• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archpath1

I don't like how the game handled weapon attachments... I had a list of them, but it wasn't clear which attachment could be used with which gun type, etc...

Other than that, the loot felt satisfying. I can't wait to play more!

March 8, right?

Yea they fixed it for open, it says FITS FOR right by the item stats, and lists your weapons if available

Reckheim

Got a questions for the people that played the game on PC. Recently I heard there were some issues with cheating on the PC version of the game. I have an option of either buying the game on PC (which I would prefer since I can run it really well) but if there is a lot of cheating going on I would rather get it on the PS4.

Question is, do you think that the pc version will be ruined by the cheating, has it occurred often (or at all) for you?

SomTervo

Lore wise: who would drop stuff in A DZ when there is people in need just a few blocks away?

Surely, in theory, there are still people in need somewhere in the Dark Zone? It's only dark in terms of the Division's scanners?

Bulletsponge these days is a negatively loaded word, which is why i dislike it.

The term is "pejorative"

C'mon, I found Destiny lacking content as much as anyone else and I was very critical of the game in both states (beta & release) but let's no get crazy here.

Honestly - that is how I felt playing the Division. I totally get it if you didn't feel that way. But I spent 7 hours with the Division Beta in singleplayer and was hankering for more. By hour 6 of Destiny I was tired of it and had essentially seen everything it could offer (except the Raid which was an insulting amount of grind away). (And I kept playing Destiny for another 10-20 hours in the hopes it would improve but it never did.) I'm not just talking about actual content but gameplay mechanics and simulation/exploration.

Even once I finished all the Div Beta's singleplayer content, I was still content to roam the city and just get in fights with fools, and help randos for more apparel, or explore houses, and dip a little into the Dark Zone, though the fast pace doesn't gel as well with me.

In Destiny, once I finished the missions, I was done with it. There was no appeal. I never went back. The Division is far stronger from a top-down design perspective, I think.

One of the best designed websites I've seen. Works perfectly on mobile too.

I'm battling with responsive design at work for the first time this week D:

Lnkn52

GG Florida

KgDqsFq.png

Tecnniqe

Banned
Thanks, now I have to go watch contagion or Hot Zone or some other Disease apocalypse movie.. oy!
Watched Contagion a week or so ago :|
Got a questions for the people that played the game on PC. Recently I heard there were some issues with cheating on the PC version of the game. I have an option of either buying the game on PC (which I would prefer since I can run it really well) but if there is a lot of cheating going on I would rather get it on the PS4.

Question is, do you think that the pc version will be ruined by the cheating, has it occurred often (or at all) for you?

Cant say i saw anyone during my play time, only time i can think of could be simple glitching to fly high or some desync.

The most offending cheats in the closed beta were fixed for the open beta. The major problem in the open beta was related to how they closed sections of the map off. There was one spot where you could go into the closed off section and then get into an alleyway that was safe. People would go rogue and then run into that alleyway to let the timer go down.

There was also a bug where some people could fly, but I rarely saw it.

Tovarisc

Outside of skywalking glitch that was doable on all platforms I didn't meet single legit cheater on PC during closed nor open beta. One player came across as no recoil user, but it's very hard to prove and he was using M1A anyways so even harder to tell when weapon already is out of balance. I see a lots of people crying wolf and saying everyone cheats, but didn't see proof once. Also a lots of people confused desync caused issues with cheating.

How much there will be cheaters in PC version will depend on how active devs are with maintaining and developing their anti-cheat solutions.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
the M1A will definitely need some balancing after launch. Switch the recoil patterns of the SCAR-H and M1A might just do it.

A real SCAR doesn't have nearly as much recoil as the game portrays. It's an incredibly stable gun.
http://youtu.be/_7fB2-S7sC0

Helznicht

thisisneogaf.gif

It's totally optional, man.

You don't need to log into it or download it if you don't want to.

I get that its optional to buy or not. What we don't know is:

1) After we buy the 2nd expansion if the PvE only environment disappears or if you can select which game type to play.

2) If we can select, can I move a character from one game type to another? Or if we only PvE characters or only PvP characters.

3) The effect on the vanilla PvE + DZ servers after the expansion drops. Do all the aggressive players move on to PvP only game type, leaving PvE players for the DZ on Vanilla, removing the tension, essentially creating seperate PvP servers and PvE servers.

The way they mixed the PvE and PvP is very unique and gives it a special feel, forcing 2 different gamer types into a single experience. Offering an all PvP I fear will make it loose its luster, as the 2 groups of gamers will go their separate ways.

Honestly - that is how I felt playing the Division. I totally get it if you didn't feel that way. But I spent 7 hours with the Division Beta in singleplayer and was hankering for more. By hour 6 of Destiny I was tired of it and had essentially seen everything it could offer (except the Raid which was an insulting amount of grind away). (And I kept playing Destiny for another 10-20 hours in the hopes it would improve but it never did.) I'm not just talking about actual content but gameplay mechanics and simulation/exploration.

Even once I finished all the Div Beta's singleplayer content, I was still content to roam the city and just get in fights with fools, and help randos for more apparel, or explore houses, and dip a little into the Dark Zone, though the fast pace doesn't gel as well with me.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I really think a lot of it has to do with how the world is constructed in The Division.

There is such immense attention to detail and environment compared to Destiny. Destiny, despite the quality of its art and graphics, always had its "strings" showing. Planets felt less like planets and more collections of areas with bad guys spawned/placed throughout.

The Division actually feels like a lived-in world. I never felt that with Destiny. Every single world felt barren and yet somehow "fresh". Mars felt more like a pretty playset with bad guys sprinkled around, rather than a hostile planet occupied by a horde.

I feel like I'm not explaining myself well, but The Division's world feels interesting and alive, something that Destiny lacked (outside of the Grimoire).

SomTervo

On your own, or starting with a framework?
If framework-less, you are a brave soul.

Framework as in a grid system or bootstrap to make it easier?

If so, framework-less :(

It's pretty intense. And the website looks mediocre. It's a slap-up job, anyway. 95% of the client's users will be desktop and it's my first website ever. And I'm
not a designer

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I really think a lot of it has to do with how the world is constructed in The Division.

There is such immense attention to detail and environment compared to Destiny. Destiny, despite the quality of its art and graphics, always had its "strings" showing. Planets felt less like planets and more collections of areas with bad guys spawned/placed throughout.

The Division actually feels like a lived-in world. I never felt that with Destiny. Every single world felt barren and yet somehow "fresh". Mars felt more like a pretty playset with bad guys sprinkled around, rather than a hostile planet occupied by a horde.

I feel like I'm not explaining myself well, but The Division's world feels interesting and alive, something that Destiny lacked (outside of the Grimoire).

I 100% agree with you - but I'd also add that the Division's fully integrated design makes it that much more enjoyable to be in, in contrast with Destiny's completely chopped-up and instanced design.

To get from Earth to Mars in Destiny:
> hold a button
> look at a screen. Scroll to planet
> hold a button

To get from Camp Hudson to Stuyvesant (ignoring fast travel):
> physically walk out of Camp Hudson
> physically make your way across the city on-foot
> avoid goons, look for shortcuts, keep an eye out for loot
> physically walk into Stuyvesant (going by the Beta map size, this would take like 15-20 mins at least)

It's possible to do without a menu in sight, while being 100% immersed in the city which, as you previously mentioned, is phenomenally detailed and well designed.

Not really when we consider that effective range is basically same as for AR's most of the time, because how environments are builds. I can unload mag from 6k DPS Liberator to player and not even put in dent, and then my friend with shitty DPS build 2-3 hit kills same player with his M1A. That is major unbalance.

I completely agree

SomTervo

I get that its optional to buy or not. What we don't know is:

1) After we buy the 2nd expansion if the PvE only environment disappears or if you can select which game type to play.

I don't disagree with most of your points, but

A) Do you seriously think they'll force you into a PVP-only gameworld once you buy the second expansion? That is literally insane. That would be like buying a map pack for CoD or something and not being allowed to play the Singleplayer campaign anymore. It will not work like this.

B) I think you're worrying way too much about this. Again, some of your concerns are well-founded; for instance, it might divide the player base, esp. the PvP lovers, into the DLC world. But This is nowhere near as much of a big problem for The Division as it is for other games. The Division's map is far smaller than any MMO, so that's immediately a flawed comparison. And The Division doesn't rely on playlists/traditional matchmaking either, so that's also a flawed comparison.

I don't think there's anything/much to worry about.

Immersion + Atmo > ease of access imo :p (to add to the Destiny vs. Division talk)

Word

Reckheim

Thanks for the help guys, i'll probably end up getting the PC version. You guys prefer to play the game with a keyboard/mouse or with controller? Seems like the type of game that might work better with a controller.

Tovarisc

the M1A will definitely need some balancing after launch. Switch the recoil patterns of the SCAR-H and M1A might just do it.

A real SCAR doesn't have nearly as much recoil as the game portrays. It's an incredibly stable gun.
http://youtu.be/_7fB2-S7sC0

Yeah, I felt so confused when I fired SCAR-H and then M1A. It's like developers accidentally gave M1A recoil kick that was meant for SCAR-H while M1A rocks SCAR-H's intended recoil. Current recoil split between the two doesn't make any sense because;

M1A: Very high damage / bullet, good RPM, decent mag for damage delivered and basically zero recoil. Spam away! Can 2-3 hit kill even high stamina build player.

SCAR-H: Mediocre to low damage / bullet, good RPM, good mag for damage delivered and large amounts of vertical recoil. Time between shots can get quite long. Tickles players, kinda... maybe.

M44 Carbine aka Mosin Nagant is kinda nice I guess and can 2 hit kill player, but you are just better off taking multi-purpose rifle like M1A. It does same thing as M44 while being more versatile with lower recoil and has a lot higher RPM.

Granadier

Not really when we consider that effective range is basically same as for AR's most of the time, because how environments are builds. I can unload mag from 6k DPS Liberator to player and not even put in dent, and then my friend with shitty DPS build 2-3 hit kills same player with his M1A. That is major unbalance.

Agree about the imbalance, but I had a 6k Liberator and was absolutely melting players. Just a matter of landing your shots.

Yeah, I felt so confused when I fired SCAR-H and then M1A. It's like developers accidentally gave M1A recoil kick that was meant for SCAR-H while M1A rocks SCAR-H's intended recoil. Current recoil split between the two doesn't make any sense because;

M1A: Very high damage / bullet, good RPM, decent mag for damage delivered and basically zero recoil. Spam away! Can 2-3 hit kill even high stamina build player.

SCAR-H: Mediocre to low damage / bullet, good RPM, good mag for damage delivered and large amounts of vertical recoil. Time between shots can get quite long. Tickles players, kinda... maybe.

M44 Carbine aka Mosin Nagant is kinda nice I guess and can 2 hit kill player, but you are just better off taking multi-purpose rifle like M1A. It does same thing as M44 while being more versatile with lower recoil even when having a lot higher RPM.

This is a perfect synopsis of marksman rifles in the beta. Hopefully it's tweaked in release.

Tovarisc

Agree about the imbalance, but I had a 6k Liberator and was absolutely melting players. Just a matter of landing your shots.

I noticed it was more about what kind player build you met than about if you missed 5 bullets from 36 or not. I could melt tech and firearms builds, fresh level 8's would explode from like 5 hits to torso, but high stamina stacking builds didn't give flying fuck about my 6k DPS Liberator. Especially if they had stacked any extra armor, quite many stamina items have +X to armor.

This came very obvious when I got unload mag right into players face from few meters away and he was still, making every round hit because of distance being so small. Then friend ran up and 2 hit killed that walking tank, lalz.

Granadier

I noticed it was more about what kind player build you met than about if you missed 5 bullets from 36 or not. I could melt tech and firearms builds, fresh level 8's would explode from like 5 hits to torso, but high stamina stacking builds didn't give flying fuck about my 6k DPS Liberator. Especially if they had stacked any extra armor, quite many stamina items have +X to armor.

This came very obvious when I got unload mag right into players face from few meters away and he was still, making every round hit because of distance being so small. Then friend ran up and 2 hit killed that walking tank, lalz.

Oh yeah, you have a point there. It's more obvious when going against tank builds. (ex: the video I posted earlier of the camping nest breach)
Did they give marksman rifles have inherent armor pen or something?

Tovarisc

Oh yeah, you have a point there. It's more obvious when going against tank builds. (ex: the video I posted earlier of the camping nest breach)
Did they give marksman rifles have inherent armor pen or something?

Only stated build-in bonus is extra headshot damage, but even then also bodyshots seem to do way too much damage so I wouldn't be surprised if there was some hidden armor penetration stat.

Anyone know if this game will have a companion app. I have a friend convinced he'll be able to help the squad from his cellphone on lunch break and I haven't heard anything about it.

Thanks for the help guys, i'll probably end up getting the PC version. You guys prefer to play the game with a keyboard/mouse or with controller? Seems like the type of game that might work better with a controller.

I play it with an Xbox One controller on PC. I don't like KB+M for 3rd person shooters.

T.O.P

Banned

Played both betas with the X1 controller but i think i'll go kb/m in the final game, i prefer it considering the weapons recoil being a lot more osevere than ther tps-syle games

Killzig

GDGDGJZ.jpg

My high score, started in Beijing and flew to JFK. Going to try starting in Pyongyang now.

Edit: doesn't seem to let me start there. ;(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom