, but there you have it.

That's interesting (and exciting - I love Kiki and have been hoping that it would be one of the next batch of titles). If it is true, then I imagine we should be getting a press release pretty soon. I wonder if they're releasing it by itself or if they're going to release another title alongside it like they usually do? (Porco Rosso please)

Christopher

Thank you!! I actually would prefer the standard 2D release of Little Mermaid, I don't have a 3D TV yet and LM is not one of the movies I'm anxious to see in 3D. Unless the 3D version has other bonus features the 2D one doesn't?

Edit: Screw it I just pulled the trigger. So my picks were Little Mermaid, Jungle Book, Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Sword in the Stone, Robin Hood, Emperor's New Groove, and Lilo & Stitch.

Next wave will be Mary Poppins, Atlantis, Brother Bear, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Oliver & Company, and hopefully by then Hercules and Tarzan will be available.

I love it.

I usually just take the digital copies and send people the blu rsy physical copies for dirt cheap

A little late to this, but I'd recommend buying your two commitment titles when the movie club does a buy 2, get 1 free sale. That is the best bargain I've seen that still fulfills both commitments.

johnsmith

remember me
The disney movie club is starting to pull some shady shit. Just noticed a charge on my CC for a muppets thing that they never even emailed me about and never saw on their website. Sending out multiple offers you need to decline in the same month is bs. I should have cancelled after the thor mess last month. So if anybody is signed up, keep an eye out before they get you.

At least they expanded their CS hours and was able to cancel my account without having to remember to call during the day.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The disney movie club is starting to pull some shady shit. Just noticed a charge on my CC for a muppets thing that they never even emailed me about and never saw on their website. Sending out multiple offers you need to decline in the same month is bs. I should have cancelled after the thor mess last month. So if anybody is signed up, keep an eye out before they get you.

As they note in the sign-up, it's 13 a year (one every four weeks); they also typically send you a physical mailer along with the email reminder. But even if you get charged for it, you can still return the product and get a refund. Of course, if you've completed your commitment, there's no reason not to cancel. If you don't want to be a member, you'll have one fewer thing to decline every month, and if you do want to be a member, there's no reason not to take advantage of the signup again instead of floating by as a member.

johnsmith

remember me
It seems like they've been doing 2 a month all year. Plus i was just on the website a couple of weeks ago when I declined Tarzan and there was no mention of this muppets thing.

Top Bottom