• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how many weapons are in destiny?
I wonder if there will be less, since is not technically speaking fantasy, and they cant make up weapons ( or can they?)

Could always throw in experimental/development prototypes/concepts. It's not unheard of for Clancy titles, with Ghost Recon being chief among them.

So long as it exists in one form or another out there and fits the universe, it's fair game.

Axial

let's hope its not the typical open world Ubi-bloat mission design philosophy
Pretty much this just by looking at all the little colored location markers in that gif. You can tell that the PvE side of the game presented in the beta is just that, multiplied a couple of times and spread over the whole map in the full games release. Main missions, side missions to max out your base of operations, random encounters, echoes, collectible stuff, crafting material locations, etc. and you'll get the whole idea. I don't consider this to be a bad thing though, there was enough variety in these little side activities to keep me busy for hours and make the combat even more satisfying. Some games get it right, some don't... The Division seems to do alot right in regards to this type of content and design philosophy. It all comes together quite nicely thanks to the whole setting, very detailed environments, streamlined controls, UI and how the dynamic weather and lighting can affect your experience. Many people love the PvP aspect of going rogue inside the DZ, fine by me, but for me personaly, the moments I had the most fun and immersion was the seamless exploration of this beatifully rendered representation of a ravaged NYC. Just me, my guns, the city, some baddies and a whole lot to explore... preferably during nighttime while engulfed in a massive snowstorm for dat extra ambience and atmosphere.

I know I bitched and moaned alot about the DZ before giving it a try, I do understand now why that tense DZ PvP gameplay is so appealing to a certain crowd of players, and there's definately alot of fun to be had in the DZ once some people realize that being a good sport is actually more beneficial to the whole experience than going in full rogue. The most fun I had in the DZ was going in alone, looking for random encounters like groups of people engaged in combat with high level mobs, helping them out and also securing their extractions afterwards. It's in these moments where the DZ made the most sense to me.

Tovarisc

I wonder if there will be less, since is not technically speaking fantasy, and they cant make up weapons ( or can they?)

Destiny doesn't have that many weapons that are end game viable, especially with Bungie loving idea of balancing game into favor of certain weapons. For e.g. longest time before Taken King dropped you wanted Thorn or Hawkmoon, or you just could forget about playing PvP competitively against people with those.

Destiny has quite a few weapons / archetype, but model and function variety is very low with 1-2 / archetype being clearly best.

Division devs can't make up sci-fi weapons like railguns or lazer rifles.

Pretty much this just by looking at all the little colored location markers in that gif. You can tell that the PvE side of the game presented in the beta is just that, multiplied a couple of times and spread over the whole map in the full games release. Main missions, side missions to max out your base of operations, random encounters, echoes, collectible stuff, crafting material locations, etc. and you'll get the whole idea. I don't consider this to be a bad thing though, there was enough variety in these little side activities to keep me busy for hours and make the combat even more satisfying. Some games get it right, some don't... The Division seems to do alot right in regards to this type of content and design philosophy. It all comes together quite nicely thanks to the whole setting, very detailed environments, streamlined controls, UI and how the dynamic weather and lighting can affect your experience. Many people love the PvP aspect of going rogue inside the DZ, fine by me, but for me personaly, the moments I had the most fun and immersion was the seamless exploration of this beatifully rendered representation of a ravaged NYC. Just me, my guns, the city, some baddies and a whole lot to explore... preferably during nighttime while engulfed in a massive snowstorm for dat extra ambience and atmosphere.

I know I bitched and moaned alot about the DZ before giving it a try, I do understand now why that tense DZ PvP gameplay is so appealing to a certain crowd of players, and there's definately alot of fun to be had in the DZ once some people realize that being a good sport is actually more beneficial to the whole experience than going in full rogue. The most fun I had in the DZ was going in alone, looking for random encounters like groups of people engaged in combat with high level mobs, helping them out and also securing their extractions afterwards. It's in these moments where the DZ made the most sense to me.

An that's why full release of the DZ will be far better all 6 zones (excluding whatever the other mode is). Since it spreads 24 players, sp people won't be stuck in one area in constant pvp almost all the time. I'm sure massive wants players to also engage with the mobs. Not baring the Beta because that was catered towards testing the load and getting data on the pvp aspect.

No, but they could do what CoD does and invent plausible non-existing firearms based on current and previous ones. You could invent and come up with a HUGE amount of realistic weapons. There are also loads of "custom" firearms out there from small shops (and large ones too) that could be included.

Like the .50 cal Beowulf AR for instance... give it to me now!

DSC00348-1.jpg

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So have we heard anything about the clan system yet?

They mentioned it a good while ago I believe and said clans wouldn't have limits etc, but I don't think they've said anything since and they wasn't any hints to a system in the menus that weren't locked in the betas.

Zom

Banned
Destiny doesn't have that many weapons that are end game viable, especially with Bungie loving idea of balancing game into favor of certain weapons. For e.g. longest time before Taken King dropped you wanted Thorn or Hawkmoon, or you just could forget about playing PvP competitively against people with those.

Destiny has quite a few weapons / archetype, but model and function variety is very low with 1-2 / archetype being clearly best.

Currently there are 787 weapons: https://www.bungie.net/en/armory/Category?categories=1

Also I agree with Tovarisc's point.
Jeeeesus, well I hope for less weapons but a lot more than 10 that are actually usefull.

They could always add prototype weapons that never hit the market like the XM8. Would be cool to see that gun be in the game and be able to switch it from SMG to ARto LMG. Would be a good candidate for a legendary weapon.

So have we heard anything about the clan system yet?

They mentioned it a good while ago I believe and said clans wouldn't have limits etc, but I don't think they've said anything since and they wasn't any hints to a system in the menus that weren't locked in the betas.

Pretty sure that's been put on the back burner. Case in point if you heard anything in their first few rounds for the game. You should forget about it for the most part.

Unless they recant and bring it back up again. Which I'm sure they will at some point, would be odd not to have it in. Either why its obvious that Massive scaled this game down, because it was a bigger game two years ago it seems and they were basing more then a few features on that fact. Before the delays of course and then Ubisoft stepped in and said "We have to ship a game here".

Matter of fact it i think they did pretty much recreate new york, the map it self seems to be more modeled then what we really see. An they took a lot of pieces away.

(Outside the "full" playable zone you can see street names and such)

Tovarisc

They could always add prototype weapons that never hit the market like the XM8. Would be cool to see that gun be in the game and be able to switch it from SMG to ARto LMG. Would be a good candidate for a legendary weapon.

XM8 was such great weapon in Bad Company 2!

I need to start trying weapons when I get them

Just like in CoD MP, I never even try using anything that isn't an assault rifle, sniper rifle or shotgun. Ended up using an M4 for the entire beta.

Tovarisc

I need to start trying weapons when I get them

Just like in CoD MP, I never even try using anything that isn't an assault rifle, sniper rifle or shotgun. Ended up using an M4 for the entire beta.

Vector was quite a bit fun, not fastest SMG in the city yet hit like truck with those multiple and regular crits.
400px-Krisssuperv.jpg

Edit: Joined "Gold Race" right off the bat right after closed beta ended.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
It's a suckers game...

I am a sucker.

I put about 35 hours into the closed and open beta, i'd be a fool if i don't buy this game.

But my PC is around 8 years old so i will buy a new one first and get the game for free with an nvidia graphics card ;)

Nokterian

I heard that watch is actually very high quality, should be very cool :) Looks even decent enough for everyday use, imo.

I watched the unboxing on youtube and yeah the watch isn't like low quality but very high quality indeed with a good frame and very durable.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
One thing I wasn't much of a fan of was the Dark Zone splitting up friends, I would have liked a better way to play with friends of different levels than to just cut them off entirely. If I play for a good few days then I won't be able to play with any new friends getting the game in the Dark Zone until they level up. It would have been silly to have lower levels running around with higher players obviously, but I would have been totally fine with the option to, for instance, level my character down to an average of my friends level or the zones level so I could run around with them.

The Beta didn't have that many levels and half our group was already split up until the rest caught up, it will probably be much worse in the full game when different people have different amounts of time to play.

Pretty sure that's been put on the back burner. Case in point if you heard anything in their first few rounds for the game. You should forget about it for the most part.

Unless they recant and bring it back up again. Which I'm sure they will at some point, would be odd not to have it in. Either why its obvious that Massive scaled this game down, because it was a bigger game two years ago it seems and they were basing more then a few features on that fact. Before the delays of course and then Ubisoft stepped in and said "We have to ship a game here".

Matter of fact it i think they did pretty much recreate new york, the map it self seems to be more modeled then what we really see. An they took a lot of pieces away.

(Outside the "full" playable zone you can see street names and such)

I'm hoping it is one of the menu locked options as I'm not sure it is detailed what the bottom left locked ones actually are in the full game, but I might have missed that info.

I thought the same playing it, looking at the old trailers and around the map we have, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they have the whole of NY to run around in their studio but it just wasn't feasible or as you say would have just taken too long and Ubisoft wanted them to finish it.

Klyka

Banned
This damn engine they created is fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl2ssz8JOaM

One thing I wasn't much of a fan of was the Dark Zone splitting up friends, I would have liked a better way to play with friends of different levels than to just cut them off entirely. If I play for a good few days then I won't be able to play with any new friends getting the game in the Dark Zone until they level up. It would have been silly to have lower levels running around with higher players obviously, but I would have been totally fine with the option to, for instance, level my character down to an average of my friends level or the zones level so I could run around with them.

The Beta didn't have that many levels and half our group was already split up until the rest caught up, it will probably be much worse in the full game when different people have different amounts of time to play.

I think the devs said it is only like that in the beta and in the full game,lower level players can join the higher level buddy brackets but not vice versa.

I'm hoping it is one of the menu locked options as I'm not sure it is detailed what the bottom left locked ones actually are in the full game, but I might have missed that info.

I thought the same playing it, looking at the old trailers and around the map we have, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they have the whole of NY to run around in their studio but it just wasn't feasible or as you say would have just taken too long and Ubisoft wanted them to finish it.

Lower levels actually have the option to join your DZ bracket, that option was also in the beta's. It just wasn't clearly advertised. But I had some low levels join our bracket in both beta's.

damn,double post sorry

You guys even managed a double double post, quite impressive.

If I didn't know any better I would think you guys are trying to secure a position in the next wall of shame.

Hmm i had no idea my uPlay tracked stats for OB, didnt see this during CB
lQETARo.png

Man, more power to you for putting in that time, but I really don't know how you do it!

I doubt I'll put more than 30 or so hours into the FULL game, let alone a beta.

I put in less than 3 hours into the beta because I didn't wanna get burnt out.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Something is going to bother me a lot is that they couldn't bother spending some money to use the actual Empire State building, considering they showed it in other marketing material, and this is probably going to be one of the biggest new IP's ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom