• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Division Open Beta Thread: Is it out yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

_woLf

I hope this doesn't become DayZ-esque where you'll only see a handful of people after a long time of walking.

This is my concern as well. 24 spanning the entire dark zone area seems a lot lower than I expected and really doesn't have the beta be a good judge of how it'll feel. :/

JackEtc

Map below.

The red outline is the Beta area

The white lines (to the north and south) are the full game region. It's almost 5 times bigger than the Beta size, including DZ. I think it's bigger than it first appears when you factor in the big stretch to the south-east and the underground. Ripe for the DLC, too.

VJNn6Hn.png

That's....disappointing to say the least. The initial reveal of the game seemed to imply we'd be getting multiple boroughs, or manhattan at the least. I was looking forward to finding my old place and then trekking down to Soho where I worked...but oh well. That's a bummer

remember that not only is the map a lot smaller than DayZs oversized hellhole of a map but it also has the same Kind of Locations (the landmarks, contaminated zones, safehouses and extraction zones) that will automatically have People come together there.

People go to landmarks to kill NPCs. Go into contaminated zones to grab chests. Go to extraction sites to extract, etc...

The Chance of randomly rounding a Corner and being face to face with someone is low, but the Chance to meet People at hot spots is a LOT higher, adding to surprise for the first and Tension for the latter.

This. You'll be seeing plenty of other players in the Dark Zone.

deoee

That's....disappointing to say the least. The initial reveal of the game seemed to imply we'd be getting multiple boroughs, or manhattan at the least. I was looking forward to finding my old place and then trekking down to Soho where I worked...but oh well. That's a bummer
here we go again
Have you played the beta? the area was huge and dense.

Lima

I hope this doesn't become DayZ-esque where you'll only see a handful of people after a long time of walking.

I guess we will see hotspots at certain landmarks where people find the AI easy and quick to kill etc. Also certain extraction zones like the garage in the beta and of course areas that are easy to defend like the library in the beta when going rogue.

The only problem I see with the whole zone only hosting 24 players is that whenever we see a solo person or a 2 man squad we are going to open fire since running down 80 or 120 seconds will be easy as shit.

Would be cool if the matchmaking tried to primarily match us with other groups of 4.

Klyka

Banned

with the amount of detail and care put into the city, it would have been a mammoth project for them to create the entire city. pretty much impossible to just pull off like that. they might expand the world with expansions though.

The only problem I see with the whole zone only hosting 24 players is that whenever we see a solo person or a 2 man squad we are going to open fire since running down 80 or 120 seconds will be easy as shit.

I don't know about that. Remember that not all players want to go Rogue--many just want to hunt Rogues. I passed a lot of smaller groups in the Beta.

Plus, some groups split up, and what you thought was 1-2 players was 3-4.

remember that not only is the map a lot smaller than DayZs oversized hellhole of a map but it also has the same Kind of Locations (the landmarks, contaminated zones, safehouses and extraction zones) that will automatically have People come together there.

People go to landmarks to kill NPCs. Go into contaminated zones to grab chests. Go to extraction sites to extract, etc...

The Chance of randomly rounding a Corner and being face to face with someone is low, but the Chance to meet People at hot spots is a LOT higher, adding to surprise for the first and Tension for the latter.

You can still venture out into higher level areas if you're underleveled right? I'm not sure how the Dark Zone works as the Beta restricted access to other areas.

This is my concern as well. 24 spanning the entire dark zone area seems a lot lower than I expected and really doesn't have the beta be a good judge of how it'll feel. :/

Klyka makes a good point that there will probably be several high traffic areas and the map is way smaller compared to Chernarus.

This is hilarious. During the beta my group of four totally caught people like this off gaurd. We would split up into twos and follow each other leaving some distance and sure enough people would shoot at one of us and it was on. I'm so glad the game doesn't single out people who are in groups and who are not. Better think that shit over really good before firing that weapon. Haha.

Was you going to see if you could get you old job back?

Tovarisc

You can still venture out into higher level areas if you're underleveled right? I'm not sure how the Dark Zone works as the Beta restricted access to other areas.

Yeah, you can freely try going to Northwards. At some point enemies just out level you so hardcore that you are going die from 1-2 hits.

JackEtc

here we go again
Have you played the beta? the area was huge and dense.

I did, but as a new yorker it would've been cool to be able to explore more areas other than midtown. I mean the map they have right now is basically "ARE YOU A TOURIST? IF SO NYC CITY LIMITS HERE". Plenty of cool shit up and downtown, but I guess a lot of streets would look boring/repetitive.
with the amount of detail and care put into the city, it would have been a mammoth project for them to create the entire city. pretty much impossible to just pull off like that. they might expand the world with expansions though.
Yeah, I know the undertaking would be massive. But like you said expansions into other areas would be dope.

Was you going to see if you could get you old job back?
Was me? Me not sure.
it was an internship

Klyka

Banned
I did, but as a new yorker it would've been cool to be able to explore more areas other than midtown. I mean the map they have right now is basically "ARE YOU A TOURIST? IF SO NYC CITY LIMITS HERE". Plenty of cool shit up and downtown, but I guess a lot of streets would look boring/repetitive.

Yeah, I know the undertaking would be massive. But like you said expansions into other areas would be dope.

Was me? Me not sure.
it was an internship

The community is pretty ure though that the lvl 1-4 tutorial/prologue will take place in Brooklyn, so....maybe you get a bit of that!

lt519

Just grabbed the gold digital edition (+$.99 tree theme) to get the $15 credit. Going to pre-load then bring my PS4 with me on work travel. Hopefully Homewood Extended Stay (Hilton brand) doesn't have consoles blocked, had trouble at a Hilton Garden Inn once. Played Destiny TTK over a Marriott brand hotel for two weeks no problem (well lots of problems with lag and NAT voice chat problems) but it was doable.

Such a pain and the ass to lug the thing around, but I don't want to miss some of the excitement around launch. Working 12 hour days plus dinner with co-workers doesn't leave much left, but then again I'm in a hotel with nothing to do the rest of the time. Should have 1-2 full days off too.

Nokterian

759.gif

You do know there are multiple ways to explore right? Even for the beta i could go in abandoned homes and founded loot since i got a bunch of lockpicks. Went up a few buildings killing enemies lots and lots of way to explore and there is the underground from the subway etc. This was just a small taste i expect to be even more diverse in the full game the whole feeling of walking there and seeing so much details everywhere it felt dense and it doesn't look small to me.

Gryph

I'm happy with how big the game looks like It'll be.

But as a former New Yorker I'd love to at least see the map extended up to cover a little bit of Central Park / Columbus Circle. Maybe down far enough to get a bit of the village / Washington Square Park.

There's more to NYC than Madison Square Garden and Times Square...

deadduck

I've gone from PS4 version to Digital Gold on PS4 and double dip on PC so I can play with PC friends that the beta convinced.

Week off work booked from the 8th.

Hype.

Klyka

Banned
I've gone from PS4 version to Digital Gold on PS4 and double dip on PC so I can play with PC friends that the beta convinced.

Week off work booked from the 8th.

Hype.

I didn't get the week off and I'll work early on release day and then two late shifts in a row directly afterwards, but I DID manage to get the Weekend off! yay! And then end of march i'll take my vacation days :D

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

759.gif

You do know there are multiple ways to explore right? Even for the beta i could go in abandoned homes and founded loot since i got a bunch of lockpicks. Went up a few buildings killing enemies lots and lots of way to explore and there is the underground from the subway etc. This was just a small taste i expect to be even more diverse in the full game the whole feeling of walking there and seeing so much details everywhere it felt dense and it doesn't look small to me.

yo09i0f.gif

I see we're at the point that we break down

baby-crying-o.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom